Coop Behavioral Tips

#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Any tips for a coop newb? What to do, what not to do? A common sense what's what?

Just played my first round of coop today, because I wasn't able to open an own game - due to the European Battlenet choking on Sunday traffic (they're down and out now). It went quite well. Didn't speak a word though. No 'Hi there!' or anything. I guess that's where I went wrong to begin with.

Naturally I looted all the craploot, as per usual - and naturally, I had a full bag after a while and went to sell my crap and repair my gear. Of course that's when the other dude left without a comment thereafter. So the first social lessons learned when PUG-ing Diablo III, don't loot crap and at least say 'Hi!' and 'Full bag - going to sell my shit!'.

Also - there's emotes on the num block. Do pick up group people register and respect those in coop play??

#2 Posted by Maginnovision (485 posts) -

Don't use the emotes unless you know them, or test them first(the people). Some people get annoyed. I found this out when I used them for everything, it was fun but they seemed to get annoyed, at least that's what they said. Also yea, defintely don't pick up anything but blues or better, because your bags will fill up WAY too fast. I think alot of people avoid chatting though, just takes away from loot time. Just join say hey and see the response. Obviously some people are less afflicted by loot lust than others. If you're in a group with people who like to aoe, DONT KNOCK MONSTERS BACK. I was in a group the other day where this monk kept knocking all the monsters away from our barb and made it take so much longer. Last thing is have fun and don't be afraid to leave a game and try another if you don't find the way they play fun.

#3 Posted by Gravier251 (217 posts) -

Yeah people generally don't seem to say much and anything less than blue loot wise is a waste of time. Even in nightmare the white/grey loot sells for about 8 gold or something terrible like that while enemies drop up to about 100 or more. Sometimes people are more talkative, but for the most part they just seem to wordlessly come and go at random.

#4 Posted by shiftplusone (48 posts) -

If you're that concerned about the cash that you're picking up the crappy loot, just sell 1 blue instead of scrapping it. They're worth like 150 and that's way more than you'll ever get from selling a bag full of non magic gear

#5 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@shiftplusone said:

If you're that concerned about the cash that you're picking up the crappy loot, just sell 1 blue instead of scrapping it. They're worth like 150 and that's way more than you'll ever get from selling a bag full of non magic gear

Who in his right mind salvages loot anyways. Selling it all at the vendor. Only the best gear gets put in the AH, and cheap at that, since I prefer a high turnaround - being capped at 10 simultanious auctions. There's always more loot to be put up for auction.

Pushing crafting is a level cap thing in my eyes. Stopped crafting altogether at around lvl 20, because buying stuff from the auction house proved to be way more effective and cost efficient - since I don't need to build anything to level up crafting either, I don't hamstring myself at all by waiting 'til I hit max level.

And no, I'm not 'that concerned' with cash. I was just used to picking everything up while playing solo. I doesn't hurt me much to take a minute long break every so often. It's just not how things get done in coop - naturally. That's what I was saying.

#6 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

Just ask their play style. Played with from the beginning of Act 3 to the end of the game yesterday and it was great because we both agreed on a slower playthrough and filling in the whole map before moving on. Just always communicate if you need them to hold up for a minute while you check gear, change skills, town run, bathroom. etc..

#7 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Make the game better, be social.

#8 Posted by Mister_V (1219 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Thats pretty hard when you are playing with randoms. I just created a Witch Doctor on the american servers as the EU outage is preventing me from playing my main, I opened my game up and got a full party straight away but not one person who joined said a thing. It's pretty boring when people don't interact.

#9 Posted by Gaff (1661 posts) -

It's kind of weird having to make these rules of conduct explicit (they're so common sense), but anyway:

• Don't be a dick: don't run around pulling everything, don't trigger everything (events, quests, boss fights). It's his / her game you're joining, let him / her set the pace.
  • You don't have to be chatty, but do communicate when you need to do something like emptying inventory, repair, toilet breaks, etc. Don't forget that Diablo 3 scales enemies' strength to the amount of players in a game. You're making his / her game harder by joining and running off without prior notice is kind of impolite to say the least.
  • While Diablo does instance the loot drops for each player (preventing ninja-ing), it still is very much a loot, and RNG, driven game. You're only getting INT gear and you happen to be partying with a caster? You could drop / trade some items. You know, because it's a nice thing to do.
  • Don't sabotage someone else's play style. For example: ranged characters, while low on defence, can lay waste to enemies far away. What's the other player supposed to do?
  • Last but not least: help the other player.

I might've missed something, and I haven't dived into co-op Diablo a lot, but... It doesn't seem much different from other online multiplayer games? Or real life?

#10 Edited by pweidman (2307 posts) -

Stay together, don't run off. Send an initial friendly positive message. Get excited by loot and let your party hear it. Trade/drop goodies if you can. Say something funny. Do all that...and you're in mate.:)

#11 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

Just leave the game if they aren't playing how you like lol.

#12 Posted by Grillbar (1798 posts) -

i never say anything unless they say something

if they say hi i answer hi when i need to sell or repair i say it, if i get revived i say thx. and when i need to leave i say.

some just leave some also get disconnected and dont wanna join again so that might also be the case

if they talk alot i sometimes join in but its really not a big deal

#13 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@Mister_V said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Thats pretty hard when you are playing with randoms. I just created a Witch Doctor on the american servers as the EU outage is preventing me from playing my main, I opened my game up and got a full party straight away but not one person who joined said a thing. It's pretty boring when people don't interact.

So be the social one and keep talking, next time as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.