Devil May Cry HD Collection

#1 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (383 posts) -

sooooo, i guess this has been out since wednesday? thats cool. i wanna pick it up but i'll have to wait a bit til i get paid. and i'll also be skipping the second game in that collection because lets face it, it is fucking terrible.

Are any of you guys gonna grab a copy?

#2 Posted by Ketchupp (672 posts) -

Nope.

#3 Posted by Sackmanjones (4705 posts) -

I enjoyed those games in the day but I just have a feeling they haven't aged well. That is a total guess but it's what I think. Also I'd only want 3 so if they sold it separate i may grab that

#4 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

I haven't ever played any of them, so I do plan on picking up the collection and the fourth on PC after I beat the first three.

#5 Posted by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

No, I'm good. Also, not off topic.

#6 Posted by LiquidPrince (15949 posts) -

Yeah, gonna pick it up for sure.

#7 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2298 posts) -

I already got the collection backmon the ps2. But i will get it again when the price drops down just for DMC 3.

#8 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I finished DMC3 on an emulator last year and it looked much better than the HD collection version, admittedly I can only judge from the trailers.

Some of the HD collections are pointless because I can just go and buy the game dirt cheap on the PS2 and then emulate them better.

I guess if you don't have a half decent PC capable of emulation your choices are PS2 or slightly better looking port.

#9 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

I won't be getting it, don't buy any HD collections but even if I did, this wouldn't be one of them. The games are still great but in a post Bayonetta world I really wouldn't be interested in playing them again.

#10 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3153 posts) -

Never played Devil May Cry or really any games like it. Should I start with those?

#11 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I already own and played all the games on ps3, but I may pick it up when it drops in price.

#12 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3153 posts) -

What's so bad about the second one?

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

Been playing this today. Good stuff. The menus being the original menus aren't really that bothersome. Great stuff so far. Just be warned people with headphones...this game is LOUD and there are NO volume options in the games so crank that volume knob down before you turn the game on.

#14 Posted by TobbRobb (4649 posts) -

@birdflu777: It's not fun.

#15 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3153 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

@birdflu777: It's not fun.

Any other reason?

#16 Posted by WileyS (106 posts) -

I really loved both 1 and 3 and might pick it up just to play DMC3 again.

#17 Posted by TobbRobb (4649 posts) -

@birdflu777: Isn't that enough?

If you want specifics, I can mention that the bosses are high health, low tactics slugfests, where you are just standing still blasting them.

It's not remotely as hard as the other two.

The story is even dumber than the rest, but it actually takes itself seriously and goes for a serious tone.

ITS NOT FUN!

#18 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3153 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

If you want specifics, I can mention that the bosses are high health, low tactics slugfests, where you are just standing still blasting them.

The story is even dumber than the rest, but it actually takes itself seriously and goes for a serious tone.

ITS NOT FUN!

That's what I was looking for. Thanks. :)

#19 Posted by FLStyle (4701 posts) -

@birdflu777 said:

@TobbRobb said:

ITS NOT FUN!

That's what I was looking for. Thanks. :)

I believe it was also infamous for somehow looking worse than DMC1.

#20 Posted by TobbRobb (4649 posts) -

@FLStyle: I can't say for sure, but I think I remember that they increased the detail on everything, but that just made it look like ass on that low resolution. And they tried a more goth and dark artstyle, instead of the bit more cartoony style in 1. It just wasn't as appealing.

#21 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

DMC3 was great. I haven't played much of the first game but DMC2 was a real stinker.

I'd say it's worth it for DMC3 alone, though. I kinda wanna get it myself, but...money is an issue as always.

#22 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

In dmc2 they managed to make a game where you beat up zombie tanks and helicopters. Then have a boss fight against a skyscraper.

AND STILL MANAGED TO MAKE IT A BAD GAME

#23 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (383 posts) -

yea, im not sure what happend qith dmc2. it was such a far fall from the amazing first one

#24 Posted by jakob187 (21671 posts) -

You know, it's funny - I remember liking DMC2 just fine and never understood the hate for it.

