Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Is Anyone Else Taking Forever Playing This Game?

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I got this game the day it came out. Usually I can beat a game in about a week or a week and a half. This one though.. I'm like ten hours in and on the first mission after you get your apartment (like the third mission overall?). For some reason, despite loving the game, I only feel like playing it once in a great while. When I do, I tend to hack every computer, silently take down every guard, and explore everything. When I had to go to the police station I literally spent like 90 minutes combing all three floors for stuff.

I want to hurry up and finish it (Dead Island, Space Marine, Resistance 3, and Red Orchestra 2 are all purchased and sitting here, not to mention Gears 3 next week). For some reason though it's taking aaaages.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Shabs

Yes.

I don't want to admit how much time I've spent playing basically none of the game. (I'm just in Detroit and have yet to find my way in to the Police Station.)

But yes, I am compelled to explore EVERYTHING. And then if I upgrade an ability that enhances exploration (eg. jumping, better hacking) I feel like doing it all over again.

Plus, I'm playing on PC, so there's a lot of experimentation and saving/reloading.

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Nocall

Yeah, I have a feeling I'm going really slow. I stop and read everything, hack things when I already know the passcode, talk to everyone, etc. My playtime is at 25 hours and I haven't even gotten to the part they talk about in the DLC trailer, which I guess is about halfway through the game.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Klei

I beat the game three times, for a total of 56 hours played, within the first two weeks of its launch. So yeah.
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By probablytuna

I took 85 hours to complete my first playthrough. My total playing time is now 100 hours. Starting my second run because I didn't get the Pacifist the first time around. I'm taking a long time, but I'm loving every minute of it.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#6  Edited By Mnemoidian

My first playthrough (on "Give me a Challenge", pacifist, no alarms) took me more than 45 hours - my second playthrough ("Give me Deus Ex", free for all solutions) "only" took about 15 hours :)

So... Yes!

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By handlas

why rush? 

I beat the game playing stealthy.  Got Resistance 3; played it a bit. Got Dead Island; played it a bit. Then put Deus Ex back in and am playing it a 2nd time; gunning everyone down this time. 

Game is GOTY for me so far. Until Dark Souls.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@handlas said:

why rush?

Because there are loads of games to play and I have very little free time. This is why I enjoy 5-10 hour games.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By zidd

I'm playing it on the hardest difficulty and I'm about 7 hours in and only to the first boss fight.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By handlas
    @Rolyatkcinmai: well, that was kind of rhetorical. My point was Deus Ex is better than those games :) 

I know what you mean tho. I need to cram in Resistance 3 and Dead Island before Dark Souls gets here. Kinda wanted Driver as well but that can wait when it is cheap.
    SquadBroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By SquadBroken

I spent ages stealthing all the missions early on but towards the end I just started wasting everyone cos I just wanted to get through it. I've never said this about a game before but it is too long.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Chummy8

Dude, it's taking forever for me even to buy the game.  I refuse to play a Deus Ex game on the consoles so I need to upgrade my computer first so god knows how long that will take. 

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BBQBram

Yeah, I got the game last week but have only put about ten hours into it and I just got done with the police station. Playing on Give Me Deus Ex, adaptive (mostly stealth though), clearing as much side-content as I can before advancing the campaign. I'm really loving it, the sense of tension when any fight can mean death and guards really are a threat, but the long loading after every death suuuuuucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yup. Kinda like you, just sort of playing in bursts. Got a little frustrated during that second boss fight, so I haven't done a lot since I beat her.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#15  Edited By KillyDarko

Yeah, I definitely took my sweet time with that game... I went non-lethal and stealthy and I just HAD to takedown every guy, and hack every computer and alarm, and find out ALL the alternate paths, etc.
    "Thankfully" I have chronic insomnia and I was able to advance through the game at a very steady pace during my sleepless nights ^^

I guess my only advice would be to maybe alternate between DEX:HR and all those other games you've already purchased? :)

Robiin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Robiin

I'm with you as well. I've played about eight hours, and I don't know. I reeeaally like it, but I'm playing it in half-hour chunks, basically. Bought it on launch day, played eight hours, and I read and explore everything. My friend who also bought it a couple of days ago is already way ahead of me, and is spoiling stuff without really noticing himself. I just left Sarif Industries and am exploring Detroit. I have done on sidequest (Cloaks & Daggers) in Detroit, but it took me days to get through because I wanted to explore...

I feel like this is going to be a game I enjoy beside the other games I will play this fall, and might even stretch into next year for me.

zanshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By zanshin

In a strange way, the game reminds me of Grand Theft Auto. I often get distracted and spend a lot of time exploring, hacking every computer, sneaking into every area I can find and seeking out every box of ammo and power bar that I can find. (I was talking to everyone (NCP) and reading every e-book I could find, but was not all that rewarding). I am in no rush to complete the missions (especially the main missions) until after I have run out of other things to do, including some silly achievements.

