Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Recently Played: Deus Ex - Human Revolution

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sarumarine

I'm not overly knowledgeable of the first Deus Ex. To give you a point of reference, I did play the Ellis Island mission at a friends house years and years ago. But that's been awhile, so when I talk about Human Revolution I don't mean to make any comparisons to the series at large. So the stuff I find good, bad, or novel is probably older than I realize. I just felt compelled to make that disclaimer just in case.

Because I had a lot of fun with Human Revolution and its particular brand of the future. I also did a lot of sneaking and broke a lot of limbs in the process.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Breaking Into Everything: The Game)

There are some cool weapons and tools in this game. Like this Shotgun

I mostly played Human Revolution as the sneaky-sneaky type armed with a taser, the PEPS, a tranquiler rifle, and lots of fast talking. I didn't go pacifist though, as I had a shotgun for when things got heated. Also some robots I blew up killed a few guards in the process, so there's that. And I hacked a lot. I tried to hack everything I came across. There was a moment in the Sarif Industries building where I was following an e-mail trail about stolen drugs by going from office to office and cracking every computer I could find. Right there, I realized I was probably going to break into every single door, system, and building I could if it was possible. Luckily this only got old around the very last area, so it never felt like a real chore. It was always awesome to find ammo caches and money... even if I didn't use half of it. I think most of the fun I got out of this game was exploring everything. The Police Station was especially fun when I grabbed everything out of the armory.

The controls took some adjusting, but I didn't mind the shooting system. There were a few times when I took an assault rifle or the heavy rifle and tried to shoot my way into a few places just to see how it would work. Kinda wish I had invested upgrades to the targeting and recoil systems in that case, but even when I was going silent, it was fun to lure guards into corners and choke them unconscious or taze them silly. Kind of limited animations for the take downs, but there are some good ones in there. My favorite is probably where Adam Jenson folds a guys arm backwards and snaps it in a few places before punching the guy out. It's kind of hard to imagine that as non-lethal... but this is the future where you can get an artificial limb with a blade inside it so maybe it's not a huge deal.

Adam Jensen, the Aug that Fights Crime

I asked for the truth, asshole

One of my favorite parts of this game (besides hacking everything) involved the side quests. They weren't the usual "go find this thing, or kill that guy" deal, although that kind of stuff eventually figured into it. Since Adam Jensen is former SWAT of future Detroit turned super security guard, there are more than a few opportunities to get your investigation on where you're in pursuit of information rather than items. I really liked talking to people (since I had invested in the persuasion ability) and making them tell me everything I wanted to know. A few missions dig into Jensen's past, which had the right amount of mystery to it even when you reach the end of the trail. When you end up traveling to China, dealing with the local prostitutes and pimps made for a fairly cool diversion where you could frame a guy with drugs or throw him off the roof to stage an accident depending on how you deal with situations.

The down-to-earth nature of the side missions made me realize that I didn't really enjoy the main story nearly as much. Where you start out as a security guard saved from death by cybernetic technology and get sent to investigate the people who tried to kill you, the story can't help but spiral out to involve the fate of humanity, the future of artificial body parts, and long time conspiracies even characters in the game can't help but take shots at in a few scenes. Maybe it's usual for Deus Ex, but I think I would have preferred a little more grounded story involving corporate espionage or really taking aim at why Adam's boss and his doctor love interest are so interested in him. Maybe a crime drama or something to put it another way, especially since there are characters I like in this game. I think games at large should pull back from dealing with the fate of the world/humanity. Especially when high stakes like that usually hurt the ending of the game since it becomes impossible to wrap things up in a satisfying manner.

I didn't think the end of Human Revolution was the worst thing in the world, but it definitely stood out in a bad way.

How about them Boss Fights?

