Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 22, 2000

A celebrated cyberpunk-themed first-person role-playing game, Deus Ex puts players behind the shades of JC Denton--an operative thrust into a world of byzantine global conspiracies.

Nostalgia and You

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Edited By mfpantst

So I have no clue why- maybe it was the four hours it took me to get bioshock running (turns out the game's audio engine doesn't work with the weird creative audio usb sound card I was using- stupid me, and also doesn't work with realtek sound if another game installs a virtual driver on your computer- like Dirt3 does) or maybe it is the summertime, but I've reinstalled Deus Ex.  
    I've applied the HTDP, New Vision Mod, that enb thing and a dx9 renderer, played with my config settings so they all work nice and have it going.  Of course, every so often the graphics model crashes and I  have to alt+enter to windowed mode to restart the graphics driver- but that's only a minor headache considering Deus Ex in modded form looks actually pretty good.  By comparison- there are small effects in Deus Ex (Unreal 1 tech) that actually match the effects in DNF- not that DNF is a great looking game, but that's more to point out when that game should have come out.  

If you don't believe me find a waterfountain in each game.  No way they should both look the same- but they do.

Anyways- I love Deus Ex.  THat's really the point- playing this game reminds me of the many times I have played the game- reminds me of the many times I have re-installed the game.  Also reminds me of the crazy things the story does to you the first time you play.  And so, 12 year old spoilers ahoy!

Anyways- now I tend to do all the things I know to do in every level- instead of slacking off on exploring.  So when you first get to hell's kitchen, I always visit the MJ12 facility- something you can do on your second visit, which is a really cool experience- especially how there are different goings on each time.  And, of course, ironically so, a mission played out totally different this current playthrough than ever before.  So yeah, this game is pretty damn good.  And with all the mods written for the game's look, it holds up relatively well.  So I guess some of you will go re-install the game .... again, but if you do- take the time to play it and upgrade the look.  it's totally worth the while and for me, brings me back to the depth games can have.  

Makes me excited and worried about DXHR all the same- I mean i'm hearing this game might be pretty crap or pretty much like Dx2, which would suck alot...

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mfpantst

So I have no clue why- maybe it was the four hours it took me to get bioshock running (turns out the game's audio engine doesn't work with the weird creative audio usb sound card I was using- stupid me, and also doesn't work with realtek sound if another game installs a virtual driver on your computer- like Dirt3 does) or maybe it is the summertime, but I've reinstalled Deus Ex.  
    I've applied the HTDP, New Vision Mod, that enb thing and a dx9 renderer, played with my config settings so they all work nice and have it going.  Of course, every so often the graphics model crashes and I  have to alt+enter to windowed mode to restart the graphics driver- but that's only a minor headache considering Deus Ex in modded form looks actually pretty good.  By comparison- there are small effects in Deus Ex (Unreal 1 tech) that actually match the effects in DNF- not that DNF is a great looking game, but that's more to point out when that game should have come out.  

If you don't believe me find a waterfountain in each game.  No way they should both look the same- but they do.

Anyways- I love Deus Ex.  THat's really the point- playing this game reminds me of the many times I have played the game- reminds me of the many times I have re-installed the game.  Also reminds me of the crazy things the story does to you the first time you play.  And so, 12 year old spoilers ahoy!

Anyways- now I tend to do all the things I know to do in every level- instead of slacking off on exploring.  So when you first get to hell's kitchen, I always visit the MJ12 facility- something you can do on your second visit, which is a really cool experience- especially how there are different goings on each time.  And, of course, ironically so, a mission played out totally different this current playthrough than ever before.  So yeah, this game is pretty damn good.  And with all the mods written for the game's look, it holds up relatively well.  So I guess some of you will go re-install the game .... again, but if you do- take the time to play it and upgrade the look.  it's totally worth the while and for me, brings me back to the depth games can have.  

Makes me excited and worried about DXHR all the same- I mean i'm hearing this game might be pretty crap or pretty much like Dx2, which would suck alot...

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By owl_of_minerva

There was a leaked build of DXHR that received pretty positive comments even from some notoriously hostile forums (like RPGCodex). But yes, I agree, Deus Ex is a fantastic game, and I hope that the next game will do a better job of living up to it than Invisible War.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mfpantst
    @owl_of_minerva: Hmm- that does give me some hope.  I think I had heard alot of good things right up to E3, then heard alot of hands on talk about it not being good.  Still keeping up hope though.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By vitor

@mfpantst: I found it mixed. It feels unique and very open ended in places with a myriad of ways to tackle each mission (doors to hack, heavy boxes to lift, ledges to leap from, cloaking abilities - all of the above dependent on what augmentations you'd procured) but the world itself felt so stale and static. A lot of the design feels a little dated and visually it's a mixed bag with a great art style vying with some severe technical issues but it feels like Deus Ex at the very least.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mfpantst
    @Vitor: hmm interesting- glad it feels like Deus Ex.  I'm hoping the dated and tech issues items have to do with you having played it on a console (hoping?)  and that those won't really apply to the PC release.  First and last time I'll ever say that.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vitor

@mfpantst: No luck I'm afraid - I hit the PC beta that got leaked and, even maxed out, it looked pretty subpar in places. And with the release only a month or two away, there's no way that's getting fixed. On the plus side, even a modest rig will max this out at 60FPS.

