Diablo 3 2.0.1 patch (Loot 2.0) launches today

• 72 results
#1 Posted by Rustafur (97 posts) -

It's happening!!!

Get fired up, duder!

Will this get you to get back in, or is it too little too late?

#2 Edited by EXTomar (5021 posts) -

Never really left. :)

#3 Posted by Tennmuerti (8238 posts) -

Yeah, I've already tried out the loot 2.0 on the ptr, it's been great. But now I'm waiting for RoS to not burn out on D3 early.

#4 Posted by Immortal_Guy (133 posts) -

I'm probably not going to play a huge amount without getting Reaper of Souls proper, but it's definitely moving in the right direction. I sort of burned out on the original game, so improved drop rates alone won't bring me back, but if the rest of the expansion package is good then I'm in. I don't get super into the end-game of these sorts of RPGs, so the slightly scummy nature of the real money auction house and the low set/unique drop rates are pretty much the only criticisms I'd level at Diablo III. I mean, I played that game for around 70 hours and never saw a set item once...

#5 Posted by HelicopterSpy (159 posts) -

Oh dip. I didn't know this. I gotta go!

#6 Posted by Cincaid (3048 posts) -

I'm in Sweden, so I (probably?) won't get the patch until Wednesday, but I'm really looking forward to this!

Have anyone taken upon them to create a GiantBomb clan? Or maybe there are too few here that are playing the game?

#7 Posted by juice8367 (464 posts) -

Sweet. I didnt think it was going live till reaper of souls came out

#8 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2259 posts) -

What's the big deal with this?

#9 Posted by BambamCZ (151 posts) -
#10 Edited by Tennmuerti (8238 posts) -

@rollingzeppelin said:

They are removing the AH, meaning you have to find your gear again and not get like 99% of it from sitting in the AH (for higher difficulties anyway). At the same time they are implementing a similar loot drop rates that the console releases got, increasing chance of good drops etc.

But more importantly a lot of loot that drops is now "smart", it tailors some of it's stats to be relevant to your character class when it drops, meaning less garbage drops. Making it easier to gear yourself by yourself decently. Finally and this is key, a lot of the legendaries and sets now have very unique ability modifiers that can change how you build/play your character, from just a bit to going with a completely different build. You can now tailor your build/playstyle to the gear your find, allowing for much more variety and trying of different things, rather then just sticking to the optimal gear from AH of optimal builds.

When the expansion comes there will also be an enchanter NPC, that allows you to re roll certain item stats and further tailor them to what you want.

#11 Edited by Chaser324 (6949 posts) -

Awesome! I only did one play through when D3 was originally released, so even if I don't buy the expansion, this might be enough to encourage me to play it again. The demo I played of the Xbox 360 version was definitely far more generous with the loot drops, to the point that I almost bought a copy of it rather than waiting for the rebalancing to come to PC.

#12 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2259 posts) -

@rollingzeppelin said:

They are removing the AH, meaning you have to find your gear again and not get like 99% of it from sitting in the AH (for higher difficulties anyway). At the same time they are implementing a similar loot drop rates that the console releases got, increasing chance of good drops etc.

But more importantly a lot of loot that drops is now "smart", it tailors some of it's stats to be relevant to your character class when it drops, meaning less garbage drops. Making it easier to gear yourself by yourself decently. Finally and this is key, a lot of the legendaries and sets now have very unique ability modifiers that can change how you build/play your character, from just a bit to going with a completely different build. You can now tailor your build/playstyle to the gear your find, allowing for much more variety and trying of different things, rather then just sticking to the optimal gear from AH of optimal builds.

When the expansion comes there will also be an enchanter NPC, that allows you to re roll certain item stats and further tailor them to what you want.

Awesome thanks. I got bored of diablo after I reached the desert area, this might bring me back.

#13 Posted by Cincaid (3048 posts) -

@rollingzeppelin: Well to be honest, if you got bored after playing through only one act I'm not sure any kind of patch would make you happy. Maybe it's just not for you.

#14 Posted by EXTomar (5021 posts) -

You could have completely ignored the AH before this patch and tried to grind out the gear but the issue is the drop dynamics where so poor that it was never worth it. It kind of sucked the fun of finding anything where even a couple of times I found a legendary item and went "oh" and threw it in the stash and never took it out.

#15 Edited by Zirilius (825 posts) -

@rollingzeppelin said:

AH is still up till the 18th. They just implemented the new loot system which means better loot for those of us still playing.