I compared this to Grand Theft Auto, because I also get distracted from the main quest in those games, whenever I see a cool car, find a side quest (like collecting cars for a garage) or just go racing around town at top speed until I do something to get the police on my tail (and soon after the feds and then the army).

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I played for a good four or five hours last night and banged out two side missions and a main mission (including the first boss). I'm finally getting my character upgraded enough that I'm enjoying playing more.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

It all depends on how you play the game. I'd guess I spent about 30+ hours to complete everything (why does it not track statistics?), and that was playing a stealth build.

Similarly like Fallout its relatively brief if you focus on just the story missions, honestly it took me around 5 hours doing just this. Its definitely a game that is enhanced by how much of the world you take in, I loved the variation in nearly every environment.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Tennmuerti

I was really drawn into the world and how it felt, cyberpunk is one of my most favourite settings. So I pretty much finished it in 2-3 sittings during the friday/weekend. Still took about 40 hours since I wanted to explore everything.

Diachron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By Diachron

Some games will strike a particular chord in me and compel me to take my time and wander. This is one of those games-- I've been playing on and off for three days, and only now getting around to the final mission in Detroit 1. No stone is left unturned.

At least it's not as free-form as Fallout 3, wherein I spent over 300 hours before finally deciding to move on to another game. Ultimately, it's all about the degree to which you're willing to imaginatively invest.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tsoglani

I found I was taking ages too; on my first playthrough I clocked in at about 20 hours and was still doing missions in Hengsha. Like others, I like to explore all the rooftops, all the nooks and crannies, and have been hacking everything I can.

I love this game.

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Edwardryu

you want to finish the game? then don't hack all fucking computer, don't sneak around every fucking room which you don't need for finishing the game. this is what I do for first time when I play new game. I only follow main mission. other side quests will be partially done or delayed until I finish the game. you still have tons of time to do side quests and other things after all.

plus, when I completed all achievement, I don't play any game anymore.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iamjohn

I know what you mean, man. I've played for, like, 16 or 17 hours according to Steam and I'm just before the first boss. But I don't care. I love exploring and hacking everything and playing super stealthily so I can knockout every guy in a room without being seen. Game's rad.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bybeach

63 hours for me. I got my money's worth, and the interst for another playthrough in a year.. I'm starting to worry about GEars of war3, but maybe there is a good bit left. But I have resistance 3, alice, and Rage is pre-ordered, so..

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Commisar123

I just can't finish it. Mission 15 glitched out on me and I just went, fuck it.

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GTCknight

Third playthrough right now. I think 80% of the achievements done, only ten left.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By stackboy

I come and go with this game. I like it, but it's not something I am really excited to play. Will get to the finish eventually.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Enigma777

Nope. I finished the game in 2 (very, very long) sittings. 

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#30  Edited By DonutFever

I took it slow, but once I got to the Pangu it got really good, and I've since made it back to Detroit.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By fox01313

Taking forever here but loving the world the game has set, then again as I'm playing the game as stealthy for most of the time with hacking anything I find, the game does take forever. Plus finding a great tip in Act2 for the laser grid, instead of sneaking through it, if playing like me of going to exploring everywhere, just find the 2nd vent, throw a box to get the guards alerted then hide & take them out individually. I'm glad that they are marking all the routes for the main/side quests to be able to just explore everywhere ever in this game for all the things to find.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Karkarov

I play the same way, my game took around 50 hours to complete. But yeah I actually sit down and played it ;p. Still it took me about 2.5 3 weeks to beat it. Oh how I long for the days when I was a punk kid and could skip school to play video games.... Damn job actually expects me to show up and stuff, crazy man crazy!

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GeekDown

I bought it back in December and finished it a few weeks ago. At first I didn't like it at all, but it just clicked after a while and I ended up really liking it by the end.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Grillbar

i completed it pretty fast. loved it. have allready completed it 2 times once the way i wanted and the second time was without killing anyone and on hardest. now im going to do the 3rd at some point just to clear up the last trophy's but im not in a hurry.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mordukai

@Klei said:

I beat the game three times, for a total of 56 hours played, within the first two weeks of its launch. So yeah.

I love your cat. For some reason every orange cat I've ever met was the coolest cat around.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Klei

@mordukai said:

@Klei said:

I love your cat. For some reason every orange cat I've ever met was the coolest cat around.

Yeah, Horace is indeed badass.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By ProfessorEss

I was but then I decided to embrace the fact that I just flat-out don't like it. It's sitting on the shelf pretty mostly unplayed and I have no intentions on popping it back in any time in the near future. 

Very regrettable purchase for me but who knows, it wouldn't be the first time that I pop something back in a year or two later and have it "click". 

