Diablo 3 Hell difficulty

#1 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

Anyone in Hell yet? I'm a level 56 Monk at the point where I just avoid magic/rare enemies because they are unkillable.

No theorycrafting/guides have really been done yet so I'm just running around trying out whatever comes to mind.

#2 Posted by SockemJetpack (407 posts) -

Geez and I thought I was spending too much time playing. I just started Nightmare so no help from me. However I think that the majority of players are just finishing Normal so I wouldn't expect anything yet.

If memory serves though I seem to recall resistances being huge for Diablo 2's higher end stuff. Maybe look into doing some Diablo runs in Nightmare to see if you can build up an resistance set? Auction house probably hasn't caught up either but now is the time to check it out because I have a funny feeling that the majority of the best stuff will be on the cash one. Which sucks balls.

So yeah resistances! Oh and try and have some different weapons that do different types of damage. Dunno if there are any physical immune monsters in 3 like there were in 2 but they were a pain.

#3 Posted by ichthy (481 posts) -

Yeah, hell champion mobs and up are insane. I'm playing barb and I don't think I can do enough damage to kill them.

#4 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

You will need to go back to nightmare and farm gear.

#5 Posted by Syndrom (351 posts) -

i did act 1 in hell with a friend today, i'm a monk he's a witch doctor. We managed to kill some rare/champion/elite/whatever packs but most of the time with insane long kiting. Where i run around in circles trying not to die and him just dmging the mobs. We tend to avoid packs too, but that's not really the way i want to play. I feel like i hit a wall in terms of advancing without dying 50 times.

So is farming gear in nightmare the best solution then? I don't know. i went through nightmare with ease solo, but hell is something else.

#6 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -

Finishing act 1 on nightmare atm, got 3 guildies starting act 1 in hell all level 50 with little to no farming nightmare, they should be starting in about 30 minutes after the break. no advice yet.

#7 Posted by Skytylz (4029 posts) -

I barely finished act 2 last night on normal, I keep playing with people that are slightly behind and I've played act 1 and 2 basically twice already.

#8 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

Yeah I've been at a lan party since launch which is why I'm so high level. A Dodge build I'm trying out is working pretty well though I don't have all of the abilities yet so I'm still trying things out.

#9 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

1. Resistances are key. If you find anything that says "+ All Resistances", do not get rid of it for ANY reason. It may not have the best stats everywhere else, but resistances make a MASSIVE difference when you have them.

2. Different types of weapons with different types of damage, as enemies typically have weaknesses to specific types of damage (i.e. undead are weak to fire, so fire damage through Act 1 is pretty worthwhile).

3. Co-op with a mixed team. We've been finding that a double Barb (one tank, one DPS) with our buddy who plays a nuke wizard and another that plays a sustain DPS demon hunter helps.

4. Lifesteal and health regen. LIFESTEAL AND HEALTH REGEN ARE SO DAMN GOOD! By the time you hit Hell difficulty, you should be traded out some of your runes on skills to give you health back. Also, if you are playing Barbarian, Wrath of the Berserker is an excellent thing to keep around along with Earthquake. That combo makes killing rares mobs a bit easier.

#10 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

I wish I could offer advice but I'm struggling through Act II of Nightmare myself. Normal was a pushover but now I feel like maybe I'm undergeared since I have to seriously kite blue mobs and take potshots as I'm running to kill them. I'm screwed if they have life regen. I also get gibbed fast if I ever get hit at all. Haven't seen much resistance gear yet.

As someone going into D3 having not played either of the previous games, I'm totally just flying by the seat of my pants here. I wish I was more confident in my understanding of the game.

#11 Posted by Finalwish (35 posts) -

Near the end of Act 3 on Hell (About to enter that giant final demon pit before Azmodan, going t o suck.). Level 55 monk but I have really bad gear, I just get good positions to trap mobs in so my friends can aoe them down. Every time I try out a damage build I just get demolished. Bosses you cant even engage because you will die really fast.

Elites I just have to skip, can easily waste 20-30 minutes to kill them and its just not worth it for the loot that drops.

started using dual-wield and it is pretty good for a small damage boost, don't want to get rid of my multiple heals yet though, saves my groups ass and the immunity allows me to revive them.

