Itagaki's Devil's Third Announced

• 66 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Itagaki, the mad genius behind Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive, is proving that there is life after divorce. In advance of E3 proper, Itagaki has announced and revealed his new game, Devil's Third, which is currently in development at his fresh studio, Valhalla Studios. It will be, of course, published by not-Tecmo.

Judging from the footage of the game released recently, Devil's Third appears to be a third-person shooter first and a beat-'em-up second. This would be accurate, according to Itagaki. "If you think of it as a shooting game that includes a level of melee combat and fighting that has never been done in a shooting game before," he told Eurogamer in an advanced conversation, "that's a good way to think of it." 

== TEASER ==That seems like an odd combat design direction for the guy behind Ninja Gaiden, a game that featured brain-numbing hack-and-slash combinations. The fact that it is different is the reason Itagaki decided to go guns-first. He told Eurogamer later that he didn't want consumers to confuse it with a Ninja Gaiden- or Devil May Cry-type of experience. Silly consumers.

Devil's Third is set in a post-apocalyptic universe where dudes have a lot more blood in their bodies than we do. The game is clearly over-the-top; air juggles make enemies appear as if they're meat-sprinklers, while the on-the-ground stuff is just as nasty, if not moreso. Big guns of the Gatling variety are confirmed, as well as fast-paced combat, acrobatics, and fluid hand-to-gun fisticuffs. Man. Call me silly, but I think I want this already even though Itagaki has never made my cup of tea.

THQ is set to publish the title on the Xbox 360 and PS3. No release date was announced, but the media have been told not to expect this one within (roughly) the next two years. Bummer!    
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Itagaki, the mad genius behind Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive, is proving that there is life after divorce. In advance of E3 proper, Itagaki has announced and revealed his new game, Devil's Third, which is currently in development at his fresh studio, Valhalla Studios. It will be, of course, published by not-Tecmo.

Judging from the footage of the game released recently, Devil's Third appears to be a third-person shooter first and a beat-'em-up second. This would be accurate, according to Itagaki. "If you think of it as a shooting game that includes a level of melee combat and fighting that has never been done in a shooting game before," he told Eurogamer in an advanced conversation, "that's a good way to think of it." 

== TEASER ==That seems like an odd combat design direction for the guy behind Ninja Gaiden, a game that featured brain-numbing hack-and-slash combinations. The fact that it is different is the reason Itagaki decided to go guns-first. He told Eurogamer later that he didn't want consumers to confuse it with a Ninja Gaiden- or Devil May Cry-type of experience. Silly consumers.

Devil's Third is set in a post-apocalyptic universe where dudes have a lot more blood in their bodies than we do. The game is clearly over-the-top; air juggles make enemies appear as if they're meat-sprinklers, while the on-the-ground stuff is just as nasty, if not moreso. Big guns of the Gatling variety are confirmed, as well as fast-paced combat, acrobatics, and fluid hand-to-gun fisticuffs. Man. Call me silly, but I think I want this already even though Itagaki has never made my cup of tea.

THQ is set to publish the title on the Xbox 360 and PS3. No release date was announced, but the media have been told not to expect this one within (roughly) the next two years. Bummer!    
#2 Posted by TerraDelu (501 posts) -

Blood. Neat.

#3 Posted by McSmunions (582 posts) -

saw the trailer last night, and i'm kinda pumped. didn't have any prior expectations so maybe that's why. (i still want DOA5)

#4 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -

Saweeeeeeeet.

#5 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Looks meh.

#6 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Yes! I love you Itagaki!

#7 Posted by Milkman (17316 posts) -

Looks like exactly the kind of game that Itagaki would make. For better or for worse.

#8 Posted by KinjiroSSD (694 posts) -

lol, Itagaki is so full of himself

#9 Posted by Aarny91 (3914 posts) -

Looks fucking horrible.

#10 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

Devil's Turd.

#11 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -
@zyn said:
" Looks meh. "
#12 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

I'm excited for it.

#13 Posted by BoOzak (998 posts) -

Not sure if i'm fan of the setting or style but the idea of fast past third-person gunplay mixed with a decent enough melee system could be pretty awesome & itagaki has yet to dissapoint as far i'm concerned.

#14 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

Fuck everyone this game looks sick as fuck.

Could use a better name, though. Something that catches the eye.

Like NINJA EXPLOSION or something.

#15 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
@BoOzak said:
" Not sure if i'm fan of the setting "
We don't even know what the setting is yet.
#16 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Devil's Third? More like Devil's Turd! Amirite? Yeah, it's super obvious. I wonder how many more times it will be said in these comments. Take a drink for every one you notice!

#17 Posted by MisterMouse (3564 posts) -

seems pretty cool.

