Trouble with Shanghai Justice (minor spoilers)

#1 Posted by stoydell (58 posts) -

I've been working on the mission mentioned above and after you get Lee to confess, Faridah asks you to go to the top floor in the Hive night club and hack a security terminal. The problem I'm having is that this is easily the most difficult hack I've yet come across and I've put a lot of points into hacking. I assume other people have finished this, so I ask you, what did you do to get past this? I have full Fortify and 1 augment for Hacking Stealth, for the record.

#2 Posted by Keenblaze (466 posts) -

Hacking Fortify is useless in my experience. Hacking Stealth is where it's at; once you fully upgrade that tree, you can get through most hacks without being detected. 

Since it's a bit too late for that, I'd try a different hacking strategy, maybe? Forget fortifying your nodes, it's too easy to be detected. Just hack the fastest path to the green orb, and use nukes and slow worms liberally... hacking isn't particularly difficult if you do that.

#3 Posted by jaymorgoth (243 posts) -

I agree with Keenblaze. It's really easy to get more programs if you just hack the storage nodes when they come around. So for this one I would definitely nuke and worm your way through and you should be fine. After that might want to consider some points into Hacking Stealth cause it really really really makes a difference later on.

#4 Posted by AkIRA_22 (54 posts) -

I'll start with the left side, I found I could hack first node without detection then nuked my way past the rest (I had 3 nukes). leaving the green orb open.

on the right I started once I was detected and sprinted home to the other orb. I fortified my starting point and any folders in the way.

#5 Posted by Kazona (3094 posts) -

Yep, having the same issue. I think I really screwed up my guy's leveling. Might start from scratch :/

#6 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Get the augments that improve the odds of not being detected, the stealth hacking augmentation (i think) when fully upgraded lowers the chance of detection to 15% for nodes 1-3 and lowers the rest. Get some nukes and worms, you can buy them from a merchant. Use the nukes on the higher difficulty nodes and use worms for when you're detected, hope that helps.

#7 Posted by stoydell (58 posts) -

I forgot to mention that I have no nukes or worms for whatever reason. I did save before I used one of my Praxis kits recently so I'll go back to that save and use it for Hacking Stealth instead of Fortify. And I'll try your strategy, Akira. Thanks everyone for the help, I'll come back again if I have any more problems.

#8 Posted by hoossy (939 posts) -
@stoydell
I agree, that was a hard one. 
I ended up using all my nukes a at least 1 or 2 stop worms.  Almost depleted my collection... but the payoff is worth it!  And you can always find/buy more!
#9 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

I would say that was a hard one... If I hadn't had max hacking and level 2 hacking stealth at that time. Since you didn't specify, I'm just going to say don't fortify until you're actually detected, since it has higher chances of detection. Other than that... I really can't give much.

#10 Posted by Sin4profit (2999 posts) -

@stoydell: you do know about adding the defenses to the nodes you've taken over (blue) right? Not to talk down to ya, i had only figured that out when i got to a hack i couldn't get past so that's why i ask.

#11 Posted by stoydell (58 posts) -
@Sin4profit: I actually didn't know that, so thank you for pointing it out. 
@TwilitEnd656: I didn't know that was a better way to do it, so I'll try that next time.
#12 Posted by Sin4profit (2999 posts) -

@stoydell: Yeah, i believe adding the defenses to the blue nodes increases the "trace time" and you can only add the defense to any node as long as the trace (red line) hasn't passed that node yet. This is where Fortify comes in handy because you can hack one node while setting up your defenses on the other nodes at the same time.

#13 Posted by picklecannon (265 posts) -
@Sin4profit said:

@stoydell: Yeah, i believe adding the defenses to the blue nodes increases the "trace time" and you can only add the defense to any node as long as the trace (red line) hasn't passed that node yet. This is where Fortify comes in handy because you can hack one node while setting up your defenses on the other nodes at the same time.

You shouldn't really fortify unless it has a really really low chance of detection, or unless you've already been detected. Also another hacking tip that I figured out only like 80% into the game that may or may not be applicable to that particular terminal - You can hack the red persons terminal and it gives you all of the bonuses that you would've gotten if you hacked all of the storage terminals, and it automatically makes the hack successful.
#14 Edited by stoydell (58 posts) -
@picklecannon: You mean the big stack of red plates or whatever that comes after your entrance node when you get detected? Every time I've tried to hack that before it never worked. Do you know if there are any tricks regarding that?
#15 Edited by Marz (5671 posts) -

apparently you can kill Lee and complete the quest if you can't hack it (i'd save before you do it though)

#16 Posted by picklecannon (265 posts) -
@stoydell said:
@picklecannon: You mean the big stack of red plates or whatever that comes after your entrance node when you get detected? Every time I've tried to hack that before it never worked. Do you know if there are any tricks regarding that?
If the only connection to the node has arrows pointing away from it then there's no way to hack it.
#17 Posted by Froggles (32 posts) -

I'm getting a different issue with this terminal. There is a bouncer staring straight at it and shoots me half way through each hack. No way to knock him out that I have found without his bouncer friends coming after me...

#18 Posted by wealllikepie (757 posts) -

you can buy the bombs and the stop programs from the vendor at the hotel, that might help out at least a bit

#19 Posted by Froggles (32 posts) -

I have loads of stops and nukes, but the guard still shoots me...

#20 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

@Froggles: I have the same exact problem, but there's two bouncers. I'm trying to tranq both of them without having everything go hostile, otherwise I have no idea how to complete this mission.

#21 Edited by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

@Froggles: I was searching the web some more and I found this good suggestion on the gamespot forums of all places. It said to go to the basement after the bathrooms, take the garbage can and put it on the corner of the bar. It'll block the guard who is looking directly at you. It worked for me.

UPDATE: Dangit, I wrote this while I was alt-tabbed as soon as I walked into the view of any bouncer they went hostile, I think I'm just going to run out of the club.

UPDATEx2: Ok, so that first attempt I had used one of those automatic hacking devices. Now I tried just hacking it and none of the guards went hostile nor alarmed. It works.

#22 Posted by 137 (481 posts) -

never use nukes, nuke every damn node, problem solved.

#23 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

@Froggles: @Gregomasta: If you have it you can hack while in Stealth. But since it takes some time it's pretty much a requirement to have it well leveled up at that point, plus more then 2 batteries if can be helped either that or spamming nuke viruses while in stealth.

It's wierd but for me the guard is always looking away from the console in both the playthrought I did.

#24 Posted by misterhaan (227 posts) -

the first time i played i went downstairs and listened to tong through a vent for the main mission, but the second time i talked to him upstairs first and then just walked right into his office. i think the second time the guards didn't care about me hacking that terminal, but it's possible they just didn't notice.

#25 Posted by Sapp (17 posts) -

That's weird. I don't recall being detected by anyone during that hack. Is that supposed to happen and did I just get lucky or is that one a bug?

#26 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

@Sapp said:

That's weird. I don't recall being detected by anyone during that hack. Is that supposed to happen and did I just get lucky or is that one a bug?

I think it depends on how you did the main mission in the Hive. If you just walked in legit and talked to Tong then the guards treat you as ally and don't care about hacking.

But if you gained access to restricted areas in a not entire legit way (sneaking/combat) then they mind.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.