So, how about that DMC2, eh?

• 51 results
#51 Posted by Sauson (561 posts) -

I have DMC, DMC2, and DMC3 for the PS2 and I was going to play them back to back because I had them for years but never finished them but the whole idea came to a screeching halt when I got half through playing Dante's story. Holy shit dude, not only is it just completely bland and boring but it's riddled with bad game design. I should probably get around to playing DMC3...

#52 Posted by DantronLesotho (48 posts) -

I was unemployed for 7 months a couple years ago and I STILL couldn't play all the way through DMC 2 because it was THAT boring.

#53 Posted by Yummylee (22498 posts) -

@JackSukeru said:

Anyhow one of the metrics I use to decide if a game is poor or not is if I, at any time whilst playing it, fell through the geometry in a way I wasn't supposed to. This happened in my second playthrough of DMC2 and it's probably my favorite thing I took away from the experience.

There's this part where you're given 2 or 3 minutes do defeat a bunch of enemies in order to remove a barrier blocking a hole in the ground that you are supposed to jump through to finish the mission. After barely failing a few times I was getting frustrated. I started the timer again but this time, about 30 seconds in, as I did a drop attack on an enemy I clipped through the floor. The game didn't stop, the timer didn't stop, I was just able to walk around on some unknown space a few meters below the actual floor. After sighing and thinking that I would have to reset the game and restart the entire mission I suddenly had an idea. I walked beneath the floor to where the barrier blocking the hole was, the barrier formed a circle around the hole but didn't seem to reach beneath the floor where I was. So I moved beneath where the hole was and double jumped..

Mission complete.

#gamedesign

@spankingaddict said:

It's not as bad as it seems . It's OK .

No, I'd say it's just as bad as people have always made to believe.

@Quarters: It was an observation on how you tend to enjoy a great deal of games that I consider to be flaming turds. I've actually found it to be sort of novel in how consistent your taste has clashed with my own.

@Sauson said:

I have DMC, DMC2, and DMC3 for the PS2 and I was going to play them back to back because I had them for years but never finished them but the whole idea came to a screeching halt when I got half through playing Dante's story. Holy shit dude, not only is it just completely bland and boring but it's riddled with bad game design. I should probably get around to playing DMC3...

That you should! The stark drop in quality between the first two games makes an equally sobering rise with the jump to DMC3. Still highly regarded as the best of the bunch and with good reason.

@DantronLesotho said:

I was unemployed for 7 months a couple years ago and I STILL couldn't play all the way through DMC 2 because it was THAT boring.

Simply daydreaming about playing DMC3 would be more engaging than playing DMC2 no doubt :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.