Blizzard admits to manipulating drops to encourage AH usage

• 63 results
#1 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149013410

While the RMAH isn't up (and apparently isn't going to be up for a while), I don't really see this as a problem but when real money becomes the only practical way to get drops in the game it feels kind of dirty to me. What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

I can see why this is bad but as someone who doesn't really use the AH this is really only a good thing for me.

#3 Posted by EXTomar (4943 posts) -

Is this a problem? They do the same sort of adjustments in WoW where if they notice items or drops aren't being used they tweak it. I would rather see the game world with an even distribution items, which includes the auction house.

#4 Posted by CaptainCody (1521 posts) -

To be fair it does make sense, which to some extent is why I feel items should be BINDED. This shit is going to truly hit the fan when the RMAH hits though.

#5 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

How evil?

Whatever, I placed an item up for sale not in the real money auction house. Not going to do that.

#6 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

This is good for the people trying to make money off of the RMAH. However, this is pretty bad for people like me that is trying to complete everything without having to worry about the AH. If this game is going to be wrapped around the RMAH, then there's no point in playing just to complete everything. They're just going to turn everyone into loot farmers.

#7 Posted by Turambar (6894 posts) -

But lowering drop rates when one can spread items around incredibly easily does make sense, especially when most items are not account bound.  Spinning this in the direction of "greedy Blizzard" is possible.  But aside from that (though more likely in addition to that), that move is necessary.

#8 Edited by danmcn12 (86 posts) -

They aren't lowering drop rates to make money on the AH. If they raise drop rates items would be dirt cheap and everyone could gear up on the AH easily. They're basically cutting supply to raise the prices on the AH. They've said their intentions have been that people can buy maybe 1 or 2 items on the AH and not simply gear up entirely.

#9 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

this wouldnt be a problem if the people using the auction house weren't complete idiots . unfortunately they are and prices are totally out of whack for almost any kind of top tier item (including super low level legendarys etc..) sure peopel are buying alot fromt he ah but i assure you there are 10x more items sitting there untouched because they are either too high priced or just lost in the 10 pages of blue items that people legitamately duped (vendors sell the same junk repeatedly) etc.. etc..

this item inflation directly affecting in game drops (if thats the case) is pretty fucked up , ive played solo and im in act 1 inferno , im not really that far behind in gear but i cannot for the life of me get a decent drop

0 legendary item drops , thousands rotting on the ah .. gg bliz the economy already tanked

#10 Posted by freakin9 (1171 posts) -

As someone who plays on a screen too big to read the text I have no idea what the fuck I have on let alone what I would want.

#11 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Looks like they're doing what they need to do to preserve the economy, and keep the game interesting. Can't exactly fault them from learning from the mistakes Diablo 2 made.

#12 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

Maybe im not understanding this correctly but are they saying they are lowering drop rates for people that dont use the AH or people who use the auction house? or is it that drop rates have been lowered across the board, either way i still get bags of loot and i do typically tend to sell the best of the best on the auction house because i like to use that money for crafting items which i use or in turn sell.

#13 Posted by Redsox44 (487 posts) -

I just bought two Intelligence rings for about 50k gold and they're no where to be found, not in the completed list or anywhere. Hopefully they show up soon but I'm staying away now.

#14 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

@buft: The way I read it is that they're raising or lowering the drop rate for items for ALL USERS based on how that item is currently selling in the Auction House. I could be wrong, though.

#15 Posted by Voxus (349 posts) -

I'M CALLING THE VIDEOGAME POLICE

#16 Posted by redefaulted (2829 posts) -

How is this really news?

Judging from some of the responses, everyone seems to be an analytic genius and predict the future. Everyone is going to

#17 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

Blizzard are basically masking microtransactions through the auction house. It's actually a pretty smart way to go about it but it's not like microtransactions haven't been done before.

#18 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Isn't this just called balancing?

#19 Edited by Xeirus (1370 posts) -

No shit they change the drop rates....... how dense can people be.

It's only negative if you think it is. Supply and demand, learn it.

Edit: After reading the comments on that link I'm glad some of those people have a brain.

#20 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -

I like how nobody on GB's freaking out about this. Very docile of you guys. I'm having a hard time gathering an opinion of it since I don't own the game nor do I currently play a Blizzard game. But it does seem like if Blizzard wanted to, they could artificially raise demand for certain items and get more of a % in the real action house.

#21 Posted by Turambar (6894 posts) -
@Redsox44 said:

I just bought two Intelligence rings for about 50k gold and they're no where to be found, not in the completed list or anywhere. Hopefully they show up soon but I'm staying away now.

