Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Game of the Year, imo

• 68 results
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Cataphract1014

Aside from boss fights that really have no place in a game like this, this game is perfection. 

Jeff was ragging on the AI and combat, but I thought it was awesome.  I love stealth games.  I love clearing an entire level without being seen and leaving a stack of 5 unconscious guys in a vent.  I wonder what that would look like when they start to wake up.  5 pairs of legs all tangled in a air duct.

The witcher 2 is 2nd for me, but it loses out because it made me want to uninstall it during the "tutorial".

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By zombie2011

good call seeing the biggest games this year haven't even come out yet.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Oldirtybearon

the boss fights aren't bad per se, but the fact that there's no "stealthy" way to approach those bosses is what kills them for me. I was spec'd out for non-lethal stealth, and each boss was an absolute nightmare.  However if the "boss battles" were more like that one mission with the pilot (you know the one I'm talking about), I think that would've been more conducive to the Deus Ex experience. 

That being said, yeah, the AI is bad, and the combat is not as good as it could be, but I think people complaining about those things are missing the point. Deus Ex was never a shoot 'em up. I'd venture to say it was always more about stealth and picking your spots and going through a level like a ghost. That's been my experience with Deus Ex and HR anyhow.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Are you sure it's not your augmentations talking?

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#5  Edited By Wemibelle

Not to be one of those annoying Internet people, but shouldn't you wait until the whole year is over to say things like "This is the Game of the Year."?
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @zombie2011 said:

I didn't like Oblivion that much, so I probably won't be interested in Skyrim.

Uncharted 2 was amazing, but my PS3 is broken.   And that type of game can't be a game of the year for me personally.

Batman will be good.

Um, I don't know what else there is.  Unless Diablo 3 comes out this year(lolololol).
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's a strong contender...but Skyrim isn't out yet. Not to mention a bunch of other great titles later this year.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Spoonman671

As long as the gameplay isn't important in your games.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @Spoonman671 said:
    The gameplay is solid. The reason people mention more "nitpicks" than anything else is because mentioning all of the awesome stuff in this game would be spoiling a hell of a lot of the experience. I can't give you specific examples of my favourite gameplay moments because I'd need to provide context, context that would spoil that particular mission or event. It's the same reason Jeff couldn't really come out and say why the game affected him the way it did.
    swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By swoxx

@zombie2011 said:

My sentiments exactly.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By valrog

I don't know, this year's Game of The Year is going to be hard to choose for me...

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @KingWilly said:
    @Spoonman671 said:
    The gameplay is solid. The reason people mention more "nitpicks" than anything else is because mentioning all of the awesome stuff in this game would be spoiling a hell of a lot of the experience. I can't give you specific examples of my favourite gameplay moments because I'd need to provide context, context that would spoil that particular mission or event. It's the same reason Jeff couldn't really come out and say why the game affected him the way it did.
    Thanks for the reassurance!
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kingzetta

There are still like 15 huge games still to come out

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Spoonman671 said:

I liked the gameplay?

@kingzetta said:

I can only think of like 3, so they aren't that huge to me apparently.
    NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NekuCTR

every response is people ragging on another persons opinions, oh how I love these forums. PERHAPS YOU MISSED THE I-M-O!!!!!

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kingzetta
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    @Spoonman671 said:

I liked the gameplay?

@kingzetta said:

I can only think of like 3, so they aren't that huge to me apparently.
    I feel sorry for you then.
    Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Klei

I think Deus Ex : Human Revolution may not be going to win the GOTY, but it will win in one particular area. You see, unlike many games that are released throughout 2011, it will be one of the few that WILL be remembered as the years go on. We've got a modern classic in our hands. It reminds me of the first Deus Ex, actually. It didn't score 9's on the metacritic, yet it became one of the greatest games of all time.
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @kingzetta: Why?  I can think of Skyrim, Batman, and Uncharted as "huge" games.  What else is huge in your opinion that are the other 12? 

Battlefield I guess, but it really isn't on my radar as something I have to play.   So that is 4.  What are the other 11?
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By louiedog

@Cataphract1014 said:

@kingzetta: Why? I can think of Skyrim, Batman, and Uncharted as "huge" games. What else is huge in your opinion that are the other 12? Battlefield I guess, but it really isn't on my radar as something I have to play. So that is 4. What are the other 11?

MW3, Gears, Rage, Forza, Assassin's Creed, Saints Row, and Madden. Those are just the big budget games that are sequels to undeniably well received franchises or, in the case of Rage, coming from a strong pedigree. There's also stuff like Dead Island, Driver San Francisco (didn't put this above because arcade racers haven't always been well received lately, even when they're great), Dark Souls, and Warhammer. Even though I'll probably only play a couple of them, all of those games have been receiving positive buzz and have the potential to be both critical and/or commercial successes. Happy? Probably not.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jayjonesjunior
    @Cataphract1014: you thought the game was good because you never had to deal with its flaws like AI and the shooting, this is not a Stealth game, its a decision game, with options, if only one of those options works (stealth) the game is not good.

definitely not GOTY.
    theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By theguy

I'm really enjoying it at the moment but I'm waiting for Skyrim and Battlefield. I'm guessing Skyrim will be my goty but I'll have to wait and see.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Animasta

For me, it's in the top 3, might be GOTY but I dunno... witcher 2 and portal 2 were AWFULLY GOOD.

bill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bill
    @zombie2011 said:

lmfao
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By napalm
    @zombie2011 said:

Nice bullshit, condescending attitude.
    Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vodun

Mother fucker! Game got dopefish in it! GOTY!

