Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Ok, I am interested ... Do I need to play the first one?

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Wuddel

Title says it all pretty much. I am a big fan of cyberpunk worlds like in Blade Runner or the Syndicate game -  bet it is worth playing. But there is so much ...

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Karkarov

No you do not.  Human Revolution actually happens earlier in the time line than the original two Deus Ex games so knowing nothing about them is not going to hamper your fun of this one.  You may miss out on a few "wink wink nudge nudge" moments or not get why everyone cares about some NPC cameo on the forums but none of that is a big deal.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The game is a prequel, so it's largely unconnected to the original two and since it's been so long, I'd imagine they're trying to make the game as newcomer friendly as possible, so I wouldn't worry about it.  But I'm sure it'll be filled with references that will make it more enjoyable if you get them.. and the first game was really amazing, you really should play it if you can.

The second isn't as bad as some people make out, but it was very disappointing compared to the original.  It;s worth playing if you really love the series.. but it's the first one you should focus your attention on.

Dave_442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dave_442

I dont think you need to play it but I do think you should play it. Its awesome.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Karkarov

I will warn you about all the sterling hype the original gets, that is alot of rose colored glasses talk.  It is a good game sure, when it released it was just plain bad ass.  Unfortunately that was a long time ago and the game has not aged well, it is hardly the epic tour de force people want you to think it is.  By today's standards the game is not revolutionary, the graphics even with DX10 mods and retextures stink, it is kinda buggy, and the game play is closer to Alpha Protocol than Mass Effect 2.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By dagas

I played the original Deus Ex long after release (played through the first mission). First time was in 2006 or so and I tried it again recently. I do not understand what people see in that game. It must be one of those games you had to play at launch.
    Unless you played it back in the day I doubt you'll like it now. You need that nostalgia to enjoy it at this point.
    To be fair this is a problem with most games. The standards change over time. Only a handful of games (like Mario games for example) age with any sort of dignity. And I'm not talking graphics, I'm talking gameplay. Despite what some people say games were not better back in the day, even mediocre games of today are superior in almost every way to a game from 10-15 years ago (apart from a few classics that is)

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SlasherMan

The game has not aged well at all, so you might not be able to suffer playing through it at this point. There are plenty of mods around for it that try to freshen it up a little bit, but still, not everyone can play a game this old after getting used to how games are these days.
    At any rate, it's still miles better than the horrible sequel, so if you're going to play any of the old Deus Ex games, make sure it's the first one.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zityz

It looks pretty good. It also makes me wish there was a new Shadowrun game...like a PROPER one.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti

Nah.

DrHawking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By DrHawking
    @dagas said:
    " I played the original Deus Ex long after release (played through the first mission). First time was in 2006 or so and I tried it again recently. I do not understand what people see in that game. It must be one of those games you had to play at launch. Unless you played it back in the day I doubt you'll like it now. You need that nostalgia to enjoy it at this point. To be fair this is a problem with most games. The standards change over time. Only a handful of games (like Mario games for example) age with any sort of dignity. And I'm not talking graphics, I'm talking gameplay. Despite what some people say games were not better back in the day, even mediocre games of today are superior in almost every way to a game from 10-15 years ago (apart from a few classics that is) "
    Yea age really didn't do it any favors but man was it amazing when it first launched.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Play it, its cheap as dirt now, and its about 30 hours if i remember correctly, truly a great game.
    @dagas:
      If graphics are THAT important to you, then yeah i guess, but it had great gameplay (shooting was awful) and an amazing atmosphere and story, so it doesn't have to age well because the best aspect of Deus Ex isn't the graphics..

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By tebbit
    @Dave_442 said:
    " I dont think you need to play it but I do think you should play it. Its awesome. "
    You took the words out of my mouth, put them back in my brain and converted them into keyboard strokes.

