Non-lethal methods not working?

#1 Posted by DiscoDuck8k (499 posts) -

I don't know if this is just me, but I'm baffled as to why the tranquilizer rifle and stun gun only seem to knock people out half the time. Early on I didn't have this problem, now almost everyone dies when using these. I'll get the non-lethal bonus, yet the target will be dead.

#2 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

How do you tell the difference between knocked out and dead?

#3 Posted by DiscoDuck8k (499 posts) -
@emergency: Skull icon on them if dead, ZZZ icon if knocked out.
#4 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -
Friendly Fire? That's really weird. Hasn't happened to me.
#5 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I've only played the first area after getting augmented so far, but I found that headshotting a guy with the tranq rifle killed him instantly on one occasion, and on another I shot a guy in the chest and he fell down some stairs and died as well.

Both times didn't count against me, however.

#6 Posted by DiscoDuck8k (499 posts) -

Yeah, it's the strangest thing. I just tried both weapons on two guards multiple times, different hit zones, they always died. A little farther down the road were three more who all went to sleep as you'd expect.  

At least I'm not specifically going for that no kills run.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11895 posts) -

I'm guessing they went for a more realistic view of tranquilizer darts. An overdose of the stuff can kill someone, and I'd imagine that puncturing their heart or their head wouldn't be too good for their health either. I think it doesn't penalize you for it because you were using tranq darts and it's assuming that you didn't actually want to kill them. 

This is handy info for when I go for the "don't kill anyone" achievement.

#8 Posted by Legend (2659 posts) -

I guess this is why I didn't get the Pacifist achievement, then. I thought it was a glitch because I was so sure I didn't kill anyone as I only used the Stun Gun and Tranquilizer Rifle, but now I'm not so sure anymore. Oh well.

#9 Posted by Kenobi (374 posts) -

Stun gun your just missing the shot, it's hard to aim.  With the tranq rifle, your hitting the guys armor, you need to hit him in the leg or arm.

#10 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Tim_the_Corsair said:
and on another I shot a guy in the chest and he fell down some stairs and died as well.
I see you're not a fan of practicing safe shooting, eh? 

Regardless, I just laughed my ass off. 
#11 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Maybe the game doesn't pay attention (or isn't designed) to have them be unconscious, but is rather focused on YOU using a non-lethal method that is SUPPOSED to not kill them but "hey, who the fuck cares if they die". 

that sounds sad.

#12 Posted by Brians (1462 posts) -

I just finished my pacifist run other dudes can wake up guys you shoot with tranq or stun gun. It was a fun challenge but I played through on easy looking to do a more standard combination run or a bloody murder everyone run the next play through.

#13 Posted by mracoon (4971 posts) -

Oh gosh, I haven't been checking the bodies because I assumed using a tranq gun would always put them to sleep. Hopefully I haven't killed anyone yet because I'm too far in put too much effort into not killing anyone to start again. There's need to be some indicator if you've failed the achievement or not.

#14 Posted by Tennmuerti (8093 posts) -

@Everyone

There are basically 2 main reasons why dudes sometimes die to tanq darts.

First is that you are too close when shooting. Second is when they are leaning against something (due to wonky physics)

#15 Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman (320 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:

@Everyone

There are basically 2 main reasons why dudes sometimes die to tanq darts.

First is that you are too close when shooting. Second is when they are leaning against something (due to wonky physics)

The second part can change actually. I found out that if you alert the person that dies when shot and then let him return to his original position, shooting him won't kill him. So the whole problem must be down to their spawning.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.