Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

To kill or not to kill.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CaptainCody

So basically, I borrowed a copy from a library and have decided to shoot for not killing anyone in the game. To my surprise, I am incredibly amazed at the lack of ammo both from shops and that so little tranquilizer darts lie around when getting deadly ammunition is as simple as incapacitating someone. Worst of all is energy being so tedious to manage, making melee a difficult decision. Am I better off just shootin' dudes or should I just stick this style of play out?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

Its EASIER to kill, but is it MORAL to kill.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Canteu

I played the entire game without killing anybody on the hardest difficulty.

It's a lot easier to not kill anyone. It just sucks that you're always waiting around for your 1 bar of energy to regen since it doesnt regen past that.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By zidd

I did a pacifist run when I played it and I found there to be plenty of powerboost bars and ammo for the stun gun and tranq rifle. If you want to have an easier time with it just spend 2 praxis points on the recharge rate of your energy and check shops for more non lethal ammo. I however didn't find a lot of P.E.P.S. Energy Packs (its also non lethal) so you should save those up for the end of the game.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By adoggz

stun gun is the easiest weapon to use and its the nonlethal weapon. So, maybe?

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Klei

Melee isn't difficult, it's just incredibly powerful and better used for stealth or quick finishers on one or two enemies. I mostly used it when run and gunning to take down a couple of opponents without burnning through ammo. Also, headshots and the armor-piercing upgrade of the pistol make it the best weapon in-game.
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By N7

I went through the entire game without even using a lethal gun and somehow I ended up killing three people. There is an upgrade that you get that allows you to glide down from high places. Don't use that above knocked out enemies, because it will kill them.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Ravenousrattler

kill them all, and stack them high.

Skunkboy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Skunkboy72

@N7: oh god that sucks major balls. I wish they were a little more upfront about how you actually killed people.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

If you are going for the no killing achievement just know that you are not allowed even to kill in the tutorial.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By N7
    @Skunkboy72: Yeah. That's the issue with all stealth games. They never tell you how you killed anyone. At least in MGS3 during the scene with The Sorrow you can get a good idea who/where/how you killed.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that gliding on its own doesn't kill anyone, it's when you use the "Stun" feature that it kills them. Which is even more ironic and dumb.
    GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GTCknight

@CaptainCody: Quick tip: if you don't want run-out of ammo and batteries then sneak around them. Use your stealth options.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Dagbiker said:

Its EASIER to kill, but is it MORAL to kill.

Yes, and who gives a shit. Just kill them all >:D

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Brians

Not killing was a fun accomplishment for me

Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kandycane2029

It's a lot more fun to tranq/incapacitate and sneak through compared to playing like it's a normal FPS. Though, I screwed up in the prologue and killed a couple people, so I didn't get the achievement for no kills. Definitely a game worth a second playthrough, however.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mnzy

They probably deserve it.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By audiosnow

I played through the whole game on Deus Ex difficulty, setting off no alarms and killing no one. After 10 or so hours, difficulty popped, alarms popped, but apparently some idiot wandered off of a balcony eight levels ago. Am I going to try again? Sure. But I'm going to play angry.

If you try for it, just be prepared to be enraged occasionally.

EODTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EODTech

I got the Ghost and the Pacifist achievement on a single playthrough. Some tips for Pacifist:

-Kills in the tutorial DO count, so don't kill those guys either.

-CHECK after you incap somebody. If they have a skull icon instead of the "Zzzz" icon, they are dead. Reload, hoss.

-If possible, wait for somebody to wander into an area where you're not going to have to hide them before you knock them out. I have found that dragging people--especially down stairs or into vents--sometimes kills them. I once bonked a guy's head against a jersey barrier and killed him (the second time you visit Detroit).

-Sometimes if you stun people twice it kills them.

-Incredibly, I'm convinced that I once killed a guy by walking over his snoozing unconscious body. There couldn't have been any other explanation--he was alive, I walked over him to hack a safe, I walked back over him to the door, turned around and he was dead. Be careful.

-Punching through walls often kills people on the other side. Don't do it.

-Above all, BE CAREFUL how you handle unconscious peopled; and BEFORE you leave an area, go back through and CHECK all the bodies again if it's possible. Make sure they're all just asleep rather than dead. If you find one dead, reload, hoss.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mandude

My initial plan was to do this. I picked the tranq rifle as my weapon, all ready to go, immediately ran out of ammo and decided to screw it....

