What difficulty should I play this on?

#1 Posted by Pie (7034 posts) -

I like a good challenge but don't want to be getting frustrated because of dying constantly due to cheap tricks and stuff like that. I think I'm fairly good at games. 
Just hearing peoples opinions on the difficulty would be nice.  

#2 Posted by Quemador (165 posts) -

You and me On medium.... its on buddy!!

#3 Posted by JoeyRavn (4946 posts) -

Medium, go for it.

#4 Posted by OtakuGamer (1223 posts) -

I heard the AI can be quite pathetic but you can die easily. So medium sounds like a good choice.

#5 Posted by McFly (63 posts) -
@Pie:  The game isn't very hard ( with the exception of boss fights)  so you can start with "Give Me Deus Ex" (the hardest). You can also change the difficulty mid-game through the pause menu, so if you find any fight too frustrating, it can be fixed immediately.
#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

This is a good question, I need an answer too.. 

I heard the bosses are impossible on high difficulty, but then again the AI seems to be retarded on easy. Medium sounds like a good choice but i'm not sure

#7 Posted by Pie (7034 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: Maybe swallow our prides and bump it down to medium during boss fights?
#8 Posted by Ketchupp (672 posts) -

Depends on if you like achievements or not.

#9 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

I was wondering the same thing. Can anyone confirm that the AI is better on hard, or am I just wishfully thinking?
#10 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

I'm playing it on easy, as I do anything on PC/PS3. If I had gotten it for Xbox, I'd be playing on whatever difficulty I needed to for achievements.

#11 Posted by GrandHarrier (179 posts) -

AI doesn't change its "tactics" based on difficulty. They just take more damage and deal more as far as I can tell. If you are going for the Pacifist achievement, you should go with the highest difficulty, as all of your moves SHOULD be one shotting them into submission.

#12 Posted by JoeyRavn (4946 posts) -

@GrandHarrier said:

AI doesn't change its "tactics" based on difficulty. They just take more damage and deal more as far as I can tell. If you are going for the Pacifist achievement, you should go with the highest difficulty, as all of your moves SHOULD be one shotting them into submission.

What? It makes no sense to play on Hard if you're trying to do Pacifist. Difficulty is not tied to this Achievement, so play it on Easy in case you are spotted and have to run away. Bullets do less damage, so you have more chances of escaping without having to engage anyone, either in lethal or non-lethal ways.

#13 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

It depends, do you want a challenge or do you want Deus Ex? ;)

#14 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@GrandHarrier said:

Thanks, mate. Suspicions confirmed, then. I'm sure I'll still have an absolute blast; the AI can't be that bad.
#15 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

I'll be starting on "Give me a Challenge", and I'll go on from there. If I don't find the AI too broken I will turn up to "Give me Deus Ex".

#16 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@GrandHarrier said:

What? It makes no sense to play on Hard if you're trying to do Pacifist. Difficulty is not tied to this Achievement, so play it on Easy in case you are spotted and have to run away. Bullets do less damage, so you have more chances of escaping without having to engage anyone, either in lethal or non-lethal ways.

But if you can also be completely stealthy, you don't have to engage, and you'll end up with three big Achievements/Gold trophies: one for difficulty, one for pacifism, and one for not being detected.

#17 Posted by Spoonman671 (4523 posts) -

You die real fast on medium, so if that's a real problem for you, you might want to stick to easy for now.

#18 Posted by Marz (5641 posts) -

I'm playing on max difficulty, have yet to have a problem.  I'm mostly playing stealthy though so i guess that negates the damage guards can do to me.   Boss fights were kinda easy as well.

#19 Posted by Kenobi (357 posts) -

Play it on max difficulty.  I had a hard time with it, butit makes it a much more survival based game and now that I have played through it on easy as well, I definitely recommend the hardest.  Just be prepared properly for boss battles.  Max out your inventory, and get emp shielding.

#20 Posted by MikkaQ (10262 posts) -

Medium... always pick medium for a first playthrough unless it's a guitar hero/call of duty type situation where each iteration plays the same.

#21 Posted by DystopiaX (5291 posts) -

Medium...hard is jacked, you die in like one shot it's ridiculous.