The cutscenes they use in place of in-engine cinematics at points are dreadful though. They play at a low res and differ in art style enough that it's seriously distracting. Wished they'd just kept all the exposition in-engine instead of this weird doctored/heavily post processed combination of CGI and in game assets that they went with. Dialogue is also a big off. Voice acting is middling and the overall delivery of the story can be a little heavy handed at points.

I was definitely hooked by the end of it though - augmentations are addictive as all hell and I do feel connected to the story at large. Just don't go expecting anything as revolutionary as it's predecessor. It definitely feels more evolutionary in nature than anything else.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @mfpantst: There was only a PC leak of the beta as far as I know so I assume that's the one everyone's been playing. Having played the beta myself I found myself to be enjoying it a lot. I doesn't break any new ground but it gets the feel of Deus Ex right bar two or three issues. I was a little sceptical beforehand but now I only feel much more excited to playing the full build when it's released. One of our fourmgoers wrote an extensive write up on his opinions on the beta. Worth a read if you're a fan. 
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mfpantst
    @Vitor: @eroticfishcake: Ahh- ok.  That sucks- somewhat.  Although in truth I don't know if 'revolutionary' is what I want, maybe just an evolutionary spiritual follow up to the first game (as opposed to the second game)
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vitor

@mfpantst: If that's what you're after, you're safe! It's not a bad game at all - a little underwhelming maybe but I probably had unfair expectations going in. It's a good game. Just expect 3 or 4 stars as opposed to the 5 I was hoping for.

It definitely feels like the sequel the first game should have had. It's just a shame it didn't come out a few years ago when it probably would have been more relevant.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mfpantst
    @Vitor: Ahh- sounds good.  I'm ok with people playing it and feeling whelmed- or underwhelmed.  I hear you on the timing- if this game really feels like the right sequel its a shame its coming out now and not when that shite of a sequel came out before.  But I'll take it- i think I could go for some conspiracy action that's legit engaging.
    Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Tesla

The original is my favorite game of all time. I was glad to hear the generally positive words of the leaked build and look forward to playing Human Revolution. Of course I never expected a perfect game, especially after Invisible War a few years back.

But if I can still go back and play the original and forgive the flaws, I am sure I will enjoy HR.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I actually went back and played the first game for the first time about a month ago (obligatory plug for more detailed thoughts), and I certainly liked a lot of what it had to offer. While I think that claims of "Best Game ever made" are perhaps blinded by nostalgia, I do think that Deus Ex is a very good game, albeit one that hasn't aged as well as some would think.
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Regarding DXHR, I played the leaked build too and I agree with your opinions. It does look a bit dated and the voice acting isn't always there (I think Jenses is excellent though), but it plays like Deus Ex in many ways, even though it's a lot less clunky and more modern of course. I really enjoyed it a lot, especielly the fact that you can tell they really worked hard with the choices and make sure every choice has a consequence that you will experience/see.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mfpantst
    @ArbitraryWater: So I think I read your blog before (being I commented on it, but I read again- and read the dice roll blog as well).  I do certainly agree with you on the graphical front for aging- though I'm playing around with the various graphical mods making the game age much better- though Unreal 1 still has some problems that none of the updates fix.  Oh well.

Anyways- I do have a comment or two for you on the dice roll issue and skills progression.  Interestingly, every time I play the game I usually spend more time fighting with a pistol than the assault rifle- so my 'correct' skill tree is a little different than yours- and still works.  That's really all I have to say on that.

On the dice rolls- I've never felt Deus Ex was a very 'dice roll' game.  I actually kind-of think the aiming system they have is the correct way to incorporate Rpg elemtents and guns.  And here is how I see the skill system- upgrading your skills for a weapon set upgrades your character's ability to handle the weapon- involving recoil, reload speed, scoped stability, and the speed by which the reticle centers.  And by that- if you are pointing right at a dude's head, and your reticle is centered, you'll hit him.  Interestingly- I've always gotten the laser point mod in the first level and put it on my pistol.  with that, you can see how they aren't using a dice roll system in the way games like fallout do.  If your laser point is reflecting off a dudes head and you pull the trigger- he dies.

