Diablo II impulse buy....

Posted by Ultimadark (150 posts) -

With all the Starcraft 2 hype going on, I got a blizzard fever and decided to try out Diablo 2, which I own but have never played. After registering my game at Battle.net, I decided that I should probably get the expansion, Lord of Destruction, as well, for a complete Diablo 2 experience. So I bought a digital Copy of LOD,getting pretty hyped since I loved both Titan Quest and TQ: The immortal throne. 

But, to my dismay, hack n slash games on the PC have changed in the years between Diablo 2 and Titan Quest. The graphics are horrible and I miss a lot of stuff from titan quest, like bigger inventory, being able to hold down the mouse button to attack etc. 

Diablo 2 gets a thumbs down from me...

#1 Posted by Ultimadark (150 posts) -

With all the Starcraft 2 hype going on, I got a blizzard fever and decided to try out Diablo 2, which I own but have never played. After registering my game at Battle.net, I decided that I should probably get the expansion, Lord of Destruction, as well, for a complete Diablo 2 experience. So I bought a digital Copy of LOD,getting pretty hyped since I loved both Titan Quest and TQ: The immortal throne. 

But, to my dismay, hack n slash games on the PC have changed in the years between Diablo 2 and Titan Quest. The graphics are horrible and I miss a lot of stuff from titan quest, like bigger inventory, being able to hold down the mouse button to attack etc. 

Diablo 2 gets a thumbs down from me...

#2 Posted by SythonX7 (134 posts) -

Unfortunately I also fell under Blizzards spell, Diablo just doesn't hold up for me after playing the likes of Titan Quest and Torchlight, though I do still miss the days of playing Diablo with my brother on my ancient PC.

#3 Posted by AjayRaz (12389 posts) -

i'm still on the verge of buying Diablo and Diablo 2. they don't sound as dated as they seem. 

#4 Edited by JamesBoyce (294 posts) -

I impulse bought seven copies of Battlechest, I re-bought Diablo 2 and WarCraft 3, I bought StarCraft II, I bought an in-game pet and mount for WoW and I halved in with another friend so he could get Battlechest.  Blizzard has fucking raped me this month... :(

PS: I quite like Diablo 2, but you should try out Torchlight if you're looking for a more modern Diablo-like game.

#5 Posted by ectoplasma (946 posts) -

Wait, u can hold down the mousebutton to attack. I don't know, I didnt like TQ at all in comparison to D2, but I played both games when they were released.

#6 Posted by Metroid545 (1823 posts) -

I always do stuff like this for example all that hype about god of war 3? I bought1 and 2 right away no questions asked, wasn't as disappointed as you are apparently

#7 Posted by eroticfishcake (7780 posts) -

Actually I've just started playing Diablo with the Hellfire expansion just recently and I think it still holds up well to this day. It's dated all right, especially if you've played Titanquest or Torchlight but it's still playable.

#8 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

WTF? Diablo II is still good. I've played all the recent Diablo clones also. Torchlight, Titan Quest, Sacred 2, and so on. Yeah so the graphics suck and you can't hold the left mouse button to attack. So what. It's the fact that Blizzard is still supporting the game. The most recent patch, v 1.13, was just released a few months ago. And the game came out on June 29, 2000. Woah, that was my 15th birthday. That's a bad ass birthday present.

#9 Posted by Rehehelly (414 posts) -

Wut?

DIablo 2 is still an awesome game, I might have to reinstall it soon...

