Anyone else just not excited about Diablo 3?

• 134 results
#1 Posted by RAMBO604 (137 posts) -

With Diablo 2 I probably put hundred and hundreds of hours into that game. For years when I was in high school pumped hours a day into it and during summer regularly would be up till 4 in the morning with my friends doing Baal runs like an idiot. I would have killed for a Diablo 3 then but 10 years later I'm just totally cool on the entire thing. I don't PC game any more and have a computer that could maybe just barely play it on lowest settings. I just feel left out of the club or something not being excited for something I used to love more than anything. Am I alone in this, anyone else just feel the distance between 2 and 3 just killed it for you?

#2 Posted by Bleshoo (128 posts) -

For the longest while, since D3 was announced actually, I wasn't that interested. However, when I had a chance to play the open beta, I knew I had to get this game!

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (14822 posts) -

I'm on that train. Im sure it's a good game but I dont see what makes it so different from all the other dungeon crawl RPG's.

#4 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

@RAMBO604: I'm with you man. I spent my youth on Diablo 2 and now... I kinda don't care lol I know it's gonna be a great game(maybe even a game of the year material) but I'm okay with not playing this game lol

#5 Edited by gamefreak9 (2359 posts) -

I was okay with waiting until the release date was announced. Then I got a little hyper with checking all the content that was coming out and after the Beta I can say i've NEVER been looking forward to a game as much as I am looking forward to D3.

@Demoskinos said:

I'm on that train. Im sure it's a good game but I dont see what makes it so different from all the other dungeon crawl RPG's.

Its partly that the mechanics are just so well thought out and the game just feels super balanced. Also i'm pretty sure no other non-MMO has such a great MP built in.

On the other hand even if I didn't like the Mechanics I would still know its better than anything else on the market because if it wasn't Blizzard would not release it.

#6 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

Nope, it's just you.

#7 Posted by Tesla (1921 posts) -

@RAMBO604 said:

I don't PC game any more and have a computer that could maybe just barely play it on lowest settings.

You might feel differently if you had a computer that could run the game well. I had only a passing interest in D3 until I upgraded.

#8 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Was mildly excited until I played the beta. Boring combat, mediocre graphics and the auction house have really put me off. I guess I'm just done with mindless dungeon crawlers.

#9 Posted by YI_Orange (1147 posts) -

I feel like I've seen this EXACT thread before...

#10 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (834 posts) -

I definitely see why people are obsessed with the Diablo games, but they're just not for me.

#11 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -

Not only am I not interested in it, I wouldn't be able to play it even if I was.

#12 Posted by p00rdevil (158 posts) -

I'm looking forward enough to have gotten my butt down to Gamestop and pre order. I want to play this game on the 15th. Not holding out a lot of hope that D III will be a better game than D II was, but I am willing to put my money down and find out!

#13 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

I don't care at all about Diablo III. I've almost come to a complete halt on gaming altogether.

#14 Posted by Cloneslayer (1627 posts) -

seeings as my only computer I have to play it chugged hard running the beta, no Im not too excited for it

#15 Posted by ShaggE (6451 posts) -

I'm not UNexcited about it, but I'm not yelling "PUT DIABLO III INSIDE ME NOW" either.

#16 Posted by Farley_Lives (278 posts) -

I happen to have a birthday on the launch date, so I'm a little bitter I can't have a party since everyone i know will be playing Diablo 3. That and I was hoping torchlight 2 would have been out by now.

#17 Posted by TorMasturba (1094 posts) -

@Gargantuan said:

Nope, it's just you.

Iit's him, me and a few other people too.

#18 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Yeah kind of...i mean i am sort of exited, but definitely nowhere near as excited as i was for Fallout: New Vegas.

#19 Posted by AgnosticJesus (544 posts) -

I'm glad you posted this, saves me some time. I was just getting ready to post a thread "Am I the only one not excited about Diablo III?"

#20 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I kinda am, its gonna be a great game to just pick up and play, murder some stuff and get some loot.
Totally in the mood for that lately.

#21 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@TorMasturba said:

@Gargantuan said:

Nope, it's just you.

Iit's him, me and a few other people too.

Sarcasm radar broken...

#22 Posted by Morningstar (2157 posts) -

I'm pretty excited.

#23 Posted by csl316 (8646 posts) -

I was hyped, but just lost interest about a year ago with that delay. I'll still play it, but I'm mostly concerned with how I'll make time for it.

#24 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I'm... looking forward to it. But mostly because a lot, i say, a lot of people are going batshit over it. Most of them aren't even gamers, they're just those dudes who only play Blizzard games and then move on with their lives. I think D3 will be fun, but nothing groundbreaking. I doubt it'll even be on the GOTY list, just like SC2.

