Game of the Year, imo

  • 69 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -

I think it's a good game, but i still feel Witcher 2 is a slightly better game.

#52 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -
@KingWilly: I can respect that. But here's my problem with it: the only difference is an animation. Sure, I shoot the character with a tranq dart. It's not functionally any different than shooting him in the head as far as the game is concerned. Takedowns, as well, can be done non-lethally or lethally. But it's only a difference in animation. Someone watching might not even notice the difference.  
 
In the end, the non-lethality is really just an illusion. You're choosing between two animations. I haven't finished the game, so I'm not sure if it makes a difference in the end if you've killed a lot of people, a few people, or none. Maybe it does. But I'm not sure that such a superficial choice qualifies the game on its own for Game of the Year status, and least from my perspective. I was hoping for an in-game reward for not killing--that is, a recognition by other characters that I wasn't a mass murderer--but so far I haven't seen any. Extra XP is nice, but choosing non-lethality doesn't seem to play into the actual moral choices of the game. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this.
#53 Posted by owack6 (213 posts) -

I had the same feeling about this game , i was hailing it GOTY but it really droped the ball about half way when there are no more side quests or city hubs to explore and its just becomes this kind of linear multipath splinter cell almost.
The crux of the game is the setting like jeff pointed out in the quick look and it really started going down hill at about the montreal stage which isnt even a city hub!

#54 Posted by Karkarov (3054 posts) -

I must be weird cause I thought the Witcher 2 was okay and thats about it.  In two years I won't bring up the witcher in a conversation with friends when talking about games I liked that came out in 2011, I will bring up Deus Ex HR.  That said with Skyrim coming down the line and the fact that I am a huge Demon's Souls fan as well it seems early to call it.  However, if I had to call it right now, Deus Ex HR would be my current game of the year.

#55 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

Almost totally off-topic, but I've been having a lot more fun mixing stealth and murder. I sneak my way through the level, but faced with a couple of goons in a corridor, I'll happily stun grenade them and put them down with a couple of headshots. 
 
I took a hidden route through a derelict building, grenaded the wall (taking out one guy in the process) and then popped the second guy without being spotted. 
 
The gratification you can get from this game, playing it all manner of ways, is nothing short of incredible.

#56 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

Are you a kind of crazy person?

#57 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
@2HeadedNinja said:

I wouldnt go that far with Portal 2 and Witcher 2 out this year (and a bunch of games still on the way). But the game is certainly better than people say it is. If they make a sequel (I hope they will) and get the shooting up to ME2 level (or ME3 by that time) and overall polish it a little more ... that would be awesome.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask. Why do you want the shooting to be like in Mass Effect 2, while this is a First Person game and Mass Effect 2 is a Third Person game. Or are you talking about shooting from cover that needs improvements?
#58 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1587 posts) -

@valrog said:

@2HeadedNinja said:

I wouldnt go that far with Portal 2 and Witcher 2 out this year (and a bunch of games still on the way). But the game is certainly better than people say it is. If they make a sequel (I hope they will) and get the shooting up to ME2 level (or ME3 by that time) and overall polish it a little more ... that would be awesome.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask. Why do you want the shooting to be like in Mass Effect 2, while this is a First Person game and Mass Effect 2 is a Third Person game. Or are you talking about shooting from cover that needs improvements?

good point ... it's probable because I did 98% of my shooting in 3rd person (cover) and because of the RPG elements that Mass Effect jumped to my mind first.

#59 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4662 posts) -
@haggis said:
@KingWilly: I can respect that. But here's my problem with it: the only difference is an animation. Sure, I shoot the character with a tranq dart. It's not functionally any different than shooting him in the head as far as the game is concerned. Takedowns, as well, can be done non-lethally or lethally. But it's only a difference in animation. Someone watching might not even notice the difference.   In the end, the non-lethality is really just an illusion. You're choosing between two animations. I haven't finished the game, so I'm not sure if it makes a difference in the end if you've killed a lot of people, a few people, or none. Maybe it does. But I'm not sure that such a superficial choice qualifies the game on its own for Game of the Year status, and least from my perspective. I was hoping for an in-game reward for not killing--that is, a recognition by other characters that I wasn't a mass murderer--but so far I haven't seen any. Extra XP is nice, but choosing non-lethality doesn't seem to play into the actual moral choices of the game. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this.
You can say that about anything. Oh Indiana Jones isn't really a hero because Harrison Ford only pretended to save Short Round and the woman from the Temple of Doom. It was just a movie, just an illusion. 
 
If you want to break down "choosing between two animations" in that way, sure, you can. You're all the poorer for it, but you can. The problem, though, the real problem, is that you say nobody responds well to you if you go on a killing spree or kill no one. That's not true. If you kill everyone in the first mission, Pritchard refers to you as Atilla the Hun, and his relationship with you is incredibly antagonistic. If you played it like I did, he warms up to you, because he's seen that you're not just a savage with no regard for human life. Same thing for many of the quest givers, Sarif, and even antagonists I can't name.  
 
If you want to say "hey it's just animations, that's all!" that's fine, but you're missing out on something integral. It's like telling someone to ignore the message behind Planet of the Apes, because, hey, it's just a movie. Just an illusion.
#60 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5813 posts) -

Not my the best game I've played all year but it's definitely in my top 5.