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've capped loads of people. Seems killing people actually puts you in a minority when it comes to Deus Ex.

I also tend to execute them, anyway; even if they've been put down with tranqs/elbows.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#22  Edited By Mnemoidian

@EODTech: Odd, my first playthrough I got both of those achievements and I was far from careful - even going as far as seeing how many I could stuff into a single vent (pretty much emptied the policestation in Detroit and put them all in the same vent ducts), dragged them up and down stairs.

I had some issues with the Tranq rifle killing from headshots, but that was the only time I was even paying attention that.

Still, good tips if you are really serious about it.

Additional tip: Destroying robots and turrets is OK for Pacifist, but keep in mind that the robots explode if you EMP them - and if the Robot's explosion kills someone, it's on your head. Really good to know at a certain place in the game (no spoilers!), if you decide to take the difficult route despite being a Pacifist ;)

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NTM

I think there's a lot more ammo in that game than I was expecting. The thing is, if you run out of ammo, you just need to go in and knock them out. It's not that bad. If you're into the achievement where you don't kill anyone, save often. I don't know what some people complained about. I felt the issue was easily remedied. The game's a lot funner doing sneak and kill.

Emperor_Jimmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Emperor_Jimmu

Once I levelled up enough I was able to use the stun gun and take-downs in most situations without much trouble. I used the tranq gun when approaching situation from afar, before moving in closer once opening up a clear path. The only time I killed anybody (besides bosses) was later in the game when SOMETHING happened to a character and I felt a little bit of murder was in order.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I didn't kill anyone the whole time. It was worth it.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I didn't kill anyone simply because I got more XP for non-lethal takedowns.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#27  Edited By zidd

@EODTech: Theres also a random chance that a dude will die from a tranq or stun gun shot as well.

Check your crosshairs when you are using the stun gun. If its red its a hit and if its still yellow your target is too far away.

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
    deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mr_Skeleton said:

If you are going for the no killing achievement just know that you are not allowed even to kill in the tutorial.

ah NO!!! I have to start all over again :(:(:(

there's one side quest 1st time in Hengsha where one of the hooker want you to throw some random dudes from rooftop, does that one count?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Zidd said:

@EODTech: Theres also a random chance that a dude will die from a tranq or stun gun shot as well.

Check your crosshairs when you are using the stun gun. If its red its a hit and if its still yellow your target is too far away.

They die from head shots. 
    Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Stealthmaster86

I only kill if it was a last resort. That ended up happening way more than I wanted. I used the nonlethal take down most of the time. Unfortunately, I lost all interest of the game half way through. Still a great game though.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By audiosnow
    Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#32  Edited By Mnemoidian

@sate2801: there is an optional non-lethal way to do that mission. If you press the issue with the lady you get the mission from, she'll tell you about it.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@sate2801 said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

ah NO!!! I have to start all over again :(:(:(

there's one side quest 1st time in Hengsha where one of the hooker want you to throw some random dudes from rooftop, does that one count?

Talk to her about other ways to get rid of him, and she will give you a way to frame him for drug use.

Cootsnoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cootsnoop

I heard there's a glitch that shows the skull as if they're dead, but you still get the pacifist trophy at the end

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hoossy

@CaptainCody:

I think the bigger question is...

You can get games from the library!?!?!? When was this a thing? When did libraries get into the video game business?! I'm jelly

Avatar image for the_great_skenardo
    the_great_skenardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mnemoidian said:

@EODTech:

Additional tip: Destroying robots and turrets is OK for Pacifist, but keep in mind that the robots explode if you EMP them - and if the Robot's explosion kills someone, it's on your head. Really good to know at a certain place in the game (no spoilers!), if you decide to take the difficult route despite being a Pacifist ;)

This precise spoiler-free certain place is where I was forced to give up pacifism. I didn't have any EMP for the robot, and I was adamant that the situation should turn out in a specific way. Made me mad enough to kill, so I loaded up the diamondback and damned them all to hell. Dropped down a hard save first in case i ever feel like going back to try it the peaceful way.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By hoossy

The game is more fun in stealth mode...

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By avidwriter

I played the um "demo" way back. Still waiting for the game to get cheap, as I don't wear an eye patch. I've been thinking about how I want to play... I will definitely be stealthy but as for murder or not, we'll see.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.