When Human Revolution came out, I heard the boss fights caught a lot of flak. If I'm not mistaken they were also patched or something. Either way, I didn't mind them so much. Considering I tried my best not to kill anyone, having a moment in the game where you actually had to go lethal was cathartic where I didn't have to worry about limiting casualties or being careful. The first boss fight with Barrett ended up being pretty entertaining because I shocked him with the taser and then threw explosive barrels and gas canisters at him until I won. For the second with the stealth lady, I played around with a bunch of grenades I had saved up from the mission leading up to her. By the third fight, I had enough inventory for a heavy rifle and shot up the place with hundreds of rounds. Of course, I really look forward to boss fights in a game.

I've heard that the first Deus Ex game gave you a lot more options dealing with bosses like ignoring them, or talking them down before a shot was fired or something. Which does sound really appealing if there was an option to be so damn sneaky, you could bypass a boss or find some covert way to take care of them. But for what they were, they weren't bad. Maybe except the last boss which was a kind of weird and freaky, and had tons of annoying invincible turrets (or at least I couldn't find a way to get rid of them) so I guess it wasn't all good.

Small, Unimportant Bits

To be honest, I totally picked the "I didn't ask for this" line when it came up in the game. I couldn't help it. I also thought Adam Jensen was voiced by a guy from a show called Leverage. There's an actor with long hair that has a really similar voice.

But overall, I really enjoyed Human Revolution.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sarumarine

I'm not overly knowledgeable of the first Deus Ex. To give you a point of reference, I did play the Ellis Island mission at a friends house years and years ago. But that's been awhile, so when I talk about Human Revolution I don't mean to make any comparisons to the series at large. So the stuff I find good, bad, or novel is probably older than I realize. I just felt compelled to make that disclaimer just in case.

Because I had a lot of fun with Human Revolution and its particular brand of the future. I also did a lot of sneaking and broke a lot of limbs in the process.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Breaking Into Everything: The Game)

I mostly played Human Revolution as the sneaky-sneaky type armed with a taser, the PEPS, a tranquiler rifle, and lots of fast talking. I didn't go pacifist though, as I had a shotgun for when things got heated. Also some robots I blew up killed a few guards in the process, so there's that. And I hacked a lot. I tried to hack everything I came across. There was a moment in the Sarif Industries building where I was following an e-mail trail about stolen drugs by going from office to office and cracking every computer I could find. Right there, I realized I was probably going to break into every single door, system, and building I could if it was possible. Luckily this only got old around the very last area, so it never felt like a real chore. It was always awesome to find ammo caches and money... even if I didn't use half of it. I think most of the fun I got out of this game was exploring everything. The Police Station was especially fun when I grabbed everything out of the armory.

The controls took some adjusting, but I didn't mind the shooting system. There were a few times when I took an assault rifle or the heavy rifle and tried to shoot my way into a few places just to see how it would work. Kinda wish I had invested upgrades to the targeting and recoil systems in that case, but even when I was going silent, it was fun to lure guards into corners and choke them unconscious or taze them silly. Kind of limited animations for the take downs, but there are some good ones in there. My favorite is probably where Adam Jenson folds a guys arm backwards and snaps it in a few places before punching the guy out. It's kind of hard to imagine that as non-lethal... but this is the future where you can get an artificial limb with a blade inside it so maybe it's not a huge deal.

Adam Jensen, the Aug that Fights Crime

One of my favorite parts of this game (besides hacking everything) involved the side quests. They weren't the usual "go find this thing, or kill that guy" deal, although that kind of stuff eventually figured into it. Since Adam Jensen is former SWAT of future Detroit turned super security guard, there are more than a few opportunities to get your investigation on where you're in pursuit of information rather than items. I really liked talking to people (since I had invested in the persuasion ability) and making them tell me everything I wanted to know. A few missions dig into Jensen's past, which had the right amount of mystery to it even when you reach the end of the trail. When you end up traveling to China, dealing with the local prostitutes and pimps made for a fairly cool diversion where you could frame a guy with drugs or throw him off the roof to stage an accident depending on how you deal with situations.