The AH is lagging quite a lot right now.  It's been doing so all day, but it's especially bad right now.  Give it a few hours and you should see the stuff pop back into Complete tab.
#22 Posted by Turambar (6894 posts) -
@familyphotoshoot said:

@buft: The way I read it is that they're raising or lowering the drop rate for items for ALL USERS based on how that item is currently selling in the Auction House. I could be wrong, though.

They said that the existence of a distribution method like the AH is a factor in balancing drop rate.  Nothing was stated beyond that.
#23 Posted by ColinWright (741 posts) -

Seems reasonable. 

#24 Posted by Mcfart (1728 posts) -

@Jams said:

I like how nobody on GB's freaking out about this. Very docile of you guys. I'm having a hard time gathering an opinion of it since I don't own the game nor do I currently play a Blizzard game. But it does seem like if Blizzard wanted to, they could artificially raise demand for certain items and get more of a % in the real action house.

How's this any different then the LOL developers released OP heroes (read:Nocturne) and making more money from sales off that?

#25 Posted by coaxmetal (1657 posts) -

this is fine, what im worried/curious about is how the RMAH will affect the gold auction house. I'm hoping not much, and that only crazy people use the RMAH, but what if a lot of the trading for good shit migrates to that? That would be annoying.

#26 Posted by ajamafalous (12154 posts) -

I'm glad they are after the shithouse the Diablo II economy became.

#27 Edited by Turambar (6894 posts) -
@Jams said:

Of course they can do that.  Any and every online game can have that be done to them.  But what's posted in OP does not in any way speak to that.  It states that the AH is a factor in considering drop rates due to it's role as a distribution route.  That's nothing ground breaking, and is something any MMO team takes into account.
#28 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

Okay. I'm going to go back to punching demons in the face.

#29 Posted by planetary (355 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

Okay. I'm going to go back to punching demons in the face.

Word.

#30 Posted by ajamafalous (12154 posts) -
@Riboflavin said:

this is fine, what im worried/curious about is how the RMAH will affect the gold auction house. I'm hoping not much, and that only crazy people use the RMAH, but what if a lot of the trading for good shit migrates to that? That would be annoying.

That's what I'm worried about as well.
#31 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/wmaustin55/blog/

I’m by no means a purist, but something about not having to fight and find any of your good gear seems…cheap. Like, it just doesn’t really feel like it’s in the spirit of Diablo. Which, fine, just find all your loot, right? Well, I would but…it’s almost starting to seem to me that Blizz is intentionally holding back the drops in Normal and Nightmare to funnel players into using the auction house system. Perhaps setting them up to get used to using the auction house for when actual currency AH starts and Blizzard starts taking their cut. Too sinister? Perhaps, but it’s smart.

Welp. Looks like my paranoid concerns were correct. fuck that. seriously. Its gold...now but they want us to spend money and are keeping the items from us so we'll do it. god danit, blizzard, wasnt 3.5 million on the first day enough?

#32 Posted by Renahzor (1001 posts) -

I don't see the big deal here. At the end of A1 inferno, my gear is about 50/50 drops and AH. I've sold probably 100-150 items on the AH, and bought a couple dozen over the course of the game when I needed to. Regardless of the drop rates, there's plenty of people selling stuff, you can find a good deal on what you need if you're patient. That won't change with the RMAH launch.

Looking at D2, all they're doing here is legitimizing the cash trading of items that game revolved around. The really good/well rolled items are going to sell for a lot on the RMAH (or blackmarket sales sites), and there will be a varying degree of other stuff on the lower end RMAH as well as the gold AH. The ability to sell gold for cash with the AH will make sure there's always some stuff on the gold AH, and you don't need 100% optimal pieces to progress in Inferno.

#33 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

I don't see anything wrong here other than maybe a slightly hyperbolic headline.

This seems more like an overview of the systems behind drops than any sort of conspiracy.

#34 Posted by happypup70 (172 posts) -

@Jams said:

Why would I freak out about this. I enjoy Diablo 3. It is just a game. Eve Online has manipulated it's real money exchange for years now. In the grand scheme of things it is not really important. I don't even know if it is backhanded based on the post. More than that it is only a matter of time until every person who wants to play this game long enough will have level sixties with every class. They didn't make the process that hard. I think they are limiting the perfect items. All that does is make them more rare. So in response yes they can and will manipulate the random drops in order to make more money. Blizzard is the new Vegas baby.

#35 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

@Jams said:

Why would people freak out? People that pay gold or money for certain items are getting what they paid for. How is that wrong?

#36 Posted by Zithe (1040 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

Pretty sure all that blue post says is that they are keeping drop rates down across the board since the AH provides a very efficient way of spreading that stuff around in the economy. In other words, if everyone was able to find all of the legendary items they needed on their own, the AH would be unnecessary and the prices there would be super cheap, thus ruining the economy. They are just trying to find a balance where the gear you need is not stupid easy or stupid hard to come by.

