Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Devil May Cry HD Collection

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 22, 2012

HD remasters of the first three Devil May Cry games, released this time for PS3 and Xbox 360.

Hey! Apparently you guys like Devil May Cry. Is this any good?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By toowalrus

So! I'm definitely going to play the new DmC. I'm playing the PC version though, so I've got like ten days before I can play. Anyway, simple question, did this HD collection turn out successful (like the Shadow of the Colossus or God of War) or is it failure like Silent Hill? Should I pick up a copy of the PS3 collection on Amazon Prime, or go down to the "Game Traiders" and dig out a copy of DmC 1 or 3 for PS2? I'm asking because I don't really have anything I feel like playing right now, and I like having some context when I play reboots.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Cyrus_Saren

The HD collection of this is pretty good, I thought. The only thing is they didn't fully "HD" everything -- The menus and some of the cutscenes weren't upgraded so it can be a little jarring but, other than that, it's pretty good.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By phrali

play the originals in sd. Youll get used to the old school graphics and then when you play the new one you will crap your pants

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By toowalrus

@phrali said:

play the originals in sd. Youll get used to the old school graphics and then when you play the new one you will crap your pants

Well I'm pretty good at putting old graphics and gameplay aside and taking games in context. Hell, SMT Nocturne is NOT easy to play for the first time in 2012.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By fox01313

It's probably a mix of nothing bad & nothing awesome, just go after 1-3 on the PS2 as it's probably cheaper to find if you like it or not.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By toowalrus

@fox01313: Not really, the HD collection is like $15 on Amazon Prime.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Raven10

I'm not sure how well these games hold up. 3 I'm sure is just fine today. 2 sucked even when it came out and I can't imagine anyone enjoying it even remotely today. 1 was pretty revolutionary when it came out and was certainly fun, but you have to enjoy the classic Capcom gameplay structure. It's all about finding strange objects to open a door to get an object that will open another door and so forth. It was originally meant to be a Resident Evil game and it shows in its structure. I'm sure the combat is still fun but you will have to get over everything else being really dated. Point is, play them if you want but don't expect any but 3 to be fully enjoyable.

Avatar image for fire_of_the_wind
    Fire_Of_The_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fire_Of_The_Wind

When the DmC demo first came out I played through it a few times and the combat felt off, having not played the older ones in a long time I just had to get the HD collection and see the difference. I'm happy that I did, thanks DmC.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By I_smell

I think if you've not played these games before then you should get DMC 4. The art is still awesome today, and you get to play as Nero (way easier to use) AND Dante (mad-complex list of weapons, guns and styles).

The FIRST game I think is way back in the dust of the later ones, cos it doesn't have as much expression in what you can do, not as many combos and abilities, bosses and enemies aren't as capable or interesting, etc etc. I think you can skip the first two, and if you wanna keep up with all the games coming out in February, I say just hop straight to 4. I've played like a hundred hours of 4, it's my favourite one.

Unless you're just asking like "how good of a HD re-release is it" in which case I dunno.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GabrielCantor

I got this from Amazon for cheap recently as well, and I'd say it's fine. I should add that I've only actually played 3 in this collection, but that held up great and was still tons of fun, so there's that. No weird HD collection-specific glitches or anything as far I could tell either.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I say to just play 3 or 4. I never got far into 1 because of how different of a game it is. 2 I hear is garbage by any standard.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ducksworth

Since everyone is recommending you skip the first two I should mention that Devil May Cry 3 and 4 are both available on Steam ($20 each or $30 for both). Since you're planning on playing DmC on the PC you can play 3 and 4 on your PC and still have the HD-ness.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By vitor

@Ducksworth said:

Since everyone is recommending you skip the first two I should mention that Devil May Cry 3 and 4 are both available on Steam ($20 each or $30 for both). Since you're planning on playing DmC on the PC you can play 3 and 4 on your PC and still have the HD-ness.

I don't think you should skip the first. It's almost a totally different type of game but it's still a classic in its own right.

Definitely skip 2 though. That game wasn't good even when it came out. I sincerely doubt it's aged well at all.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By toowalrus

High quality Sony SDTV? Check.

PS2 Component cables? Check.

$3 copies of Devil May Cry 1 & 3 from the local game shop "Game On?" Check.

Let's do this.

Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Xel

@Ducksworth said:

DO NOT get DMC3 on pc, the controller support is beyond broken

The HD collection is the best way to get into the ps2 DMC games, so if you want to play them, get it.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Winternet

When did Giant Bomb become the #1 place for the world of Devil May Cry?

In the homepage, it should read "We're into Devil May Cry, the Devil May Cry franchise, and Devil May Cry fans like you."

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By toowalrus

@Winternet: Hey, who else am I gonna ask? The Capcom forums? Ha. No, I trust (some of) you guys. Anyway, I'm playing DmC1 on PS2 right now as I wait for the PC version of the new game to come out, so this topic can be locked or left to die.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By JJOR64

@Cyrus_Saren said:

The HD collection of this is pretty good, I thought. The only thing is they didn't fully "HD" everything -- The menus and some of the cutscenes weren't upgraded so it can be a little jarring but, other than that, it's pretty good.

That's what I heard. Other then that though, they are good versions of the game from what I heard.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By UlquioKani

It's good you are playing them chronologically. I did the opposite and Dmc1 moves so slowly compared to 3.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By Sackmanjones

I...... didn't think 2 was THAT bad..... It doesn't touch 1 or 3 (wasn't a fan of 4) but still. It's just aggressively mediocre....... Just wanted to say that.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By BigBoss1911

1 and 3 are great games, just pretend 2 isnt there.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By colourful_hippie

@Winternet said:

When did Giant Bomb become the #1 place for the world of Devil May Cry?

In the homepage, it should read "We're into Devil May Cry, the Devil May Cry franchise, and Devil May Cry fans like you."

cuz there hasn't been any bigger releases out for a while now and DMC just came out. It also helped that the shitstorm of people wanting it to be bad cuz of the changes is still ongoing.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By musubi

@TooWalrus: Yeah Id say pick it up its a fun trilogy and its done pretty well.

Aronleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Aronleon

I say Go 3 and 4, you could try 1 for completion sake but it does feel a little old at this point, and the combat is a little slow, 3 has the best combat of the original series and 4 is just really fun to play, ignore 2 unless you really want to see what happens when someone decides to take a cash in game.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BlatantNinja23

I found 1 and 2 were unplayable, but still worth it to go back to 3.

LotusPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LotusPrince

1, 3 and 4 are full of fun. Complex yes. Great definitely. Don't play 2. Or do and form your own opinion. I can't in good faith recommend it to you though.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

If you're looking for a definitive release with extras on par with something like ico/sotc release your not going to get it from the DMC HD trilogy release. If your just looking to play the first three games cause you haven't tried it before, then yes grab it. You can usually grab it for at least under 20 around the interwebs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.