The down-to-earth nature of the side missions made me realize that I didn't really enjoy the main story nearly as much. Where you start out as a security guard saved from death by cybernetic technology and get sent to investigate the people who tried to kill you, the story can't help but spiral out to involve the fate of humanity, the future of artificial body parts, and long time conspiracies even characters in the game can't help but take shots at in a few scenes. Maybe it's usual for Deus Ex, but I think I would have preferred a little more grounded story involving corporate espionage or really taking aim at why Adam's boss and his doctor love interest are so interested in him. Maybe a crime drama or something to put it another way, especially since there are characters I like in this game. I think games at large should pull back from dealing with the fate of the world/humanity. Especially when high stakes like that usually hurt the ending of the game since it becomes impossible to wrap things up in a satisfying manner.

I didn't think the end of Human Revolution was the worst thing in the world, but it definitely stood out in a bad way.

How about them Boss Fights?

When Human Revolution came out, I heard the boss fights caught a lot of flak. If I'm not mistaken they were also patched or something. Either way, I didn't mind them so much. Considering I tried my best not to kill anyone, having a moment in the game where you actually had to go lethal was cathartic where I didn't have to worry about limiting casualties or being careful. The first boss fight with Barrett ended up being pretty entertaining because I shocked him with the taser and then threw explosive barrels and gas canisters at him until I won. For the second with the stealth lady, I played around with a bunch of grenades I had saved up from the mission leading up to her. By the third fight, I had enough inventory for a heavy rifle and shot up the place with hundreds of rounds. Of course, I really look forward to boss fights in a game.

I've heard that the first Deus Ex game gave you a lot more options dealing with bosses like ignoring them, or talking them down before a shot was fired or something. Which does sound really appealing if there was an option to be so damn sneaky, you could bypass a boss or find some covert way to take care of them. But for what they were, they weren't bad. Maybe except the last boss which was a kind of weird and freaky, and had tons of annoying invincible turrets (or at least I couldn't find a way to get rid of them) so I guess it wasn't all good.

Small, Unimportant Bits

To be honest, I totally picked the "I didn't ask for this" line when it came up in the game. I couldn't help it. I also thought Adam Jensen was voiced by a guy from a show called Leverage. There's an actor with long hair that has a really similar voice.

But overall, I really enjoyed Human Revolution.

procrasturbate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By procrasturbate

Great game. Got really deep on the steam version but my pc broke and couldn't finish.

spykereightsix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By spykereightsix

Probably one of my favorite games of this generation, but definitely not without its flaws. Personally, HR was a game that advertised true choice of play-style, but in the end, you really only have one option. For the life of me, there was no way I could find to go through the game like a straight-up FPS. Instead, it seemed clearly designed to be a stealth game, with choice being restricted to choosing between hacking or persuading. I loved the narrative overall - especially the first act, but I agree, the different endings seemed tacked on and much like ME3, none of the options seemed to really make much of a difference.

On a side note - I was also a bit disappointed that the CG cutscenes were the not the same as those shown in the trailers, like movie trailers showing scenes not in the final cut.

Casey25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Casey25

I enjoyed it too. It's probably my favorite (not necessarily the BEST, but my favorite) Western RPG.

I dont know how i could play this game without going lethal - the weapons are just too cool. Even though the AI was noticeably wonky at times, I really liked the combat for a few reasons.

The weapon design, awesome across the board. The revolver was badass, and fully upgraded with EXPLODING rounds it was beastly. Overall the sound design on those guns was just sick, from the subtle click of pulling back the slide on the silenced pistol, the punch that the snipers and shotguns have, and the hissing when the plasma rifle's head sink is ejected. The crazy spinning assault rifle magazine mechanism and the classic-with-a-futuristic-twist crossbow were great too. It really outclasses most shooters i've played in a long time in terms of how the weapons look, sound, and feel.

The takedowns. Both lethal and nonlethal are very satisfying to watch, ranging from the classic haymaker to impressive real and practical martial arts techniques. I wish there was some better way to manage them other than the battery system which, while avoiding broken strategies, felt too limiting to me.

