So, whos buying next week?

#1 Posted by Demoskinos (15107 posts) -

Depending, I think I might pick this up on PS3. Coming off Ninja Gaiden 3 I'm in a bit of a character action mood. Never beat DMC 1 or Dmc 2 so hope to see what they are all about.

#2 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I would buy the shit out of it if I had money. As soon as I can afford to put money down on games, I'll buy it.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (19051 posts) -

This is out next week? Shit. I played the fuck out of DMC 3 on PS2. Maybe I will get it at a later date.

#4 Posted by MikkaQ (10335 posts) -

Those aren't games I feel like revisiting, really. There's a lot of frustrating moments, and I remember the camera being a pain in the ass.

#5 Posted by bartok (2574 posts) -

An HD Port of DMC 2?  I guess you can polish a turd.  Since I have played and beat all four DMC games my purchase will depend on the extras.

#6 Posted by Spoonman671 (4751 posts) -

Nah, I've got a decent backlog to complete before I buy and replay a game I've played a dozen or so times already.

#7 Posted by GunstarRed (5401 posts) -

If I didn't have so many other things to finish I'd buy this in a heartbeat. I wonder how badly these games have aged. I have really fond memories of them... well not DMC2 obviously.

#8 Posted by RE_Player1 (7574 posts) -

I'll pick it up when it drops in price. These collections usually drop in price fast. Yesterday I picked up that Prince of Persia HD Collection on PS3 for $20.

#9 Posted by amir90 (2178 posts) -

Well now I am broke, so YES

#10 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Is DMC3 on it? Aww yeah it is. I'm in.

#11 Posted by VierasTalo (912 posts) -

I had no idea this was coming out. I'll get it eventually, but like many others, will wait for the price to drop as anything containing DMC2 is not worth as much money as is originally asked.

#12 Posted by benspyda (2043 posts) -

I played through DMC3 a number of times but not the other 2. I have fond memories for 3 but not sure if I need to play it again. I still have Peace Walker and MGS2 to get through from the last HD collection I bought.

#13 Posted by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -

Backlogged but i will still buy the crap out of it. We are losing our serious action beat'em up games. So it will be great to play these games again even tho i have it already on ps2 and i played them to death.

#14 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

I'll wait for reviews. The HD collections that been a little hit or miss. I hope it is good, never played DMC2 and I would like to see what that is all about.

#15 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Yep, looking forward to it too.

#16 Posted by RazielCuts (2982 posts) -

Wow I totally forgot this even existed. Have all three on PS2. Devil May Cry 1 + 3 are awesome yet 2 lacks and went shitty but the running up walls and shooting down falling was pretty cool, glad they re used it in 3. Not too sure if its worth a HD remake tbh, Trophies ain't enough.

#17 Edited by Str8_2_Alticity (13 posts) -

I enjoyed both DMC 1 and 3 immensely so this package is tempting. It has been a decade since I've played the first DMC so I wonder if my memories of that game would be tainted by playing it now. I feel like I've been spoiled by newer generation games. A lot of games just don't hold up that well when I go back and play them many years later. Plus, Nintendo 64 through early PS2 era games can look just plain fugly.

Also, it has to be an early nominee for worst box art of the year. Looks like a lazy design.

#18 Posted by vinsanity09 (211 posts) -

You're asking me if I want to buy the best action game  of all time (DMC3) again? Well the answer is yes.

#19 Posted by Buttenator (189 posts) -

I already own multiple copies of the two games on here worth playing and I'll still probably buy this.

#20 Posted by JackSukeru (5950 posts) -

I'm done playing 1 & 2 and I still have a PS2 copy of 3, so nah.

#21 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1547 posts) -

The port is okay, not to the same quality as something like Bluepoint Games puts out though.

All the menus and pre-rendered cutscenes are still 4:3 and in their native PS2 resolutions (with the exception of the cutscenes being widescreen in DMC3), audio from the first two games is kind of low quality and explosions sound somewhat distorted (and there's no brightness and sound options in-game in DMC1 and DMC2, so audio is really loud). The in-game textures seemed to be slightly over sharpened, no AA (this is the heavy hitter, aliasing is highly prevalent), and a couple random frame drops but the game is at a solid 60 FPS for 99% of the time, which is nice. Most of these problems are probably just stemmed from how early the first two games were released last gen.

