Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 18, 2015

A remastering of Capcom's fourth Devil May Cry game featuring 3 additional playable characters, enhanced graphics and balance tweaks.

DMC 4 SE Discussion Thread

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Fredchuckdave

How are you guys liking it? Actually I'm more interested in what mode people first went to, personally I picked Lady/Trish and went straight to Legendary Dark Knight. If you're not aware this mode makes it so there's like 3 times as many regular enemies in the game, including as many as 30-40 on screen at once. It's really a blast to play and Lady does really well against multiple targets. Of course she does rather poorly against single target foes and has pitiful melee damage, so you're best served binding shoot to a trigger and always charging something to supplement your godlike shotgun stinger and "Sweep."

Here's a few videos if you're curious, first of Belial:

So, Belial has always been a bit of an odd fight, the best strategy being to either air-hike on his back or just snatch repeatedly with Nero. With no trickster dodge it isn't particularly easy to avoid getting hit by him and the only way to avoid the ground puddles (with Lady at least) in phase 2 is the always impractical roll dodge. I tried fighting him with shotguns/melee to no avail, I'm sure it's possible but it would take quite a while. So we rely on our good buddy the Rocket Launcher, which does almost as much damage as a sword swing and probably dishes out said damage faster. The charged attack only goes in one direction and doesn't adjust and does less damage than Nero's Charge Shot Level 3 when fully charged so even though the damage is considerable the lack of maneuverability really hurts. LDK difficulty is locked to Son of Sparda I believe so all the enemies deal their maximum damage they just don't go into Devil Trigger; in the 40 minutes I played prior to Belial I got enough Red Orbs to buy a bunch of Blue Orbs from the shop, hence the life meter.

And here's a more summarial video of the first part of Chapter 3, yes I broke the golden rule and used an item but I was in a rush to get to work:

This shows off a decent number of attacks. I've always kind of despised Ebony and Ivory so the fact that the shotgun seems unilaterally superior (as though it wasn't) is appealing to me. If you've got a better method of fighting 8-10 frosts I'm all ears but just never seems like you get an opening to deal damage, also it's not like you can do a fluid melee combo with Lady in the first place. The character is very strange in the context of DMC and Character Action Games as a whole in that she's basically a monster at ranged but relatively tame up close, like you can crowd control with shotgun stingers and so forth but you can't just unleash a guaranteed kill combo or anything as you may with any other character. Nero's Snatch is also way better than her grapple, though that shouldn't be surprising since Nero is the most overpowered character ever. However his levels were kind of designed with that in mind so not having it is a bit of an issue. The frog demon guy awaits, a boss that I routinely beat in 15 seconds 5 years ago so it'll be interesting to have a character that's not capable of doing that realistically.

I await the Dante fight with trepidation, though I imagine the magnificent Credo fight won't be so magnificent with Lady.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

OP Updated with more stuffs (wrote the first part quickly at work, apologies)

Something about this game looks nice, not really sure what. I don't recall finding it particularly visually impressive when I originally played it (alongside Uncharted 2 and AC2) except for a few parts.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I love DMC 4, but dammit... now it's stuck 3rd in line behind Witcher and Batman.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might pick up the new version once it goes on sale. I don't think I'll rebuy it at the current price.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm curious how it will sell, although there isn't a reliable way to check that info.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By musubi

I'm going to work my way up and just start with vanilla Devil Hunter mode Nero/Dante. Need to work the rust off and it'll also be nice to just enjoy the story again. Then we start grinding and really getting into fighting shape for DMD and other shenanigans.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fredchuckdave

We finally have an answer to the age old question: Who would win in a fight: A Blitz or an Infinite Number of any other enemy in the game. The answer should have been obvious all along of course, fucking Blitzes.

Loading Video...

So yeah this game is pretty damn rad, helps that I haven't played it in at least 3 or 4 years I suppose. Fun Fact: I bought this game before I ever bought a PS3; then once I got a PS3 I didn't play it until after like 8 other games!

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Played about a third of Vergil's campaign so far and having a blast. He's pretty similar (but not identical) to his DMC3:SE incarnation, so it's been pretty easy to learn his playstyle. Even with only some of his moves unlocked he feels extremely powerful, and his summoned sword teleporting gimmick is really cool and makes a lot of sense combined with the concentration mechanic. Really interested to try out Lady and Trish as well but I'm saving them for after I've finished Vergil. Aside from that the only things I can really say is the quicker sprint ability is nice, and the tweaks they made to the Proud Souls rate finally makes the abilities feel like they're coming at a reasonable rate. So glad I won't have to play as unupgraded Nero for the third time since I'll have a bunch of Proud Souls from playing the other campaigns.

