Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

Diablo 3 is such a let down.

• 99 results
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By gamefreak9

@Subjugation said:

I think I might start hating Insert game here when RSI sets in, but not likely before then. None of the things about the game that people are angry about were secrets. Those of you that bought the game anyway and proceeded to complain look silly against the backdrop of the others who were wise enough to realize that they weren't going to enjoy it and just stayed away. Take a page from them next time.

Less people people are proportionately disappointed with D3 than any other game. They are just much more vocal since its Diablo. So you make no sense.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By Marz

I like D3 alot, Diablo 2 still exists so you can always go back and play it.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By YI_Orange

@gamefreak9 said:

@potatomash3r said:

To be honest, Diablo 3 is a good game but it doesn't live up to Diablo 2. My biggest gripe with D3 is how the champions drop better loot than bosses not to mention boss fights are uninteresting and pretty easy. I'm only in Hell Act 2 but the item affixes are ridiculously boring and with this skill system everything is capped and there is no way to increase the effectiveness of skills so the only thing that matters is DPS and resistances. In D2 there were certain classes that didn't need dps or any kind of damage item, one of which that I played was a necromancer as a minion master he wasn't item dependent and could easily solo all the way to Hell (because Corpse Explosion was fucking amazing).

I also hate how I have to redo a damned quest to do a 'run' and most of the time its an absolute waste of time because the bosses drop shit items (AFAIK), and what happened to all those mob fights before the boss? Baal had his 5 waves of minions, diablo had those 3 seals and Mephisto had the council. In all the 4 acts, nothing excited me, there was no feel of this epic quest to defeat a prime evil it all felt like a long chore just to get to the next difficulty for better loot. And no runes?! God damn it! Runewords were amazing. Maybe its too early for me to say, but there is no Fucking depth in this game!

Maybe its because of the immense love I have for D2 but the only thing I liked in D3 was the audio lore bits, everything else feels underwhelming from the music, dialog, gameplay to everything. I can't help but make similarities between the transition of D2 to D3 and ScBw with SC2. Both of which had the story turn into a pool of generic shit. I guess I should've known better, I played the demo and didn't think much of it, I was disappointed with SC2, hated all the DRM and auction house crap, and yet I still bought the game despite hating the way Blizzard is moving.

I understand how this game got 5 stars and why people love the shit out of it (for now). But as a long time fan of D2 this is just a disappointing sequel.

I have no idea what your on about. All skills have potential to be useful and their progression isn't capped at all, unlike D2. Also being able to finish the game without good gear just because of your class is called imbalanced, its not fair to barbs and amazons.

At level 60 you get a buff for every rare/champ mobs you kill that boosts your boss drops, for instance Azmodan on hell dropped 4 yellows for me last night. You should learn about the game before complaining.

Also I have no idea what your own about the bosses build up, the bosses of the last three acts literally have their own boss just for build up.

The bosses in D2 were all "stand there and punch it in the face", these bosses at least HAVE mechanics. Well, Diablo required some movement, but he's basically the same.

If there's no depth, you're doing it wrong. Have you tried elective mode? D2 skills weren't that interesting, it boiled down to what did the most aoe. for pve, pvp was stupid.

What he said about gear.

The drops being better on champions is good. I'd rather explore around and kill different champion packs(which are more difficult than bosses) than run mephisto 47 times.

Also, D2 had a story? huh.

I will give you runewords being cool though.

Edit - Don't get me wrong, I love D2. I played it more times than I can probably remember. Just saying I think D3 is a solid sequel and most of the complaints about D3 can be translated to D2.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By Grillbar

i pretty much dont agree with you on any of your points

and there are a few that i think are down right wrong

i love D3 and now im just waiting for blizzard to crank out TITAN if it ever comes to fluidity

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#55  Edited By StarvingGamer

@PapaLazarou said:

First of all I hate the DRM they use, I'm not against it as I love Steam but Battlenet doesn't offer me anything over not having a service. They could have just allowed LAN and I'd play over Hamachi with friends and it would be a better experience. Instead I have to put up with being disconnected, losing the last half hour of gameplay because it didn't save, having 200-500 ping and lagging around in a Single Player game and not being able to play if I don't have access to the net or their service is down. At least Steam has offline mode and lets me play games I've activated without the net.