DMC3 is ultimately fine. I did have a small issue with having to go back to the dashboard to switch up games, not that big of a problem though. Nothing atmosphere wise was omitted from these games like the SH collection and having these games in widescreen is totally awesome. It's surprising how many blue orb spots I remember having not played these games since their release. All in all, it ain't bad, but it's probably not the best it could have been. Admirable effort on Foundation 9 Entertainment's part, but maybe Capcom didn't want to spend as much as Kojima Productions did with MGS: HD collection.

#22 Posted by thehuntsmen5434 (436 posts) -

Yes, gotta add to my HD collection collection lol. Since my Ps2 backwards compatibility system broke :(

#23 Posted by EuanDewar (5094 posts) -

#24 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I might.

#25 Posted by AlexW00d (6389 posts) -

I don't think I could go back to these games after playing Bayonetta. And if I did want to I would just play the copies I already own.

#26 Posted by CornBREDX (5838 posts) -

Idk, I might. I still have 1 and 3 on my PS2 though. 2 is not really worth having.

#27 Posted by BleedingStarX (283 posts) -

ShopTo just processed my payment for my preorder on the game

#28 Posted by TobbRobb (4818 posts) -

I already have them all... And I've been spoiled by Bayonetta.

Still, a little tempted. I guess it depends on what they add to the games or if they add any extras.

#29 Posted by dudeglove (8155 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

OH DEAR GOD YES

#30 Posted by FLStyle (4842 posts) -

I'll play the shit out of 1 and 3.

#31 Posted by Demoskinos (15107 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

The port is okay, not to the same quality as something like Bluepoint Games puts out though.

All the menus and pre-rendered cutscenes are still 4:3 and in their native PS2 resolutions (with the exception of the cutscenes being widescreen in DMC3), audio from the first two games is kind of low quality and explosions sound somewhat distorted (and there's no brightness and sound options in-game in DMC1 and DMC2, so audio is really loud). The in-game textures seemed to be slightly over sharpened, no AA (this is the heavy hitter, aliasing is highly prevalent), and a couple random frame drops but the game is at a solid 60 FPS for 99% of the time, which is nice. Most of these problems are probably just stemmed from how early the first two games were released last gen.

DMC3 is ultimately fine. I did have a small issue with having to go back to the dashboard to switch up games, not that big of a problem though. Nothing atmosphere wise was omitted from these games like the SH collection and having these games in widescreen is totally awesome. It's surprising how many blue orb spots I remember having not played these games since their release. All in all, it ain't bad, but it's probably not the best it could have been. Admirable effort on Foundation 9 Entertainment's part, but maybe Capcom didn't want to spend as much as Kojima Productions did with MGS: HD collection.

Nice write up. Good to know. Slightly a bummer that some of the stuff is still in 4:3 but its only $40 for 3 games so can't really complain about that.

#32 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I bought this yesterday as Capcom has dropped the street date and it is now being sold in the states at all Gamestop and Walmart locations.

The in-game HD update looks really good. A much better job than RE4. It is weird that they did not update the menus though.

#33 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Nah.

#34 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1705 posts) -
@TentPole said:

I bought this yesterday as Capcom has dropped the street date and it is now being sold in the states at all Gamestop and Walmart locations.

The in-game HD update looks really good. A much better job than RE4. It is weird that they did not update the menus though.

Yeah, I saw it on the shelves at Best Buy today as well. Seems like retailers are going ahead and just selling it now.

I think I'm just going to stick to playing my PS2 copies of DMC 1 and 3.
#35 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

*raises hand* Me, me! :D

I really enjoyed DMC 4 and won't miss the chance to get more Dante :]

Well, real Dante, not the one they'll use for DMC 5...

#36 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@beard_of_zeus: Feel free. But they do look significantly better and run at a solid 60 fps to those who are interested.

#37 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (539 posts) -

Planning on it, yeah. Something to tide me over until The Witcher 2 comes out.

#38 Posted by Brodehouse (10106 posts) -

I like everything about Devil May Cry except for the part where I play it.

#39 Posted by PhantomGardener (468 posts) -

I'm gonna buy it. As a guy that has never played an Devil May Cry game before, I'm quite excited for this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.