#25 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I think this collection looks really good. Much better than any emulator videos I have seen.

#26 Posted by EuanDewar (4925 posts) -

Once again @dudeglove

#27 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

DMC2 is not THAT bad...

#28 Edited by killacam (1284 posts) -

@birdflu777 said:

Never played Devil May Cry or really any games like it. Should I start with those?

nah, just play god of war. or, as most would be quick to mention, bayonetta.. but i prefer the greek mythology setting and general atmosphere of the GoW series. DMC games are relatively difficult.

#29 Posted by dudeglove (7852 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

Once again @dudeglove

OH DEAR GOD YES

#30 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@evanbower any chance of me being able to get that copy of DMC3 in some distant future? i was so close to finishing it..

#31 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

I probably will.... Loved to play 3 again and I'll give 1 and 2 another visit i guess

#32 Posted by evanbower (1211 posts) -

@killacam said:

@evanbower any chance of me being able to get that copy of DMC3 in some distant future? i was so close to finishing it..

Don't ask me, ask her-- (I hope you remember this)

#33 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@evanbower said:

@killacam said:

oh my god... that movie cost me everything. what was it, even, evan? i guess i'll just have to support half-ass HD collections, then

#34 Posted by evanbower (1211 posts) -

@killacam said:

@evanbower said:

@killacam said:

oh my god... that movie cost me everything. what was it, even, evan? i guess i'll just have to support half-ass HD collections, then

The wager was that the old woman in the episode of Hannah Montana we were watching was played by the very same old woman from Wedding Crashers. You said it couldn't be her, no way. And it cost you a slightly better than average character-action game!

#35 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

There's never been any DMC coverage on this site. I'd love a quick look of this, if only to find out what the guys think of the series.

#36 Posted by CounterShock (420 posts) -

I've been thinking of picking this up, but I don't know if I could play DMC in a post-Bayonetta world. Anyways, is there any inherent differences between the 360 and PS3 versions?

#37 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

Curious from anyone who has picked this up how well 1 and 2 play still..... 3 I know i'll wanna play again, just not sure how much 1 and 2 have aged

#38 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

@CounterShock said:

I've been thinking of picking this up, but I don't know if I could play DMC in a post-Bayonetta world. Anyways, is there any inherent differences between the 360 and PS3 versions?

Performance wise, both are buttery smooth.

#39 Posted by Sackmanjones (4705 posts) -
@jakob187

You know, it's funny - I remember liking DMC2 just fine and never understood the hate for it.

Me too. It was a different setting. But shooting dudes while y feet were straight in the air as I was looking down was fuckin sick
#40 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

I picked it up. It's cool that it has 99 achievements like the Orange Box had back in the day. Never got around to playing DMC3 so I am looking forward to that too.

#41 Posted by RebornLS (29 posts) -

@birdflu777: yes, it dumbs down the formula,makes it easier. Not in a good way. The attacks(both yours and enemies) are more varied but the incintive to pay attention to them is reduced. Its mashy in a dynasty warrior way.

#42 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (383 posts) -

#43 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

@BlatantNinja23 said:

Curious from anyone who has picked this up how well 1 and 2 play still..... 3 I know i'll wanna play again, just not sure how much 1 and 2 have aged

(In reference to the original DMC on the Xbox 360 version) Controls, unsurprisingly, feel dated, and the cutscenes not running on the in-game engine look compressed and are of shitty quality. The fixed camera angles are annoying as hell for the first half hour or so but you get used too it. The good thing about this game being dated is that it does a lot of crazy shit few developers are willing to do these days- OH FUCK UNDERWATER ENEMY SKULLS AND LAVA SPIDERS. The combat is still easy to enjoy, and can be quite the challenge at times. As far as visuals are concerned, the games runs smoothly, and I haven't noticed any in-game dips in frame rate. So, all told, this is a fine collection to get if you're looking to re-play the original, but seeing as how I haven't played 2 or 3 yet, I can't say for sure whether or not those are any good. Having said that, it's hard to imagine that those could be of lower quality as they are more modern games than the original, and are bound to, at the very least, have the same quality.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.