The options. Dealing with mechs can involve stealth, a rocket launcher, an emp grenade, a laser cannon maybe. Or you can hack them to disable them or turn them against hostiles. Defending an elevator from waves of enemies can mean lying low until it arrives, setting up mines along your flanks while you cover a hallway with the heavy rifle, initiating Bruce Lee mode with a few spare energy items, hacking a turret, or putting vending machines in the doorways so nobody can come into the room.

I recently played through Dishonored and that scratched that itch that DX:HR did as well, but steampunk < cyberpunk any day imo :P.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ShadyPingu

Glad you enjoyed it. The side quests, in particular, stick in my memory as really well done. A few of them slot into the main story with a level of subtlety that games often lack the restraint to pull off, like the quest where you talk to the lady suffering from Alzheimers. I mean, it's clear that they're saying...

HEY GUYS THIS IS WHY ADAM CAN HAVE ALL THESE CRAZY ROBOT PARTS WITHOUT HIS BODY REJECTING THEM

...but they don't actually come out and say it. They pretty much just let that lie there, and let you make of it what you will. That really struck me as very respectful of the player, and it's something not many games would do, I think.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By awesomeusername

I played through it in October. Did 2 and a half playthroughs to get every trophy in the game which was fun to get. The half was because I missed a book in China and couldn't go back to get it. It's also one of the few games I bought DLC for. I'm not a DLC guy but I loved this game so I needed more. A great game overall.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By natetodamax

I looooove Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Glad you enjoyed it as well.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Nice to see that you had a positive experience with this game. Really, other than some of the quirks involving stealth and the aforementioned Boss Battles, DXHR is probably one of my favorite games of this console generation and I am even willing to excuse how utterly stupid the ending choices are. Then again, I also think Dishonored does a lot of the same things, and does them better, but I haven't played this game recently enough to give any sort of direct comparison.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SlashDance

I just replayed Deus Ex 1 and Human Revolution back to back. I love these games so much. It's crazy how they managed to hit the same notes with HR. It's almost too much in spots.

• Starts with Bob Page talking conspiracy and stuff.
  • Terrorist organisation attacks but wait they are not the real threat !
  • Big cyborg dude and lady cyborg antagonists.
  • Let's go to China for a bit and then come back to America only to find the city in chaos.
  • Pilot takes you from mission to mission but dies at the end unless you manage to save him/her.
  • Tech guy talks to you all the time but serves no purpose whatsoever.
  • Talk to 3 dudes in the last 20 minutes that each tell you which ending they want you to pick.
  • The Illuminati !
  • Basketball court.
  • Don't go to the ladies room.
    nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nok

That menu music will forever be with me, I could just sit and listen to it repeat forever.

Sad fact, I bought that song on itunes and now I do listen to it repeat forever............

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Vinny_Says

Is that shotgun DLC? I don't remember it.

And yes HR is one of my favorite games this gen. It filled that void in between Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and Conviction in terms of stealth action games. Yes the boss battles were weird (but surprisingly easy) and the ending seemed rushed but overall it's a solid and unique experience with a strong sense of style. Played through the whole thing both non-lethal and super lethal and none of the experiences detracts from the other; that's something I couldn't say about Dishonored unfortunately.

It sold pretty well as far as I can tell, I really hope the guys and gals at Eidos Montreal get to work on more Deus Ex.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

DXHR was great until the hacking got too monotonous that the experience started growing duller. This game certainly needs more than just hacking and persuasion; it needs pickpocketing and lockpicking. There just weren't enough ways to bypass certain areas without hacking. I guess the developers were so proud of their hacking minigame they gave it emphasis more than anything else.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Claude

I have a penis and not a vagina. Both seem acceptable to me.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By Liquidus

@SlashDance said:

I just replayed Deus Ex 1 and Human Revolution back to back. I love these games so much. It's crazy how they managed to hit the same notes with HR. It's almost too much in spots.

