Favorite/Least favorite weapon in the game?

• 68 results
#1 Posted by Giantstalker (1729 posts) -

After playing through the game twice, my favorite I think has to go to the heavy rifle. Upgraded, it basically trivializes the last two bosses and allows you to mow through any situation.

Least favorite is the revolver, probably because there are more powerful/more stealthy options throughout. Although I guess you find a lot of ammo for it, as a plus.

#2 Posted by HODGEY3000 (344 posts) -

i think the sniper rifle is terrible in this game 

the silenced pistol is the gun i used the most

#3 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Yeah, if you're playing stealth, a 10mm with a silencer, damage upgrade, and laser sight is the best.

#4 Posted by Kandycane2029 (511 posts) -

I've yet to use anything other than the tranq rifle.

#5 Posted by Helimocopter (369 posts) -

I LOVE the shotgun with upgrades, but yeah, sniper is a piece of shit, i also wasn't a huge fan of the machine pistol, but I would use it because i always had ammo for it.

#6 Posted by eroticfishcake (7792 posts) -

I've yet to use anything other then own hands...but my favourite weapon? Probably the EMP grenade since it helps on boss fights. Granted, I did use the stun gun a lot and the tranq. gun made some situations a bit easier but for the most part, take downs are the best. Fun to watch, good XP reward and theoretically infinite. As for the worst weapon, I'm not so sure since I rarely used any of them. The machine pistol was kinda "meh" though. Why use that when you've got an assault rifle?

#7 Posted by Turambar (6898 posts) -

10mm pistol is rather hilarious with upgrades. Being the only weapon that has that "pierce armor" upgrade, even when not used as a close range silencer, it can take down a tank with just a dozen shots.

#8 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

Lazer rifle is my absolute favorite. Combine with the augmentation that lets you see through walls, and start headshoting dudes in different parts of the level.

#9 Posted by StarvingGamer (8558 posts) -

Stungun

#10 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (767 posts) -

Takedowns were my weapon of choice, other than that fully upgraded assault rifle is pretty rad.

#11 Posted by CenturionCajun (1461 posts) -

The 10mm Pistol is just an all around effective weapon when you fully upgrade it. Probably least favorite would be the Stun Gun or the like since I just want to shoot people.

#12 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Crossbow, revolver and tranquilizer rifle are awesome, i obviously use the tranq rifle the most. Least favorite, stun gun, it sucks. Also, it was kind of a letdown that there are no melee weapons, i understand that there's no need because you have takedowns, but still.

#13 Posted by krazy_kyle (715 posts) -

Favourite = 9MM pistol because it uses less space than most weapons, it's deadly when upgraded and just looks awesome. 

Least favorite = weapons like sniper rifles and crossbows, including the tranq gun. taking enemies from far away just takes the fun out of it for me really. OH and the P.E.P.S :S WHAT A PIECE OF S**T!

#14 Posted by Legend (2664 posts) -
@Tennmuerti

Lazer rifle is my absolute favorite. Combine with the augmentation that lets you see through walls, and start headshoting dudes in different parts of the level.

Yeah, it's a shame you don't get it earlier in the game.
#15 Posted by TheHT (11802 posts) -

Most favourite is the pistol, silenced with laser, etc. Really satisfying to just pop out of cover and land a stealthy headshot. Though there's something really satisfying about using a fully upgraded combat rifle to just start dumping into dudes.

Least favourite's the revolver. Never picked one up, not even to see what it was like. Well, ok, except for the revolver that was infront of Isias, but that was only because I was worried if I left it...

#16 Posted by ezekielzero (183 posts) -

I personally thought the P.E.P.S. was pretty awesome, and had a couple of great uses like taking down groups of goons with one shot, or at least knocking them down. I always kept a revolver for the boss fights, it does a great job of tearing through the bosses with the explosive upgrade, took down most of the bosses in 7 hits.

#17 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

I beat the second boss today and recorded it, it was really hard and frustrating with the heavy rifle.

#18 Posted by Moonling (61 posts) -

best weapon in the game is obviously the WALL PUNCH!

#19 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Favorite is the pistol. My least favorite would be the the ones I never used like the crossbow and the shotgun.

#20 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -

I think every weapon in that game is pretty terrible

#21 Posted by Redbullet685 (6085 posts) -

I use the 10 mm Pistol with 2x reload speed, 2x ammo upgrade, silencer, damage upgrade. 