#16 Posted by Scrawnto (2488 posts) -

Hmm... I haven't played since the month the game released. I'm curious as to how much it's changed. I'll probably give it another run.

#17 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2259 posts) -

@cincaid said:

@rollingzeppelin: Well to be honest, if you got bored after playing through only one act I'm not sure any kind of patch would make you happy. Maybe it's just not for you.

I wasn't really bored while playing it, I just didn't feel compelled to run the game after the last time I played.

#18 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6757 posts) -

I played this game when it was shitty for a really long time, and am thus compelled to not play it, we'll see how long that holds up though.

#19 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12573 posts) -

I think I'll wait for Reaper of Souls before jumping back in. My one demon hunter is at such a level where he might as well play through Act V on normal.

#20 Posted by alanm26v5 (543 posts) -

Cool, I know what I'm playing later tonight. I was going to ask if anyone had made a Giant Bomb community or clan, but looks like the servers aren't up for another 3 hours at least.

#21 Edited by Atwa (696 posts) -

Wait, loot 2.0 is out already? I might actually download and try it out.

#22 Posted by ichthy (642 posts) -

I was under the impression that RoS was going to decrease drop rates, but make them more meaningful. Or is that only for legendary items?

#23 Posted by Tennmuerti (8238 posts) -

@ichthy said:

I was under the impression that RoS was going to decrease drop rates, but make them more meaningful. Or is that only for legendary items?

It decrees overall sum total of drop rates combined, that is grey/white/blue/yellow/orange loot total is less yes. (in effect this means less trips to the town to get rid of your shit, also less clicking to pickup loot) But the proportion of useful items is much greater. The drop rate of "good" things has been increased. And white/blue items are now very necessary to pickup too, in order to break them down into materials you need for crafting, which has also been made useful. On ptr I actually went out of my way to loot the weapon and armor stands that drop grey/white items as they are the only way to get certain materials to craft.

#24 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

I beat it on normal when it came out, maybe it is worth giving another shot on the higher difficulties.

#25 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3182 posts) -

I'm not sure if this will bring me back in earnest. Too little, too late. I would still rather play Diablo 2.

#26 Posted by Subjugation (4779 posts) -

Will this have a meaningful impact on the brick wall you used to hit around act 3 of inferno? I remember the difficulty ramping up significantly and just getting stuck (solo).

#27 Edited by alanm26v5 (543 posts) -

@subjugation: Depending on when you played last, Inferno had been adjusted down to be a more smooth and reasonable curve. They added a monster power system that you could use to bump up the difficulty higher too. But more importantly, in 2.0, they got rid of the normal > nightmare > hell > inferno static difficulty progression. Everything's dynamic to your level now, and you can select a difficulty at any point, though the later ones might require you to get to beat the game once on any character or get to 60 first.

Also just based on the gear I found in my short time on the PTR, I had meaningfully upgraded every slot pretty quickly, even though I had gotten stuff off the gold AH in the live game previously.

#28 Posted by StarvingGamer (8894 posts) -

Hmmm maybe I'll go back in and gear up my DH some before RoS comes out

#29 Edited by pweidman (2409 posts) -

Played the PTR for more than a month before it shut down last night. Loot 2.0 is an improvement for sure. Looking forward to improving my characters on live before RoS. BTW, the latest message says there are some issues w/hardware and the patch won't be live until at least 8:00 PST.

#30 Posted by TobbRobb (4987 posts) -

WOO! I wanna try this pretty damn bad! Been totally looking for a game like this recently, and here we have a familiar contender! :D

Monk my baby, let's saddle up again.

#31 Edited by Wampa1 (809 posts) -

People still playing in the UK? If so I'll be back into it as "Foodcricket"

#32 Posted by JJWeatherman (14789 posts) -

So who's going to start the Giant Bomb clan? Because I'll totally join.

#33 Edited by alanm26v5 (543 posts) -

Okay the game's live. Anyone in the US region down to make a community or clan?

#34 Posted by JJWeatherman (14789 posts) -

Okay the game's live? Anyone in the US region down to make a community or clan?

I've made a community called Giant Bomb Dot Com. Join if you'd like! We should also have a clan.

#35 Edited by HelicopterSpy (159 posts) -

Sat down to check it out for like 20 minutes or so. Looked up 2 hours later. Sure is Diablo. Got some pretty cool new stuff including a legendary, so loot 2.0 success!