• Starts with Bob Page talking conspiracy and stuff.
  • Terrorist organisation attacks but wait they are not the real threat !
  • Big cyborg dude and lady cyborg antagonists.
  • Let's go to China for a bit and then come back to America only to find the city in chaos.
  • Pilot takes you from mission to mission but dies at the end unless you manage to save him/her.
  • Tech guy talks to you all the time but serves no purpose whatsoever.
  • Talk to 3 dudes in the last 20 minutes that each tell you which ending they want you to pick.
  • The Illuminati !
  • Basketball court.
  • Don't go to the ladies room.
  • Yeah, it's pretty clear HR was made by people who loved the original Deus Ex.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sarumarine

@Encephalon: Yeah, when I got to that mission, that was the one time in that game where I felt bad interrogating someone so I eventually backed off and left. I got enough out of it though.

@Vinny_Says: I think the shotgun on the right is the one I used. I knew it had an olive drab color scheme and was pretty effective. It sure felt good when shooting guys up close after they spotted me sneaking around.

@Casey25: The guns did look really cool. They were the reasons I tried to go lethal in a few spots to try them out. I didn't know that revolver had explosive rounds though. That sounds awesome.

@NoK: I really enjoyed the music too. Great soundtrack I felt.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By ZombiePie

I own a Augmented edition copy of Deus Ex: Human with the pre-order bonus and have only played about an hour of it. It unfortunately lost out to Skyrim.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By ShaneDev

It's a fantastic game and I love it. I sadly haven't gotten the time to re play it since it came out. There are some problems with the abilities being balanced properly and the battery system is also kinda poor.

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By endoworks

I picked this up over a year ago for super cheap on a steam sell and still haven't gotten around to it. Need to fix that soon!

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By skooks

I played through it last year, put about 35 hours into it and loved every second. I've never really been into stealth games - or at least I've never been very good at them - so I picked this up expecting to go into missions guns blazing but not only did I take a stealthy approach, I enjoyed playing the game that way.

I just generally loved the setting and the tone of the game. I'm a sucker for all that cyberpunk/Blade Runner kind of stuff. I just love this game a whole lot. Oh and the music, shit I loved the music. So good.

I really want to go back sometime and play through it again.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sarumarine

@ZombiePie: Tough choice. I think I like Human Revolution better, but that's mostly because I like future stuff and the dash of mystery/investigation is great too. It's more having to do with aesthetic reasons on my end. Both are pretty good games, I think.

@ShaneDev: Yeah the battery stuff wasn't great. As soon as I realized the only way to charge them was eat power bars, I didn't bother upgrading them and just maximized the charge time. That worked pretty well.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#21  Edited By tearhead

Yeah, this game was great! The boss fights were TERRIBLE, though...

Irishdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Irishdoom

I played through this game in May/June of last year. I really enjoyed it, and think maybe it deserves another play through. I was actually in the midst of playing it again when my vid card started overheating on me.

I love stealthy/hacky/shooty games done right, and this is one of them. The hacking mini game was good, the shooting and different weapon choices were solid, and the stealth felt right. Not "get seen and you're dead" stealth, but the kind where you can recover if you make a mistake. I need to try it again for that "ghost" achievement. It should look great on my upgraded setup since then too. I had an AMD Athlon X3 and a Radeon 4830, and now I have an FX 6300 and a Radeon 6950. :)

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sarumarine

@Irishdoom: Yeah, I liked the stealth in Deus Ex. The "Huh? I think I saw something" felt just about right where I could lure guards into traps if I moved carefully.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By BisonHero

Yeah, it's one of my favourite games of that year, but I agree that the main plot isn't engaging (you're chasing after this hacker guy for way too long), and I think the inclusion of the Illuminati would seem really random to anyone who is not familiar with Deus Ex 1 (which half-seriously combined like every conspiracy theory ever). Also, it felt OP that you gradually got every upgrade. I prefer games like Deus Ex 1 and Bastion where you're given a binary choice of abilities, and you cannot have both. Makes things more interesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.