New DMC game announced

#1 Posted by drac96 (669 posts) -

The new Devil May Cry trailer released at the Tokyo game show has me a bit weary.  

http://screwattack.com/videos/New-DmC-Trailer     

I love me some DMC, but I don't know if I'm going to like the "re-imagining" of Dante's character and the world. It looks like the gameplay will remain marginally the same, but I liked the characters and world of Devil May Cry. Anyone else worried about the way this looks?

#2 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

No and I hope they don't cave into stupid fanboyism like the guys at Sucker Punch did.  

#3 Edited by punkxblaze (2968 posts) -

Everyone is fucking retarded.
Clearly devil may cry will suck because Dante has black hair and that means he's emo and the game will be terrible and somehow is taking cues from twilight and i can tell this all from a teaser that shows nothing story or gameplay relevant! 
Seriously. What. Fuck you, internet.

#4 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

I've never owned a DMC game for lack of a PS2 when those games came out, but I was always interested in watching my friends play them. DMC 4 was kinda strange plot wise though, and I was a little put off. Hopefully Capcom knows what they're doing. It does seem a bit strange to re-imagine someone like Dante when he's such a recognizable character.

#5 Posted by dudeglove (7722 posts) -
#6 Posted by punkxblaze (2968 posts) -

Let's make this the thread for people who are keeping an open mind and not making baseless conjecture about how a game will suck. Dante had white hair in DMC2 and that game blew, so I don't think his design really reflects quality that much.

#7 Posted by TheMartino (136 posts) -

I can't speak for the quality of the actual game. If it's ANYTHING like 1,3 or 4 I'll love it.

However I can still dislike how Dante looks.

#8 Posted by punkxblaze (2968 posts) -
@TheMartino said:
" I can't speak for the quality of the actual game. If it's ANYTHING like 1,3 or 4 I'll love it. However I can still dislike how Dante looks. "
Fair enough, I just think it's silly that people are saying the game will suck just based on that redesign.
#9 Posted by TheMartino (136 posts) -
@punkxblaze:  People are so quick to jump to conclusions.  It's really detrimental to the development if the developers see this overreaction of the public and actually spend resources trying to "fix" a non-existent problem.

Kind of like the Infamous 2 Cole redesign.
#10 Posted by FaytXIII (12 posts) -

I am always open-minded to new ideas. Since this is supposedly a Younger Dante (although they made it sound like this is Dante "re-imagined"), then I for one am curious as to what happened in Dante's past. And unlike the previous character design in Infamous 2, where the events happen after the first one, this is supposedly about Dante's past so I'm also curious as to how he got the white hair, etc. Regardless, this is all a simple speculation and conclusions can't be drawn with the information that they gave out. So without having final thoughts on the game, I will, at the very least, give it a chance.

#11 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

This isn't made by the guys who did DMC 1, 2, 4 and 4 right?

#12 Posted by FaytXIII (12 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: This is being developed by Ninja Theory, creators of Heavenly Sword. Apparently, 3 people from Capcom will be overseeing this though.
#13 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@FaytXIII said:
" @NekuSakuraba: This is being developed by Ninja Theory, creators of Heavenly Sword. Apparently, 3 people from Capcom will be overseeing this though. "
Heavenly sword was great, let's see how this turns out.
#14 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2483 posts) -

I really hoped that by now they'd have made a game focused solely on Sparda.

This is cooler than Dante
#15 Posted by zitosilva (1840 posts) -

Though I also agree the these outbursts at Dante's new appearance are exaggerated, I do wonder how it came about. I mean, what influences did the team take, why did they decide to change him, why did they thought the new hair color was necessary and so on.

At least they don't have to worry about keeping Dante's personality or anything of the kind, since it's been pretty inconsistent throughout the games.

#16 Posted by dudeglove (7722 posts) -

He's got a red coat, he's Dante.

#17 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (735 posts) -
@dudeglove said:
" He's got a red coat, he's Dante. "
He sure as hell isn't my Dante.
#18 Posted by Vweet (1 posts) -

Going by the combat scene, it looks as though they're trying to pull off a transforming sword sort of thing, which is always ok in my book.

#19 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@zitosilva
Though I also agree the these outbursts at Dante's new appearance are exaggerated, I do wonder how it came about. I mean, what influences did the team take, why did they decide to change him, why did they thought the new hair color was necessary and so on.

At least they don't have to worry about keeping Dante's personality or anything of the kind, since it's been pretty inconsistent throughout the games.
Twilight, hipsters, and punk.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.