Barbarian or Wizard?

#1 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

I'm going to try a new character and my choices are between barbarian or wizard. Is one better than the other? I already have a demon hunter. Thanks.

#2 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

Barbarians are the best now.

#3 Posted by Jace (1096 posts) -

If you have a demon hunter, i'd suggest Barbarian for a change of playstyle.

#4 Posted by StarvingGamer (8560 posts) -

Barb is the shiz and will probably teach you to play a lot more carefully which will carry back over to your DH.

Also Cluster Arrows are the best fucking arrows in the game now. Fuck Elemental Arrow.

#5 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1745 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

Barb is the shiz and will probably teach you to play a lot more carefully which will carry back over to your DH.

Barbarians playing carefully? WHAT IS THIS.

#6 Posted by Irvandus (2900 posts) -

Dem- oh already played one. Barbarian then because it's my favorite on the side character at the moment.

#7 Posted by Vager (1654 posts) -

Barbarian is really fun to play. You are pretty much like the Hulk running in and destroying everything in your path.

#8 Posted by joeyq (4 posts) -

Barbarians ftw !

#9 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

Are wizards good though? My demon hunter is only level 33, so maybe I should just focus on her?

#10 Posted by ajamafalous (12167 posts) -
@Raven_Sword said:
Are wizards good though? My demon hunter is only level 33, so maybe I should just focus on her?
Every class is good. I've got four 60s and cleared Inferno pre-1.0.3 nerf. Honestly, just play the class whose playstyle you enjoy the most.
#11 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

Well, the only way to find which okay style I enjoy most is to play every class. What level should I play them to so I get a good idea how they play and if I like it?

#12 Edited by laserbolts (5372 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@Raven_Sword said:
Every class is good. I've got four 60s and cleared Inferno pre-1.0.3 nerf. Honestly, just play the class whose playstyle you enjoy the most.

Jesus 4 60s? Just wondering what is your time played? I'm rolling a barbarian and I enjoy it.

#13 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

If youre rich with gold or have friends that can help with gear, barb. Otherwise it can get pretty depressing when you hit inferno for a while. Now that I've geared him up finally, I love my barb again

#14 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

@Raven_Sword said:

Well, the only way to find which okay style I enjoy most is to play every class. What level should I play them to so I get a good idea how they play and if I like it?

Someone once told me that the Skeleton King is a good point where you can reconsider your class if you have doubts.

#15 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

Barbarian is amazingly fun once you get around to 20.
Got a God of War like feeling from some of the moves (Ancient Spear) and their moves are insanely brutal.
Punching the skin of a worm's skeleton (they do so skeletons it seems) sold me on the class.

#16 Posted by Galiant (2195 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Punching the skin of a worm's skeleton (they do so skeletons it seems) sold me on the class.

I am not sure I understand this sentence. Could you clarify?

#17 Edited by M1M1C (68 posts) -

@Galiant: I think it was meant to be more like, 'Punching the skin off of a cave worm leaving but a skeleton behind, (they do have skeletons it seems, despite the fact that they are worms), is what sold me on the class.', but this time the comment didn't quite come out right.

But yeah I have really been enjoying electrocuting and disintegrating everything in my path so far as a wizard, you get a lot of options and i really think every class has been well thought out and crafted. I'm pretty interested in trying out a barbarian at some point as well (I also have a fairly low level demon hunter and witch doctor which I've also enjoyed playing as).

Why not just play both classes, unless it's a time thing and you dont want to dedicate that much to two separate classes?

#18 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -
@Galiant: A worm popped up next to my Barbarian in Act 2.
I turned around and hit it so hard that its flesh and skin just flew off, leaving only the beast's skeleton (worms usually don't have skeletons though) for a few moments until it shattered and dropped to the ground.
#19 Posted by Galiant (2195 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong:

@M1M1C said:

@Galiant: I think it was meant to be more like, 'Punching the skin off of a cave worm leaving but a skeleton behind, (they do have skeletons it seems, despite the fact that they are worms), is what sold me on the class.', but this time the comment didn't quite come out right.

I see, that makes sense. Thanks!

#20 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1602 posts) -

The Wizard is fucking awesome; so much combat complexity, dozens of ways to approach most encounters in that game.

#21 Edited by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

I'm crushing A1 Inferno as a Wizard. Being able to do DoT to pretty much everything on the screen coupled with a few "get-out-of-jail-free" abilities makes the Wiz my favorite class so far.

#22 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

It's just,I'm not sure if I can juggle 3 classes (my level 33 demon hunter, a barbarian, and a wizard) all at once. I fully expect to make all thee eventually, but I thought it was more plausible to do two at first (my demon hunter and then either a barn or wizard) Unless its not a big desk to juggle three at once?

