Barbarians: Dual wield or two hander?

#1 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

I've been dual wielding for the whole game mostly because I haven't found a good two hander, so I'm wondering if anyone has been using two handers.  Are they better or worse than dual wielding, or are the two equal?

#2 Posted by happypup70 (172 posts) -

The way I see it is if you equip a two-hander and it increases your DPS then use it.

#3 Posted by Korosuzo (174 posts) -

I go 1 hander and shield but what do I know...when I tried going 2-hander I was taking too much damage and the 1-hander does about 2 less dps so it's not a huge loss.

#4 Posted by SockemJetpack (408 posts) -

I decided to test out the Barb today to get the feel of it and to me at least a sword and board with cleave, rend and stun was super effective.

#5 Posted by StarvingGamer (8254 posts) -

It really depends on playstyle and what skills/passives you're using. DW fast weapons are ideal for a Birthright Barb but a slow/beefy 2h might work out better on a WW Barb.

#6 Posted by JoeMarsden (304 posts) -

From my experience so far (Act 2 Barb), dual wielding seems to be the way to go. Even if a two-handed weapon does more damage/more DPS, I prefer faster fury generation as I'm pretty much constantly using my skills. Not to say I'm right or anything, but I've had great success and a whole lot of fun!

#7 Posted by MrMuscle (447 posts) -

I generally switch depending on what drops i get. Right now its a 1h and shield and liking the survivability boost a lot.

#8 Posted by MB (12430 posts) -

Do weapon speed and crit/proc chance have anything to do choosing 1h vs 2h like they did in games like Titan Quest?

I only just started and don't know shit about Diablo, but if you're looking for crits or magic weapon procs then faster would probably be better, leading to more 1h weapon use.

#9 Posted by IBurningStar (2173 posts) -

Currently alternating between sword and shield and dual wielding. I tried out two handers and found them to feel a bit too sluggish for more liking.

#10 Posted by gamefreak9 (2359 posts) -

I found DW to be the way to go... sure the two hand does more damage... but if you count in the skills its more damage overall doing DW. Also I beat butcher at level 12 with dual wield, kept stunning with bash.

#11 Edited by Tennmuerti (8109 posts) -

@MB said:

Do weapon speed and crit/proc chance have anything to do choosing 1h vs 2h like they did in games like Titan Quest? I only just started and don't know shit about Diablo, but if you're looking for crits or magic weapon procs then faster would probably be better, leading to more 1h weapon use.

Crit chance applies to all your attacks and spells and you are almost always like 99.9999999% of the time using your abilities not a standard attack. However weapon speed and by extension DW will make all abilities come out faster so yes you will get more crits, they will just be lower dmg. There are certain builds that benefit from a lot of crit procs, but there are also many more that don't care about crit at all.

Advantage of slower weapons is that they make spells skills do more base damage, so are nice for one off big spells.

#12 Posted by el_tajij (712 posts) -

2hander + Cleave = BODIES BE FLYING CROSS THE BATTLEFIELD

How can you possibly go for anything else?

#13 Posted by Addfwyn (1927 posts) -

I play hardcore, so I go 1-hander and shield. I want as much survivability as I possibly can get.

#14 Posted by Sweep (8865 posts) -

@Addfwyn: Attack is the best form of defence.

#15 Posted by ichthy (517 posts) -

Sword and shield is what I played through normal with.

#16 Posted by Shoobs (29 posts) -

The conclusion I came to was that dual wielding means faster fury generation whilst two hander means higher damage on abilities but slower swings.

#17 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

Depends. While I search for good gear between my clan friends on our first run through's ive just mainly been going with 2-handing or sword and shield. Once I get deccent gear...dual wield and whirlwind is the only way to go

#18 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

I've been using a 2 hander for a bit, and I am generally liking it more than dual wielding.

#19 Posted by pweidman (2337 posts) -

Got a pretty good shield very early, so I'm rolling shield and onehanders. The survivability factor, plus attack speed, and fury regen, and skill spam equals more fun imo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.