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

I wouldnt go that far with Portal 2 and Witcher 2 out this year (and a bunch of games still on the way). But the game is certainly better than people say it is. If they make a sequel (I hope they will) and get the shooting up to ME2 level (or ME3 by that time) and overall polish it a little more ... that would be awesome.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DAFTPUNK

BATMAN BATMAN BATMAN...INFINITE DRAGONS will CONQUER! 

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @louiedog said:

@Cataphract1014 said:

@kingzetta: Why? I can think of Skyrim, Batman, and Uncharted as "huge" games. What else is huge in your opinion that are the other 12? Battlefield I guess, but it really isn't on my radar as something I have to play. So that is 4. What are the other 11?

MW3, Gears, Rage, Forza, Assassin's Creed, Saints Row, and Madden. Those are just the big budget games that are sequels to undeniably well received franchises or, in the case of Rage, coming from a strong pedigree. There's also stuff like Dead Island, Driver San Francisco (didn't put this above because arcade racers haven't always been well received lately, even when they're great), Dark Souls, and Warhammer. Even though I'll probably only play a couple of them, all of those games have been receiving positive buzz and have the potential to be both critical and/or commercial successes. Happy? Probably not.

I did forget about Assassin's Creed, but aside from Rage none of those are really that interesting to me.  I'll probably play Gears eventually though.  For a game to be considered GOTY for me, I have to want it the day it comes out.  The only game listed there is Assassin's creed would be a day 1 if I have the spare money.
    @jayjonesjunior said:
    @Cataphract1014: you thought the game was good because you never had to deal with its flaws like AI and the shooting, this is not a Stealth game, its a decision game, with options, if only one of those options works (stealth) the game is not good.  definitely not GOTY.
    Thanks for telling me why I think something.  Where would I be without people on the internet telling me my opinion is wrong?
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By louiedog

@Cataphract1014 said:

@louiedog said:

@Cataphract1014 said:

I did forget about Assassin's Creed, but aside from Rage none of those are really that interesting to me. I'll probably play Gears eventually though. For a game to be considered GOTY for me, I have to want it the day it comes out. The only game listed there is Assassin's creed would be a day 1 if I have the spare money.

Most of them don't interest me either. Someone said there were still 15 big games coming out this year and you questioned it. I don't know why you seem to think they should be centered around your interests.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NTM
    @Cataphract1014: I haven't played it yet, so I can't say how good I think it is, but I will say this; maybe it's game of the year for you, but don't expect many, or any, gaming site or magazine to give it its game of the year.
    jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jayjonesjunior
    @Cataphract1014: You have no opinion, use the other options the game provides you and finish it again, one or two more times and then come back here and tell us if it's really so far The GOTY.

How can you have a opinion if you don't have all the facts at hand? you only finished the game once and using a single method.

Again, i wouldn't be saying this if it was a purely stealth game, but it's NOT!
    chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#33  Edited By chronicsmoke

Its a contender but there still is alot of great games that havent been released yet

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @jayjonesjunior said:
    @Cataphract1014: You have no opinion, use the other options the game provides you and finish it again, one or two more times and then come back here and tell us if it's really so far The GOTY.  How can you have a opinion if you don't have all the facts at hand? you only finished the game once and using a single method.  Again, i wouldn't be saying this if it was a purely stealth game, but it's NOT!
    Fantastic way to talk to people. "You didn't experience what I did so you have no opinion."  I like the stealth aspect.  I have no desire to play it in any other way.  Telling me to go play it in a way that I don't want to play it as isn't going to get me to agree without that it sucks.
    jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jayjonesjunior
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    @jayjonesjunior said:
    @Cataphract1014: You have no opinion, use the other options the game provides you and finish it again, one or two more times and then come back here and tell us if it's really so far The GOTY.  How can you have a opinion if you don't have all the facts at hand? you only finished the game once and using a single method.  Again, i wouldn't be saying this if it was a purely stealth game, but it's NOT!
    Fantastic way to talk to people. "You didn't experience what I did so you have no opinion."  I like the stealth aspect.  I have no desire to play it in any other way.  Telling me to go play it in a way that I don't want to play it as isn't going to get me to agree without that it sucks.
    i'm just saying if you want to be a journalist(the kind of people that says what's really GOTY material) and want people to respect your opinion you gotta have a solid one.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#36  Edited By alistercat

There is still some time to go. You might play something else you like more. For me it's got to be third, but until like 3 days before release I had no idea what this game was. Very surprised.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By asurastrike

Saint's Row The Third looks amazing, bro.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By redbliss

It's the end of the year? 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!! 