My least favorite is the Machine Pistol.

#22 Posted by SerHulse (688 posts) -

The 10MM is a beast in this game, really if you aren't going for the non-lethal playthrough, the pistol is awesome, laser sight, silencer, armour piercing, you can 1 shot a lot of the enemies with it (headshots obviously) at a pretty long range.

Least favourite is the Sniper, when I found one on the top of the Gas Station (Level 4 hacking required, round the back of the big billboard) I was elated, but found out it was a piece of shit compared to my Target Leading System Traq Gun

#23 Posted by Rattle618 (1456 posts) -

Fully upgraded machine pistol is cool, but I dont get to use it that often cause Im not killing dudes.

#24 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

The automatic guns should have a single shot and burst fire mode. The way those things dump is fucking ridiculous. Oh, you had 40 rounds for your assault rifle? WELL NOW YOU HAVE TWO.

#25 Posted by The_Nubster (2359 posts) -
@Napalm said:
The automatic guns should have a single shot and burst fire mode. The way those things dump is fucking ridiculous. Oh, you had 40 rounds for your assault rifle? WELL NOW YOU HAVE TWO.
Yeah, I started a file to play as a shooter. Ammo is scarce as balls. ):
#26 Posted by The_Nubster (2359 posts) -
@Moonling said:

best weapon in the game is obviously the WALL PUNCH!

Yes.
#27 Edited by Spoonman671 (4776 posts) -

10mm pistol is pretty much the only weapon you really need to take with you everywhere.  Anything else you'll need you are likely to find on your missions.

EDIT:  And my least favorite is probably the crossbow.  Even though I had the aim assisting upgrade I would still miss a lot of long-distance shots, despite absolutely having the crosshairs on a stationary target.

#28 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

Favorite: 10mm Pistol (With silencer, naturally)
Least favorite: I don't know, everything else?

#29 Posted by UnrealDP (1221 posts) -

How did you not like the revolver? You can upgrade it to fire explosive rounds and it can hold SEVEN shots! Not five. Not six. Seven!

#30 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3245 posts) -

The stun gun. Used it more than anything.

#31 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5154 posts) -

Favourite: my bare metallic hands.

Least favourite: my bate metallic hands (stupid achievement) .

#32 Posted by Casey25 (141 posts) -

I got the revolver at the start of the game and loved it, such a badass weapon, especially when you upgrade the rounds to EXPLODING BULLETS!  I had that holstered whenever i was walking around the cities in case some thugs tried to threaten me. 

I completely ignored the combat rifle and machine pistol, i've used enough of those in other fpses. 

The 10 mm pistol seemed really lame...until you upgrade it fully.  Then its the perfect weapon for any warehouse/office/enemy base with tons of guards.  Just go sam fisher style (conviction-era, mostly) and pop heads when you need to.  The animation when he pulls it out is badass, too; reminds me of the halo 1 pistol. 

I remember getting a shotgun by hacking into a police officer's computer and finding out what room it was stored in, so it felt really special to get a weapon that powerful in what seemed like an early part of the game.  Doesn't one shot everything unupgraded, but it sounds like it packs a punch and i like the reload animation. 

I passed on the sniper and went for the crossbow, and picking off enemy snipers from long distances using the lead targeting assist upgrade was really satisfying.  And it was a nice touch how the enemies dont die instantly when you crossbow them; they kind of writhe on the ground in pain for a few seconds.  I remember nailing an armored guard's head to a wall and watching him hang from the bolt, a morbidly awesome little detail. 

I never found a rocket launcher.  When i found the laser i was stoked because it looked like it would be really powerful but i was completely underwhelmed when i used it. 

Heavy rifle is sick, of course.  Could always use more dakka. 

I really don't like the nonlethal weapons.  Not using the badass (and well designed, imo) weapons would make me miss out on all those cool moments i had.   My playstyle used all the stealth skills i've learned from splinter cell and the like WITHOUT most of the stealth upgrades and invisibility.  I ignored all shooting augs and got mostly hacking and any augs that would give me a new route to take (gas immunity, icarus landing system, picking up heavy stuff, etc.) 

So i used old fashioned smarts and stealth as well as hacking and side routes.  I could silently kill up close w/ the 10mm or pick off snipers w/ the crossbow without detection, but if i got in trouble or just saw strength as a simple solution i went loud as hell.  This was the most fun for me, and so i didn't see a role at all for nonlethals.

