Getting Smooth Operator

#1 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

What exactly does indicate if I get Smooth Operator or not? Does triggering the "Alarmed" state take it away even though it wasn't really an alarm?

To clarify, I threw an EMP on a turret and the two nearby enemies went to the upper floor (Where I was) to investigate. It showed "Alarmed" on the radar, but I took them out before they could trigger an actual alarm (And I did hack the palm print device beforehand) and I wasn't seen (So I suppose I can still get Ghost, right?) by any of them. So, does that count towards me not getting the XP bonus or is this acceptable?

#2 Posted by Buttenator (189 posts) -

@valrog: It has to be an actual audible siren for it to be an alarm, and the only ways of triggering that is by an enemy using an alarm panel, touching a laser grid, shooting a camera, being seen by a camera or a sentry, or leaving a body within view of a camera or sentry. Being seen by an enemy robot might count too. That being said, you can only get smooth operator in areas that triggering an alarm is possible. For the situation you described, you would still get it.

#3 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@Buttenator: Finally, I've always thought that if the guards are alarmed or suspicious no smooth operator...so many f***ing reloads.
#4 Edited by valrog (3648 posts) -
@Buttenator: I see, thank you. Well, I noticed I still had a Praxis point so I invested it in Hacking (The one with turret controlling). Thought it might be useful for later in the game and I saved myself an EMP that was very useful against the boss.

Also, I have another somewhat related question. 
#5 Posted by Buttenator (189 posts) -

@valrog: It only counts hostiles.

#6 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -
@Buttenator: Thanks man, I really appreciate it.
#7 Posted by AnimalFather (800 posts) -

Ghost is the one u get for nobody getting alarmed.

#8 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

@AnimalFather said:

Not quite.

Ghost is rewarded if enemies don't visually see you. They can still enter alarmed state for any number of other reasons and you will still get the bonus.

#9 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

Somehow I now find it harder to get Ghost than Smooth Operator. Worst thing is I have no idea who could possibly see me.

#10 Posted by Karkarov (3273 posts) -

ghost is harder to get.  Smooth operator is simply "no one set off an alarm and a camera/sentry robot/turret didn't see me".  Ghost is "no one saw me, period".  In other words for ghost you literally have to be perfect, basically you go undetected.  Also Ghost is 500 exp Smooth Operator is only 350.

#11 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

@Karkarov: 250

#12 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -
@Karkarov said:
ghost is harder to get.  Smooth operator is simply "no one set off an alarm and a camera/sentry robot/turret didn't see me".  Ghost is "no one saw me, period".  In other words for ghost you literally have to be perfect, basically you go undetected.  Also Ghost is 500 exp Smooth Operator is only 350.
I realize that, but a little indication when I lose the bonus would be nice. Right now I only have to rely on "Hostile" state. But I can't be sure if someone thinks he saw something, but I still remain out of the Hostile state so I don't know if the game marked me as seen or what.
#13 Posted by Karkarov (3273 posts) -
@valrog said:
@Karkarov said:
I realize that, but a little indication when I lose the bonus would be nice. Right now I only have to rely on "Hostile" state. But I can't be sure if someone thinks he saw something, but I still remain out of the Hostile state so I don't know if the game marked me as seen or what.
Uh it is sort of tricky yes but basically the secret is the audio clue.  If they say something like "What was that?"  "Am I seeing things?" or "Is someone over there?"  they either saw or heard you.  Mostly if they ever go alarmed at a moment when you didn't plan for it to happen (such as you opening a door while a guy is looking at it as a means to lure him into an ambush) then you should assume they spotted you.

Also Tennmuerti in my gave smooth operator is giving me 350, maybe it is because of where I am in the story or the fact that I am playing highest difficulty I don't know.
#14 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -
@Karkarov: Well, I thought they had to see me, not assume that something was there. Oh well, will be more careful the next time around.
#15 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

@valrog said:
@Karkarov said:
ghost is harder to get. Smooth operator is simply "no one set off an alarm and a camera/sentry robot/turret didn't see me". Ghost is "no one saw me, period". In other words for ghost you literally have to be perfect, basically you go undetected. Also Ghost is 500 exp Smooth Operator is only 350.
Uh it is sort of tricky yes but basically the secret is the audio clue. If they say something like "What was that?" "Am I seeing things?" or "Is someone over there?" they either saw or heard you. Mostly if they ever go alarmed at a moment when you didn't plan for it to happen (such as you opening a door while a guy is looking at it as a means to lure him into an ambush) then you should assume they spotted you. Also Tennmuerti in my gave smooth operator is giving me 350, maybe it is because of where I am in the story or the fact that I am playing highest difficulty I don't know.

That's weird I have always gotten 250 and got the Foxiest Hounds achievement meaning I got all of the Smooth Operator bonuses.

And just now finished the game on Give me Deus Ex difficulty and it's also been giving 250xp bonus for Smooth Operator throughout.

Could be a specific mission?

#16 Posted by Ghostiet (5318 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:

@AnimalFather said:

Not quite.

Ghost is rewarded if enemies don't visually see you. They can still enter alarmed state for any number of other reasons and you will still get the bonus.

I still got it when an enemy went hostile on me, but it was a pretty small window, since I subdued him almost immediately.
#17 Posted by eroticfishcake (7789 posts) -
@valrog said:
@Karkarov: Well, I thought they had to see me, not assume that something was there. Oh well, will be more careful the next time around.
I'm pretty certain it's okay if they thought they saw something and go over to investigate since I've used that tactic to lure guys over before donkey punching them in the back of the head. So long that they don't go into hostile state it should be fine. Regardless, it's probably a better idea to avoid being seen altogether since they exact criteria for Ghost and Smooth Operator are pretty damn vague.
#18 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@AnimalFather said:

Not quite.

I still got it when an enemy went hostile on me, but it was a pretty small window, since I subdued him almost immediately.

Enemies can go hostile without having seen you for many reasons. Did he go hostile because of a visual? If so then it's kind of messed up that you still got the bonus. But there are some missions that segregate objectives, so it's still possible to get Ghost ad assume it's for that particular segment.

#19 Posted by Ghostiet (5318 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:

@Ghostiet said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@AnimalFather said:

Not quite.

Enemies can go hostile without having seen you for many reasons. Did he go hostile because of a visual? If so then it's kind of messed up that you still got the bonus. But there are some missions that segregate objectives, so it's still possible to get Ghost ad assume it's for that particular segment.

It was the mission with Barrett as the final boss. Yup, a visual, but it was for maybe half a second. Weird, because the same happened to me in Jenny Alexander's sidequest and I failed the optional objective (remain undetected).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.