Can't have LAN without essentially releasing server data to the public which would make it incredibly difficult to stop people from hacking the system, especially when the RMAH comes out. They're not stupid enough to give the monkeys the key to the banana plantation, no matter how loudly the monkeys cry.

The loot system doesn't make me excited for loot, they give you far too much and I just end up getting tired of having to loot everything and then selling it just so my character progresses. Just drop money and loot that I'll use and be interested in, there is no need to keep dropping useless trash from every mob I kill. This is such a tired mechanic that I hate and it's become like this in lots of games now, I'd rather just have stuff that is useful and fun to use. Batman AC just gives you XP and lets you unlock stuff that is fun and you actually want, it's a much better system than having to go through lots of useless crap.

Since you complain about how the butchered WoW I wonder, do you think WoW would be a better game if they continued in their more casual friendly direction and made sure all dropped loot was relevant to your class? And remember the reason that drops are so randomized is in order to promote scarcity and encourage players to trade items and use the AH. Would it be a better game if instead you only got gold and one relevant class item drop per hour of gameplay?

Where is the character customization? I mean in 2012 I at least though we could make our own character instead of having to use these pre set models. It just doesn't make any sense to what this game is, it's not like your characters look is important to the story....

Within the first 2 hours of gameplay your character is so decked out in gear that you can't see them anyways.

Talking about the story, I just found it to be lacklustre, I loved Diablo 2's back in 2000 and got so drawn into it but Diablo 3's is crap and drops the ball for today's standards. I just expected something epic but instead they actually managed to deliver something worse than Starcraft 2's which managed to take the good work from the first game and butcher it with a love story... go play the original and there is one bit of flirting and that is it. Blizzard's last good game was Warcraft 3 and everything they've done since has been crap, they ignored their franchises to make WoW which was great until they butchered it and dumbed it down. Then they finally got round to SC2 and D3 and they suck.... I bet when they do WC4 they'll count WoWs mess of a story as actual lore and skip the who Arthas thing which was why I was looking forward to WC4.

Fair enough, but it boggles my mind that someone who actually played Diablo II would come to Diablo III for the story.

The graphics suck for something released in 2012, not only that but it looks like Warcraft and not Diablo. The music sucks, I used to love the music in Diablo 2 and always remember it but Diablo 3 is like SWTOR where they should have had such memorable music and they did nothing with the source material. The voice acting and dialogue is just so bad way too often and just comes off cheesy and cringe worthy, should have seen it coming in the cinematic "you do believe me, don't you Leah?" lol.

If you think this game looks ANYthing like Warcraft outside of their intelligent use of striking silhouettes then you are out of your mind. The only thing that makes D3 look more like WC and less like D2 is the use of polygons because, you know, technology.

The gameplay just feels like Diablo........ it's barely changed and tbh for 2012 I expected something more modern and innovative. Even Torchlight did more than Diablo and thank god they let you sell all the trash loot via the pet, so it made it less tedious than Diablo 3s dated system.

The core gameplay of both D3 and Torchlight are fundamentally the same as D2. The key differences are in the mechanics and systems that lie underneath it all. Unlike Torchlight which did basically nothing to evolve those systems, D3 makes dozens of intelligent innovations to encourage experimentation and creativity and ensure a significantly greater degree of balance and build viability. Also in D3 they devalued trash loot to the point where I don't have to pick it up at all. If you prefer having to sacrifice the help of your pet every 5 minutes just to keep up economically, more power to you I guess.

Blizzard have lost a fan, not interested in them any more and funnily enough none of my friends like their games any more either after they butchered WoW. The problem with Blizzard now is they're like Nintendo and they just make the same game over and over with very little change. So it's gotten to the point where my friends and I just feel that we're bored of them now...

It's no surprise that a casual player like yourself would be oblivious to all of the ways Blizzard advances genres while maintaining a core "feel" to their games. You'll just have to take it from players like me who are actually paying attention that there's a lot more going on than just "the same game over and over."

