Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 19, 2014

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition (and Eternal Collection) brings both Diablo III and its expansion, Reaper of Souls, to consoles in one package with several new, exclusive features.

Buying Diablo III? How many times will that make it?

• 59 results
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Buying Diablo III? How many times will that make it? (208 votes)

Only once. This is my first time. It'll be the PS4 / Xbox One version. 25%
    Only once. This is my first time. It'll be the PS3 / 360 version. 2%
    Two times. This and the PC version. 38%
    Two times. This and the PS3 / Xbox 360 version. 13%
    Three times. PC, PS3 / Xbox 360, and now UEE for PS4 / Xbox One. 23%

Just curious how many people will be buying this for the second time or more.

• 
    Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Budwyzer

Twice here.

Bought the original at launch, for PC, to play with friends online. We beat it, stomped it, and ground it to a pulp!

Now that the expansion is coming to consoles, with improved local co-op, I'm picking it up for PS4. I originally grabbed it for the 360, so that the wife and I could play online with her brother, but then decided that I didn't want to deal with them inferior graphicals. So ordered a PS4 and changed my pre-order. A good local co-op game is hard to come by now that we've beat most of them.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@altairre said:

@ajamafalous said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

@ajamafalous said:
    @spoonman671 said:

I played it when it first released on PC, and haven't felt the need to pay any more money for the console versions. I'd probably try it out if it were free or even heavily discounted for owners of other versions.

@ajamafalous said:

There is no "I have it on PC and am not buying a console version because the PC version is objectively superior" option.

Don't come at me with a "Not if you want couch co-op/controller!" response. That may be a feature that you want that sells you on the console version, but it doesn't mean the PC version isn't still the better game up and down.

I just don't understand why PC fanboys feel the need to open their big mouths and make all of us look socially inept and self-important. That's not an option in the poll because it was specifically about people who ARE buying the most recent iteration of the game.

I'm not a PC fanboy by any means, I can just recognize that the PC version of Diablo is a far better experience.

Again, if someone prefers to play it on the couch or with a controller, that's totally fine, but that doesn't make it a better game from an objective standpoint; it just means that, to them, it's worth losing some other features to gain couch co-op or controller support.

Also, the poll doesn't say "this is only for people who are buying the most recent iteration" because the OP specifically says "Just curious how many people will be buying this for the second time or more," not "I am only looking for answers from people who are." My response is "I am a person who is not buying this for the second time or more."

Hi, I'm the person who made the thread. This poll has been placed in the Ultimate Evil Edition forum, and is specifically titled "Buying Diablo III? How many times will that make it?" You're not just wrong, you're objectively wrong.

Also, if one version of a game includes features that another version lacks--which is certainly the case here--neither version can be considered objectively better.

Interestingly enough, the whole issue will be even more divisive soon, when the console version has several features that the PC does not, and the PC version gains a really cool seasons mode that won't be supported on console, due to an increased potential of cheating.

For those interested, here are the new console exclusive features, as taken from the official thread on NeoGAF:

snip

1) Wrong in the underlined part, then, but not wrong in the rest of the paragraph. I also think a "Just one: I already own the original on consoles and don't want to buy it again" and a "See Results" option would've been useful. There should really be a See Results option automatically included in every poll, if we're talking about it.

2) If you're getting that granular (and I'm no longer talking about D3 here because of point #3) then you're eliminating comparisons between versions of games altogether, which is dumb, because those comparisons are still useful. I'll refer you to my post from earlier for my reasoning there. Another example: Bayonetta (or Skyrim, etc.) was an objectively better game on 360 than it was on PS3, but saying "No it's not because I don't own a 360 therefore it can't be objectively better because the 360 disc doesn't work on my PS3 therefore the PS3 version is better for me" is asinine.

3) Those added console features seem pretty cool (especially Apprentice and Nemesis).

Your absolutely right that the 360 version of Bayonetta is objectively better than the PS3 version. They are completely on par with each other except for better colors and framerate on the 360. Diablo 3 is a different case alltogether. The controls are different and there are new modes that are not included in the PC version. They're different enough that it comes down to preference and whenever that is the case there is no more "objectively". If you own a 360 and a PS3 there is no reason to choose the PS3 version. If you own a PS4/Xbone and a PC that is good enough there are a number of reasons to choose one over the other.

Yeah, that's why I included the "and I'm no longer talking about D3 here because of point #3" part. I didn't know about the extra game features that they added (Apprentice and Nemesis are basically the ones that matter, and only barely, but if some people are super stoked for those then I'll give it to 'em).

I'll stand by that I think the PC version is the one to get (I'm assuming the console versions won't see a ton of patches, so if you're still playing in a few years the games have the potential to look wildly different again, including potentially adding the console-exclusive systems (they've already done it in the past with Loot 2.0)), but yes, with different features (I didn't know about the list @spaceinsomniac linked) you can't make an objective comparison. I do not think things like control scheme or which system you're playing it on can or should be taken into account when measuring the objective quality of versions against each other, because, again, everyone will have a preference one way or the other ("I like the PS3 controller more") and if you're including that in the equation then you could never have an objectively better version of a game ("the 360 version can't be objectively better because I have to use the 360 controller and can't use the PS3 controller"), when some versions that are objectively better absolutely exist (Bayonetta, Skyrim, etc.).

Ultimately this is all just a dumb argument over semantics.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By altairre

@ajamafalous: Controller preference is one thing, direct or indirect control of your character another. You play the game differently, it's as simple as that, they even icluded a dodge mechanic because of it.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will be the second time for me. I bought it when it first came out so I could play it on my first ever self built PC. I played one play-through and enjoyed it but started getting bored on my second. I'm hoping with Adventure mode and all the other new content I enjoy it for a longer period of time. I also prefer playing with a controller over a keyboard and mouse so that's why I decided on the PS4 version.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By planetary

Third for me. PC, PS3, PS4.

Harknett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

As a huge Diablo fan, I picked up the PC version of D3 on release day and loved it. I eventually grabbed D3 for PS3 on sale and was very pleasantly surprised. Picked up RoS on PC the day it came out and put another few hundred hours into it and then yesterday I grabbed D3: UEE for PS3 and am loving every minute of it.

Like a few others have said, it's a drastically different experience on console. While it's the same game at the core, I still continue to play both PC and PS3 versions depending on what I'm looking to get out of it. Hell, I'll probably pick up the Ultimate Evil Edition AGAIN when I eventually get a PS4.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I bought the PC version at release.

I will buy the expansion on PC at some point.

So, zero times? According to your poll?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Really like Diablo III. Just purchased the Xbox One edition.

Second time purchasing. Previously owned the 360 port.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can see why people didn't like Diablo III, but for me, I loved the game. I bought the PC version and played online with friends and had a blast. Then I bought the 360 version liked it more than the PC version (due to no AH and loot upgrades and couch co-op) and had a blast. They made all the changes the console version had with Reaper of Souls and loot 2.0 and bought that expansion and had a blast, and I'll do the same for my Xbox One and play that couch co-op.

I love the game, it's just a fun game that everyone I know can play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.