Diablo 3 framerate spikes

#1 Edited by Cloneslayer (1626 posts) -

By all means my computer should run Diablo 3 perfecly fine and I even found a youtube video of a computer with the same video card and a worse processes and less ram running the game fine on all high settings. Yet I still get massive frame-rate hikes any time I attack even with all settings on low and the and the resolution turned down. I will be walking around at an consistent 60fps then it stutters every time I do something. I can tell Im barley using 20% or my processor or ram while running the game (though I dont know how to check anything else).

So, is anyone else experiencing this (a quick scan of the blizzard support forums produced nothing). I mean I hear people are running this smoothly on a mac book air for gods sake.

#2 Posted by Death_Burnout (3796 posts) -

Did you check your latency? I noticed today I was getting framerate problems when I previously had none at all, and I noticed for the first time I had around a 200 or so latency, usually it was around 53. I was disconnected shortly after.

So I think latency problems, brought on by the servers right now I imagine, causes severe hitching that resembles a low fps. Or something, I don't know dude...all of this is so silly, but that's another topic in countless other threads >.>

#3 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

That's a framerate drop, not a spike. What's your video card, and have you updated to the last drivers for it?

#4 Edited by Cloneslayer (1626 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

That's a framerate drop, not a spike. What's your video card, and have you updated to the last drivers for it?

ya, i realized I used the wrong word, but you cant edit the topic name (as far as I know)

its an ati radeon mobility HD 5650, and i got an i5 m540, and tons of ram. my hard drive is kinda crappy could that be why?

and of course all drivers are up to date

#5 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Cloneslayer said:

@Ravenlight said:

ya, i realized I used the wrong word, but you cant edit the topic name (as far as I know)

its an ati radeon mobility HD 5650, and i got an i5 m540, and tons of ram. my hard drive is kinda crappy could that be why?

and of course all drivers are up to date

Your video card isn't on Blizzard's list of cards that need a hotfix, so you're good there. And it's probably not your HDD unless it's completely full. I doubt this would be the issue, but if it is full, try freeing up some space.

There was a kind've similar issue I recall from the beta where the game would lag weirdly as it loaded assets for the first time but otherwise play fine.

• Did the installer get to 100% before you started playing, or did you launch the game as soon as the Play button lit up at around 50%?
  • Try replaying the first quest or two as a different class. Do you still experience the FPS drops playing through areas you've already seen?
#6 Edited by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

I get them when I first make a game and zone into a place with enemies.

I was also getting 20 in some areas of act 2.

I have an i5 760, GTX570, and 16 GB of ram.  I should be able to run it maxed just fine.

Man i just looked at my ping.  280MS.  I have a 25Mb connection =\

#7 Edited by Cloneslayer (1626 posts) -

I have done some more digging and experimenting. Some other people are having this stuttering issue to so it may just be blizzard done and fucked up. I noticed that adjusting the settings between low and high have no effect (unless I turn shadows up too high or AA on so my comp cant handle it) and even playing it on 1600x900 with med to low settings I still get around 40 fps most of the time. Just annoying hitches and fps drops.

and it does seem to be getting better as I play so thats good at least. kinda of a bummer i have to suffer though shitty fps the first time I see everything just so assets can load....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.