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Sorry you feel that way. However I think it is fucking awesome, along with SC2.

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Vade

I was going to say Act 2 Inferno is the shittiest thing in gaming right now but my gear is slowly catching up and I'm making some progress.

I'm cool with D3 for the time being.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#58  Edited By ajamafalous
    @tooPrime said:

@PapaLazarou said:

The graphics suck for something released in 2012, not only that but it looks like Warcraft and not Diablo.

I think Diablo 2 fans have rose colored glasses about that game. Diablo 1 looks better than Diablo 2.

I can't speak for everyone but I was playing Diablo II regularly with a bunch of my friends as recently as 2 months ago, unrelated to any Diablo III hype. It's just a thing we do since we've all been playing it for 10 years; about every six months we jump in again.

With that, I will say that I prefer Diablo II's graphics/colors/motifs/styles to Diablo III's.
    RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By RadixNegative2

I'm on the other side. I was not expecting much from Diablo 3, but so far it's blown me away.

The combat is a blast and I love the visual design of the world. Sure it's no Diablo 2, but if I want to play Diablo 2 I'll go do that.

I agree though that the DRM is atrocious. The fact that I get lag when playing single player just so people have an official way to use real world money to buy loot is nonsense.

Robot_Moses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Robot_Moses

I agree somewhat with the OP. The story was weak and the DRM is a little excessive. That said, it's still a hell of a game that I can't get enough of.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@Village_Guy said:

Congratulations on jumping on the latest bandwagon, hating on Diablo 3 and Blizzard.

For me, personally, Diablo 3 is pretty much what I expected and I am really enjoying the game.

Oh darn I thought we were still on the Bioware hate wagon, give me a sec to pack my stuff.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By FateOfNever

I'm pretty sure I just hate people at this point. "I have an opinion." "Well fuck your opinion." "Well fuck you for your opinion." "Well fuck you for saying fuck me for my opinion for telling that dude to fuck his opinion."

So fuck all opinions. No one should have one because it makes everyone else hate everyone over the dumbest fucking shit. Humanity, I tell you what, how we even got to this point surprises me at times.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#63  Edited By cornbredx

The first reply pretty much sums it up but I cant shake the feeling of fishy

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Subjugation

@gamefreak9 said:

@Subjugation said:

I think I might start hating Insert game here when RSI sets in, but not likely before then. None of the things about the game that people are angry about were secrets. Those of you that bought the game anyway and proceeded to complain look silly against the backdrop of the others who were wise enough to realize that they weren't going to enjoy it and just stayed away. Take a page from them next time.

Less people people are proportionately disappointed with D3 than any other game. They are just much more vocal since its Diablo. So you make no sense.

I have this nagging feeling that you were trying to make a point.

Redhorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Redhorn

@PapaLazarou said:

Diablo 3 is such a let down.

Nah it's sweet.

ouren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66  Edited By ouren

Diablo 1 is magical.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By laserbolts

@Subjugation said:

@gamefreak9 said:

@Subjugation said:

I have to agree with you. Most people knew that this game would require a constant internet connection and bought it anyways. To think that there wouldn't be issues related to said connection is ridiculous. It's like buying hot wings and complaining that they are too hot.

Wallzii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Wallzii

@laserbolts said:

@Subjugation said:

@gamefreak9 said:

@Subjugation said:

I have to agree with you. Most people knew that this game would require a constant internet connection and bought it anyways. To think that there wouldn't be issues related to said connection is ridiculous. It's like buying hot wings and complaining that they are too hot.

Or that your blue cheeee smells funny. Hot wings and blue cheese dip, oh yeah.

To stay on point though, you're right. There are certain problems to be expected on release of an online game, server issues being one of them. I think it is plainly silly to get so worked up about a problem that had a very small iwndow of effect.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By laserbolts

@Wallzii said:

@laserbolts said:

@Subjugation said:

@gamefreak9 said:

@Subjugation said:

Or that your blue cheeee smells funny.

Hot wings and blue cheese dip, oh yeah.