AND...! 

#33 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

The Rocket Launcher is the absolute worst. It takes up a huge amount of space and ammo for it is extremely rare. Furthermore, you never need it if you have a few EMP grenades with you at all times. 

The silenced pistol and the stun gun are excellent for stealth, Heavy Rifle for all other situations.

#34 Edited by ESWAT (54 posts) -

Fav: My bare hands. (or Stun Gun for bosses)

Worst: Mines. Sensitive little bitches.

#35 Posted by Enigma777 (6059 posts) -

To be honest. Love all the weapons. They're all really cool. Even something like the assault riffle has some amazing upgrades.

#36 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -

The shooting in the game is not great. That's why I prefer to use sniper rifle (silenced) and tranquilized rifle whenever I can.

#37 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11406 posts) -

I like the tranq rifle the best, because it's good at knocking dudes out at long range (especially with the mod that adjusts the scope for the arc of the dart), and it works at close range too.  

#38 Posted by SymbolliC (261 posts) -

I never really used the PEPS gun until you I was heading up against 20 crazed people then... BOOM.. they're all sleeping. :)

Favorite: 10mm Pistol with all upgrades.
Least: Machine Pistol

#39 Posted by Animasta (14727 posts) -

@UnrealDP said:

How did you not like the revolver? You can upgrade it to fire explosive rounds and it can hold SEVEN shots! Not five. Not six. Seven!

yeah the explosive rounds made the revolver my favorite.

#40 Posted by SuperCycle (333 posts) -

For offensive weapons I liked the Heavy Rifle and the Gernade Launcher, I got the Grenade Launcher after the mission involving Tongs son. I think it might have been a pre-order DLC mission, I got the code even though I didn't preorder.  Anyways The Grenade Launcher goes through the final two bosses like butter. 4 shots for each for the bosses on Normal, 5 or 6 on hard. 

Non Lethal, the Stun Gun is the best, it may take a while to reload and you can't upgrade it, but it takes down anyone with one shot, and if I was smart about it I could take down an entire room with that gun very quickly. 

#41 Posted by Levius (1230 posts) -

The grenade launcher makes the third boss a joke. I got wasted by him on my first try so decided to try out the grenade launcher, he literally went down so fast I thought there was a glitch.

I found the silenced sniper rifle disappointing, it felt no more powerful than the 10mm pistol.

#42 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

Pistol, upgraded, laser sight rocks.
AR, upgraded, back up weapon,
Stun gun for when I'm feeling non lethal.

#43 Posted by GaspoweR (3517 posts) -

@dcgc said:

The shooting in the game is not great. That's why I prefer to use sniper rifle (silenced) and tranquilized rifle whenever I can.

Wait, I thought the sniper rifle CAN'T be silenced in this game?

#44 Posted by Liquidus (942 posts) -

10mm pistol is probably the best gun in the game imo. It's got a sexy reload.

#45 Posted by GaspoweR (3517 posts) -

And oh ELBOW BLADES

#46 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -
@GaspoweR said:

@dcgc said:

Wait, I thought the sniper rifle CAN'T be silenced in this game?

The normal sniper rifle cannot, but there is a silenced sniper rifle.
#47 Posted by owack6 (222 posts) -

After 2 playthroughs dont think i killed anyone except the bosses, so Fists as favorite weapon?

#48 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

@AmatureIdiot said:

The grenade launcher makes the third boss a joke. I got wasted by him on my first try so decided to try out the grenade launcher, he literally went down so fast I thought there was a glitch.

I found the silenced sniper rifle disappointing, it felt no more powerful than the 10mm pistol.

Sniper rifles are mainly good for taking out dudes who are quite far away, since weapons have a maximum range, at some point the pistol will just do no dammage. This is usually other snipers, and there are not many of those in the game.

#49 Posted by cwdawg1224 (281 posts) -

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

Yeah, if you're playing stealth, a 10mm with a silencer, damage upgrade, and laser sight is the best.

Yepper.

#50 Posted by 137 (481 posts) -

@krazy_kyle said:

Favourite = 9MM pistol because it uses less space than most weapons, it's deadly when upgraded and just looks awesome. Least favorite = weapons like sniper rifles and crossbows, including the tranq gun. taking enemies from far away just takes the fun out of it for me really. OH and the P.E.P.S :S WHAT A PIECE OF S**T!

lol co signed on the peps.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.