I'm not saying there isn't a randomness to bullet spread tied to "skill level" in the skills tab, but that if your gun is truly trained on a dude in a particular spot- your gun will hit him there.  The laser pointer was always a bit of a cheat for me- as no matter how 'un-centered' your reticle is if the laser dot is on your target, you'll hit it.  Also- that's my reason why I think Deus Ex gets gun progression right- in most games with more 'dice roll' shooting- if the laser was on your target there's still a chance you'll miss the target.  Also even without the pointer there are visual clues to tell you how accurate your shot will be (the reticle will be fully centered or not), and that has to do with skill level, movement and stance, which I imagine real-life gun accuracy also has something to do with that.  So I do agree with you there is a skill adjustment to weapon accuracy, but I don't think it's a classic dice roll- I kinda think its the model other games should follow.
    RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RockAction

I just finished the game for the first time today; a friend of mine had been begging me to play it for a year, and if people think its old with mods, the PS2 version is the worse way to play it

still its an excellent game though, and a great remedy to the current trend in games where you feel out of control, i really enjoyed the freedom of gameplay and continuity of story; it still feels like an old game, but the freedom that it gives you and the story/setting still make it worth playing today

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mfpantst
    @RockAction: In which case I have an important question for you:

So did you start and finish it for the first time, or actually finish it the first time?  And the first time JC turns on unatco what did you do?
    Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Crash_Happy

I'm sorry but the last thread about nostalgia was so much better than this one. You should have seen it.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mfpantst
    @Crash_Happy: LMAO

/thread
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Jimbo

I hope Human Revolution does feel like Deus Ex. They need to show they 'get' Deus Ex before they can hope to build on it.

I haven't played the preview build myself, but the response to it from commenters on RPS seems to be very positive.

RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RockAction
    @mfpantst said:
    @RockAction: In which case I have an important question for you:  So did you start and finish it for the first time, or actually finish it the first time?  And the first time JC turns on unatco what did you do?

never realised the way i wrote that could be read that way 

i started and finished it this week; first time playing it and i guess the first thing to turn on UNATCO was   

SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mfpantst
    @RockAction: damn spoiler tag doesn't work for me...  Anyways this game is old enough you probably don't need it.  or you could pm me.  Anyways I was asking because I did something you can't do (or tried to do something) the first time I played the game, and wanted to see how you reacted in the situation.
    RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RockAction
    @mfpantst said:
    @RockAction: damn spoiler tag doesn't work for me...  Anyways this game is old enough you probably don't need it.  or you could pm me.  Anyways I was asking because I did something you can't do (or tried to do something) the first time I played the game, and wanted to see how you reacted in the situation.

Yeh i just hate spoiling things, it was on a plane with agent navarre and my reaction led to gunther getting annoyed; thats cryptic enough i think 
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mfpantst
    @RockAction: Ok so that happened to me on my second and third playthroughs.  After that I've tended to play that scene differently (applying mercenary morals), but on my first playthrough, like 2 mintutes before that scene in the game I tried for hours to kill one particular immortal character because I was actually of the believe that everything was exactly as it seemed. 
    RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RockAction

Thats what really struck me about the game, most games claim to give you all these options when really its just choose to be good or bad or go down on road or the other and specifically set up those sections  

for example i'm currently playing infamous and its strange in the good-bad thing, its so literal "give them food or destroy it" / "save them or walk away" without reason whereas in deus ex it struck me as so novel, especially considering its age, that you have these choices, and they're obviously designed as choices or intervals with numerous outcomes but it appears more subtle than that, and there are different actions you can make that you wouldn't consider without reading about them 

i'm defeating the point of the above spoiler banner but i was so sure that after that altercation I would see a 'game over' screen considering she was a supporting character   

and there were loads of those kinds of interactions, i didn't even meet maggie chow in her apartment, i got the item and ran and later i met her and she said it was rude not to talk to someone when you're in their apartment 

those kinds of interactions and reactions just made it feel like the game really was changing because of my involvement

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mfpantst
    @RockAction: Yeah- in my current playthrough I'm about to go back to hells kitchen for the second time and I've already done things vastly different than ever before.  This game sorta blows me away how sometimes in my current 'conditioned' state, i usually think shooting is the best way to get out of situations, yet when I do that in Deus Ex, people go batshit.  Try killing the dude arguing with the doctor in Hells Kitchen 1, and see what happens...
    RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RockAction

Don't know when i'll play through it again, my friend requested my copy because he lost his and considering all the praise i've been giving it since i've played it and talking about story points etc got him back into it 

but i'll give it a try the next time; think i'm going to save at particular points too so i can see how it changes with the choices i make

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mfpantst
    @RockAction: if you have a pc that runs moderately new games you should check it out for the pc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.