Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By JCGamer

First of all, I think that this game made me finally realize that I hate stealth. That or I just really suck at stealth. I think now a days, I just want to play through a game and stealth for me just a big road block to my enjoyment of that game. As I think about it, stealth levels usually requires the player to stare at people moving back and forth so you can memorize a pattern, then slowly move forward, eventually get spotted or seen and then you either run away and wait till some arbitrary "alert" meter dies down so you can start over again or you just reset the level. It's trial and error at it's worst and I just don't have time for it anymore. Come to think of it, I don't think I really enjoyed the stealth aspects of MGS 4 (trying to sneak around on the ship level drove me crazy).

So this game really didn't set in with me until about half way through the game when I finally decided to bag all of the stealth stuff that I sucked at anyway and decided to go full combat all the time-I guess that the game allowed me to go that route is a "plus" for its open design, but even with all the combat attributes powered up, combat still never felt that great. While I actually enjoyed parts of the game after going all combat, I never really not into the story. 2 of the main characters (Sarif and Pritcher) just sort of drove me crazy most of the time and none of the other characters really were that memorable. Didn't help that the main character has no personality and sounded terrible. And what about that ending? The entire game I'm kind of looking for Megan Reed (super scientist and ex-girlfriend) and when I finally find her the game just sort of glosses over the encounter and then really gives you no closure to that relationship at the end of the game. And they also just throw you into some remote level in the arctic (not sure why someone would build a station there) and then gives you frickin' "zombies" to fight at the end of the game. As the combat was kind of wonky, having to fight off dozens of dudes at a time wasn't the best experience I could think of. Perhaps for those who went the stealth route, that portion was a bit better, but kind of annoyed me on the combat side.

Also, this game had the worst in-game map ever. It took way to long to load the map (and the sub screen for that matter), but trying to navigate through the hubs were painful. If any game in recent memory could have benefited from a HUD mini-map, it's this one. Having the location makers show up in your HUD was a help, but most of the time I would be running into dead ends or really had no idea where to go as the "go-to" marker was on a different level that had no apparent access point from the level I was on. Anyway, I just found the map to be very frustration to use.

And the boss battles. Man, I have no idea how anyone not focused on combat ever beat those dudes. These encounter just sort of place you into a closed space and you would shoot at each other until one of you were dead. Not sure how anyone could stealth or hack their way though these encounters. I ended up shooting, running, saving and repeat, No real strategy. The last boss did kind of have more options for the way you could take it out though-I did a combo of hacking and combat.

It's not that I hated this game, some of the things I did enjoy. For some reason, I kind of dug the hacking mini-game. I have no idea why as it's just random luck/planning on if you are going to hack the thing or not, but I enjoyed it none the less. It probably had to do with the little bit of experience you got for each successful hack. It gave you a small sense of accomplishment and progression. Also, even as I complain and complain about the combat, it was sort of satisfying to take cover and then head shot the enemies one-by-one. Once agin, nice to see the little experience point meter go up with each kill and more so for each headshot.

Anyway, not a terrible game but just an average forgettable one. I think the fact that it was the first big release of the holiday season gave it more press and credibility than it would have gotten if it came out in November.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JCGamer

First of all, I think that this game made me finally realize that I hate stealth. That or I just really suck at stealth. I think now a days, I just want to play through a game and stealth for me just a big road block to my enjoyment of that game. As I think about it, stealth levels usually requires the player to stare at people moving back and forth so you can memorize a pattern, then slowly move forward, eventually get spotted or seen and then you either run away and wait till some arbitrary "alert" meter dies down so you can start over again or you just reset the level. It's trial and error at it's worst and I just don't have time for it anymore. Come to think of it, I don't think I really enjoyed the stealth aspects of MGS 4 (trying to sneak around on the ship level drove me crazy).

So this game really didn't set in with me until about half way through the game when I finally decided to bag all of the stealth stuff that I sucked at anyway and decided to go full combat all the time-I guess that the game allowed me to go that route is a "plus" for its open design, but even with all the combat attributes powered up, combat still never felt that great. While I actually enjoyed parts of the game after going all combat, I never really not into the story. 2 of the main characters (Sarif and Pritcher) just sort of drove me crazy most of the time and none of the other characters really were that memorable. Didn't help that the main character has no personality and sounded terrible. And what about that ending? The entire game I'm kind of looking for Megan Reed (super scientist and ex-girlfriend) and when I finally find her the game just sort of glosses over the encounter and then really gives you no closure to that relationship at the end of the game. And they also just throw you into some remote level in the arctic (not sure why someone would build a station there) and then gives you frickin' "zombies" to fight at the end of the game. As the combat was kind of wonky, having to fight off dozens of dudes at a time wasn't the best experience I could think of. Perhaps for those who went the stealth route, that portion was a bit better, but kind of annoyed me on the combat side.

Also, this game had the worst in-game map ever. It took way to long to load the map (and the sub screen for that matter), but trying to navigate through the hubs were painful. If any game in recent memory could have benefited from a HUD mini-map, it's this one. Having the location makers show up in your HUD was a help, but most of the time I would be running into dead ends or really had no idea where to go as the "go-to" marker was on a different level that had no apparent access point from the level I was on. Anyway, I just found the map to be very frustration to use.

And the boss battles. Man, I have no idea how anyone not focused on combat ever beat those dudes. These encounter just sort of place you into a closed space and you would shoot at each other until one of you were dead. Not sure how anyone could stealth or hack their way though these encounters. I ended up shooting, running, saving and repeat, No real strategy. The last boss did kind of have more options for the way you could take it out though-I did a combo of hacking and combat.

It's not that I hated this game, some of the things I did enjoy. For some reason, I kind of dug the hacking mini-game. I have no idea why as it's just random luck/planning on if you are going to hack the thing or not, but I enjoyed it none the less. It probably had to do with the little bit of experience you got for each successful hack. It gave you a small sense of accomplishment and progression. Also, even as I complain and complain about the combat, it was sort of satisfying to take cover and then head shot the enemies one-by-one. Once agin, nice to see the little experience point meter go up with each kill and more so for each headshot.

Anyway, not a terrible game but just an average forgettable one. I think the fact that it was the first big release of the holiday season gave it more press and credibility than it would have gotten if it came out in November.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.