Diablo 3 Developers React Angrily to Dave Brevik Interview

• 126 results
#1 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

Site seems to be unresponsive/under load, cached version here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/diablo-3-developers-react-angrily-to-dave-brevik-interview

I agree with most of what was said in the interview they are referring to. I understand these people have spent years of their life working on this game, but lashing out in this manner towards someone that is partially responsible for your current job and salary (see: Diablo 1/2) is idiotic. On a related note, are any of you still playing Diablo 3? What do you think of it now that it's been out for a while? Note: I don't mean to perpetuate drama for the sake of it, this just seemed out of character for Blizzard.

#2 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

In development for 6 years... Of course the game is a disappointment.

#3 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

What a bunch of babies.

#4 Posted by Terramagi (1158 posts) -

Man says "game sucks shit" in the most tasteful way possible.

Blizzard flips a shit, attempts to destroy indie studio.

God I love this shit.

Also I've used shit in every line.

#5 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3116 posts) -

Game developers do love to flip the hell out at criticism these days. The sad part is that it seems like the dude is being more than reasonable about it, and didn't do anything remotely deserving of a round-table of Blizzard employees shit-talking him.

#6 Posted by Binman88 (3691 posts) -

Such petulance from those developers. Unable to take criticism or ignore it if they think it's unjust? "Fuck that loser" is an inappropriate response either way. And falling back on the "well, what have you done motherfucker?" excuse is shameful, really shameful schoolyard bickering from apparent professionals.

#7 Posted by TruthTellah (9475 posts) -

I can understand them not taking it well, but a few of those responses were definitely not necessary or appropriate. Maybe they have some more history with Brevik(I imagine Jay Wilson probably does); so, there may be more to the story as far as why they responded so forcefully. Still, it's unfortunate they decided to act like that on Facebook where they knew it would just get out there. If you're going to have a little fit, at least keep it to yourself.

Shame they can't get along; happens all too often in the industry.

#8 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

One can only assume PR will give them a stern talking to.

Bunch o' dicks.

#9 Posted by Brake (1130 posts) -

I think all of these people have just been invited to the First Annual Blizzard Fun Camp of PR Management.

#10 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

Man says "game sucks shit" in the most tasteful way possible.

Blizzard flips a shit, attempts to destroy indie studio.

God I love this shit.

Also I've used shit in every line.

What? Never in my life have I seen such an exaggeration o,,o

#11 Edited by beepmachine (617 posts) -
#12 Posted by Daneian (1251 posts) -

Jay Wilson's 'Fuck that loser' is the end of Diablo 3 for me. The more I hear about how the D3 team has handled themselves since release, the less likely I will be to play any of their games ever again. It's all seemed so fucking petty and petulant.

#13 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

@dennisthemennis said:

I think the lesson we can all take from this is: stop using facebook.

Agreed

#14 Posted by Nentisys (893 posts) -

Wow, that was a pretty epic overreaction from a bunch of fucking babies. Dude simply disagreed about D3 game design in an interview, didn't smacktalk or anything these guys blow a fucking gasket.

Hilarious in a way.

#15 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

A game for kids made by a bunch of immature brats. Makes sense to me.

#16 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

Could it be... that the popular opinion on Blizzard is about to change to something rather negative? For what seems like forever they, along with Valve have been up there as huge companies that everyone loved.

#17 Posted by MildMolasses (3229 posts) -

So blizzard employees are not allowed to use their personal fb accounts to express their frustrations to each other? Makes sense to me

#18 Edited by TruthTellah (9475 posts) -

Yipes, maybe Wilson is finally showing his true monstrous form..!

#19 Edited by JackOhara (227 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

So blizzard employees are not allowed to use their personal fb accounts to express their frustrations to each other? Makes sense to me

Who said they aren't allowed to?

#20 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

@JackOhara said:

@MildMolasses said:

Well probably Blizzard if it's something that gives a negative view on their company and... well the internet. This shit's blowing up everywhere. Big, big time.

#21 Posted by thehuntsmen5434 (436 posts) -

I stopped enjoying Diablo III a week after it was released. I was completely unaware it had so much backlash since then. I even made a topic in the Diablo III forums around the time it came out. Haven't looked at it in awhile.

#22 Posted by pweidman (2364 posts) -

LOL, obviously the truth hurts...apparently a lot. Wilson's tweet is so symbolic of this whole debacle w/D3. Just wow.

#23 Posted by Fattony12000 (7568 posts) -

C'MON BLIZZ!

#24 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

@JackOhara said:

@MildMolasses said:

Well probably Blizzard if it's something that gives a negative view on their company and... well the internet. This shit's blowing up everywhere. Big, big time.

The original FB thread is still up, so I don't know if Blizzard is going to ask them to censor themselves or not. We'll see I guess.

#25 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

That interview is pathetic. The answers are fine but the questions are incredibly biased. It's clear they didn't like D3 and are trying to get this guy to shit on the new game.

#26 Posted by ashenozzie (23 posts) -

Well I didn't read the interview since the site appears to be down, but I will say this: If they are happy with the way diablo3 turned out, then they should consider work in a different trade.

#27 Posted by Brodehouse (10130 posts) -

Poor Blizzard guys, they have no experience with anything other than overwhelming praise. This must be a frightening development for them.

#28 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Poor Blizzard guys, they have no experience with anything other than overwhelming praise. This must be a frightening development for them.

I bet were very disappointed when they say an average of 88% on metacritic :D The rage!

#29 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

Fucking neckbeards raising pitchforks over somebodys facebook comments between friends.

Im off the internet for the evening - y'all kicking up a fuss are too crazy

#30 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

@OmegaPirate said:

Fucking neckbeards raising pitchforks over somebodys facebook comments between friends.