That said, the D3 phenomenon is indeed particular. People aren't wanting it for its gameplay, but more for its nostalgia, because of how it shaped their ''gaming'' youth.

#25 Posted by TheRealJpoe (134 posts) -

I've never played Diablo before so I'm not that excited outside of curiosity. I purchased & kinda liked Torchlight. So if it's the same vein as that then I might pick it up down the road.

#26 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1665 posts) -

I only got into these types of games several years after Diablo II came out, so I never played much of it, but I'm pretty stoked for this game. I know it's a controversial change, but the revamped skill system is looking to be a HUGE improvement for me. Very happy to be done with the stress of locking myself into a decision. And to be able to try out every skill without penalty. I've heard complaints that this removes all the customization from the game, but that's simply not true. It just isn't permanent. It's like choosing what kind of clothes you wear versus tattooing your face.

#27 Posted by Superkenon (1430 posts) -

I suppose I'm not "hyped", but I'm excited to get a hold of it. Though, I probably wouldn't be if I didn't have a couple of friends that'll be along for the ride with me.

#28 Posted by Tennmuerti (8093 posts) -

I never liked D2 much. And was not really interested in the game. Then i played the open beta ... and got a hard on.

@Demoskinos said:

Design perfection. It's what Blizz excels at and it can be clearly seen here. I played Torchlight a year ago, and after the D3 open beta finished I decided to reinstall Titan's Quest as well. It was an eye opening contrast, D3 is on a completely different playing field from it's clones.

#29 Posted by believer258 (11895 posts) -

Not really, no. I haven't played either of the first two, and from what I understand it's just *click click click click* for hours on end. This does not sound fun. And loot doesn't grab me that well after a little while, either - Borderlands proved that to me.

#30 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

I'm excited, but my group of friends do not have gaming PCs and are stuck on consoles. The few people I do know who will play Diablo 3 aren't exactly close friends. It's really the only reason I play on consoles.

#31 Posted by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

I just feel that playing Diablo 3 is something I need to do for my younger self enjoying Diablo and Diablo 2.

#32 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I've got a huge Diablo lore-boner and anything that expands the fiction is like sweet, sweet candy crack for me.

#33 Posted by MrMuscle (447 posts) -

I always knew I was gonna play it, but didn't follow it closely. Then I tried the open beta and I was hooked. Can't wait for Tuesday.

#34 Edited by PenguinDust (12512 posts) -

I have no plans to pick it up until I upgrade my PC, so right now I'm not that excited. Why bother when I won't be playing it for a while? I played a lot D2 back in the day, enjoyed Torchlight and was hooked on Titan Quest, so I am into these types of game but, right now, I'm more interested in Dragon's Dogma which I can play on my PS3.

#35 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

I would be pumped if my pc could play it.

#36 Posted by BisonHero (6494 posts) -

I'm with you on this one. I'm just completely uninterested in Diablo 3.

I played a bunch of Diablo II back in the day, and had a blast (early high school for me). Then a couple years ago, I played Torchlight for about 60 hours, and it was such a barebones experiences that I saw through the facade, and realized I don't really have the time or interest for this pointless time suck of a genre anymore. I'm fine with not hitting level 99, I'm fine with not getting better loot/gear, and I'm fine with literally never starting at all. I'll play an RPG, as long as it's in the context of a narrative that actually goes somewhere and concludes (or at least has tons of places to explore like Skyrim).

Thanks for being such a mediocre game, Torchlight! You drastically optimized my life by making me realize I can safely skip every "action RPG" game that is any way like Diablo.

#37 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

I don't think im excited for any game coming this year, especially not diablo 3

#38 Edited by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@Cloneslayer said:

seeings as my only computer I have to play it chugged hard running the beta, no Im not too excited for it

Yup, it ran on my laptop but just barely. I will probably get the 360 version when that comes out,

#39 Posted by SarjuTheRapper (279 posts) -

that cartoon was pretty cool

#40 Posted by BisonHero (6494 posts) -

@Klei said:

That said, the D3 phenomenon is indeed particular. People aren't wanting it for its gameplay, but more for its nostalgia, because of how it shaped their ''gaming'' youth.

That's the crazy part to me. They have nostalgia for this game that came out a fucking decade ago. I'm sure they had all the time in the world to play D2 when they were younger, but who are these people in their 20s that are super jazzed to sink another like 300+ hours into D3? But maybe I'm an outlier, because I apply that same line of reasoning when looking at adults who choose to play one MMO for entire weeks of their lives instead of experiencing all of the other cool games out there.

