Where are the hostages?

#1 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

So, about ten hours into the game, I found out "yeah, you failed to save the hostages in the very first mission, because you took too long to start the mission". So after all this time invested, I started over (also, because I realized how futile playing without killing people is in this game) and went straight into the mission as soon as possible. But the hostages still weren't there. Room was empty, except for those two damn dudes who are always talking in there.

So . . . where in the hell did they go? What magical line did I cross *this* time that I should have been paying attention to?

#2 Posted by Ping5000 (385 posts) -

There is no magical line. The room should have a bomb in it with many hostages screaming your ear off to disable the bomb. I got there by taking a vent in one of the corners of the room, leading me to the ceiling, which let me bypass the patrols and allowed to save them without much of a hassle.

#3 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

So is the only way to get to that room with the hostages still alive, by vent? I figured that if I simply got there faster (started the mission faster), they'd be there. That seems like an odd dividing line to have - especially with no payoff for arriving there in an alternate way (like a room full of dead hostages?).

#4 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Not killing dudes is NOT futile. I'm halfway through the game, and have only shot two dudes in the face. I love that damn tranquilizer. Also forget about doing a perfect run, especially on that mission, it's basically a tutorial, and offers minimal reward.

#5 Edited by thetenthdoctor (291 posts) -

I used some vents in that mission, but in the room with the hostages up in the office, I snuck through on the ground, past the guards and up the stairs. Maybe it has to do with not alerting the guards in that room?

#6 Posted by AssInAss (2646 posts) -

If you look up, you want to get up those beams and you'll walk across it straight to the hostage room. You'll need to go through a vent to get up there. That's all I remember from the beta, I'm getting the game today.

#7 Edited by Spacetrucking (943 posts) -

@Branthog: The hostages are on the 2nd floor in Assembly Room #1. There are two paths:

1. The Door. But it's a Deux Ex game so it's never the recommended way. As soon as you enter, you trip the bomb and only have 30 secs to hack it before everyone in the room dies.
  2. The Vent - aka where you'll spend all your time. The one you're looking for is on the first floor to the right, just as you enter the Assembly room. It leads you all the way to the hostage room and allows you to hack the bomb without a timer and free the hostages. You also get subsequent missions from one of the hostages if you succeed.
#8 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

I took SO LONG in that first mission. Like, just hung out and explored everything, going 100% stealth, hacking every single computer in that cubicle area, etc. Then I came across the guards right before the hostage room and some of their dialog made it sound like the hostages were already dead and I thought, "Aw, crap, I guess I took too long." So I explored some more, took out the guards, came out a vent and... oh, hey, hostages. What's up. You guys want me to dismantle this thing? Cool.

So I don't know if there's a time set on it or what. Like, where does that invisible time start or cut off. Or is there even one? Just curious. Cause it took me like 40 minutes to get to them, easily.

#9 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1177 posts) -
@drhans: Think he means taking too long before going to the helipad to start the mission. (Could be wrong). I pissed about stealing beer and candy bars in the offices before starting the mission and they were all dead. But the candy was deee-licious.
#10 Posted by FritzDude (2263 posts) -

I used a lot of time before that mission, and i went through it 100% stealthy (ghost*). I also went through the vents at the back and every hostage was killed. It took me a while before i realised i could save them. So i would assume it's time based?

#11 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

@Twisted_Scot: Worth it.

#12 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

I am like 3 missions away from beating the game and have not killed anyone at all.

#13 Posted by Brians (1463 posts) -

I beat the game without killing anyone. Then promptly forget the predatory combat in my kill people game. Gotta get back to slow murdering fools.

#14 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

Alternatively, if you just say fuck it- kill the dudes in the lobby before the hostage room, and loot them (hell tranq them all then loot the bodies) you'll get the code to the bomb, you can walk in the door and diffuse the bomb easily.

#15 Posted by SSully (4186 posts) -

I didn't even know that was a secondary objective, so I failed that which was pretty dissapointing. But I was not about to redo the mission because I took forever doing that mission.

#16 Posted by Sammo21 (3276 posts) -

I didn't find it too hard, I just didn't dick around with hacking anything @ Serif until I came back. Once you start the mission you're fine and you actually do get rewards for saving them and the lady at the end opposed to what a few people have said. The game is extremely linear.

#17 Posted by Nux (2360 posts) -

Not killing dudes and being sneaky offers some good XP.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.