#18 Posted by EthanielRain (928 posts) -

I noticed a disturbing lack of breast weasels in that trailer.

#19 Posted by ComixZone (93 posts) -

Solid trailer...peaked my interest.

#20 Posted by Met2609 (555 posts) -

Interesting use of Beethoven.

#21 Posted by calidan777 (853 posts) -

I can't wait, that shit's gonna be (in my choir voice) AWESOME

#22 Posted by EvanFavreau (73 posts) -

Man, Wet 2 looks awesome!

#23 Posted by Killroycantkill (1423 posts) -

It looks pretty cool, just hoping it's not going to turn out like WET, because that is what this game is looking like. Looking at the gameplay this game would have some exciting multiplayer.

#24 Posted by Deathdealer108 (294 posts) -

This game looks like Wet to me. The chick in the trailer even looks similar to Ruby.
#25 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5154 posts) -

Wow for a game from Idagaki there really wasnt a lot of cleavage on that girl.

#26 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

Swords and guns is always a winning combination.

#27 Posted by Binman88 (3690 posts) -

It looks kinda good, kinda middling, and kinda bad all at the same time. I'm interested.

#28 Posted by anarchcorp (83 posts) -

It sure looks like an Itakagi Game and that's a good thing in my book. 

but two years? Damn, that's a long wait.

#29 Posted by jos1ah (325 posts) -

Two years?! I hope that's a joke. Anyway, looks shockingly good for a game that's still 2 years away.
#30 Posted by Seedofpower (3949 posts) -

I hope they don't pull that bullshit where they release on 360 first then add more content for the ps3 later without warning anyone.

#31 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

Looks awesome.

#32 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
@Seedofpower said:
" I hope they don't pull that bullshit where they release on 360 first then add more content for the ps3 later without warning anyone. "
I don't think that'll happen because NG2 was never supposed to be released on the PS3 in the first place and Itagaki was heavily against the idea of a PS3 port; but when he left they decided to do it anyways.  Devil's Third has been announced for both platforms out of the getgo, so pulling an exclusivity deal at this point would be a damn bold move I don't think a publisher like THQ would pull.
#33 Posted by MeatSim (10939 posts) -

I am all for dismemberment in games.

#34 Posted by Zoombini (64 posts) -

I am worried to be honest. The concept sounds awesome but games that focus on blending this idea between melee and shooting generally seem slightly flawed for one reason or another. I wish them luck, but I think Valhalla have a real task in front of them.

#35 Posted by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

Looks AMAZING. I love anything Itagaki makes. Except for the DOAX series.

#36 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1545 posts) -

Needs more jiggly boobs

#37 Posted by Dryker (515 posts) -
@BenderUnit22 said:
"Needs more jiggly boobs"

Shut it, man! The one wise occlusion.
#38 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1657 posts) -

cool

#39 Edited by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -
@DukeTogo said:

" Devil's Turd. "

Sold separately.

Man I hope this is NOT another Wet game!  That game was god-awful
#40 Posted by Seedofpower (3949 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Seedofpower said:
" I hope they don't pull that bullshit where they release on 360 first then add more content for the ps3 later without warning anyone. "
I don't think that'll happen because NG2 was never supposed to be released on the PS3 in the first place and Itagaki was heavily against the idea of a PS3 port; but when he left they decided to do it anyways.  Devil's Third has been announced for both platforms out of the getgo, so pulling an exclusivity deal at this point would be a damn bold move I don't think a publisher like THQ would pull. "
Let's hope not, but they got 2 years.
#41 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

It looks like it could be one of my favorite games I'll play this year (assuming it comes out this year), or it could be a huge disappointment.  I loved NG:B and NG2 VERY much.  Definitely my favorite action games of all time.  I'm just worrisome that this being a shooter it won't turn out as well.  The shooting has to have a lot of precision and has to feel right for me to enjoy a shooter at all.

#42 Posted by Veektarius (5019 posts) -

girl's boobs were below par for the course.

#43 Posted by Joey2683 (377 posts) -

That trailer was pretty awful.
#44 Posted by tysonwritesel (93 posts) -

Day 1

#45 Posted by jakob187 (21759 posts) -

Needs more blood.
#46 Edited by zityz (2360 posts) -

Holy Shit! He knows how to make a game that doesn't involve latex and Triple D Breasts.
#47 Posted by ch3burashka (5247 posts) -

So... much... blood...

#48 Posted by RVonE (4700 posts) -

I don't know... If Itagaki doesn't take care of the boobs anymore, who will?
#49 Posted by Zelnox (395 posts) -

Looks quite cool, although pixelated. I thought it was for the PSP or something.

#50 Posted by Spiritof (2093 posts) -

The animations look awesome.

The art design, not so much.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.