Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Devil May Cry HD Collection

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 22, 2012

HD remasters of the first three Devil May Cry games, released this time for PS3 and Xbox 360.

Does this spell trouble?

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Questionable

Capcom just broke its own street date and released this game one week early. Now the only reason i can think of for possibly doing this is getting it on the store shelves before reviewers can inform the public.

There are no impressions out yet so it can be anywhere between Sly cooper and Silent Hill quality. I was just waiting for a excuse to replay DMC3 again but this news is giving me a really bad vibe

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

Or maybe it was just in a weird limbo like Ridge Racer Unbounded since it was the end of the quarter and all.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TentPole

This compilation is a mixed bag. The in-game graphical update is fantastic. All 3 games look really great and run as smooth as butter. That being said menus were not updated and appear in their original ratio, not 16:9. It is bizarre. Also the pre-rendered cutscenes look like shit but if you have played any other HD collection you know to expect that.

Overall it is a really well done collection that looks great when you are actually playing it but has some taken some weird and lazy shortcuts on the peripherals. It is much better than Silent HIll and a step up from the Resident Evil updates but not quite as good as MGS or Ico/Shadow.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Questionable

@TentPole:

That souds promising. Do you know if the DMC3 game also contains the option to increase the speed by 20%? (This was only available in the NTSC version)

I can live with menus looking a bit bad but what about the in-game hud (life bar\style meter etc)? I could see that somewhat hampering gameplay if they did not update that

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox

If they're not going to completely redesign the menus, then leaving them in their original aspect ratio is the correct move. I'd rather have empty sides of the screen than stretched content.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TentPole

@Questionable: Yes, you can turn turbo on in the options.

@MrKlorox: The correct move is to update and reformat the menus so they don't look like shit compared to the rest of the game. They are cheap and crappy. But, once again when you are actually playing the game it looks and runs very good with zero complaints from me.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrKlorox
    @TentPole: Fine, then it's the "correct compromise". Of course the optimal route would be to redesign the menus to fit the resolution and aspect ratio. But with more and more HD collections merely being quick and dirty cash-ins, it's becoming less and less realistic to expect that to happen. And when they're doing it to current generation games next-gen, I'd be amazed if a single one did that since everything's going to fit the screen already.
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Sooperspy

Gamefly is sending it and this'll basically be the first time I play these games. I played a bit of 3 when it came out, and I did finish 4. I shouldn't play DMC 2 though, right? Thats the horrible one, right?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Redbullet685 I actually didn't mind 2. For some reason I kinda did enjoy it but for most people they'd say skip it. It just has a totally different setting and weird vibe to it. Anyway 1 and 3 are awesome and I haven't even eaten 3 before
    Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TentPole said:

@Questionable: Yes, you can turn turbo on in the options.

@MrKlorox: The correct move is to update and reformat the menus so they don't look like shit compared to the rest of the game. They are cheap and crappy. But, once again when you are actually playing the game it looks and runs very good with zero complaints from me.

A lot of the menus used pre-rendered video, at least in the first DMC, so I assume they didn't want to remodel it all, or couldn't budget wise.

I think it's somewhat apparent that Capcom either didn't want to spend a lot of money, or that the source material Foundation 9 Entertainment had wasn't that great. I think the only thing else I would have liked out of this game is some anti aliasing. Aliasing is pretty prevalent and there's no reason they couldn't have added it (even 2x), unless there were issues with the engine.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Questionable

@MrKlorox said:

@TentPole: And when they're doing it to current generation games next-gen, I'd be amazed if a single one did that since everything's going to fit the screen already.

I doubt they will continue the remakes, atleast they wont e adding PS3 games to the lineup.

• it would be substantially more expensive to update a current gen title for marginal gain.
    • The problem with PS2 titles is that they only output a SD signal this means they actually look worse on a HD tv than they would have on your old tv.
    • The Ps2 had allot more 3d party franchises that were "iconic" to their respective genre. The only thing worth repackaging from this gen would be a Halo/uncharted bundle.
    Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HD collections always spell trouble.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Quarters

Played some of DMC3 last night. It's totally fine. Like others have said the prerendered looks sketchy, but the actual in game graphics are super sharp. Guess they just broke the street date because nothing else was really happening that week, and the game was totally ready and in retailers hands. Kind of a nice surprise, more than anything.

Also, I actually really love DMC2. It's a bit different, but once you kind of see the anime and stuff, you realize that Dante isn't out of character at all in it. Plus, the story's not bad if you actually play through as both characters. It gets way too much crap.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Questionable

@James_Giant_Peach said:

HD collections always spell trouble.

Please clarify.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TentPole

2 is a definite step down from the rest of the series, but I do not personally think it is an actually bad game.

BleedingStarX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By BleedingStarX

Game is due on Tuesday here, and Tuesday is when its coming out...

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By vitor

@TentPole said:

2 is a definite step down from the rest of the series, but I do not personally think it is an actually bad game.

It starts off strong for both characters but the further you get into it, the less I was interested. Bosses aren't well designed (or visually interesting) and the locales also take a turn for the cliche (oil refinery anyone?).

First few levels are pretty awesome though, especially with Dante's new acrobatic skills. Game takes a turn for the worse soon after. It's not bad, but it's not good.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Questionable
    I don't see why it would be much more expensive to do the same thing to current gen games in the next generation. Is bumping up the resolution to 1080p and possibly spitting out higher res versions of the textures (which probably already exist) for a game designed for 720p realistically going to require a lot more work if they continue with this lazy as shit pattern? How is that? The gap between 480i and 720p is greater than the gap between 720p and 1080p, and it would require many fewer tweaks and compromises.
    AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By AngelN7

This and the Team Ico collection are the only HD ports I'm interested in but Devil May Cry 4 has so many improvements over 3 that I don't know if nostalgia for that game would be enough to pick it up some day , 3 was awesome because it was fast as hell the music was good and the weapons were cool to use, but DMC4 Dante was to me much more better than DMC3 Dante , but there's also the whole "backtrack" story that's really not that great compared to 3 so.... Hmm.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Questionable

@AngelN7 said:

This and the Team Ico collection are the only HD ports I'm interested in but Devil May Cry 4 has so many improvements over 3 that I don't know if nostalgia for that game would be enough to pick it up some day , 3 was awesome because it was fast as hell the music was good and the weapons were cool to use, but DMC4 Dante was to me much more better than DMC3 Dante , but there's also the whole "backtrack" story that's really not that great compared to 3 so.... Hmm.

Well one game forces you to backtrack to play the character you want and the other allows you to play trough the entire campaign with the character you want.

DMC3 was a much larger game i believe, sure areas were not as varied but there were TONS levels

Also there is the whole Nero vs Vergil thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.