#23 Posted by Samael2138 (233 posts) -

I have a lvl 60 Witch Doctor, but started a Barbarian last week, and even at lvl 34, I love my barbarian. He's the complete opposite of the ranged classes. You are literally jumping directly into the middle of mobs and just destroying them. Hitting Goatmen so hard their skeletons are knocked out of their skin. Decapitating corpses and watching their heads fly all the way across the screen. Not to mention their armor and weapons are just really awesome looking.

I've heard that gearing them for Inferno is stupid expensive, but right now in Nightmare, I'm having a blast with my Barb!

#24 Posted by Magnalon (3 posts) -

The fun thing about Diablo III is that every class is viable, especially after Patch 1.03. Many people said Monks weren't viable, but I've seen plenty of Hardcore Inferno videos that say otherwise.

Anyways, Barbarian is my favorite Hardcore class.

#25 Posted by ajamafalous (12167 posts) -
@laserbolts said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Raven_Sword said:

Jesus 4 60s? Just wondering what is your time played? I'm rolling a barbarian and I enjoy it.

Just over 248 hours. Honestly, hitting 60s not the hard part; two of my chars hit 60 in about 15 hours (you can cut it down to 4 if you get power leveled). That's kinda why I'm already done with the game; there's nothing left to do like in Diablo II.
#26 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

@ajamafalous: Wow, I've played for approx. 45 hours and I'm only level 44...

#27 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -

@Captain_Felafel said:

The Wizard is fucking awesome; so much combat complexity, dozens of ways to approach most encounters in that game.

But can the wizard jump into a crowd of goatmen and punch their skeletons out of their skins? Food for thought.

#28 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -
@MariachiMacabre said:

@Captain_Felafel said:

But can the wizard jump into a crowd of goatmen and punch their skeletons out of their skins? Food for thought.

Hey Wizard can do some neat stuff, but there's no real battle here right?
Either you shoot magic and stuff burns or disintegrates or you fucking murder everything that dares come close.

I know my choice.
#29 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Captain_Felafel said:

Hey Wizard can do some neat stuff, but there's no real battle here right? Either you shoot magic and stuff burns or disintegrates or you fucking murder everything that dares come close. I know my choice.

I chose Barbarian as soon as I realized he had Ancient Spear because fuck the Butcher and his Ancient Spear. What good do spears do when processing meat? The Butcher is bad at his job.

#30 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -
@MariachiMacabre:  Well truth be told Butcher is often in the business of hacking up moving meat.
The spear does have its uses, but its kinda awesome you can use a boss' ability as a class.
#31 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@MariachiMacabre: Well truth be told Butcher is often in the business of hacking up moving meat. The spear does have its uses, but its kinda awesome you can use a boss' ability as a class.

Yes, that ability is idiotic amounts of entertainment.

#32 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Even though I only have a level 30 wizorb...wizard rather, and it is incredibly fun and stupidly powerful so far, I'd say go Barb for the different play style.

In fact, this thread as convinced me to start a Barb myself

#33 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -

I just started a Barbarian (level 22 now) and have been dual-weilding mighty weapons so far. Am I doing it right? I know Hell and harder I'm going to have to use a shield but for normal and nightmare would I be better off using a 2h mighty weapon or can I stick with this combo?

#34 Posted by ajamafalous (12167 posts) -
@valrog said:

@ajamafalous: Wow, I've played for approx. 45 hours and I'm only level 44...

Once you get the first char to 60, the rest come pretty easily because you understand all the mechanics of what you're up against and how to best prepare for/face those things.
#35 Posted by TheHT (11839 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

Also Cluster Arrows are the best fucking arrows in the game now. Fuck Elemental Arrow.

how so?

#36 Posted by StarvingGamer (8560 posts) -
@TheHT Well with Sharpshooter you can aggro a pack, use Caltrops to stack them on top of each other, then fire 2 Cluster Arrows really quickly with 100% crit chance. When grouping with my Barb friend in Act I most enemies melted before he had a chance to swing.

I was critting for 100k per arrow frequently + whatever bonus damage from the secondary explosions. That's over 200k damage as my opening salvo. I'm sure it would be even better if I used a 2h Crossbow but I prefer bows because the attack speed is the perfect balance for the way I kite.
#37 Posted by TheHT (11839 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

@TheHT Well with Sharpshooter you can aggro a pack, use Caltrops to stack them on top of each other, then fire 2 Cluster Arrows really quickly with 100% crit chance. When grouping with my Barb friend in Act I most enemies melted before he had a chance to swing. I was critting for 100k per arrow frequently + whatever bonus damage from the secondary explosions. That's over 200k damage as my opening salvo. I'm sure it would be even better if I used a 2h Crossbow but I prefer bows because the attack speed is the perfect balance for the way I kite.

yeesh. i'll give that a try. i do really enjoy spamming elemental arrow, but i'm quickly getting to a point where having fun is no longer the combat itself, but just killing shit ASAP.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.