Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

GameStop Offers Up a Sort of Apology for the Whole Deus Ex Thing

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By TwilitEnd656

Gain back trust, they say. =P

Joking aside, really, Gamestop, you should have known this would happen. I refuse to believe the thought of just selling the copies as is and going to put up a big sign that says "no promoting competition" afterward was never brought up. Or maybe they did, and just thought doing what they did was worth the backlash. Or maybe that's their plan... They're secretly promoting OnLive through their silly antics! Such genius (damn it, joked again).

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#102  Edited By jkuc316

Buy 2 get 1 free pre-owned?! Wouldn't ALL the games Gamestop opens count as pre-owned?!

ZipCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#103  Edited By ZipCrash

shit bow

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By FunExplosions
    @DerekDanahy said:

I really like Alex's news articles.

Was just thinking this.
    NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By NekuCTR

"We regret the events surrounding this title release and that our customers were put in the middle of this issue between GameStop and Square Enix, the publisher of this game. And for this, we are truly sorry."

You only regret it because you got caught. If those meddling consumers and their stupid dog hadn't found out about your amazing plan, and demand reimbursement, you could have bought that new porche. Pro tip, stop being idiots!!!

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By Sanious
    @lovecat360 said:
    While I in no way agree with retailers removing publisher approved content, the uproar regarding the opening of the game in the first place has me confused. When I worked at Gamestation here in the UK we were instructed to remove every piece of shrinkwrap that came into the stock room. The instructions and discs were removed and filed into drawers and the empty boxes were put on the shelves. This was both before and after GAME bought over Gamestation BTW. We never had one complaint about it (although I did stash a sealed copy aside if it was a title I was personally buying obviously).

Agreed. Considering the only way Gamestop did find out about this is because they have to open cases to put them on the shelves empty. So it isn't like this is a new thing they were secretly doing this until now. 

@Haru48
    : What Gamestop did was wrong, but this also could have been avoided if SE was straight up about informing the retail company what was going to be in the case and all of this could have been avoided.  

And I have a hard time believing that people wouldn't throw a bitch fit at all even if they went to the route of not selling the game and sending it back.
    leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#108  Edited By leebmx
    @themartyr said:
    When I used to work at GAME in the UK, we were encouraged to open up new games and sell them already-opened. I always thought it to be a bit messed up.
    Yeah i've got a friend who works there and he's always got loads of bonus codes etc from games which have just been opened had them removed and then sold as new. I suppose a lot of people don't care or realise the code is missing, but that doesn't excuse it really.
    Elusionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#109  Edited By Elusionar

Once again, the game industry looks like its run by a bunch of scheming baboons tanks to crap like that.
    freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By freakin9

God I hope the next thing I buy at Gamestop has the aids in it.

DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#111  Edited By DXmagma

I bought Deus Ex for my PS3 today and I got my Onlive coupon with it. It flew out the car window.

KinjiroSSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#112  Edited By KinjiroSSD

Two meme images in one article. Ugh....

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#113  Edited By Getz

Full of indignation towards just about anything, eh Alex? Look, the only thing that went wrong here is Gamestop's choice to take the vouchers out of the box and not just taking the boxes off the shelves. It's not some scheme for world domination; they're just idiots. If they had simply removed the items from sale in the first place this would be a non-story. They didn't expect it to blow up in their faces like this so a definite lack of foresight on their part, but don't ask them to apologize for not wanting their competitor's product to be sold in their stores. Square Enix is just as much at fault for not warning retailers.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#114  Edited By nintendoeats

Suddenly I wish that I bought games on launch day.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#115  Edited By X19

People stop buying from there I want to see them die.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#116  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Well, at least they try to make amends, although the way they treat their employees with the preorders and quotas, THAT is unforgivable.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#117  Edited By tebbit

@freakin9 said:

Wait... why would you want that!?!?

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Olivaw
    @KinjiroSSD said:
    Two meme images in one article. Ugh....
    My thoughts exactly. FOR SHAME, ALEXANDER NAVARRO. 