#10 Edited by SythonX7 (134 posts) -
@ch13696 said:

" WTF? Diablo II is still good. I've played all the recent Diablo clones also. Torchlight, Titan Quest, Sacred 2, and so on. Yeah so the graphics suck and you can't hold the left mouse button to attack. So what. It's the fact that Blizzard is still supporting the game. The most recent patch, v 1.13, was just released a few months ago. And the game came out on June 29, 2000. Woah, that was my 15th birthday. That's a bad ass birthday present. "

Yeh sure its still good and enjoyable, that will never go away, its just the little things that change througout the genres life that make me feel like I'm done with Diablo. But do not misunderstand this Diablo  is great. Also cannot wait for D3. Amirite?
#11 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

Its still a great game. I enjoyed it a lot more than Titan Quest (that was still a good game though)

#12 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@Ultimadark said:
" With all the Starcraft 2 hype going on, I got a blizzard fever and decided to try out Diablo 2, which I own but have never played. After registering my game at Battle.net, I decided that I should probably get the expansion, Lord of Destruction, as well, for a complete Diablo 2 experience. So I bought a digital Copy of LOD,getting pretty hyped since I loved both Titan Quest and TQ: The immortal throne.  But, to my dismay, hack n slash games on the PC have changed in the years between Diablo 2 and Titan Quest. The graphics are horrible and I miss a lot of stuff from titan quest, like bigger inventory, being able to hold down the mouse button to attack etc.  Diablo 2 gets a thumbs down from me... "
Titan quest is ASS compared to Diablo II. You havent given D2 a fair chance if you think its not as good as titan quest.  How many different characters did you try? How many acts did you get through? How many character builds for the same class did you try? How much did you play online in closed battlenet, where people to play with at any time of day or night can still be found readily?  How many new character/ new skill mods did you try from D2's expansive mod offerings (Eastern Sun, Sanctuary in Chaos, Hell on Earth, Seasons After, etc.)? The depth in D2 is profound in terms of character building, atmosphere, and level design.
#13 Posted by Chaser324 (5966 posts) -

Diablo 2 was amazing, but after getting used to the enhancements in games like Torchlight, I don't think I can go back. I'm more than happy to wait for Diablo 3 though.

Moderator Online
#14 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

I like Titan Quest a fair bit, but I don't agree, Diablo 2 is still far superior to it overall.  The skills are more interesting, the classes are more interesting, the combat is more satisfying, the enemies are more fun to fight (stupid desert scarabs notwithstanding!), there are larger hordes of enemies to fight...  Heck, Diablo 2 even has a feature that I wish TQ had - assigning skills numbers that you can scroll through with the mouse wheel, as opposed to only having two quick skills you can tab between and having to use number keys to invoke all the others.  They got rid of that just so they could replace it with zooming the camera in and out, which I find silly.  They could have just mapped that to two keys on the keyboard as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think Diablo 2's graphics suck at all.  They're old, yes, but they're as good as they need to be and still have good appeal in the look of the design and the spell effects and such.  Not being able to hold the mouse button down to attack doesn't even seem like a concern to me.  That's a small and insubstantial convenience that I honestly only ever use with ranged weapons in games that have it.

#15 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@Chaser324 said:
" Diablo 2 was amazing, but after getting used to the enhancements in games like Torchlight, I don't think I can go back. I'm more than happy to wait for Diablo 3 though. "
It's weird, but im totally the opposite here. After getting used to all the features and content of D2, i can't really enjoy torchlight very much because of all the things it is missing. No online, Less character classes, significantly inferior plot, massively reduced difficulty, and samey, slogging combat.  I have played a fair amount of torchlight and when you get down to it, it is Fate with better art design. It's a fun distraction, but It's no Diablo II and it is not trying to be.  The only way i can really see preferring torchlight is if a person really cannot see past dated graphics to enjoy excellent gameplay.
#16 Posted by SythonX7 (134 posts) -
@Supermarius said:
" @Chaser324 said:
" Diablo 2 was amazing, but after getting used to the enhancements in games like Torchlight, I don't think I can go back. I'm more than happy to wait for Diablo 3 though. "
It's weird, but im totally the opposite here. After getting used to all the features and content of D2, i can't really enjoy torchlight very much because of all the things it is missing. No online, Less character classes, significantly inferior plot, massively reduced difficulty, and samey, slogging combat.  I have played a fair amount of torchlight and when you get down to it, it is Fate with better art design. It's a fun distraction, but It's no Diablo II and it is not trying to be.  The only way i can really see preferring torchlight is if a person really cannot see past dated graphics to enjoy excellent gameplay. "
You know your tottaly right, its sorta criminal that Torchlight has no multiplayer. I think I'll give D2 another try, might as well right, after buying it for a third time an all. 
#17 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@SythonX7:  I would totally be willing to make a new D2 character if some people wanted to play.  :P
#18 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

I've never found a hack 'n slash game that I've liked except for Diablo I & II. Even Torchlight, a game made by the same guys, I found to be extremely boring.

