The story so far Part 2 *spoilez*

Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

So last night I had to pause a cutscene.  My wife was watching me play and the Illuminati were first mentioned.  I had to explain how when Deus Ex first came out, building a conspiracy around the Majestic 12, FEMA and the Illuminati was not yet hokey or played out.  And I myself was impressed that in HR, this is not treated ironically.  It's as if the developers forced themselves to forget a decade of conspiracies being played out, ironic, and pathetic.  That was cool.  Even if ultimately a conspiracy about FEMA and the Illuminati isn't the greatest serious fiction, they are faithful to the material.
So I must say I love the way this game unravels the story.  I don't too much care for the boss fights, but I'm playing as a 'hacker/warrior' character, so the bosses aren't the most challenging.  I did take the killswitch however, and that sucked.  Wish I didn't do that.  Anyways, I'm very near the end of the game now so I have some further thoughts.
I learned more about Adam (yes i'll use the right name now).  His birth parents were not 'evolutionary' like Adam is, Adam is evolutionary advanced because he was experimented on in urtero.  That's cool.  Well, no, experimenting on unborn babies is not cool.  What's cool is that as I read the details, I remembered, this is the deus ex canon backstory.  The illuminati identified DNA that was the 'next step' in evolution, unlocking augmentation and such, and experimented on pregnant women until they got it right.  Eventually they get the 'perfect' specimen (the Dentons) and clone them, but Adam is a forerunner in this process.  I totally love the way this bit of story dovetails with the canonical back-story.  Also, the naivete of people at the very highest levels of these secret organizations blows my mind.  I mean, when I saved all the scientists, Adam's ex girl seemed to be willingly developing the killswitch device.  Because she didn't believe that was a designed use.  SO NAIVE.  The zombie stuff is kinda goofy, but I like how they take a situation of massive unrest worldwide, and make it worse by creating this worldwide hallucination for augs.  
Anyways, I am interest to play out what's remaining of the story and report back, but I've very much so enjoyed my ride thus far getting through Deus Ex HR, and looking forward to re-plays, especially if they sell me DLC that adds to the middle of the story.  
So as I begin thinking of playing my next game, I'm also thinking about what's next for the Deus Ex franchise.  More specifically, I'm wondering what's next for Eidos Montreal.  I mean, I think they're the ones in charge of the Thief 4 game, which I am quite excited to see where that goes, but I'm wondering if it's more of the Deus Ex franchise that I want, or just more of these games that give me so rich an experience.  Yes, the gunplay is not 'great', nor is the AI.  Although I have enjoyed all that, as there's enough story and hacking and sneaking and meat and variability (see my post on turret mayhem in  Picus) for me.  I'm also wondering what the 'difficulty' means in this game.  Most of the places people have complained about being too hard on the give me deus ex difficulty have been fairly easy or only somewhat challenging for me.  Which is odd, because every other game i've ever played (except the original Deus Ex) with difficulty settings give me challenge beyond the 'medium.'  So maybe what I want is more first person cyberpunk games with slow action and a good story.

#1 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

So last night I had to pause a cutscene.  My wife was watching me play and the Illuminati were first mentioned.  I had to explain how when Deus Ex first came out, building a conspiracy around the Majestic 12, FEMA and the Illuminati was not yet hokey or played out.  And I myself was impressed that in HR, this is not treated ironically.  It's as if the developers forced themselves to forget a decade of conspiracies being played out, ironic, and pathetic.  That was cool.  Even if ultimately a conspiracy about FEMA and the Illuminati isn't the greatest serious fiction, they are faithful to the material.
So I must say I love the way this game unravels the story.  I don't too much care for the boss fights, but I'm playing as a 'hacker/warrior' character, so the bosses aren't the most challenging.  I did take the killswitch however, and that sucked.  Wish I didn't do that.  Anyways, I'm very near the end of the game now so I have some further thoughts.
I learned more about Adam (yes i'll use the right name now).  His birth parents were not 'evolutionary' like Adam is, Adam is evolutionary advanced because he was experimented on in urtero.  That's cool.  Well, no, experimenting on unborn babies is not cool.  What's cool is that as I read the details, I remembered, this is the deus ex canon backstory.  The illuminati identified DNA that was the 'next step' in evolution, unlocking augmentation and such, and experimented on pregnant women until they got it right.  Eventually they get the 'perfect' specimen (the Dentons) and clone them, but Adam is a forerunner in this process.  I totally love the way this bit of story dovetails with the canonical back-story.  Also, the naivete of people at the very highest levels of these secret organizations blows my mind.  I mean, when I saved all the scientists, Adam's ex girl seemed to be willingly developing the killswitch device.  Because she didn't believe that was a designed use.  SO NAIVE.  The zombie stuff is kinda goofy, but I like how they take a situation of massive unrest worldwide, and make it worse by creating this worldwide hallucination for augs.  
Anyways, I am interest to play out what's remaining of the story and report back, but I've very much so enjoyed my ride thus far getting through Deus Ex HR, and looking forward to re-plays, especially if they sell me DLC that adds to the middle of the story.  
So as I begin thinking of playing my next game, I'm also thinking about what's next for the Deus Ex franchise.  More specifically, I'm wondering what's next for Eidos Montreal.  I mean, I think they're the ones in charge of the Thief 4 game, which I am quite excited to see where that goes, but I'm wondering if it's more of the Deus Ex franchise that I want, or just more of these games that give me so rich an experience.  Yes, the gunplay is not 'great', nor is the AI.  Although I have enjoyed all that, as there's enough story and hacking and sneaking and meat and variability (see my post on turret mayhem in  Picus) for me.  I'm also wondering what the 'difficulty' means in this game.  Most of the places people have complained about being too hard on the give me deus ex difficulty have been fairly easy or only somewhat challenging for me.  Which is odd, because every other game i've ever played (except the original Deus Ex) with difficulty settings give me challenge beyond the 'medium.'  So maybe what I want is more first person cyberpunk games with slow action and a good story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.