Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 23, 2001

Play as Dante, son of the legendary dark knight Sparda, as he takes on the emperor of the demon world, Mundus. With help from the lovely Trish, the Force Edge and his guns, Ebony and Ivory.

DMC getting movie treatment

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By vidiot

From Kotaku

Dante the demon slayer may be gracing the silver screen soon, now that Hollywood studio Screen Gems—the people who make the Resident Evil movies—has acquired the rights to make a Devil May Cry movie.

Variety reports that Capcom and Screen Gems have struck a deal to adapt Devil May Cry into a feature film, with Kyle Ward writing the script. He's the guy writing the Kane & Lynch screenplay, so let's hope his video game adaptation skills are up to the task.

Capcom and developer Ninja Theory are hard at work on a Devil May Cry reboot video game dubbed DmC. Factoring in that left turn for the franchise and the manner in which the Resident Evil films deviated from the video games, we're guessing Screen Gems won't be afraid to take liberties with Dante and friends.

So apparently, it's a pretty abysmal time to be a fan of the DMC series.
    As if the concept of the future of the series, being mutated into an incredibly not-cool corporate Twilight infused mess isn't reason enough to get annoyed.

These are the same people that did the Resident Evil films, a series that didn't just took liberties with it's cannon, but sprinted the opposite direction while set on fire. 
    Granted, I'm sure everyone's own personal take and or standards for a DmC movie are pretty low from the get-go, I kinda still feel pretty annoyed that we are in this situation. A situation where even a movie adaptation on Uncharted, is expected to go over the deep-end (and in this case does with flying colors).  
    Game movie adaptations are usually garbage, but I remember a time where the concept of a game being adapted into a film gave me a sliver of hope. I don't have that anymore. Not even a slight iota of interest.  

I enjoy the hell out of DmC, but even without the context of who's in charge making the adaptation, I could care less. 
    In fact, I now dread any announcement of a videogame movie adaptation. I know an easy brain-dumb response to that previous statement would follow something akin to "dur- welcome to the club dummy!
    At the same time, I don't feel like it's a poor concept to have even a sliver of hope regarding these projects. I still have this idea that if other mediums can be properly adapted successfully, why can't games?
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By PufferFiz

I hear the director is going to play Dante

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

At least these guys can't be as fucking stupid as the fucking retarded british people making the new game. 

Just give him white hair, lack of smoking, and wit...put in some action.  The shit is supposed to be cheesy so it's the hardest thing to not fuck up.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

ugh

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By MikkaQ

What about DMC even screams "I'm a movie!" anyway? It'll only highlight how terrible the story is. It served as a passible window dressing for a fun game series, but who's actually going to enjoy watching something like this?

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

gross. 
    Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By ESREVER

Can it please just be a giant cut-scene? The cut-scenes in DMC are awesome... 
    Who the hell would they find to play Dante. They would have to CGI him in if it was a real people movie. No Actor can be that sexy, that badass, and that cheesey without being absolutely hated. Thats one of the wonderful things about Dante.

Seriously, who would play Dante in a movie?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

I have a bad feeling about this.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zeforgotten
    @Lord_Yeti said:
    " Yeah, DMC is the first time Dante has ever looked like a super douche...except for those four other games of course. 

http://www.giantbomb.com/devil-may-cry-3-dantes-awakening/61-890/all-images/52-159144/devil_may_cry_3_dvd_ntsc_front/51-1369577/   

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080218065722/devilmaycry/images/thumb/2/2c/Dantestreet.jpg/516px-Dantestreet.jpg "
    I pray to someone that you're not joking.  
    Seriously, I don't wanna be the only person in the world who can actually see that the doucheness of the old Dante was far worse than the new one. 
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Man, why don't they ever get people who actually know how to make good movies to work on these things? And then the one time a fairly good one is made (Prince of Persia), no one goes to see it because everyone assumes it's bad (I enjoyed it anyway).  

Oh well. 

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By SMTDante89
    @PufferFiz said:
    " I hear the director is going to play Dante "
    I laughed.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vidiot
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " Don't get too excited...or pissed...or do. I'm kinda confused. "
    That's actually a surprisingly good article. 

@Lord_Yeti said:
    " Yeah, DMC is the first time Dante has ever looked like a super douche...except for those four other games of course. 

http://www.giantbomb.com/devil-may-cry-3-dantes-awakening/61-890/all-images/52-159144/devil_may_cry_3_dvd_ntsc_front/51-1369577/   

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080218065722/devilmaycry/images/thumb/2/2c/Dantestreet.jpg/516px-Dantestreet.jpg "
    I'll give you what they did for DmC 3 stylistically, as a good example of being utilized in the descriptive terminology that is "super douche".
    But, using an alternative skin for DmC 2 is kinda poor as an example to back up your statement. Also, no notion of how clearly bad-ass Dante's original design is in one, two, and four doesn't back up that claim.  