I still play Diablo I & II occasionally, so it's not nostalgia/rose-tinted glasses. I even got Titan Quest a long time ago because everyone said "It's Diablo II, but 3D and better!"

It wasn't. It wasn't fun. It was boring. Greek mythology is boring. I never got past that part of the game.

Diablo II still looks great, by the way. Did you try increasing your resolution?

#19 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3667 posts) -

No.no......!!!!!!!!! must resist urge to start playing again.

#20 Posted by Chaser324 (5966 posts) -
@Supermarius: 
I guess it depends on what really brought you into Diablo 2. If it's the multiplayer aspect, then it's completely understandable that you found Torchlight lacking. I personally prefer to play games like this solo though, so I got a lot of enjoyment out of Torchlight.
Moderator Online
#21 Posted by dudeglove (7253 posts) -
@Ultimadark:   D2 is fantastic. Seriously. The online community is great as well, as you'll get an easy rush and random free gear on a regular basis. Definitely get LoD too. They patched it about a couple of months ago too (probably the last). I recommend an orb sorc build to begin with, then a Javazon. Nothing more satisfying than emptying an entire room with one shot.
#22 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -
@Chaser324 said:
" @Supermarius:  I guess it depends on what really brought you into Diablo 2. If it's the multiplayer aspect, then it's completely understandable that you found Torchlight lacking. I personally prefer to play games like this solo though, so I got a lot of enjoyment out of Torchlight. "

I too play them solo, but I find Torchlight vastly inferior to both Diablo 2 and Titan Quest.
#23 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

Diablo 2 is still the pinnacle of hack and slash games, and I'm currently playing through both Torchlight and Titan Quest, I'd normally be bored of TQ by the end of the first country, but this time I'm co-op with a friend it's added some longevity, but sadly he doesn't own IT so I'll have to get him to buy that.

However, I still feel cravings whilst playing both Torchlight and TQ for Diablo 2, that might be because I've invested many an hour into Diablo 2, my Amazon and Sorc were awesome at their peak, I think I still have characters though they've probably expired.
That Amazon had some crazily high level stuff aswell, especially the bow.

#24 Edited by Matthew (1910 posts) -
@Hockeymask27 said:

" No.no......!!!!!!!!! must resist urge to start playing again. "

You can't resist it man, it's useless.  Just give in and build that zon you've always wanted, or that 650 MF bliz/fball sorc that will net you gg loot. 

@dudeglove said:
" @Ultimadark:   D2 is fantastic. Seriously. The online community is great as well, as you'll get an easy rush and random free gear on a regular basis. Definitely get LoD too. They patched it about a couple of months ago too (probably the last). I recommend an orb sorc build to begin with, then a Javazon. Nothing more satisfying than emptying an entire room with one shot. "
Seriously.  I picked up the game in spring of 09, and really got to experience how awesome the community aspect is.  Of course you'll find your fair share of uptight people, but faaaaaaaar less than any online community I've partaken of.  Although I never did do a zon, I did get a 540-ish mf orb/thunderstorm sorc.  Tore up, and it is awesome. 
#25 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

To be fair, Diablo 2 was dated visually even at the time it came out. I enjoyed it quite a bit at the time despite that, but yeah, nowadays I'm not sure if it'll hold up so well. I haven't played it in a long time, and I don't think I plan to. I'll just wait for D3.

