Invisible War: Should I risk it?

#1 Posted by Fozimuth (170 posts) -

People hate this game. But I don't know anything about it other than that. I've played the other two Deus Ex games numerous times, and I don't exactly have high expectations. But is it my duty to play it, or will it negatively impact my mental health?

Or will I know I wasted my money on this game when I could have bought a key in TF2 instead?

#2 Posted by blueneurosis (98 posts) -

Do you like load screens? If you do, then you may love it. I honestly don't remember much of the plot, just how it felt like a slog as it dragged along.

#3 Posted by Querky (8 posts) -

I for one remember liking Invisible War. Sure, it was my first experience with the Deus Ex franchise, but I don't think it's a bad game. You shouldn't get your hopes too high though as it's not AS good as Deus Ex, but it sure is worth playing.

#4 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2296 posts) -

@Fozimuth said:

People hate this game. But I don't know anything about it other than that. I've played the other two Deus Ex games numerous times, and I don't exactly have high expectations. But is it my duty to play it, or will it negatively impact my mental health?

Or will I know I wasted my money on this game when I could have bought a key in TF2 instead?

That sounds like wasted money

#5 Posted by dannyodwyer (355 posts) -

I played Invisible War when it first came out and I enjoyed it. It's not as good as the first game, but I've always felt like it was one of these games that was unfairly lambasted. It's almost a poster boy for 'shit sequel' but really a shit sequel to Deus Ex is still capable of being a good game.

Plus it's got basketball in it.

#6 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

Maybe take a look at some gameplay videos or something beforehand to give you an idea of what you're getting into, but considering how cheap it is on Steam right now, I say it's worth taking the gamble that you might not like it.

#7 Posted by fRAWRst (236 posts) -

Invisible War is fine, just not up to the standards that the first one set.

It has some really solid rpg mechanics, some fun missions, and decent storyline. The biomods make u pretty imba, but thats what all rpgs are suppose to do

its really not that bad, i enjoyed it

#8 Posted by WarlordPayne (700 posts) -

It's not the worst game ever, but it's kind of poorly designed top to bottom. The powers are wildly imbalanced, most guns are useless due to the universal ammo, and it's pretty boring.

#9 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

It's not a completely terrible game, but I've never found a machine that could run it properly.

#10 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6155 posts) -

I'm one of those crazy bastards who liked Invisible War more than the original Deus Ex, but I'm in the vast, vast minority and my mental health has been called into question after stating such nonsense. I'd say as cheap as it is, give it a shot.

#11 Posted by Metzo_Paino (318 posts) -

I really enjoyed it.

#12 Posted by TehBuLL (608 posts) -

Are you going to get a free tshirt if you buy it at Best Buy? Because I dd and that is the most I remember about it. Otherwise get ready for a sub-par Deus Ex experience full of loading screens and good music. The music is good. I can't argue that.

#13 Posted by august (3836 posts) -

It's better than a stick in the eye.

#14 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -

It's not horrendous but it's nowhere near as good as the first, or even Human Revolution for that matter.

#15 Posted by DeF (4863 posts) -

@Fozimuth said:

there are also a lot of people who say the game gets way too much hate because it was one of those early cases of being not what fans of the original expected or wanted. it's probably gonna be fine and not like some broken mess.

at the price you're getting it right now in the steam sale, you can't really lose.

#16 Posted by Fattony12000 (7317 posts) -

It's the third best Deus Ex video game.

It's pretty good.

#17 Posted by Fozimuth (170 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook:

It's suggesting that my time might be better spent getting even more TF2 items than playing this game.

#18 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2296 posts) -

@Fozimuth said:

@SomeDeliCook:

It's suggesting that my time might be better spent getting even more TF2 items than playing this game.

Get a new game you may or may not like or get an in-game item that is just a duplicate of another item you already have.

I'd go with Invisible War, even though I've heard mostly bad about it.

#19 Posted by PenguinDust (12499 posts) -

People hated the game because they immediately compared it to the groundbreaking original, but on its own it's not a bad game. I liked what I played of it back in the day. It's more linear, but it still has a good mood to it.

#20 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1771 posts) -

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

I'm one of those crazy bastards who liked Invisible War more than the original Deus Ex, but I'm in the vast, vast minority and my mental health has been called into question after stating such nonsense. I'd say as cheap as it is, give it a shot.

So you're the one.

#21 Posted by VoshiNova (1678 posts) -

@Fozimuth: I hadn't played the original Deus Ex when I purchased Invisible War on xbox, and I loved it. Open ended gameplay and some really cool locals.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.