Boxed or Download

#1 Posted by JCGamer (663 posts) -

Just wondering if there is any particular reason to buy the boxed version of Diablo III? I know that even if you get the boxed version, you can attach the key to battle.net and have access to the downloadable client. I got the Start Craft II boxed copy with the thought that it might have a cool book or something--but it was pretty much useless. You guys know of anything that would make you choose the boxed version over just downloading it?

#2 Posted by Floppypants (798 posts) -

Blizzard's boxed games come with a notepad.

#3 Posted by Unchained (1081 posts) -

I have the Collector's edition on Pre-order, as I like the Collector Editions Blizzard puts out. If it wasn't for that, I'd get the digital version. 

#4 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

I'd get digital for sure if I wasn't getting the CE. If only to have it pre-loaded so I can play it as soon as possible.

#5 Edited by HadesTimes (804 posts) -

download, pre-loaded, can't wait! :)

#6 Posted by Korolev (1709 posts) -

My brother is buying the physical collector's edition. I don't understand why, exactly, but hey, it's his money!

I'll just get the digital version. I can't see why I'd ever need to buy it physically.

#7 Posted by Talksin (39 posts) -

@Unchained: ditto

#8 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

I'll probably download it, if I can ever figure out how to get back on my Blizzard account. I forgot my password and I had an authenticator on an old phone that I don't have anymore. I have no idea what to do about it.

#9 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Boxed, because I have all Blizzard games in a box and would like to continue that collection.

#10 Posted by MentalDisruption (1639 posts) -

I got boxed for the collectors edition, but otherwise I probably would've went for the download. I find downloading to be more convenient more often than not nowadays.

#11 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1546 posts) -

I got a CE pre-ordered. I'm probably gonna sell the WoW and SC2 vanity items to recoup some of the costs though.

If you have no plans to purchase a CE, get it digitally.

#12 Posted by ZNine (12 posts) -

Personally, when it comes to paying full price for either, I go with a box. I just feel I get slightly more for the money, and something physical to hold in my hands. Besides, Blizzard's boxes are pretty nice and come with some nifty little stuff.

Sure, you probably won't be able to play when servers go live, but I generally can't do that anyways due to work, and at least it should install faster with a disk in the system.

#13 Posted by el_tajij (712 posts) -

I've bought the CE version from amazon and will probably buy the digital version if I have the 14 and 15th off so I can play it at midnight! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

#14 Posted by gamefreak9 (2359 posts) -

Me go out? digital.

#15 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

It's cheaper to buy it in a store than directly from Blizzard so I'm going to buy a boxed regular edition.

#16 Posted by Sinkjaer (31 posts) -

Where I am the boxed version is 25-30% cheaper, so it's not a hard choice.

If the price was the same I would still pick the boxed version, because I like to get something physical that can be seen, touched and put on the shelf.

Only pro with the download version is that I can be ready from hour one after release, but thats irrelevant. I gotta work and will properly just wait till the following weekend before I dive in.

#17 Posted by StarvingGamer (8287 posts) -

Boxed because I'm getting the CE.

#18 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (901 posts) -

Seeing how it will cost me about 1/5 less to buy a boxed copy from an online retailer, I think I will do that. Got plenty of other things to do if I have to wait for one or two extra days.

So boxed. Still kinda wanting the Collectors Edition as well, but I must stay strong!

#19 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -
#20 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

If you don't get the box of a BLIZZARD game of all developers, something is really wrong with you!

#21 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

no steam no sale!

#22 Edited by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

Boxes? What is this boxes you speak of? Is it a new character class?

But seriously, when was the last time anyone bought a boxed PC game? That's like taking away the number 1 advantage of the platform.

#23 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

a sandboxed game?

#24 Edited by Giefcookie (605 posts) -

Boxed because its 18euros (23$) cheaper than getting it from Battlenet.

#25 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

£28 boxed on Amazon vs £45 digitally from Blizzard.

I tend to prefer digital games these days, but you'd have to be crazy in this case.

#26 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

@Giefcookie: Where do you shop games online?

#27 Posted by Binman88 (3687 posts) -
#28 Posted by TobbRobb (4666 posts) -

I LOVE BOXES!

I EXTRA LOVE BLIZZARD BOXES!

FUCK YEAH! BOXES!

#29 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

I got a preorder from Newegg with $10 off, so boxed for me

#30 Posted by antime (104 posts) -

€60 for a digital copy from Blizzard, €35 for a physical copy from Amazon. I don't know what the fuck is going on but that is not how it's supposed to work.

#31 Posted by Pr1mus (3936 posts) -

Blizzard is one of the last company that put some effort in making great boxes, even for their regular editions.

#32 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7098 posts) -

@Unchained said:

I have the Collector's edition on Pre-order, as I like the Collector Editions Blizzard puts out. If it wasn't for that, I'd get the digital version.

This sums up my situation as well.

#33 Posted by Commisar123 (1793 posts) -

When I get it download for sure, it's just easier

#34 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

I put in for the WoW annual pass, so digital standard here.

#35 Posted by probablytuna (3684 posts) -

I like boxes.

#36 Posted by Barrock (3540 posts) -

Collector's Edition because Blizzard makes sexy Collector's Editions.

#37 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

Box because boxes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.