#26 Posted by dudeglove (7253 posts) -
@Matthew said:
Seriously.  I picked up the game in spring of 09, and really got to experience how awesome the community aspect is.  Of course you'll find your fair share of uptight people, but faaaaaaaar less than any online community I've partaken of.  Although I never did do a zon, I did get a 540-ish mf orb/thunderstorm sorc.  Tore up, and it is awesome.  "
That was around about the same time I did too, which I guess is proof that it hasn't lost its appeal nearly 10 years down the line. I stopped playing a while a go, though, but I don't think I've got as much satisfaction out of helping other players than in any other game - and I'm severely tempted right now after reading this.
#27 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@Chaser324 said:
" @Supermarius:  I guess it depends on what really brought you into Diablo 2. If it's the multiplayer aspect, then it's completely understandable that you found Torchlight lacking. I personally prefer to play games like this solo though, so I got a lot of enjoyment out of Torchlight. "
yeah, i wasnt too big a fan of the online in D2 either. It was good but i couldnt keep up with people. I usually played solo and thats part of why i liked D2 more because the story stuff is more in depth. However the knowledge that you can play online with a friend adds to the appeal because you know that you can show off your character to a friend or help them level or share gear. Its not massively multiplayer but it doesnt need to be. With no online at all you lose one of the big appeals of a gearing/character developing game and that is showing other people your neat stuff. This was the same deal with Borderlands. I would almost exclusively solo it but the rare opportunities to play with friends added alot of percieved value to my character.
#28 Posted by Ultimadark (150 posts) -
I guess that I'm in the minority in liking Titan Quest more than D2 :P I do however acknowledge that we wouldn't have TQ if we didn't have Diablo, could just be that I played TQ before D2 and got used to it. I really like the mythology used in TQ though, and I think that it's an excellent game. 

@JamesBoyce: I've got Torchlight when it was new, it was good for a while (great value at such a low price), but ultimately I got tired of it before finishing it. 

@AjayRaz:
 Get Titan Quest instead :) 

@SythonX7: Aren't they making some kind of new multiplayer Torchlight?
#29 Posted by JamesBoyce (294 posts) -
@Ultimadark:  I believe there's an MP mod coming for Torchlight and at the same time Torchlight was basically the devs trying to get money for an online version they'd be working on.
#30 Posted by HistoryInRust (6215 posts) -

Literally just bought this game today. Probably the wrong decision. I can feel myself getting sucked way into this game. 

#31 Posted by Rio (591 posts) -

The online play may suck these days for various reasons, but my past obsession with D2 online back prior to patch 1.10 with my friends was probably the most fun I have ever had with a video game in my life.  The diablo clones since then have never come close to recreating what made Diablo 1 and 2 so amazing.  I still load up D2 every once in a while to play with my brother and continue to enjoy the hell out of it. 

#32 Posted by HistoryInRust (6215 posts) -
@Rio: Yeah. I can already tell I don't think this is a game I'd like to play with others--though, I know it its heyday it was a lot of fun on Battle.net--it's just a more interesting solitary experience for me. 
#33 Posted by Rio (591 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok: Well playing with other people is what made Diablo such an amazing experience.  Sure you can have a fantastic time playing alone, but its just not the same.  What makes the online suck recently is a number of issues I wont go into detail about: D2jsp, enigma, diablo / baal bots, some synergy unbalances, and everyone figuring out you dump practically all of your skill points into vitality suddenly making custom skill point allocation completely pointless.  These things are the cause of a number of changes being made for diablo 3, which I am so very very excited for!
#34 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

Diablo II was crack cocaine for me back in the day.

Diablo III will be pure, distilled liquid opium.

#35 Posted by Gilsham (292 posts) -

oh boy the number of times I've play D2 with different mods, those add so much to the game eastern sun was probably my favourite back when you could turn items into gems and put then inside each other, one of my flatmates gambled 5 tarn helm and put 4 in side the last one in the  first act having +5 to skills was godly. I was playing zon and got enough points into dodge so I couldn't be hit

#36 Posted by MysteriousBob (6273 posts) -

You're insane. I only recently played it for the first time and the graphics are fine.

#37 Posted by Fallen189 (4921 posts) -

All you need to know for playing Diablo 2: Numpad 6

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.