#61 Posted by hoossy (933 posts) -
@zombie2011 said:

good call seeing the biggest games this year haven't even come out yet.

this
#62 Posted by ze_ro (181 posts) -

Either this or the Witcher 2.

I hoped for a great game but I got an amazing game, greater than I ever could've asked for. I'm eager to get my hands on Skyrim, but I doubt it's gonna top Deus Ex, personal tastes of course, I have a weakness for this kind of scifi style.

Did I mention the soundtrack blew my mind.

#63 Edited by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@louiedog said:

@Cataphract1014 said:

@louiedog said:

@Cataphract1014 said:

@kingzetta: Why? I can think of Skyrim, Batman, and Uncharted as "huge" games. What else is huge in your opinion that are the other 12? Battlefield I guess, but it really isn't on my radar as something I have to play. So that is 4. What are the other 11?

MW3, Gears, Rage, Forza, Assassin's Creed, Saints Row, and Madden. Those are just the big budget games that are sequels to undeniably well received franchises or, in the case of Rage, coming from a strong pedigree. There's also stuff like Dead Island, Driver San Francisco (didn't put this above because arcade racers haven't always been well received lately, even when they're great), Dark Souls, and Warhammer. Even though I'll probably only play a couple of them, all of those games have been receiving positive buzz and have the potential to be both critical and/or commercial successes. Happy? Probably not.

I did forget about Assassin's Creed, but aside from Rage none of those are really that interesting to me. I'll probably play Gears eventually though. For a game to be considered GOTY for me, I have to want it the day it comes out. The only game listed there is Assassin's creed would be a day 1 if I have the spare money.

Most of them don't interest me either. Someone said there were still 15 big games coming out this year and you questioned it. I don't know why you seem to think they should be centered around your interests.

Wow, just wow. I guess you don't understand that gaming is a personal experience. Keep suckling on the hive-mind teet there brah.

#64 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -
@hoossy said:
@zombie2011 said:

good call seeing the biggest games this year haven't even come out yet.

this
I've already said I disagree with this.  They aren't big to me except maybe 3 of them.  The IMO in the title means its my opinion.  You don't have to agree with me, but it is my call.
 
And, in my opinion, the biggest games have already been released.  Dragon Age 2, The Witcher 2, and Portal 2.
#65 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -
@KingWilly said:
You can say that about anything. Oh Indiana Jones isn't really a hero because Harrison Ford only pretended to save Short Round and the woman from the Temple of Doom. It was just a movie, just an illusion. 
 
If you want to break down "choosing between two animations" in that way, sure, you can. You're all the poorer for it, but you can. The problem, though, the real problem, is that you say nobody responds well to you if you go on a killing spree or kill no one. That's not true. If you kill everyone in the first mission, Pritchard refers to you as Atilla the Hun, and his relationship with you is incredibly antagonistic. If you played it like I did, he warms up to you, because he's seen that you're not just a savage with no regard for human life. Same thing for many of the quest givers, Sarif, and even antagonists I can't name.  
 
If you want to say "hey it's just animations, that's all!" that's fine, but you're missing out on something integral. It's like telling someone to ignore the message behind Planet of the Apes, because, hey, it's just a movie. Just an illusion.
Yeah, I don't quite think you got my point, but that's alright. At some level, yes, it's all an illusion, they're just pixels not people and so it doesn't matter. That is, of course, not the point I was making, and my point didn't rely on that being true. Perhaps you didn't read all the way to the end of my comment, where I asked for a correction if I was wrong about the effect of the moral choices?
 
Still, I'm not sure just a minor change in interaction with a few characters is enough to make the moral choice feel like it has any weight. Does approaching the game as a pacifist have any significant impact on the plot itself or the gameplay? Or is it all in minor character interactions? The difference is in impact. Am I getting anything for making the moral choice, or losing anything? Does it have a real effect on the game? So far, I'm not seeing any significant sign of it. Perhaps this is something that comes through better on a second playthrough, but I'm looking for something more. So far, I'm not seeing any result from the lethal/non-lethal approach that wows me. If it's really that subtle, I'm simply not convinced that that alone is enough, as you said, to justify it being game of the year.
#66 Edited by yinstarrunner (1185 posts) -
@jayjonesjunior:  I think you're wrong.  I think the gameplay of Deus Ex is much more focused around stealth than combat, even in the first game.  I think the "decisions" that you're thinking of come more from the level design and how you transverse them rather than whether you choose to go stealth or balls-to-the-wall combat. 
 
And look, the game agrees with me at 3:40. 

  
  
#67 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2342 posts) -

Too early to tell for me. But it's definitely not mine.

#68 Posted by Winger (151 posts) -

It was very good, but my laziness hindered my ability to fully enjoy everything.

Especially towards the end I wasn't able to do all 4 endings because i ran through it thinking the game was far from over.

#69 Posted by Tsoglani (585 posts) -

We've only got Saints Row 3, Arkham City, Skyrim, Uncharted 3, AC Revelations, plus how many more I can't think of off the top of my head, to come for the remainder of the year. Very early to call GOTY, imo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.