Do it, Capcom!

• 0 results
#1 Posted by Icemael (6320 posts) -
A fan asked Kamiya on Twitter whether he'd make a new Devil May Cry if offered the chance. He responded by saying "I want to do what all fans want." 

So please, Capcom, for the love of God, get the series the hell away from these Ninja Theory fuckwits and let Kamiya make a sequel. It's best that way for everyone: Kamiya (who wants to do it), the fans (who want him to do it), you (who will get to publish a critically and commercially successful game) and Ninja Theory (who won't have to embarrass themselves and piss off millions of gamers by ruining a great series).
#2 Posted by shadyspace (458 posts) -

I'll bite. What are your major preconceived issues with the new Devil May Cry?

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18992 posts) -

I'm all for Kamiya making a new DMC game.

#4 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

Who's to say this new Devil May Cry is going to be bad? Furthermore, who's to say that Kamiya would be a good steward of a Devil May Cry for the year 2012. 
Only when it comes out deplorable can we say that Ninja Theory was in over its head and that Kamiya would have been better.

#5 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -
@shadyspace said:
" I'll bite. What are your major preconceived issues with the new Devil May Cry? "
You have to understand, it's too different therefore it is shit.  

If it wasn't different enough, it would be a rehash  and therefore shit.   
#6 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
Bayonetta is probably the best third-person action game I've ever played, so in theory I see Kamiya being at the helm as only a good thing. That said, shouldn't this series just die?
#7 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5256 posts) -
@odintal said:
" @shadyspace said:
" I'll bite. What are your major preconceived issues with the new Devil May Cry? "
You have to understand, it's too different therefore it is shit.   If it wasn't different enough, it would be a rehash  and therefore shit.    "
Thank you.
#8 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

The last time Capcom made a DMC game, they made half of a game. Character designs notwithstanding, it was clearly time for someone else to take a crack at it. I hope Ninja Theory is that someone, but we'll see.

#9 Posted by shadyspace (458 posts) -

Also, new Dante smokes and smoking's badass.

#10 Posted by Steve_C (1751 posts) -

Not before Okami, or Viewtiful Joe even. He should just stick to Bayonetta for the action games. Also, I find it ridiculous how people are condemning NT and their whole game from one trailer.

#11 Posted by dudeglove (7850 posts) -

All of this backlash is unwarranted. None of us have any idea of what the game will be like. Cutscenes don't matter a damn.

It could be the best DMC of all time for all we know.

#12 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@shadyspace
Also, new Dante smokes and smoking's badass.
Your sarcasm is not funny. Dante never smokes, Kamiya went out his way in DMC to state this. Dante is too cool to smoke.

On topic, it wouldn't work...Sega would try to get their hands on it too, and Capcom would never allow that.
#13 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3091 posts) -

I almost want Kamiya to stay away from Devil May Cry, if only because Bayonetta was so much more enjoyable than any of the Devil May Cry games were.  I don't want to dilute the chances for the next Bayonetta related game to be awesome by having him work on a DMC game.

#14 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4806 posts) -
@KaosAngel: Oh I see, so because Kamiya has bigoted views on the habits of others, he felt it necessary to try and "speak out" on the subject through his game?  

In all seriousness, Kamiya needs to man up and stop acting all forlorn about DMC. He left Capcom, and is now making real GOTY contenders with Platinum Games. He has Bayonetta under his belt, plus Okami, Viewtiful Joe, and the creation of DMC to his name. This is not somebody who should be acting all butthurt over the fact that a new developer is getting a crack at DMC. 

The original Devil May Cry was fine for its time, but the formula got stale, it got boring, and now nobody gives a toss for DMC except for a few hold-outs who still want to believe DMC2 was a bad dream. Japan doesn't run the games industry anymore, and now that the gaming market has grown exponentially worldwide (while simultaneously shrinking in Japan like Costanza in Seinfeld), Capcom have wisened up and decided to appeal to the broader market. That means a new style, a new look, a new Dante for a new DMC. 
#15 Posted by demonknightinuyasha (466 posts) -

Ninja Theory actually seems pretty good as a developer. If more people bothered to check out Heavenly Sword, people would already know this. Having a game that's only like 5 or 6 hours long, and is an exclusive for a console that was I believe still $500 at the time, unfortunately was just a great way to make sure nobody's heard of the studio, despite the game itself being fantastic.  Hopefully Enslaved does well and that gets their name out there a bit more.  

