1.0.4. patch adds "Paragon System" to Diablo 3

#1 Posted by morrowjo (12 posts) -

Here is a link to the Battle.net article explaining the changes. Paragon System

I haven't logged on in about a month or so. After logging around 140+ hours and hitting a wall in Inferno, this seems like a great addition to bring me back to the game. Anyone else going to hop back on and try this out? What do you think of these changes?

#2 Posted by yoshisaur (2634 posts) -

Sounds cool, I'll have to give it a shot.

#3 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

@morrowjo: Similar situation as you (hundreds of hours put into the game, brickwall hit in Inferno), but really don't know if I'll return again. Darksiders II, Borderlands 2, and XCOM will (hopefully) keep me very busy this autumn. But yeah, those changes sounds pretty good.

#4 Posted by Humanity (8800 posts) -

Thats actually a pretty smart way to get max level people back in the game as you finally have a new goal that isn't just grinding out items.

For those that don't want to read the whole link: they've basically added 100 more "Paragon" levels after you get to 60 and each level will increase your core stats as well as magic find. Magic find is now capped at 300% which means that when you hit Paragon level 100 you will have reached 300% magic find and won't need to wear alternate MF Gear sets.

In addition you get an aura around your character and little graphical changes to the portrait that represent your paragon level.

#5 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -

This is what the game has needed from the start.

#6 Posted by Icemo (642 posts) -

Maybe I'll jump in again once I finish playing Borderlands 2 after it comes out. Sounds cool tho.

#7 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

Same! I got burnt out pretty badly early on after having like 3 60's within a week or two.

#8 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

It sure sounds like a step in the right direction. Between that and the 400% magic item drop boost, it sounds like you might wind up being a lot less reliant on the AH, which is great.

Is this live now? Might make a nice time killer while I wait with baited breath for Friday evening and Guild Wars 2.

#9 Posted by morrowjo (12 posts) -

@Silvergun: It supposedly goes live anytime from today through the 24th.

As far as the AH: I enjoyed/relied on the AH for keeping my gear up to date as I progressed through the difficulties. But endgame AH was a very different beast and proved to be too much for me. I had some friends who where we successful using it, but they ended up spending all their time in the AH buying/selling and I got bored quickly.

#10 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1590 posts) -

This patch gets better and better. They're really taking some big steps to make the game more fun. Can't wait.

#11 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

@morrowjo said:

@Silvergun: It supposedly goes live anytime from today through the 24th.

As far as the AH: I enjoyed/relied on the AH for keeping my gear up to date as I progressed through the difficulties. But endgame AH was a very different beast and proved to be too much for me. I had some friends who where we successful using it, but they ended up spending all their time in the AH buying/selling and I got bored quickly.

Well, the AH was kind of a double edged sword for me, and I think in retrospect, I didn't like it. While leveling, it made the content very easy. Not only did it ensure that I had high level (for my level) gear at pretty much any given time, but it made the stuff that was dropping pretty much useless. I think that conversation has been had a thousand times by now though so I won't get into it here. You're absolutely right about how it was at 60 though. I think that's part of what killed my interest, clicking buyout just isn't as rewarding as blowing something up and getting goodies.

Frankly, the whole idea of Nephalim Valor runs is a really good one and one of the areas where I think D3 improves upon D2, and if we're actually getting good stuff from it, then I think we're starting to get back to the stuff that makes Diablo so good.

#12 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Looking forward to this patch.

#13 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Haven't touched D3 in awhile too. I may get back and try it out since it seems aimed at people like us who stopped playing or got stuck at inferno.

#14 Posted by TheHT (10871 posts) -

Alright, that actually sounds like something that would bring me back.

#15 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I got two characters to 60 and at three more to at least 30 before getting completely burned out. The changes being made in near-future patches may just be what brings me back to D3.

#16 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (612 posts) -

i'll check it out when the patch is live. hopefully some of my friends will do the same so i have someone to play with.

#17 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Too late.

I really lost all desire to play, but this would have been great awhile ago.

Ah well.

#18 Posted by guiseppe (2837 posts) -

Sounds awesome, I just wish I could play it properly.

#19 Posted by Slag (3989 posts) -

meh Auction house for gear = me no play.

#20 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Time spent developing the game just doesn't make sense why things like this was cut out of such a short game. I might jump back into D3 later in the year to see some of the changes but I doubt it will do much to make me want to play more than a couple hours of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.