There are just so many more equally good or better games I could be playing in the amount of time D3 would consume. For starters, Max Payne 3.

#41 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

Why the fuck are you spouting such complete Nonsense BisonHero? Now it's nostalgia out of the sudden?

Wasn't nostalgia the reason all the haters hate the game because it is NOT exactly like Diablo 2?

Either way, have fun with threads like these haters, I'll enjoy the game in the meantime (in a couple of days :P )

#42 Posted by sirdesmond (1240 posts) -

I'm more excited for Torchlight II honestly. Diablo III is just a less complex Diablo II from my experience with the beta which doesn't interest me much.

#43 Posted by Crono (2666 posts) -

Nah, I'm super stoked. The wait for the game is killing me and I haven't had a game able to give me that feeling in a very long time. I can play the game in 4 days and 11 hours from now and it feels like it will never come. Hell, on Monday they are letting us install the game in advance for the game's release (which is on Tuesday just to clarify) and I'm excited about getting to click "Install" even though I have to wait an entire day from that point to actually play!

#44 Posted by jacksmedulla (279 posts) -

@Cube: I know that feeling. I'd bet that will change once the next generation begins; game design has become very stagnant over the past 2 years. It happens at the end of every generation.

#45 Posted by jacksmedulla (279 posts) -

This will be my first diablo game, and my first blizzard game since Warcraft 3. I'm very excited, and I can't wait until Monday night.

#46 Posted by BisonHero (6494 posts) -

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

Why the fuck are you spouting such complete Nonsense BisonHero? Now it's nostalgia out of the sudden?

Wasn't nostalgia the reason all the haters hate the game because it is NOT exactly like Diablo 2?

Either way, have fun with threads like these haters, I'll enjoy the game in the meantime (in a couple of days :P )

I don't think it's nostalgia in everyone's case, but myself and apparently think it's a possibility that some people might be getting hyped for the game purely because they want to relive those glory days when Diablo 2 was the hottest shit around. That was the game that made the genre, and no one has done it quite as effectively since. Diablo 3 probably isn't going to be the gaming zeitgeist that Diablo 2 was (much like I don't expect any Zelda game to be as big of a deal as Ocarina of Time), but I'm sure a lot of gamers think there's a chance that will be the case. And regardless of whether it's a really big deal for years to come like D2, I'm sure D3 is going to sell extraordinarily well, if preorders are any indication.

Thankfully, my gaming friends and I have generally lost interest in action RPGs, so since I don't personally know anybody on-board the D3 hype train, I'm finding it incredibly easy to choose to not bother dropping $60 on it.

#47 Posted by SiegeMachine (30 posts) -

I recommend reading the interviews and gameplay explanations. It will become apparent that Diablo III is one of the most thought out games in a very long time. Gameplay gets more exciting and technical as you progress and get more abilities. It addresses issues that became game breakers in Diablo II, such as botting, greifing and duping. Try the starter edition, I believe it will be a free way to check out the game (correct me if I am wrong). If you care about polish and solid gameplay, the subdued graphics will not bother you after looking at them for hours and hours. I am more excited for this than any other game I can remember.

#48 Posted by Hunkulese (2721 posts) -

I'm kind of interested to see how people embrace it now that MMORPGs are a major part of the gaming climate because let's be honest Diablo has always been an MMORPG lite. Simple combat mechanics with a focus on running the same stuff over and over to win the phat loots.

#49 Edited by Tennmuerti (8093 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@Klei said:

That's the crazy part to me. They have nostalgia for this game that came out a fucking decade ago. I'm sure they had all the time in the world to play D2 when they were younger, but who are these people in their 20s that are super jazzed to sink another like 300+ hours into D3? But maybe I'm an outlier, because I apply that same line of reasoning when looking at adults who choose to play one MMO for entire weeks of their lives instead of experiencing all of the other cool games out there.

There are just so many more equally good or better games I could be playing in the amount of time D3 would consume. For starters, Max Payne 3.

Nostalgia has little do do with it imo. Some people just like dungeon crawlers and loot. Anyone who wanted to got the chance to try out D3 in open beta. People are loving the game and preordering it based on what they saw in the demo, not just nostalgia. A huge amount of dudes have never even played D2 (it was a while ago) especially the Blizzard fanclub mass from WoW. Personally just like you I found Torchlight boring eventually, but the D3 beta got it's hooks in me with a viciousness.

To me Max Payne seems like a bland boring shooter /shrug. Shooters are a dime a dozen. Dungeon cralwers are rare, and especially ones of any quality.

#50 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

I'm just amazed I get to say Diablo 3 is actually coming out in a few more days. Never thought the day would come.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.