I just think it's kind of interesting to watch unfold, I don't mean to fan the flames at all. It's funny when you think about that, to put this ordeal into perspective, when one of us fucks up at work we don't have half the internet talking about it.

#31 Posted by Class_A_Ninja (55 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

It isn't company email or texting. The original interview is how you shit talk in a public venue.

#32 Edited by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -
@ashenozzie said:

If they are happy with the way diablo3 turned out, then they should consider work in a different trade.

Considering the untold millions of copies sold, yes, they should be happy with the way it turned out. Ire from disappointed fans is barely an annoyance in comparison to all the D3 cash that's flowing into Actiblizzion's coffers. It's sad, but it's true. 

EDIT: I'm still enjoying Diablo III (chewing my way through Act II Hell at the moment) and am looking forward to 1.0.4. However, I did not play any of the previous Diablo games, so I have been unable to relate to many of the community's complaints re: dumbing down, decrease in quality, etc.
#33 Posted by CheapPoison (742 posts) -

Ye i feel this is uncalled for.

If someone has gripes with your game you can't dismiss it. Sometimes they are worded poorly but.

#34 Edited by Marz (5671 posts) -
#35 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

@JackOhara said:

@OmegaPirate said:

I just think it's kind of interesting to watch unfold, I don't mean to fan the flames at all. It's funny when you think about that, to put this ordeal into perspective, when one of us fucks up at work we don't have half the internet talking about it.

Yeah, i guess i was a little harsh in my reaction too (i get the hypocrisy) but it just baffles me that people go up in arms about this stuff. The world is going to keep turning whether you notify 0.65% of the internet that this facebook image kills diablo 3 for you.

Don't get me wrong i'm not trying to pull a 'nothing matters everything is shit' kinda deal here, but some of these comments from people saying they are entitled to kick off about this and calling for the death of peoples careers and tarring entire swaths of employees at a company with the same brush over a cut together facebook screencap that has no effect on them in any way, shape or form, nor is it any of their business? - Just kinda wish the internet would get a little perspective sometimes before bringing the popular circlejerks out

#36 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

To be honest, it's refreshing hearing what they really think. I guess some people love PR sanitization, but I'm not one of them.

Also, it's pretty unfair to say Diablo 3 is a bad game. I've made the analogy that it is to Blizzard what Cars was to Pixar. It wasn't a bad movie, but coming from the guys who made stuff like Toy Story, it wasn't up to their usual quality. They went on to make Up. It's not like they're at the point Bioware is at where all their most recent releases have been pretty severely flawed.

#38 Posted by ashenozzie (23 posts) -

@BaneFireLord: Now let me ask you this, how many of those copies sold were from players that had been waiting for years since the last game in the series came out? You know, the good one.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't enjoy diablo3, if you do then hats off to you. However, in the inevitable comparison to diablo2+lod it falls short in every way you can think of. The loot is bad, the skills are bad and the bossfights is like bossfights in wow gone bad.

#39 Posted by Turambar (6898 posts) -

This thread is kind of funny, and not because of the D3 team.

#40 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

@Turambar: Care to elaborate?

#41 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

I love how the guy barely even criticizes the game. He pretty much stated facts and then gave some reflection in his comments, and then these morons flip out.

#42 Posted by salavaster (23 posts) -

I lol'ed when i read it. Is it really so bad that the diablo 3 developers raged on Dave Brevik Interview? It's kind of funny. Also, how come no one has actually brought up how Dave Brevik in the interview is kind of wrong about the itemization being the primary problem? Auction house/lack of end game progression maybe, but stats on items? I'm pretty sure he has no idea what he's talking about aka bandwagoning. Just saying.

#43 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

@ashenozzie said:

@BaneFireLord: Now let me ask you this, how many of those copies sold were from players that had been waiting for years since the last game in the series came out? You know, the good one.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't enjoy diablo3, if you do then hats off to you. However, in the inevitable comparison to diablo2+lod it falls short in every way you can think of. The loot is bad, the skills are bad and the bossfights is like bossfights in wow gone bad.

Are you serious? I'd bet my ass that people who play Diablo 3 first will consider Diablo2(+lod) an insanely huge backstep.

#44 Posted by Turambar (6898 posts) -

@JackOhara: Some of the game devs said dumb things, so the game is dead to me, raaaaawr!

#45 Posted by Gumby (229 posts) -

@salavaster: Have you played Diablo 2? There are way more stats and effects that make items way more interesting than in DIablo 3.

#46 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

The D3 team is angry that a friend talked shit about their game during an interview where the questions were disgustingly skewed? Diablo 3 is dead, Blizzard is dead, video games are dead. It was a bullshit interview and I can understand their frustration. Oh yeah and they're using their personal FB accounts so they didn't do anything wrong. They maybe could have been more careful with their words, but everyone has done something like this before.

#47 Posted by salavaster (23 posts) -

I would say the game play in diablo 3 is more fun because its simpler and easier to understand than in diablo 2, but in diablo 2 there was a point to getting really good items in order to level. There's no real challenge left in beating diablo 3 over and over at the end game. I don't see how adding stats that are more interesting will help diablo 3 since the level caps at 60?

#48 Posted by kindone (2833 posts) -

Here we go again.

#49 Edited by JackOhara (227 posts) -

@Turambar: I've only seen one person in this thread say something similar to that. I think the majority of people had already made up their mind on whether they think D3 is 'dead' to them or not. This event just compounds the loss of so-called 'customer goodwill' towards Blizzard, meaning fewer return customers.

#50 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Man, there's no middle ground with Diablo 3. It's either be second coming of Christ or an unholy abomination that will wipe out mankind.

I never felt that strongly on either side of the spectrum. Maybe there's something wrong with me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.