#22 Posted by Karkarov (2942 posts) -

Uh the AI is fine, it is the same as any other game like this one to be honest.  Guards run their patrols so on so forth.  Actually this game is smarter really, I never had a guard in metal gear solid get alerted cause they saw a door open but no one walked through it.

#23 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@Pie: I started in medium today on the 360, changed it to easy 15 mins later.. My personal policy with broken gameplay titles: I just go with easy, I won´t bother. The control layout is not intuitive at all and feels weird also the combat is just plain mediocre.

Anyway the story and the world is interesting enough to keep me going, just as the Jeff review stated.

#24 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

All of you should play it on hardest.  This game deserves your frustration.

#25 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

Hard and Medium don't feel any different at all to me. You seem to die in 2-3 shots on both, and the AI doesn't seem any smarter.

#26 Posted by Kazona (3058 posts) -

I'm playing it on medium, and most of the times it's ok, but there are definitely frustrating moments for me. I think, however, that this is because I've been leveling up my guy improperly.

#27 Posted by jmic75 (262 posts) -

I haven't really seen much of a difference between medium and hard, the first boss went down with 2 frag grenades and a clip of rifle ammo, so not sure if they're harder. If you plan on trying to rambo through the game an easier difficulty ,might be better plan.

#28 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -

Medium, the lack of a reticle on hard mode makes the third person combat a bitch. 

#29 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I'm playing on Tell me a story just because the way they described it...i am playing Deus Ex:HR for the story. I'll replay it on the hardest as well. I'd wager the only change from easy to hard is enemies have more hp, they do more damage and hacking might be more difficult.

#30 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1230 posts) -

Hard is a nice challenge. It doesn't feel that cheap.

@Gav47: You can enable that, on PC at least (just in the menus, no weird haxxoring).

#31 Posted by Sin4profit (2903 posts) -

@Pie: ya probably already made yer choice but i can just say for anyone coming in that playing on the hardest difficulty is fine throughout the game up until you get to the boss fights...that's when you may regret it.

#32 Posted by Pie (7034 posts) -
@DonPixel: Thanks for the suggestion but so far I've been playing through on medium and enjoying it. Also what do you find bad about the gameplay and the controls specifically? At first I thought that having to do a right stick to aim down the sights would be a pain but because of the way I've been playing through (stealthily only really using the tranq rifle) it hasn't bothered me much. Everything else seems pretty par for the course control wise. 

@Sin4profit: I guess because I'm playing through stealthily the enemys taking and giving a bit more damage wouldn't of made much of a difference except in boss fights. Eh, the boss fights on hard can't be that hard can they? 

Thanks for everyone's responses but I made up my mind by the time the 4th post was posted :P
#33 Posted by Sin4profit (2903 posts) -

@Pie said:

Eh, the boss fights on hard can't be that hard can they?

The bosses can one hit kill you on the hardest difficulty. So if you run into them unexpectedly you'll die and have to start over, very frustrating.

Basically i had to do a hit and run tactic and hard save the game over and over again so i wouldn't lose damage progress when they one hit killed me...terrible terrible boss fights.

#34 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

The bosses are super easy if you invest into cloaking and a rocket launcher (or laser riffle). However since you can literally die at the drop of a hat, I'd recommend normal.

#35 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming: Enemies die pretty easy on hardest.  They just kill you way easier.  A headshot is still a headshot. Not sure if hacking is harder or not, but some terminals can't be hacked without some viruses (certain sec 5 terminals) on the hardest difficulty, esp with my build (all hacking except stealth, so I set off the antivirus easily).
#36 Posted by Gargantuan (1880 posts) -

Hard wasn't very difficult for me. I mostly stuck to the shadows but every firefight I got into was pretty easy. Most bosses took 5-8 attempts.

#37 Posted by Gargantuan (1880 posts) -
@Gav47 said:
Medium, the lack of a reticle on hard mode makes the third person combat a bitch. 
Get a laser sight. I never used the iron sights after I got a laser sight on my pistol, machine gun and sniper rifle. The sniper rifle with a laser sight is great against bosses since you can do a lot of damage without exposing yourself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.