Also if you have a PC I'd recommend getting that version, as it's apparently the only platform with anti-aliasing. I've seen people complaining that it doesn't run as well as the old version since they did make some graphical tweaks, so try to find some benchmark results from people with similar hardware to yours. I'm on a 970 though so I've had no problem maxing everything out at 1080p60.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Can I jump straight into the other characters? And turbo mode, more enemies, etc.?

I beat the game 6 times, I wanna get straight to the extras.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@csl316: Yep as far as other characters/LDK goes, I think you might have to beat the game once to unlock Bloody Palace but could be wrong. Pretty sure Turbo Mode is just in the options or something. Other difficulties follow the standard unlocking pattern.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Oh my god I'm so motivated. This game is so good. The time has come and so have I.

No Caption Provided

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I bought this game twice years ago, once on consoles and once on PCs.

I think i'll hold of until i get a good sale of it and i'll pretend that i have bought a dlc.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I never actually finished the game when I played it on 360, so I'm doing a straight run with Nero/Dante right now (reminding myself: "Oh right, Nero's stupid devil arm is really useful). I've at least messed around with the other characters though. I didn't quite get a handle on how Lady plays, but I'm really digging what they did with Vergil. He still has all of his crazy phantom sword/teleport shenanigans but seems to have a more varied moveset this time around. Also the concentration gauge gimmick is super neat.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So... I LOVED DMC3 and the newest DMC game. Didn't care for 1 or 2, never played 4. This worth picking up? I know some people love it, but I also hear a lot of "eh" surrounding it.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johncallahan: Definitely get it!!

Combat is BETTER than DMC3. What's worse is the story and the fact that the entire second half of the game is a retread due to the devs having limited time I think? They didn't get to do what they wanted to with the second half of the game but...I'll just say it's not exactly the same as the first half. I won't spoil why. It'll be a treat for you if you don't know what happens.

I think if you love DMC3 there's no reason why you should pass this one up especially since there's 3 more characters to play as. Craziest DMC package yet and well worth it at the price. You won't regret it.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n: Ditto here. I've found DMC4 to be incredibly repetitive(having to do the same levels on your way back and shit). My opinion is that the remastered version is for diehard fans and for cashgrabbing.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n: Its by far my favorite of the original series. The combat is really solid. A lot of the cut scenes are faaaaantastic. I SSS Ranked every mission of every difficulty on 360 I loved it so much. The repeated level stuff wasn't an issue at all for me. I think people make way to big a deal about that tbh.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've made the best game in the series a whole lot better. Loving it so far. Had a play around with Nero, Vergil and Lady and they're all a blast. They all need some control switching however, that default scheme is awful for all of the characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raspharus: cashgrabbing and capitalizing on the #notmydante crowd from DmC.

Personally i found this game very meh and hated how they handled the second half.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vergil's playthrough confirms what fans have suspected about him since Vanilla DMC4's release.

Vergil's playthrough is a decades prior part canon (the opening and the ending)/part what if? scenario (arriving at the setting of DMC4, fighting through the DMC4 enemies, the Order of the Sword) set just before DMC3, Vergil is still dead during DMC4 and his soul still attaches itself to Nero's arm just before DMC4's beginning, creating the devil bringer arm.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Dante is really fun with Lady, doesn't seem to be quite as impenetrable to hit without snatching so that's nice. Credo is weird with no melee attacks, Angelo Angus is still a joke, Sanctus is mildly difficult even though he's trivial with Nero.

Loading Video...

It does seem like you can actually land hits in neutral which is nice, but he's still pretty brutal so it doesn't feel like the fight is trivialized or anything, just entirely different from fighting him with Nero.

A big issue the game has at least with Lady is that running glitches out and you walk half the time even if you don't move the stick at all from a forward position, basically have to rocket jump everywhere which is fine but a tad annoying. Edit: This is a problem with my controller not the game.

Sanctus also clipped through the floor while I was fighting him (after he broke out of a bubble, he eventually came back) so apparently it's not perfect.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Did not expect lady to be so fun, and Trish is just so stupid easy and flashy

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousbearmauling: Lady is better at fighting 40 enemies, Trish is better at fighting 1-8 or so, though there's some enemies she sucks against.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capcom has been straight up killing it with these remastered releases. Every single one has been top notch, and this is no different. It's the ideal version of the game, and makes it probably the second best of the series(with DmC still taking the title for me).

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So is the second half of the game still a mess?

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@immortalsaiyan: Is it still a cop out? Yes, nothing has changed in that department.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@johncallahan: DMC4 is kind of terrible. The gameplay is fantastic but virtually every other aspect of the game is blemished in some way. Besides the infamous backtracking, the platforming is awful, the level design is confusing, the camera can get real wonky and the music is repetitive and kind of sad. I played the game about 5 times back in the day and know every single inch of it back to front. There's just not enough content and only a fraction of that content is any good. Yes, good gameplay is its own reward (it was for me at the time), but it isn't enough to save DMC4; even if it has the best incarnation of classic Dante in a DMC game.