As far as the trailer, I'm not crazy about the character design, but I'm sure the gameplay itself will be great so I'm looking forward to it regardless. 

#16 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

I played Heavenly Sword, and I also played all the DMC games...even the one that doesn't exist. 

I'd rather play the DMC game that doesn't exist than Heavenly Sword with the fake dante. 

Ninja Theory can't make good games, and it's a shame DMC3 will be the last good DMC game. 

Kamiya must be so proud of this.   
#17 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" I played Heavenly Sword, and I also played all the DMC games...even the one that doesn't exist. 

I'd rather play the DMC game that doesn't exist than Heavenly Sword with the fake dante. 

Ninja Theory can't make good games, and it's a shame DMC3 will be the last good DMC game. 

"

...why?
#18 Posted by Nexas (626 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" I played Heavenly Sword, and I also played all the DMC games...even the one that doesn't exist. 

"
I don't know where you keep getting this Twilight thing from. This new Dante is clearly based off of punk rock. Besides dude was already a frickin white haird pretty boy.
#19 Posted by baron_calamity (240 posts) -

I'm not going to play this game, I didn't play the other DMC, but the art style seems like a vast improvement over the other installments in the series. i just don't get why people are upset beyond "change = bad" meme.
#20 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4806 posts) -
@baron_calamity: I've explained this in almost every thread about this new DMC game. 

Capcom notices sales in Japan have dramatically dipped, while the Western market has grown by leaps and bounds. Capcom decides to tailor their games toward Western aesthetics and designs to appeal to the broader, more profitable market.  

DMC 4 sold like shit on a stick. Nobody bought it save for a few hold-outs who refuse to acknowledge DMC2 exists. The formula got stale, and boring to every gamer who has moved on from DMC.  

Capcom decides to hand DMC5 to a new developer and to just reboot the entire franchise in hopes of luring away lost cattle as well as rounding up more people to play their game. This is bad because the few hold-outs who couldn't make DMC4 profitable feel like they are being abandoned, which they are, because that is an audience that cannot sustain profitability. Seriously, there just are not enough people interested in Hideki Kamiya's style of action. 
#21 Posted by Hector (3364 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

"
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#22 Posted by Rxanadu (508 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

"
Show me how this does not look like Edward, and I'll show you a green dog that speaks three languages fluently.
#23 Posted by Brendan (7809 posts) -

DMC4 sold poorly?  I never knew that.
#24 Edited by Ghostiet (5275 posts) -

I don't mind a new take at the series. Heavenly Sword was nice, it was clearly very rough at the edges, but it was an entertaining, beautifully made game.

Still, the new character design is fucking horrible. Really, bring me the old Dante and get rid of the quasi-industrial music and I'm sold.

#25 Edited by ProfessorEss (7376 posts) -

Not being a huge fan of the franchise I guess this is fairly easy for me to swallow. I'm just always interested when a franchise decides to do something different and I feel like they've made that same DMC game enough times now that maybe it's due for some change.

Much like the whole Infamous thing, I was never really a fan of the original character's design so I'm not all that bothered by the redesign.

#26 Posted by Matiaz_Tapia (268 posts) -

Please get over it. 

Yes, it seems like it's aiming with an audience that you don't identify with. But the old Dante did also, people your age ( back then) thought an androgynous white haired matrix -anime dude was stupid as well.  

Also you're asking Sega to work with Capcom? And that ninja theory should cancel their undergoing project?  All this based on a game you haven't played yet??? 

Not only get over this, but also get over yourself Icemael ( and company).