You don't have to. But you kinda do.
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dagas
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:

" Play it, its cheap as dirt now, and its about 30 hours if i remember correctly, truly a great game.
    @dagas:
      If graphics are THAT important to you, then yeah i guess, but it had great gameplay (shooting was awful) and an amazing atmosphere and story, so it doesn't have to age well because the best aspect of Deus Ex isn't the graphics.. "

Did you read what I wrote? "and I'm not talking graphics" I said. I just didn't like the gameplay. It may have been fantastic gameplay by the standards of 2000 or whenever it came out, but I found it bad. You seem to think that the only thing that ages in a game is the graphics, but everything ages. Games today are not the same as they were even a few years ago. It may seem that way because the changes are incremental and you don't really notice the small refinements made each year, but go back to an old game and compare and you'll notice that games improve every year. The developers constantly learn from feedback and experience to improve all sorts of things from the way a HUD is displayed to level design. There are a few games that are timeless, but Deus Ex is not one of them.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I beat it back in the day, and having tried to go back and play it again about a year ago, I found it to be basically unplayable by today's standards. The shooting and movement are just so awful. If I had to use a word to describe the game at this point it would probably be 'clunky.' I can go back to old school shooters like Doom and Quake and they still work because the controls are great, not so much with Deus Ex. It's a shame because the story and choices you can make are great, but everything else... Someone should really get on remaking that game with a modern engine.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Arabes

It depends on if you like retro games from that era or not. I've been playing games for 25 years and I can remember been blown away by Deus Ex even though I didn't pick it up until about 4 or 5 years after its release. I loved the openness and freedom in how you moved through the world. I loved the fact it wasn't particualrly easy and I really loved the hidden bits of info and the extra things you can do that you can completely miss on any playthrough. However if you have never played a retro fps from that time then you are gonna find it pretty rough going. I think its awesome though. One of my all time favourites.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Karkarov said:
    " I will warn you about all the sterling hype the original gets, that is alot of rose colored glasses talk.  It is a good game sure, when it released it was just plain bad ass.  Unfortunately that was a long time ago and the game has not aged well, it is hardly the epic tour de force people want you to think it is.  By today's standards the game is not revolutionary, the graphics even with DX10 mods and retextures stink, it is kinda buggy, and the game play is closer to Alpha Protocol than Mass Effect 2. "
    Not entirely true.

I played it about 8 years after its release, and I was still blown away by it.
    WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

Like everyone has said, it isnt mandatory to understanding the game but its best you do.

To familiarise yourself with the playstyle and also because its an alright game.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @dagas: Maybe you're right, but i don't agree with your view, in any case there are a lot of things that never age, and can be just as good 10 years after the release, the story, atmosphere, characters, concepts etc. Its still a great game in many aspects even by modern standards. And its by no means a perfect game, the voice acting in the Hong Kong part is god awful, the graphics really haven't aged well and like i said the shooting is also pretty bad but everything else is awesome imo.
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Karkarov
    @FancySoapsMan:
    I played it from start to finish last year and still enjoyed it myself.  It is just that alot of people have wayyyyyyy too high expectations going in.  There is nothing Deus Ex does that modern games don't do as well or better, it is a game someone who has never played it before will like for the setting, plot, and over all style.  They won't like it for the gameplay, graphics, music, etc etc.
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By cornbredx

The first Deus Ex game is a classic.

As such it has been innovated on by other games.

Playing it will be playing one of the first generation FPS/RPG (the biggest if I recall. Everyone at the time acted like it was revolutionary and genre breaking even though it wasn't the first to do this I don't think but at the time it did it better then any other game).

Looking at it from the perspective of the time, it is an amazing game. By todays standards while some games have improved on this concept of game play (see Mass Effect 2) not many have so it may still be ok. Just don't expect gun shots to be 1to1 and know that it relies on stats for gun shots and what not. Some people complain about the inventory system but I don't remember it being a problem like that.

I do remember, though, you do have the freedom to basically break the game. If you accidentally anger someone thats on your side (shoot one of your allies, steal from them while their looking, etc.) you may not be able to continue. Just remember to save I guess.