And this whole GameStop thing continues to be complete horseshit. It's why I don't buy from there anymore. Amazon offers shit cheaper, faster, and Steam? Don't get me started on Steam, brother.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c468a9482ba9
    deactivated-5c468a9482ba9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You realize that with that Buy 2 Get  1 Free on used games shit they'll probably actually be making a profit off the people they're offering this to?

Avatar image for sofakingstewpit
    sofakingstewpit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By sofakingstewpit

These sorts of practices are why I haven't stepped foot in a Gamestop in at least five years. All the pre order garbage they throw at you, the ridiculous used game pricing and the "I am smarter than you" sales associates. No effing thanks Gamestop.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#121  Edited By godzilla_sushi

It just sucks that they open the products they are selling to their customers. When Lexus ships their cars, Chevy doesn't take the GPS out. You can't really find any retail situation quite like this one. Stores don't remove things! They have such poor business practices.

Semi_Sauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Semi_Sauce

Shit happens get over it you god damn babys.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By yukoasho

We get it, Alex.  GameStop is the devil. 

Now stop making your irrational hatred the basis of your writing and actually report shit.

locolukah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By locolukah

I don't know why anyone would shop at Gamestop when you can get games so much cheaper online or from stores that actually have sales on games.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By yukoasho
    @Getz said:

Full of indignation towards just about anything, eh Alex? Look, the only thing that went wrong here is Gamestop's choice to take the vouchers out of the box and not just taking the boxes off the shelves. It's not some scheme for world domination; they're just idiots. If they had simply removed the items from sale in the first place this would be a non-story. They didn't expect it to blow up in their faces like this so a definite lack of foresight on their part, but don't ask them to apologize for not wanting their competitor's product to be sold in their stores. Square Enix is just as much at fault for not warning retailers.

Pretty much this.  The only innocent party in this whole debacle are Eidos Montreal.  GameStop was dumb, Square-Enix was deceitful, the media is trollbaiting and the "fans" are using this an excuse to rage when just about 100% of them would have thrown the OnLive voucher the fuck away with all the other advertising and shit.
    samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#126  Edited By samfo

lol love it @Alex :D

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#127  Edited By me3639

Alex, a word of advice, stick to reviews. Leave the news to professionals like PK.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By freakin9

@Tebbit said:

@freakin9 said:

Wait... why would you want that!?!?

I figure I'd get at least 3, maybe 4 $50 gift cards for that.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#129  Edited By MormonWarrior
    @Getz: Yeah, it may not be world domination, but if this was the only completely bullcrap thing that GameStop had ever done, that would be the end of it. The fact is that every single facet of their organization is flawed and corrupt. They inflate used game prices, try to shove preorders and memberships down your throat, rip open new copies of games for snot-nosed kids to paw over before you buy it full price, and hire some of the weirdest creepos I've ever seen in my life...yeah, they're the pits. I really wish people would stop shopping there so they'd die.
    Roadshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Roadshell

While I do like seeing Gamespot caught with their pants down, I have to wonder, how many people could have possibly bought a new copy of the PC version of this game at that stupid store in the two days that they were selling it?  Does ANYONE buy PC games at that fucking place?

DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By DrLove

Thing= Alex

Zeninnnnnnnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Zeninnnnnnnn

@OldGuy: Actually its a 1-3 ratio. Trade a game in for 15-20 bux (sans promotions) sell it at 45-60 bux. If you're looking for cash it's 20% less. As an employee I always tell the customers that Gamestop is never the best option for selling your games, only the easiest. Because people get really pissed when I tell them how much their games are worth.

THE MORE YOU KNOW!

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#133  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@ZipCrash said:

shit bow

I was mindlessly scrolling through the comments, and you stopped me cold with laughter. Good job.

SneakyPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By SneakyPickle

So you will never purchase anything from Gamestop because of an issue that most likely didn't effect you at all? Fuck you ya dirty chin beard. And everyone else thats bent out of shape over this needs to get over it.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
    SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artofwar420 said:

Soooorry.

This.
    ShenEvil44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By ShenEvil44

I knew I was right to hate on Gamestop. I never liked the way they muscled through their dominance in the video game retail store market ever since they bought out EB(Electronics Boutique). Then again, that's found in every corporate industry. I know I'm kind of contradicting myself with my feelings towards this, but it still doesn't mean I like it. It's just business.(Saying that always leaves a bad taste in my mouth).

SquirrelGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By SquirrelGOD

While I agree that it is a completely uncalled for move by Gamestop, and that they do deserve a harsh finger wagging for this idiocy, this article is probably the single most unprofessional thing I've seen on the Whiskey sites. I mean, the dumb memes aside, whatever happened to journalistic integrity? I understand that it's just vidja games, but at least TRY to be a bit unbiased when reporting on things, man. Be impartial and act like a damn reporter.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#138  Edited By Kyle

$50 gift card AND a buy 2 get 1 free if you bought the standard edition PC version? Fuck me, that's what I get for buying the fucking special edition... Can we start an angry mob for those of us not getting free shit now?

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By McShank

@DJJoeJoe: get a debit card, not a credit card.. and amazon is usually the best way to go for physical copies unless you like used games then theres always craigslist :D

SneakyPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By SneakyPickle

@SquirellGOD: agreed, patrick was handling this so much better.

Avatar image for michaelfossbakk
    michaelfossbakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By michaelfossbakk

Am I the only one that feels like Alex Navarro's utter disgust with GameStop is a bit too prevalent? I understand that he doesn't like GameStop, but this whole thing has been made into a far bigger deal than it really is. They don't want to promote their competition. That's good business. When I worked in fast food, the restaurant's televisions stayed on the same channel, for the sole reason that there weren't any commercials for competing fast food chains. No one wrote about it in any news outlet. Sure, this is on a larger scale, but the point remains valid, no?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@heatDrive88 said:

@DocPorpoise said:

great. the old we screwed up but hey look at the shiny things we're giving you.

To be fair, a $50 gift card is fairly substantial.

It's cheaper for them than the whole potential lawsuit/class action down the road.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@ProfessorEss said:

@Alex said:

Raines and GameStop PR's unwillingness to straight-up say "We should not have removed these coupons from the product in question" effectively implies that GameStop isn't really sorry that they did it in the first place. Some might chalk it up to legal language wrangling, in an effort to avoid admitting a more specific "our bad!" that could potentially turn into some kind of lawsuit down the road. Still, all Raines really admits to is that it was pretty jacked up that customers were brought into this mess between a retailer and a publisher, which is but a fraction of the issue at hand.

If you're one of the customers who picked up your PC copy of Human Revolution at GameStop, go forth informed, and get your free games on. Then I suggest doing as I will do, and never, ever purchase anything from this company again.

Maybe I haven't followed this game closely enough but is there anything out there that would enlighten us as to whether Gamestop was deliberately deceived by Square or not? I'm all for villainizing but honestly, I don't understand what makes Gamestop such an impressive villain.

If Gamestop had been deceived by Square than they should've just sent back the boxes (at Square's cost), what they did, however, was tamper with the goods contained within and effectively stole product from their customers who would've received untampered goods (and the vouchers in question) had they purchased the game in physical retail form elsewhere. In tampering with the good Gamestop have effectively stolen from their customers.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

What the fuuuuuuck! I want a $50 gift card! :(

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#145  Edited By chronicsmoke

I didnt buy the game from gamestop but I havent bought anything from gamestop for a good 3 years

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the game but didn't get the email.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#147  Edited By Jimbo

Haha, the coverage of this issue has been ridiculously one-sided. "...only tangentially its fault" indeed. SE basically sold GameStop a Trojan Horse and took OnLive's money for doing so.

captainfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#148  Edited By captainfish

It doesn't count as a direct competitor. GameStop was working on a streaming service that would make them direct competitors, and that was the reason they cited for the coupon pull. Squeenix couldn't have known about that.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By north6

@SneakyPickle said:

Fuck you ya dirty chin beard.

You can't just point out acceptable groomed features and use them as pejoratives. Try again.

Majkiboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#150  Edited By Majkiboy

OF COURSE they are not sorry, it was a clear dick-move from the publisher. So they had to dick-move it back. I understand them, and I understand their customers. This is a really good "were sorry" gift for everyone who bought the game, much better than that onlive coupon in the first place :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.