@XII_Sniper said:
    " What about DMC even screams "I'm a movie!" anyway? It'll only highlight how terrible the story is. It served as a passible window dressing for a fun game series, but who's actually going to enjoy watching something like this? "
    Amen.
    That's another issue I've had with some of these adaptations. I like DmC, but even conceptually trying to think of how these adaptations are chosen bother me. When someone asks you what games you would love to see made into a movie, would you pick, or even think about DmC? Resident Evil? Kayne and Lynch? There's this bizarre disconnect between what's chosen, and what would do well and sell.  
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Guy kills demons for two hours. 

The movie.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By bonbolapti

I've watched enough movies of any kinds weather they're based on novels, games, or comics. To just take them for what they are.

DMC for all intents and purposes, was an action game.
    This for all intents and purposes, will be an action flick.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#17  Edited By Icemael

HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA. This is going to be worse than that Dragon Ball flick. 

@Lord_Yeti said:

" Yeah, DMC is the first time Dante has ever looked like a super douche...except for those four other games of course. "
    He was fine in 1, 2 and 4. I mean, you can't seriously tell me that for example this is the look of a super douche. In 3 though... ugh.
    MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By MistaSparkle

Fuck! On first glance I saw that DMX was getting a movie :(

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By MarkWahlberg
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " Guy kills demons for two hours.  The movie. "
    Guy plays the game for two hours.  

Bathroom break 2/3 of the way through hailed as the most innovative use of colonoscopy camera in cinematic history.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Icemael: DMC2 doesn't exist.  
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Icemael: DMC2 doesn't exist.   "
    DENYING IT DOESN'T MAKE IT NOT REAL.  

Not unless you have a time machine...
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BraveToaster
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " Man, why don't they ever get people who actually know how to make good movies to work on these things? And then the one time a fairly good one is made (Prince of Persia), no one goes to see it because everyone assumes it's bad (I enjoyed it anyway).   Oh well.  "
    But Prince of Persia is a terrible film.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @Axxol: What makes it terrible? I want examples. 

To me, the acting was decent, the writing was decent, and the action was pretty good. What the hell else do you want from a movie? 
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BraveToaster
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " @Axxol: What makes it terrible? I want examples.  To me, the acting was decent, the writing was decent, and the action was pretty good. What the hell else do you want from a movie?  "
    I wasn't feeling the acting. It came off as cheesy imo.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By landon
    @SMTDante89 said:
    " @PufferFiz said:
    " I hear the director is going to play Dante "
    I laughed. "
    I lol'd.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @Axxol said:
    " @MooseyMcMan said:
    " @Axxol: What makes it terrible? I want examples.  To me, the acting was decent, the writing was decent, and the action was pretty good. What the hell else do you want from a movie?  "
    I wasn't feeling the acting. It came off as cheesy imo. "
    So cheesy acting makes the movie terrible? If anything, "cheesy" acting was probably intentional. It's about a guy who finds a dagger that can manipulate time. A movie like that shouldn't take itself seriously.  

Then again, I like cheesy.  

All I know is that the movie had Ben Kingsley, and ostrich racing. Anyone who thinks those things are not awesome is a terrible human being that doesn't appreciate things that are goofy and/or funny (well, more so with the ostriches). 
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BraveToaster
    @MooseyMcMan said:

" @Axxol said:

" @MooseyMcMan said:
    So cheesy acting makes the movie terrible? If anything, "cheesy" acting was probably intentional. It's about a guy who finds a dagger that can manipulate time. A movie like that shouldn't take itself seriously.   Then again, I like cheesy.   All I know is that the movie had Ben Kingsley, and ostrich racing. Anyone who thinks those things are not awesome is a terrible human being that doesn't appreciate things that are goofy and/or funny (well, more so with the ostriches).  "
    I didn't like the acting. The movie as a whole came off as cheesy to me. You're right, a movie like that shouldn't take itself seriously, nor was I expecting it to. I didn't find it entertaining and didn't have the will to finish it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

MY-UH-DEED-UZ 

Oh, wait...

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#29  Edited By Icemael
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " @Axxol said:
    " @MooseyMcMan said:
    So cheesy acting makes the movie terrible? "
    Not alone, but when combined with awkward pacing, poor choreography and pathetic attempts at comic relief...
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Icemael said:
    " HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA. This is going to be worse than that Dragon Ball flick. 

@Lord_Yeti said:
    " Yeah, DMC is the first time Dante has ever looked like a super douche...except for those four other games of course. "
    He was fine in 1, 2 and 4. I mean, you can't seriously tell me that for example this is the look of a super douche. In 3 though... ugh. "
    Isn't that one of the alternate costumes you get for beating the game? He looks fine in the no-shirt-under-trenchcoat default. At least that's the one I always use.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By PhatSeeJay

So Screen Gems, huh?

Dante and Nero both played by Milla Jovovich. Calling it.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By vaiz

This should be fucking impossible to fuck up, but they'll manage to anyway. You know who I'd kill to see direct a DMC movie? Tarantino. Seriously, a DMC movie treatment screams his level of ridiculous Kill Bill style wire action and unrepentant cheese.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.