All in all I remember the story being really good, and the game not relying to much on its action. While the action is there and a large portion of the game, you could also spec in a way that you can sneak around if the mechanics bother you that much.

All in all it was a great game in it's day. A lot has changed, though, so you may not like going back to it, but if you're intrigued it's definitely worth the look.

BTW, the second one is bad mainly in story- a lot of the mechanics that I recall we're improved on. I only played the second one once and that is a little hazy though. You definitely don't "have" to play that one.

Edit: as for whether or not you have to by definition of the new one coming out: no. It's been so long they wouldn't make that mandatory and my only fear will be them consolizing it or something as the first Deus Ex had a decent Interface at the time. I'm speculatiing now, though. Anyway, no. You don't have to play the first but if you find old games fun or interesting, or just interested in seeings this one, then give it a shot. There are worse games out there, and this ones only old but most certainly not bad.

superpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By superpope

If you're only worried about understanding the new game, then no. If you're worried about angry mobs attacking you for not having played one of the greatest PC games of all time, then yes.

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Edwardryu

previous two games looks so complicated even though I wanted to play. I think that Deus Ex HR looks much better of course. it's 2011. so far I've never seen this kind of quality action RPG game yet (except PC version of ME 2). it's shooter but very different. you have four different ends. so it gives me four times to play at least. plus, there are three modes always to approach to next area (aggressive, stealth, adaptive) that's what I really like. oh, you can change perspective from first person to third person for situation.  

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bybeach

I'm playing Deus Ex right now and well, it has taken over. I thought I'd be too put off, but nope. I probably won't finish it though because I always make the same choice(the other 2 times I played it) though I am tempted.....

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SlashDance

I'm playing it at the moment too, for the 5th or 6th time at least. I just reached the twist right before Hong Kong, and it is still just as awesome as it was back then. Such a great moment.

You can add it to the "headshots are ruinning games" list though. Once you get to advanced or master level with the default pistol, dudes start dropping like flies.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagas said:

I played the original Deus Ex long after release (played through the first mission). First time was in 2006 or so and I tried it again recently. I do not understand what people see in that game. It must be one of those games you had to play at launch. Unless you played it back in the day I doubt you'll like it now. You need that nostalgia to enjoy it at this point. To be fair this is a problem with most games. The standards change over time. Only a handful of games (like Mario games for example) age with any sort of dignity. And I'm not talking graphics, I'm talking gameplay. Despite what some people say games were not better back in the day, even mediocre games of today are superior in almost every way to a game from 10-15 years ago (apart from a few classics that is)

It's hard to appreciate the game, because many genre standards were set by Deus Ex in 2001.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DystopiaX

@allworkandlowpay said:

@dagas said:

I played the original Deus Ex long after release (played through the first mission). First time was in 2006 or so and I tried it again recently. I do not understand what people see in that game. It must be one of those games you had to play at launch. Unless you played it back in the day I doubt you'll like it now. You need that nostalgia to enjoy it at this point. To be fair this is a problem with most games. The standards change over time. Only a handful of games (like Mario games for example) age with any sort of dignity. And I'm not talking graphics, I'm talking gameplay. Despite what some people say games were not better back in the day, even mediocre games of today are superior in almost every way to a game from 10-15 years ago (apart from a few classics that is)

It's hard to appreciate the game, because many genre standards were set by Deus Ex in 2001.

It's the stereotypical product of its time. I attempted to play the first mission, got frustrated, quit. Saw the QL, came back to it using stealth, made it past. Then quit because so much shit was clunky and dated. Could see why it was good back then though. But no, you don't need to go back. Game gets overhyped by fanboys. It was great for its time, innovated a lot and set alot of standards, but much like games that do that they're not on the same level as an average game of the same genre today.

