Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

D3 Performance Tips.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Panpipe

Finally got in to the game after about 58 minutes of pasting passwords in to the EU server. Played for an hour and the game really feels great.

I'm a little concerned with the performance though. I've got a top end 2011 iMac and yet I'm only getting about 20 FPS at 1080p on high-ish settings. I turned down all the settings to low and now I can get about 40-50 fps, but frankly I'd expect a lot better than that with everything on low.

Does anyone have any tips, or think something might be up with D3/my system? I can play Witcher 2 on this PC with pretty high graphics at 1080p so it's no slouch.

Here are my specs: OS X 10.7.4, 3.4Ghz i7, 12GB ram, Radeon HD 6970M. These are way higher than the recommended specs.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

Yeah i can run BF3 on Ultra at 1920x1080 at 50-60 fps, yet Diablo 3 is frequently dipping into the 30s region for me (even tho the beta was silky smooth)

Peety

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Peety

Very strange. Those are some great specs (especially for a laptop).

Obvious suggestion would be to update graphics drivers. Also, try running the game full screen if you're running windowed. I've had issues in other games where that caused major fps issues.

Found an article that may have some answers (not familiar with macs so I'm not sure if this is useful): http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/game-running-slow-or-choppy-mac

Also: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-lockups-and-crash-troubleshooting-mac

You probably found those, but I'm out of ideas.

Good luck!

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Panpipe

@Tennmuerti: Beta definitely played smoother. I played the beta Windowed with higher FPS than I'm getting now in Fullscreen.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By BrockNRolla

Is it possible that this has anything to do with the server load?

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By spiceninja

I have a Radeon HD 4670, Dual Core CPU at 2.2Ghz, and 4GB of RAM and I ran the beta just fine on high settings. Blizzard's games always scale well. The low performance might be because of server overload.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Brunchies

It's probably server overload, you could also try windows a little bit later if you want since Blizzard games perform a little better on their because of video drivers.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tennmuerti

I'm on PC with 2x6990s and yea D3 constantly keeps dropping FPS into noticable area, this was defiantely not the case in the beta.

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By destruktive

@Tennmuerti: that's probably because of crossfire. You should download RadeonPro if you don't all ready have it and experiment with crossfire profiles. I'd start by trying to set it to Alternate Frame Rendering which helped me with the beta.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Panpipe

Just wanted to update to say that performance improved massively over night. Now over 60 FPS with everything on high.

Either it was the server playing up or a reboot fixed it.

filmfanatic24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By filmfanatic24

I'm having similar issues. I'm getting massive FPS loss this morning on a pretty decent (I think) iMac.

Specs:

iMac - 3.1 GHZ i5 - 12GB DDR3, Radeon HD 6970M 1024, 10.7.4 Lion

It usually does really good with games, not ultra on everything but really high settings. Yet, I'm running Diablo at:

1920x1080, High Texture Quality, Medium Shadows, High Physics, Medium Clutter, AA, and V Sync

I don't know how to turn on the FPS counter but it's not running smooth at all.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By mosdl

Be sure to update to the latest drivers.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By cloneslayer

man, my laptop chugged during the beta, getting only like 20fps on low. I though the full game would be optimized a little better so that I could pull it off but (even though I meet all the minimum requirements) I guess I'm not getting this one....

recently I played the Darkness 2 and KOA:Reckoning on my laptop so I dont see how that works out.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I'm sure it's lag/server load as opposed to your actually specs on computer. I'd say just wait until they can improve it on their end, I mean this game is nowhere near demanding as your other games you've mentioned. 

filmfanatic24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By filmfanatic24

@mosdl said:

On a Mac? wut

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By mosdl

@filmfanatic24 said:

@mosdl said:

On a Mac? wut

Don't play games on a mac, common!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Bobby_The_Great said:

I'm sure it's lag/server load as opposed to your actually specs on computer. I'd say just wait until they can improve it on their end, I mean this game is nowhere near demanding as your other games you've mentioned.

Nah before it was a pure FPS issue, not latency i had Fraps running

Right now I have installed new drivers and cleaned up some stuff and after a reastart D3 now chugs at a 60fps at all times. Yet due to the game being serverside i get hitches from time to time, but the fps remains at 60.

Wallzii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Wallzii

@filmfanatic24: As everyone else has already said, it may have something to do with the current server load. Regardless, if performance doesn't get better, I'd suggest lowering shadows down a few notches, and definitely disable AA. At 1080p resolution, it shouldn't make that much difference visually unless you are looking or it.

PolyesterPimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PolyesterPimp

ok but how are we seeign our FPS's ingame? is it the same as SC2? CTRL and F i think...?

filmfanatic24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By filmfanatic24

@Wallzii said:

@filmfanatic24: As everyone else has already said, it may have something to do with the current server load. Regardless, if performance doesn't get better, I'd suggest lowering shadows down a few notches, and definitely disable AA. At 1080p resolution, it shouldn't make that much difference visually unless you are looking or it.

Ok will do. I figured out how to get FPS count up and at 1080p I'm running around 70 but I get these weird spikes where it drops all the way down to 4. Perhaps that is some sort of server issue.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@mosdl said:

@filmfanatic24 said:

@mosdl said:

On a Mac? wut

Let's not have this argument please!!

Wallzii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wallzii

@PolyesterPimp: I'm not sure if there is native support to display your frames per second in D3, but I've always used Frapsto display frames in any game I've played.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Panpipe

@Sweep said:

@mosdl said:

Let's not have this argument please!!

Thank the maker.

@Wallzii said:

@PolyesterPimp: I'm not sure if there is native support to display your frames per second in D3, but I've always used Frapsto display frames in any game I've played.

It's Ctrl + R or CMD + R on a Mac. FPS should display in top left when you're playing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.