#37 Posted by Toxeia (725 posts) -

The real story is that Blizzard said when the RMAH launches the gold-based AH is being removed from the game, and every time you craft an item or combine gems they charge your credit card.

#38 Posted by Xymox (2115 posts) -

it’s almost starting to seem to me that Blizz is intentionally holding back the drops in Normal and Nightmare to funnel players into using the auction house system?

There are more inhibitors in place. Noticed this the first time I re-fought a boss. First time, yellows, next couple of times, blues if lucky.

#39 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -

Its very logical of them to factor it in, they've had some experience with WoW and how some of the Bind on Equip items from new content (not to mention crafting recipes and such) can possibly go mental on a AH.

I really love the way its presented though, makes Blizzard look like the bad guy!

That said, I've been doing Inferno act 1 for a bit now and all I keep finding is lvl <60 items and everything in act 2 kills me when I look at them, so I do understand people's thoughts on this.

#40 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

It's no different from how MMO's make certain items rare, in order to have them sustain a certain value in the economy. I'm not really seeing why anyone would freak out about this.

#41 Posted by BigChickenDinner (761 posts) -

Jesus if the OP is freaking out about this imagine when he finds out about the EVE online economy.... amirite?!

#42 Edited by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot: Nowhere in that reply did Blizzard say that. They're just admitting it's not completely fucking random when it comes to loot and they'll be looking at everything and keeping the economy in check, from drops, to AH, and RMAH.

And guess fucking what? I am GLAD Blizzard admitted to keep an eye on the loot as time goes on between all the loot systems in their loot game where I'm trying to get some cool loot.

@Jams said:

The problem with this brilliant Ivy League MBA business strategy would be A) how easy it is to spot and B) Loot doesn't spawn in the Auction House. Loot still spawns in the world.

Also C) people might just grab all the easy loot and just start making classes that cater to that easy ass loot they already got and make characters for it.

Imagine if people got some cheap Wanga Dolls and started over from scratch to make Witch Doctors with the best loot in the game. Then Blizzard would see the price on the Monk shit get lowered as witch doctor items went up in price and people would buy that up and put it back on their original monk characters. The way they set the classes up pretty much ensure this. Spec for the loot you have. Not the other way around.

The system will work itself out; if Blizzard were to try some things to get like a few more dollars on items they will fuck themselves. Remember Blizzard only has control on how loot drops in the actual game.

At most I see them dial it back on items that clog the auction house, and the items where there's scarcity they will increase. Simple shit to make sure things don't go sideways.

#43 Posted by golguin (4045 posts) -

I don't play Diablo 3, but I do understand supply and demand. It sounds like Blizzard changes the drop rate on items to influence how many are available at the auction house and in turn try to get people to set a certain price. It's pretty interesting when you consider random people have to decide the value of any given item without anything to go on. Eventually certain price ranges will emerge for items based on rarity and stats and those numbers would theoretically change when Blizzard constrains or expands the drop rate.

I don't see the part where we wear tin foil hats.

#44 Posted by Jimbo (9993 posts) -

The game exists to support the auction house, not the other way around.  Decisions will be lead primarily by what effect it has on the auction house.

The real fun will start if/when people figure out (if) they're manipulating drops on a 'per player' basis.

#45 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

@Xeirus said:

No shit they change the drop rates....... how dense can people be.

#46 Posted by TheHT (11785 posts) -

@danmcn12 said:

They aren't lowering drop rates to make money on the AH. If they raise drop rates items would be dirt cheap and everyone could gear up on the AH easily. They're basically cutting supply to raise the prices on the AH. They've said their intentions have been that people can buy maybe 1 or 2 items on the AH and not simply gear up entirely.

That sounds reasonable to me.

#47 Posted by Jayesslee (105 posts) -

I'm telling on you!

#48 Posted by AndrewB (7689 posts) -
#49 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

@Xymox said:

it’s almost starting to seem to me that Blizz is intentionally holding back the drops in Normal and Nightmare to funnel players into using the auction house system?

There are more inhibitors in place. Noticed this the first time I re-fought a boss. First time, yellows, next couple of times, blues if lucky.

That was already in Diablo II the case and it's just there so that you don't just do boss run after boss run to get insanely good item. After beating a boss the first time, it shall feel great and rewarding. So for the first time you get a higher chance of nice loot.

@topic

I'm very positively surprised by the amount of reasonable replies. Especially after the pathetic, hyperbolic headline I expected the worst. There is an ingame auction house and there are a crapton of auction houses outside (people do of course already use eBay (stupidly successfully I'd say >.<)).

Acting like there wouldn't be an auction house would be devastating for the economy.

#50 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Trading is part of Diablo III now and RNG loot generation reflects that.

Doesn't mean I find sub-lvl-60 drops in inferno any less wrong.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.