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kyrieee

I think the biggest problem is the presentation. For most people it's not possible to be drawn into the game which I think  is a requisite for enjoying it. Stealth is not fun if you're not immersed, you're not going to want to explore if you're not immersed etc. The shooting isn't worse today than it was back then because it was never good. Personally I think the good stuff is still good though.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Tebbit said:
    @Dave_442 said:
    " I dont think you need to play it but I do think you should play it. Its awesome. "
    You took the words out of my mouth, put them back in my brain and converted them into keyboard strokes.

You don't have to. But you kinda do.
    what they said
    Jerome85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Jerome85

You don't NEED to play the first game, but I would recommend it.  You can beat the game with only having to kill one person, and even then there is a way around that.  Stealth >>>> Guns.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By stonyman65

I don't think you need to play it, but I think it would be a good idea to do so. Those games are so deep into their own fiction that I wouldn't be surprised that they put some stuff in there that you would need to play the other games to understand. I expect a Tracer Tong and Bob Page appearance somewhere.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bkbroiler

One of the things about the game is that your skills are downright BAD until you put some points into them. So the shooting sucks at first, you can't sneak, and you can't take much damage. I won't say it was a bad design choice, but it certainly makes playing the first level a turn-off.

However, later in the game you'll be running silent and invisible at super fast speeds, stabbing guys with swords and popping off headshots. Sure, the gameplay is a little clunky, but that has to do with how heavily the game is influenced by the RPG side of it (which is part of what makes it awesome).

So maybe the game doesn't hold up quite as well as some when you play it in 2011, but I still love it. It's an amazing experience and I think everyone should play it.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I think you should anyway. But no, you don't NEED to.
    bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bkbroiler

but yeah I know nothing about this game and I'm sure it is not necessary in any way to play the original in order to enjoy this.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BasketSnake

This will be my entry to the series. I recently bought the original on steam and while it's easy to see why it was so good back then I couldn't get into it now.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Enigma777

No, it's a prequel.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Karkarov
    @Stonyman65 said:

I expect a Tracer Tong and Bob Page appearance somewhere.

Yeah like in the first 5 minutes of the game even.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Karkarov said:
    @Stonyman65 said:

>.>
    <.<
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Karkarov
    @Tennmuerti said:

@Karkarov said:

@Stonyman65 said:

>.> <.<
    I am worried about Savage.... 

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Nocall

I don't want to be "that guy", because the game is worth playing, but you could always just read the "story" section on Wikipedia (there's no story section on GB's wiki page)

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

If you don't expect it to be modern, you won't mind at all. The whole "games are worse when they get old" is bullshit, peopel loved them just as much back then as people love vid games now. They are just different, and people look for different things in games. It also wasn't a huge production as I recall, so some jank is bound to pop up. I'd say give it 5 hours and if you still can't have any fun, just let it be.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AssInAss

Forget the people saying you need nostalgia, they're just using hindsight. I've been playing it recently and loving it, but I'd recommend a stealth playthrough because the shooting is definitely more RPG than FPS. I'm loving it not just for recognising its importance and looking at aspects in an objective way, but also seeing how fun the multiple styles of gameplay are; the choices, characters, humour, and conspiracy intrigue.  

I SPEEL MY DRINK! 

vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By vendetta
    @dagas said:

The original game has aged very poorly.
    ObiKwiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By ObiKwiet

Here is my problem. I have never played Deus Ex but I will not be playing it. I am too intrigued by Human Revolution to not start playing it tonight (I am very compulsive, sorry).

So what do I need to know? Is reading the Wikipedia page good enough?

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AssInAss
    @ObiKwiet said:

Here is my problem. I have never played Deus Ex but I will not be playing it. I am too intrigued by Human Revolution to not start playing it tonight (I am very compulsive, sorry).

So what do I need to know? Is reading the Wikipedia page good enough?

It's a prequel, so you don't need to know anything or spoil yourself with Wiki. Play the game, then figure out the references to the first game after you're done. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.