The flow of augmentation upgrades and no NGP?!

#1 Edited by sdharrison (475 posts) -

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I felt early on like a lot of my praxis points HAD to be spent just to keep up with hacking/heavy objects.  Sidequests especially seem to force you into pretty high level hacking almost right away. 

I'm wanting to get things like super jump, faster run and cloak - but I'm being forced to worry about what upgrades will allow me to simply access content.  None of this would bother me at all, if I ever got a chance to just open the toybox up post game and play around but apparently there is no new game plus or any opportunity to re-experience any levels fully upgraded. 

#2 Posted by Xolare (1257 posts) -

A lot of sidequests that have both hacking or heavy objects can be bypassed. Sometimes there's a vent cover behind a cardboard box or something. Also, with the hacking there's sometimes a code hidden somewhere. IE Like in Cloak & Daggers O'Malley's password is in his bookcase. 

#3 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

also, I do believe that you visit detroit a second time; from what I've heard anyway.

#4 Posted by The_Nubster (1950 posts) -

Everything has a way around. There are no sidequests that are unbeatable, they're just slightly more time-consuming or difficult. This is a game about choice; you just have to look harder.

#5 Posted by The_Nubster (1950 posts) -

No sidequest is unbeatable, there's always a way around. It just takes more time if you're not a good hacker or picker-upper. It's a game about choice; you just have to look around.

#6 Posted by Tennmuerti (7723 posts) -

There are always a least 2 or more ways to reach any goal.

Secondly if you are a completionist and both explore everything and get as much XP as possible you will get a LOT of points, enabling you to pretty much max out the stuff you want.

#7 Edited by believer258 (11047 posts) -

I found it odd that not many critics seemed to complain about how the game "strongly suggests" a certain way of playing, or if it was mentioned it wasn't brought forth as a strong criticism and I think it is. I was promised a game where I could choose to be a stealthy bastard or a murderously loud son of a bitch. I wanted to upgrade toward the latter, but no can do. The game wants me to be stealthy, and it really, really pushes anything like that. Disappointment for me... 

Still, I'm enjoying the game a whole lot. It's just not necessarily greatness.

#8 Posted by Tennmuerti (7723 posts) -

@believer258:

Upgrade your armor and the gun skills first. Shoot everyone. Problem solved. You don't have to sneak around at all if you don't want to.

For more badassery get double takedown, wall punching, strength and the typhoon.

#9 Posted by believer258 (11047 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:

@believer258:

Upgrade your armor and the gun skills first. Shoot everyone. Problem solved. You don't have to sneak around at all if you don't want to.

For more badassery get double takedown, wall punching, strength and the typhoon.

Yeah, but it just feels to me like I'm going to need more hacking and lifting strength instead of other stuff in order to finish side missions.
#10 Posted by CenturionCajun (1461 posts) -

Like they said earlier in the thread you can complete all those side missions with hacking or strength. It just requires you to find less direct routes and hidden objects. While hacking and lifting are the most obvious solutions they arn't the only ones.

#11 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4282 posts) -
@Xolare said:
A lot of sidequests that have both hacking or heavy objects can be bypassed. Sometimes there's a vent cover behind a cardboard box or something. Also, with the hacking there's sometimes a code hidden somewhere. IE Like in Cloak & Daggers O'Malley's password is in his bookcase.   

SERIOUSLY? 

REALLY? 

GODDAMN IT.
#12 Posted by project343 (2807 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

Everything has a way around. There are no sidequests that are unbeatable, they're just slightly more time-consuming or difficult. This is a game about choice; you just have to look harder.

Actually, this isn't entirely accurate. There's a side-mission in Shanghai that requires rank 3 hacking in order to complete.

#13 Posted by Stahlbrand (835 posts) -

I'm almost done my primary run and I never took +strength. I've never found anything I needed to lift that I couldn't accomplish though stealth or hackery, or sometimes high-jump, maybe.

My beta-playthough, which is still in Detroit, but the second part is going to be my strenght+guns run.

#14 Posted by The_Nubster (1950 posts) -
@project343 said:

@The_Nubster said:

Actually, this isn't entirely accurate. There's a side-mission in Shanghai that requires rank 3 hacking in order to complete.

0/10. Worst game. Not worthy of Deus Ex name.
#15 Posted by Sammo21 (3030 posts) -

@sdharrison: I have the opinion that most of the augmentations are extremely contrived and basically "gamify" the experience. I really hoped to be a little more immersed into DE:HR but I have not...sine they decided to be so literal in being almost exactly like the original Deus Ex its done nothing but constantly remind me that I'm playing a game and that I'd rather it be different. I do agree however that the game is 200% easier if you focus on hacking but heavy lifting was never an issue as they overtly litter the landscape with vents. The game is really easy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.