#27 Posted by JackSukeru (5912 posts) -
@KingWilly said:
" DMC 4 sold like shit on a stick. Nobody bought it save for a few hold-outs who refuse to acknowledge DMC2 exists.   "
I didn't know shit on a stick was getting so popular  http://www.gamespot.com/news/6186309.html
Am I getting out of touch?
#28 Posted by Damodar (1391 posts) -

While I readily admit Heavenly Sword was rather patchy in some pretty obvious ways, I have a special place in my heart for that game. I'm excited for Enslaved too, the demo seemed neat. Like Heavenly Sword, I'll probably end up liking it more for it's design, story, presentation etc than the gameplay. 

So I'm not opposed to them having a crack at a DMC game. I'm a little unsure why Capcom went to them though. They've only released 2 games, as far as I know (KUNG FU CHAOS, HELL YEAH!) and as far as their coding chops, I hear that Sony stepped in and got one of their studios to help out quite a bit with Heavenly Sword and the demo of Enslaved seems pretty damn rough, technically, even though it's just UE3.

As for Kamiya doing it, I don't really care. He's made his DMC, he's done Bayonetta. I rather just have him do his own thing, keep creating. Platinum are having a pretty good run.  

Ultimately, I'm not actually that invested in DMC, so Capcom giving it to a developer who has produced stuff that I really like, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt even if it seems somewhat dubious. Personally, I think it's kinda cool to just see Capcom taking a bit of a risk, both with choice of developer and the tone etc of the game. Now Inafune just needs to give Ono his Darkstalkers game already!

#29 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

He should focus on making a kick-ass Bayonetta 2 instead.

#30 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

Am I the only one worried about gameplay and not just design elements? 

Heavenly Sword was so effing boring, and I fear for the gameplay.

#31 Posted by Hero_Swe (1138 posts) -

I like how people say DMC4 sold bad when it's evidenced to be the opposite.
#32 Posted by xyzygy (9991 posts) -

I fucking cannot stand this moping and bitching. 

I'm glad Ninja Theory is taking the reins, you know why? Because after they're done with it, regardless of the quality, we'll probably just get some more DMC that's the same old game from the same developers. I like change because it keeps games fresh.

#33 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2102 posts) -
@KaosAngel said: 

"

Godammit Kaos, it cannot be unseen now...
#34 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -
#35 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -
@KingWilly: stop pulling numbers out of your ass. You are a fucking moron. 

DMC4 was the best selling DMC
#36 Posted by Lazyaza (2183 posts) -

I liked Heavenly Sword and Enslaved looks awesome so I have faith Ninja Theory can do a decent dmc, but yeah the trailer and especially new dante's character design have me a little worried.

#37 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4806 posts) -
@Jethuty: Your mother was a baker.
#38 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -
@KingWilly: Doesnt help your arguement. Just being a moron and just spounting made up facts just because you want to be right
#39 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11020 posts) -

I just don't like it when things are changed unnecessarily. Sure, the franchise was getting a little stale, but that doesn't mean that they had to go and completely redesign the character, and in the process alienate long time fans.  

To be honest though, I'm not surprised at all, because I haven't liked what Capcom has done with Dante since the first game. I didn't play the second, but in the third they turned him into a wise-ass teenager who got on my nerves for being a wise-ass teenager. He was a little better in DMC4, but I think he was still voiced by the guy who voiced him in DMC3, so he still sounded to young to me.  

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd have rather they went with the opposite approach, and made Dante older, like what happened in Snake in MGS4. There's not even games starring old dudes. 

Moderator Online
#40 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Jethuty: How the fuck did the DMC game that doesn't exist outsell DMC3?!  O_o
#41 Posted by Figcoinc (102 posts) -
@KaosAngel:  I only see sales figures for DMC1, DMC 3, and DMC4.

There are no others on that chart. Right!?