#36 Posted by spiralcut (133 posts) -

Wow... Is all I have to say. Combat feels far more visceral, abilities seem to hit harder, and the loot actually makes sense for my toons. 2 legendaries in just as many hours, perfectly suited for the toon they dropped for. The items really do feel far better than they did previously, I've replaced most of my old sub-optimal gear (non-AH) with random drops from elite enemies.

Additionally they have simplified crafting, with two levels of crafting resources and numerous rare reagents required to craft different items. Makes it feel like each item is more unique. The crafting also produces items that are suitable for your toon, generally including primary stat bonuses on crafted items.

Finally, Gems have been modified to make more sense, stats have been shifted around between the XP+ and such other secondary stats. Feels less critical now to substitute primary stat gems for secondary ones on crucial pieces of gear.

#37 Edited by noizy (777 posts) -

Damn. I'm lost now. What is Paragon? No more Inferno, you can set your difficulty right from the start? Cool. Played for 5 minutes in normal and got a few wands that weren't total shit. I'm gonna jump back in tonight and do another run. I had fun playing Diablo, and cleared Infenro. I might get roped into the new expansion. Damn.

#38 Posted by Forcen (2111 posts) -

Any reasonably active EU player that could create a Giant Bomb community? Would be nice with a gb chatroom when the expansion hits.

#39 Posted by Corvak (1195 posts) -

Stoked to get into the game again. Played some co-op on a friend's PS3, and I was loving it compared to the old PC loot system.

#40 Posted by Seppli (11233 posts) -

Sound great. Will likely give Diablo 3 another shot when it comes out on PS4. Would be a sure thing, if it came out day and date with the PC version.

#41 Posted by VeggiesBro (160 posts) -

@jjweatherman: I'd be down for this. Especially on PS4 when it comes out. But in the mean time, I also have it on my Mac.

Is it just as simple as typing /join Giant Bomb Dot Com?

#42 Posted by spiralcut (133 posts) -

@veggiesbro: For the Clan, just hit N, they type BOMB.

#43 Posted by Zirilius (825 posts) -

New system is awesome. As someone who has two 60's and a a moderately decent geared Barbarian the changes are welcome. I was able to solo most of act 1 on Torment level 2 with a couple minor tweaks to my build. Can't wait to get in and try this with some buddies.

One little subtly that I saw they slipped in is you no longer need to identify items anymore.

#44 Posted by VeggiesBro (160 posts) -
#45 Posted by KoolAid (1126 posts) -

So far the new difficulty feels really nice for me. The game felt slower, in like a good way. Less random mindless clicking unless you turn it way down.

Does anyone know how the difficulty scales when you are in a party with like pretty different levels?

#46 Edited by MB (13777 posts) -

@chaser324: Yeah, the new loot model and what not is so much better. I started D3 on PC but did try out the 360 version when it came out. After a few days with 2.0 I never wanted to go back to vanilla D3 until the PC version got patched, it really is that much better. I didn't even mind playing with a controller, in fact I almost preferred being able to relax on my couch and play some Diablo.

Anyway, this is a good reason for me to reinstall D3 again.

edit...the install from the Blizzard launcher is 25 freaking gigs.

Moderator Online
#47 Posted by ichthy (642 posts) -

Can confirm loot 2.0 working as intended. 200+ main stat and vit on practically everything. I'm not even salty about the harsh nerfs to barbarians.

#48 Posted by Rustafur (97 posts) -

Looks like WW Barb was nerfed to the ground to balance for end level play. What are my fellow Barbs running now? Is the Revenge build back?

#49 Posted by Mercer (210 posts) -

I'm freaking BACK baby. Finally getting some great drops for my starving Monk and DH

#50 Edited by MB (13777 posts) -

So awhile ago my girlfriend was (and still is) totally obsessed with D3. I had stopped playing just before the Paragon system was introduced...she didn't. Fast forward about six months and she wanted to play some Diablo together...but my Monk was a fresh 60 and her Demon Hunter was at Paragon 95 or something crazy like that and had essentially all the best gear. She was playing at max monster power on the hardest difficulty and there was just no way I could jump in and play with her, and for her, playing at my difficulty level was just too easy and boring. She decided to level up my monk.

Fast forward to today with the release of 2.0.1 on PC. I logged into D3 and my Monk is now stacked with a ton of awesome gear, a few paragon levels, 200k gold, and all of the stash tabs unlocked. :D

The only downside is that it's been so long, I forgot how to play. It's like a different game now.

Moderator Online

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.