#12 Edited by Ares42 (2577 posts) -

I got to hell last night (51 barb) and it basically killed my interest in the game. It just takes too much wailing on mobs to kill them. It's not hard, just boring. I guess I could go back and farm some gear, but most of my gear is already lvl 40+ (with good stats) and both my weapons are 45+. I just can't imagine I'll get that much of a dps boost, even if I spend a good amount of time farming.

Also, the way I killed Diablo on NM was just stupid. I had him stunned like 90+% of the fight and it was just a long fight against a punching bag. Some of the barb runes are just stupidly overpowered.

#13 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

DIABLO ON HELL INCOMING. This is exciting shiz!

#14 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1592 posts) -

Isn't there a difficulty above Hell? What's that like?!

#15 Posted by Tennmuerti (8005 posts) -

Man all this sounds so exciting i really need to hurry up and get to Hell during the weekend. Nightmare has for far been a bit underwhelming for all the talk about jump in difficulty. Then again i waste a lot of time gearing up in the broken piece of shit AH.

#16 Posted by SomeJerk (3145 posts) -
@SpunkyHePanda said:

Actual hell.
#17 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

Man all this sounds so exciting i really need to hurry up and get to Hell during the weekend. Nightmare has for far been a bit underwhelming for all the talk about jump in difficulty. Then again i waste a lot of time gearing up in the broken piece of shit AH.

DIABLOWNED! Really fun and intense boss fight! Now a bar or two til 60 and then inferno. (Fuck I aint touching that thing... yet)

#18 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Started Hell today as a wizard, not sure if this applies to all classes but I'm getting blown up by any blue mobs almost instantaneously.

It's a challenge, not sure I have the gear for it yet though.

#19 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -

@Jimi said:

Started Hell today as a wizard, not sure if this applies to all classes but I'm getting blown up by any blue mobs almost instantaneously.

It's a challenge, not sure I have the gear for it yet though.

Some real ID friends of mine are in the same situation, they actively cry when they see a blue mob coming, they are rolling a 3 piece team monk wizard and demon hunter. sounds super stressful

#20 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

@buft: I've got this far solo with not much trouble, a few of the mobs in act 4 were a pain but that was it. Hell just feels unfair, I'm sure that's the point but still.

#21 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

1 player = 100% difficulty

4 players = 500% difficulty

Feels like it at least. Level 60 now. Inferno is.. Oh boy.

#22 Edited by ajamafalous (11854 posts) -
@SpunkyHePanda said:

Inferno. The enemies in Act I are 61, Act II are 62, etc. 

But anyway, at the OP, I'm in Hell, and yeah, it's pretty fucked. Normal enemies are easy but any Champions/Rares/Uniques shit on my face almost instantly depending on what abilities they have. I'm guessing it'll be like Diablo II in that Hell requires a ton of resistances, I'm just not at the point where I'm finding any gear with resistances yet.
#23 Edited by Herreno (333 posts) -

I'm just getting up to the end of act 1 on hell as a level 53 monk and I've only had to kite a few gold enemies (invulnerable minions, vortex, arcane = OP) so we'll see if act 2 gets tougher.

My build

#24 Posted by milkham (16 posts) -

I just made it into Hell at level 51 Monk, the guys I was playing with gg'ed after Nightmare DIablo, so i tried soloing act 1 and the first gold enemy i run across on the way to the cemetary is Molten, Mortar and Frozen what a nightmare.

#25 Posted by Tennmuerti (8005 posts) -

Welp i'm officially in Hell after killing my first easy peasy elite pack at the start of Hell Act 1.

So far things are scaring me in how long they take to die, this has not been an issue at all before, now those simple fatasses take several blows and my 285% AoE is no longer enough to clear the trash in one hit. And that's me rocking with 3.5k dps on my monk admitedly a lot of that dps comes from DW and gear with % speed modifiers.

I was legitemately feeling like the game finally became a bit difficult towards the end of Nightmare, with a few elite packs actually killing me waaay fast, fucking assholes.

Now sleep. Tomorrow Hell.

#26 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

Well just did the first third of act 3 with a friend and it's working out decently well now. I'm a Barb and he's a Monk. We finally start finding really good items (we were stuck in Act 2 for quite some time). And while my Barb is quite the glass canon - Wrath of the Berserker + Earthquake works great against Champion and Elite packs!

You should skill really defensive though, all out damage abilties won't work to well. At least not when you are on your own and a melee class. And if you're just having a too tough time, go back to where you can farm good enough items without dying nonstop.

#27 Posted by Winternet (8006 posts) -

I'm scared . . I'm really scared

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.