Beta requirements final?

#1 Edited by MatPaget (1121 posts) -

So, I was wondering if the beta system requirements are indicative of the final system requirements?

I want to get a laptop for my work and what not, but then I watched the Beta Quick Look for this and my heart was filled with nostalgia. I really want to play this now, so I'm probably going to get something that can accommodate Diablo III as well.

And could anyone suggest a laptop that could handle the recommended requirements?

My limit is around $1000.

#2 Posted by MatPaget (1121 posts) -

Anyone?

#3 Posted by Seedofpower (3940 posts) -

What are the beta requirements?

#4 Posted by MatPaget (1121 posts) -
#5 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

What sort of laptop would you get that wouldn't handle it?

Maybe look for something with an i5 and a 560M.

My brother just bought a Sager for school and to play a good amount of games.

It really depends what you need for work though.

#6 Posted by MatPaget (1121 posts) -

@Doctorchimp: I'm a journalist going through school right now and a Netbook isn't exactly ideal (what I'm rollin' with right now).

My work is basically writing, so all I need is a nice keyboard. I also do light music recording, but I doubt I'd use the laptop for a lot of that. Probably just scratch recordings.

#7 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

@MatPaget said:

@Doctorchimp: I'm a journalist going through school right now and a Netbook isn't exactly ideal (what I'm rollin' with right now).

My work is basically writing, so all I need is a nice keyboard. I also do light music recording, but I doubt I'd use the laptop for a lot of that. Probably just scratch recordings.

Well if you're going to be doing some multimedia stuff on top of your writing, you might want to think about investing some change into it.

Were you think about going Mac? What sort of budget are you looking at?

#8 Posted by MatPaget (1121 posts) -

@Doctorchimp: I was thinking of a Mac, but I don't really need one. I've been fine with Windows for all of my music so far and I don't really see a need for change. Nor do I really have the money for the price tag.

I really like Windows 7 though and would prefer just to stick with it. I don't know if I'm being naive or something. Computers are confusing as hell to me and at times I find MacBooks incredibly attractive and other times I feel very comfortable with Windows.

#9 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1489 posts) -

blizz is very good about making there games scale, my 6 year old dell runs SC2 for fucks sake, so I would be shocked if DIII required a crazy machine to run

#10 Posted by MatPaget (1121 posts) -

@Dizzyhippos: Yeah, I've noticed that. Just taking proper precautions though! I'm sure it won't be the only game I play on my laptop though, so I should probably think about getting a powerful one.

#11 Posted by Eurobum (247 posts) -

Gaming laptops have been really conflicted in the past, since they had to combine low power with high performance. Althought CPUs that can scale their voltage and frequency depending on the workload, have been around with core i and AMD LIano. Graphics card would still consume too much.

An amazing technology is available now that can switch between the high power discrete graphics card and the low consumtion integrated graphics card on the fly.

That's an amazing achievement, not available on macbooks yet i think.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4839/mobile-gpu-faceoff-amd-dynamic-switchable-graphics-vs-nvidia-optimus-technology

#12 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

You could build a desktop that would nuke those requirements from orbit (it's the only way to be sure) for that price. Does it have to be a laptop?

#13 Posted by MatPaget (1121 posts) -

@Ravenlight: I would prefer it to be because the portability is what I need for work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.