I just don't get it. So many people have said so many great things but when I play it the gameplay just feels absolutely terrible.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By CosmicQueso

@ProfessorEss said:

I was but then I decided to embrace the fact that I just flat-out don't like it. It's sitting on the shelf pretty mostly unplayed and I have no intentions on popping it back in any time in the near future. Very regrettable purchase for me but who knows, it wouldn't be the first time that I pop something back in a year or two later and have it "click". I just don't get it. So many people have said so many great things but when I play it the gameplay just feels absolutely terrible.

I'm with you. I've tried starting it 5 times now, each time thinking "this is the time it'll be fun". And then I make it to the police station and realize I absolutely hate how the game handles things like conversations. Plus, going through the metro station and seeing the same idiots breakdancing, always breakdancing, they never stop. No matter how many hours you wander the city, you go back and they're still there, breakdancing. Stupidly enough it's a total immersion killer for me. "Oh look, those clowns are STILL breakdancing". And I want to shoot them. The inventory system is via System Shock 2 circa 1998, the keyboard/mouse controls are not sharp, and the guy sounds like a guy trying to sound like Clint Eastwood. And just shut up with your big ol spiky hair Clint Eastwood faker guy. You suck. I like video games a lot, and I reaaaaaaaaaaaaally want to like this game, but hot damn it is just balls.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Morrow

I'm making a similar experience with this game. I feel very excited about it but hesitate from actually playing it, because I want to "save it". lol. It's the same with movies sometimes. I refuse to watch them because I want to keep the feeling of anticipation.

ultra2extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By ultra2extreme

I found this game to be one of the more enthralling story experiences on the console, just couldnt put it down for the 23 or so hours i spent with it, definitely not a quick play game

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Rolyatkcinmai: Yep got up to the point were the objective is past some sparking wires and cant get past them.

Packie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Packie

@CosmicQueso said:

@ProfessorEss said:

I was but then I decided to embrace the fact that I just flat-out don't like it. It's sitting on the shelf pretty mostly unplayed and I have no intentions on popping it back in any time in the near future. Very regrettable purchase for me but who knows, it wouldn't be the first time that I pop something back in a year or two later and have it "click". I just don't get it. So many people have said so many great things but when I play it the gameplay just feels absolutely terrible.

I'm with you. I've tried starting it 5 times now, each time thinking "this is the time it'll be fun". And then I make it to the police station and realize I absolutely hate how the game handles things like conversations. Plus, going through the metro station and seeing the same idiots breakdancing, always breakdancing, they never stop. No matter how many hours you wander the city, you go back and they're still there, breakdancing. Stupidly enough it's a total immersion killer for me. "Oh look, those clowns are STILL breakdancing". And I want to shoot them. The inventory system is via System Shock 2 circa 1998, the keyboard/mouse controls are not sharp, and the guy sounds like a guy trying to sound like Clint Eastwood. And just shut up with your big ol spiky hair Clint Eastwood faker guy. You suck. I like video games a lot, and I reaaaaaaaaaaaaally want to like this game, but hot damn it is just balls.

Here's the thing though, he actually does sound exactly like that. This is the voice actor's (Elias Toufexis) real voice. Look up his work.

Also the police station is the one of the best levels in the game. With the Casie augment, you can talk your way through the front desk and wander in the police station without any repercussion. You can also sneak in by the sewers or the nearby alley. So many ways to tackle this level, love it.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By Vonocourt

I'm having trouble playing though it, still on the first mission after becoming robocop after a couple weeks. I think it's because I want to explore every inch, but am worried that I'll get caught by guards so I try to avoid them at all costs, so I feel like I'm missing a bunch of stuff by hurrying past guards that's putting me off.

procrasturbate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By procrasturbate

Still on the second hub. Reading, exploring every room, every computer that the game throws my way. Loving every minute of it.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By awesomeusername

Just bought the game like an hour ago and a few others. So it'll take me forever since I'm in college too.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Morrow

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

For some reason, despite loving the game, I only feel like playing it once in a great while. When I do, I tend to hack every computer, silently take down every guard, and explore everything. When I had to go to the police station I literally spent like 90 minutes combing all three floors for stuff.

omg and I thought I'm the only one.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Resistance 3

I seem to praise this game weekly, so consider this routine.

Play it; hype; etc.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Morrow said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

For some reason, despite loving the game, I only feel like playing it once in a great while. When I do, I tend to hack every computer, silently take down every guard, and explore everything. When I had to go to the police station I literally spent like 90 minutes combing all three floors for stuff.

omg and I thought I'm the only one.

@GetEveryone said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Resistance 3

I seem to praise this game weekly, so consider this routine.

Play it; hype; etc.

Gotta love when a 13 month old thread gets bumped and suddenly I have @ replies from an ancient topic.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Morrow

@Rolyatkcinmai: That's how you meet new people :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.