That being said, the Virgil and Lady/Trish stuff seems really great, so there is a case to be made for superfans of DMC4 to buy this edition.

So is the second half of the game still a mess?

To be honest, the first half isn't that stellar either.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@immortalsaiyan: Is it still a cop out? Yes, nothing has changed in that department.

Hey, I like DMC4 and played through it like 4 times. That don't stop the second half being really poor design.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@immortalsaiyan: I'm not contesting your statement, I'm backing it up; the second half of the game being a mirror of the first half is a lazy cop out that deserves all the heat it got back in 2008.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

I just got to Dante and I was immediately reminded why I stopped playing on 360 all those years ago. Nothing quite as disheartening as finally getting to control the character you wanted to control in the first place, only to go through the exact same levels as the other guy, fighting the same enemies and bosses. I'm still going to play a ton more, because Dante plays differently enough from Nero (not to mention the other 3 characters), but all those complaints of "half a game" ring true once again.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

A big issue the game has at least with Lady is that running glitches out and you walk half the time even if you don't move the stick at all from a forward position, basically have to rocket jump everywhere which is fine but a tad annoying. Sanctus also clipped through the floor while I was fighting him (after he broke out of a bubble, he eventually came back) so apparently it's not perfect.

What platform and controller are you using? I haven't had any problem with the movement on the PC version. (Using a 360 controller)

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@TechnoSyndrome: Playing on PS4 with a PS4 controller naturally.

Edit: It's definitely just my controller actually, weird. It's kind of interesting how few games it directly impacts, but in DMC it's literally all stick movement with no sprint button or anything so it's much more apparent. I can't do one of the secret missions now, alas. It works fine in Ground Zeroes, Bloodborne, the Witcher 3 etc, just occasionally the movement looks odd. Of course in combat it rarely matters and it seems to be really easy to get S ranks so not a huge deal.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Trish appears to be "Better Dante" in the same sense that Nero is "Better Dante," though she feels more like Dante and less like Kratos. It's interesting to see how her totally balanced moves interact with various opponents, preventing the Savior from ever getting off an attack with lightning trails for instance. Of course good luck fighting 4 Fausts at once with a character that doesn't have Snatch or a Shotgun. They took the big fight from the middle of Mission 17 and multiplied it by 5 so that's nice:

Loading Video...

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Donguri's first SE video. It's still crazy to me how fast that guy switches styles. Like god dayum.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@altairre: Trickstuh! When I play Dante I'm constantly switching styles because it sounds hilarious.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@altairre: Trickstuh! When I play Dante I'm constantly switching styles because it sounds hilarious.

Sure but to use it effectively like that is nuts. I played a lot of DMC4 but this is on a completely different level.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@altairre: I don't think every single switch is mandatory or anything, except for maybe the perpetual air juggle. Edit: The Agnus fight looked fairly optimal until right near the end.

I wonder if he'll make a Lady video, as it seems like the most interesting thing you can do with her is perpetual shotgun cancels, which is mildly difficult but not comically impossible.

Credo is so much better than all the other bosses except Dante, it's silly.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I played some Vergil a few days ago and I'm just not feeling it, Trish/Lady/Nero feel like modern characters that have CC abilities and so on that adjust reasonably well for the still generally terrible camera; but Dante/Vergil just don't. I respect that the skill ceiling for those characters is ridiculously high and I'm sure I could get pretty far up there but the characters feel like they're from 2001 and I'm used to Bayonetta which is just so unbelievably superior. This is roughly the same issue I had when I first played the game, Nero is just an immaculate God when played at a halfway decent skill level and Dante is mediocre at best. What's worse is I only want to play LDK now and to do that with Vergil it's just going to be a shitload of stingers. I'll write some more about this later in the spirit of my old review but to give you an example the optimal way to play Vergil is to essentially never stop pressing the summoned swords button ever, so to play it perfectly without a turbo controller you have to press it roughly 200,000 times over the course of a playthrough. What's worse is I absolutely love Beowulf, probably the best character action game weapon ever and you just can't really use it effectively except against bosses and singular enemies.

Meanwhile a failed SSS heartbreaker:

Loading Video...

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Vergil is a straight beast...legendary dark knight mode is amazing.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I think Lady's pretty good guys:

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Also holy shit does doing the Bloody Palace make my wrist hurt. I guess constantly mashing for 1-2 hours isn't good. Maybe that means I'm officially no longer a masher in fighting games since I don't seem to have any issues there? Even in Xrd that I suck at playing MOM for like 5-6 hours didn't make my arm tired or anything. If you've never cleared the Bloody Palace before Lady is a fairly easy character to do it with, the double blitzes are still the hardest naturally but I don't think it's all that bad at least with her (2/3 success rate on that wave thus far). Trish is supposed to be the supreme struggle if you don't just abuse the laser but I'll have to take a couple of weeks off at this rate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.