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By haggis
    @KingWilly said:
    the boss fights aren't bad per se, but the fact that there's no "stealthy" way to approach those bosses is what kills them for me. I was spec'd out for non-lethal stealth, and each boss was an absolute nightmare.  However if the "boss battles" were more like that one mission with the pilot (you know the one I'm talking about), I think that would've been more conducive to the Deus Ex experience.  That being said, yeah, the AI is bad, and the combat is not as good as it could be, but I think people complaining about those things are missing the point. Deus Ex was never a shoot 'em up. I'd venture to say it was always more about stealth and picking your spots and going through a level like a ghost. That's been my experience with Deus Ex and HR anyhow.
    Same here, spec'd for non-lethal stealth. I went into the first boss battle with a few grenades I had just found, though and ... no problem. Of course, I always assumed at some point I'd fail the stealth and need the combat rifle, so I had it on me. That helped a bit. But yeah, I'm feeling you on the boss battles. More than anywhere else, those sections begged for stealth options. I'm not sure what they were thinking. But yes, the stealth is king here and the rest of the game brings it together nicely. So damned many options. The game does have its weaknesses, but for the most part the AI and combat are about as good as I need them to be.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By MooseyMcMan

It's certainly my favorite game of the year (and I haven't even finished it). Well, at least thus far. Some good competition coming in the next few months. Like Batman. BATMAN! 

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By weltal

Portal 2 came out this year. I cannot agree.

Still a really good game.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By haggis
    @jayjonesjunior said:
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    @jayjonesjunior said:
    i'm just saying if you want to be a journalist(the kind of people that says what's really GOTY material) and want people to respect your opinion you gotta have a solid one.
    I thought the opinion was solid. Telling people their opinion is wrong because they didn't make the same choices as you is sort of lame. He finished the game. He liked it. That's enough for me to take their opinion seriously, even if I disagree. (So far, I don't, but then I haven't finished the game).
    Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Definitely a contender, but I wouldn't be calling it just yet.

Mind you, I knew ME2 was my GotY the moment I played it when it came out. Sometimes you just know, so if you're sure then fuck the haters.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45  Edited By Yanngc33

The boss fights suck, the AI is pathetic, the load times are a bit too long. Plus I bought the game in France and the french dub is TERRIBLE

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By Animasta

@Yanngc33 said:

The boss fights suck, the AI is pathetic, the load times are a bit too long. Plus I bought the game in France and the french dub is TERRIBLE

that's hilarious, seeing as how they're FROM Montreal.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47  Edited By Yanngc33
    @Laketown

@Yanngc33 said:

that's hilarious, seeing as how they're FROM Montreal.

I know! I had my hopes up at the beginning but then it all went downhill when words stopped syncing with mouths
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @haggis said:
    @jayjonesjunior said:
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    @jayjonesjunior said:
    I thought the opinion was solid. Telling people their opinion is wrong because they didn't make the same choices as you is sort of lame. He finished the game. He liked it. That's enough for me to take their opinion seriously, even if I disagree. (So far, I don't, but then I haven't finished the game).
    If anyone can do the final boss fight and not lose all faith in humanity, they're better people than I am.

I have never felt so much disgust for people, unless we're talking about films like Schindler's List. To me a GOTY made me feels something. And not the simple "That was a good game for sixty dollars" something, I mean feel something. Human Revolution surprised me in how much I felt. Maybe other people feel disconnected from the story/experience because they're running around and murdering everything they see (It's valid. Says terrible things about their personality, but valid), but I have gone to great lengths to avoid needless slaughter. Why? I killed a man by accident in the first post-aug mission and felt guilty. 

I don't feel guilt in games like Gears of War. I don't feel guilt in Dragon Age. Those games don't give me the option of accomplishing my goals without murder. Deus Ex does. And for better or worse, my conscience gets the better of me. 

For me, that's why Deus Ex: Human Revolution deserves consideration for Game of the Year.
    Avatar image for brainspecialist
    BrainSpecialist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BrainSpecialist

@Cataphract1014: It's not as good as Portal 2, and that came out earlier this year.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Yanngc33 said:
    PC version got patched.  Load times are less than 10 seconds now. 

@BrainSpecialist said:

@Cataphract1014: It's not as good as Portal 2, and that came out earlier this year.

Portal 2 is a fantastic game, but I like more depth in a game.  Once you beat Portal 2, it will be the same every time you play it.  There are no different solutions, well I guess you can try and cheat the system, but the game will be the same every time through.

It really comes down to the Witcher 2 and Deus ex for me, but Deus Ex wins because at no point did I get so frustrated with it that I wanted to uninstall it.  I just started up another game of Deus Ex on the hardest difficultly trying to get the Don't kill anyone achievement.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.