Lets not speak of this again.
#42 Posted by shadyspace (458 posts) -

@KaosAngel said: 

Get out in the world, this is the antithesis of emo/hipster/feminine
WHERE are people getting this Edward shit from? None of you people must know jack from shit who are making this comparision. Edward's a whiny little bitch who refuses to screw a hot chick who over the course of an entire series of books. Maybe you guys watched a different trailer, but the one I saw starred a guy who PUTS OUT A CIGARETTE ON A MONSTER'S FACE and was enjoying himself while he did it.
#43 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -
@KaosAngel: DMC1 sold well, exspectations to DMC2 was high, game was poorly recieved(not that bad of a game), and then people were just iffy with DMC3, kinda like "oh you can fool me once, but not twice"
#44 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4806 posts) -
@Jethuty: Helping my argument or not, the numbers I had read (from NPD) said DMC4 sold about 250,000 units. If the number you showed is accurate, then that is over the game's lifetime, and is really not that shit-hot in comparison to, well, pretty much any "big game" release of that year (2007, I believe).
#45 Posted by wonderhare (350 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

"
My eyes!!! D:
Where did I put that brain bleach?!
#46 Posted by Drakhir (410 posts) -

I thought my mind was corrupted, but maaaan. How the heck does anyone see Edward on New Dante's face? Seriously.

#47 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

The last thing the world needs is another Devil May Cry.

#48 Posted by Icemael (6320 posts) -
@odintal said:

" @shadyspace said:

You have to understand, it's too different therefore it is shit.   If it wasn't different enough, it would be a rehash  and therefore shit.    "
This is for you, and everyone else who assumes I think change is bad: my wish for the series to change -- for the better -- is exactly the reason I want Kamiya to make another installment.

@Cornman89 said:

" The last time Capcom made a DMC game, they made half of a game. Character designs notwithstanding, it was clearly time for someone else to take a crack at it. I hope Ninja Theory is that someone, but we'll see. "

Kamiya hasn't made a Devil May Cry since the first, and isn't even with Capcom anymore. He is "someone else" -- and certainly a better someone else than Ninja Theory, whose games are awful even by Western action game standards.

@Matiaz_Tapia said: 

" Also you're asking Sega to work with Capcom? And that ninja theory should cancel their undergoing project?  All this based on a game you haven't played yet???   Not only get over this, but also get over yourself Icemael ( and company). "

Platinum Games is an independent developer, so SEGA would have nothing to do with it. And all this is based on a trailer and what Ninja Theory have put out so far: garbage. The chances of Ninja Theory making a polished, complex action game are about as big as the chances of the Quantum Theory developers making a shooter in the same ballpark as Gears of War.

This whole thing is just another mistake in Inafune's misguided struggle to be more like the West in everything. The Japanese practically own the beat 'em up genre, much in the same way they own the fighting genre, the shmup genre and the SRPG genre. What Capcom should do (when making something in a genre dominated by the Japanese; if they were to make a first-person shooter or an RTS -- games in genres dominated by the West -- imitating Western games would be pretty much mandatory) is not be more like the West, but be more like the best of the Japanese (Hideki Kamiya and Tomonobu Itagaki, in the case of the beat 'em up genre).
#49 Posted by JackSukeru (5912 posts) -
@KingWilly said:

" @Jethuty: Helping my argument or not, the numbers I had read (from NPD) said DMC4 sold about 250,000 units. If the number you showed is accurate, then that is over the game's lifetime, and is really not that shit-hot in comparison to, well, pretty much any "big game" release of that year (2007, I believe). "

The game was released in the beginning of 08 (January in Japan, Febuary in U.S and EU). The story I linked to was posted on Febuary 19th the same year, and states: 

Today, Capcom announced that since its release in the US and Europe earlier this month and in Japan in January, Devil May Cry 4 has sold over 2 million units worldwide. 

Looking around some, I found this link to a thread in the NeoGAF forums that list the NPD numbers of February 2008. According to those numbers, DMC 4 sold 295.2K on Xbox and 233.5K on PS3.
#50 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -
@Icemael:  Yes, I'm aware that Kamiya wasn't involved in DMC 2-4. Thank you for that. What I mean is that Capcom made the right decision in giving "someone else" a chance to breathe new life into the franchise, and that I'm willing to actually give Ninja Theory the breathing room to try instead of crying foul the first chance I get.

Also, I confess that I'm kind of done with DMC, so take that however you like.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.