I'd eat the shit out of some wings and dip right now.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70  Edited By shiftymagician

I would say it was a bit of a letdown for me but not in a fashion where I would stop playing it. There's enough good in it that of course many people will have fun with it for years (including myself), but I would always disagree with the design decisions they have made for this game from the viewpoint of a programmer that believes in self-reliable, independent software. Obviously they aren't the first developer to do this and they won't be the last, but I won't stop personally disagreeing with the direction gaming is headed with it.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By BionicRadd

@PapaLazarou said:

Thing is I could forgive Diablo 2 for things I hate about Diablo 3 because it was 12 years ago. Times have changed since then and I expect something better these days...

Talking about WoW for me when they allowed you get to Battlegrounds from anywhere in the game it killed world PVP. Pre that patch or even pre Battlegrounds world PVP used to be so amazing and then suddenly it died. Then they made it worse with TBC and the dumb flying mounts which made sure world PVP sucked even more and killed exploration. Then they added the ability to enter instances from anywhere in the world killing the world feeling again........ at this point it might as well be a hub based game because the world is dead.

Blizzard ruined WoW so bad to the point I play a private vanilla server which has more people on that any live server lol. The Vanilla game is so much better and the quests aren't all linear like post Cataclysm which has quests linking up from zone to zone and actually stops you doing future ones if you haven't done ones in the past zone.

Blizzard just make me so angry, fucking hate them now.

All I need next is for Valve to turn HL3 into COD and I quit gaming for good this time, I had a year or two off before but now I've come back into it I'm just pissed off even more at how shit games are these days.

The fact that you think Vanilla WoW was a superior experience to where the game is now just speaks volumes, although I wonder if you actually played in Vanilla, considering that you couldnt fly in TBC until 70 and it was prohibitively expensive at the time. Not only that, but regular flying was actually slower than epic land mount, so unless you had the money for epic, you probably still rode most of the time. What I am getting at is I don't know how flying in TBC killed exploration when you couldn't do it till you'd hit the level cap, which would require that you do a pretty fair amount of exploration. This is coming back in Mists of Pandaria, since you won't be able to fly until 90.

Also, the irony of you complaining that Diablo 3 didn't change enough while you only want to play Vanilla WoW is almost more than I can stand.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Grimluck343

Over/under on how many more of these threads we'll see this weekend?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    Adamz10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Adamz10

Even though they could of made it slightly better I still dissagree with this but he did express his opinion and he's honest about it.

But I expected what I expected, plus has blizzard really ever cared? Not really, Yes diablo 2 was much much more fun & you could keep going back to it but yes diablo 3 was too fast and it has become stupid but if you didn't like it why do you keep on playing it or trying to talk about it. Just let it be nothing you can do or say that will change their minds & if you believe they don't care honestly they won't :)

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#75  Edited By phrosnite

I'm enjoying how gamefreak"something" is replying to every other comment. Diablo 3 Defense force. rofl

goatmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By goatmilk

I agree with the OP. Severely let down. Primarily because of the dogshit DRM.

I wanted to play through the campaign by myself the first time so I could go at my own pace. Sadly Blizzard don't have any servers in Australasia. My ping is always around 400ms so I get a lot of lag spikes and I get disconnected losing 10-20mins of progress regularly. Simply unacceptable in a single player game. The storytelling, graphical performance (i7 @4.5ghz, 2x6970s and it still doesn't run smoothly) etc is also very weak but those are overshadowed by the fact that the game is unplayable. I really, really wanted to enjoy it but I just can't.

All that is nothing though compared to the unequivocal attitude that this is one of the best games of all time. If this was released by an indie studio it would be popular, sure, but it wouldn't be put on a pedestal as if it were some kind of example of perfection. Sure I can see why people enjoy this and I can see the good elements of this game but its far from deserving of the salivating praise it gets.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By phampire

If you have realistic expectations, do a little bit of research and perhaps read (or watch) a review or two I don't think you can intelligently complain about the DRM, gameplay, graphics or performance. No one is forcing you to buy Diablo 3 and play it.

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SargeGulp

Alright, so a copy-editor once stated (roughly) "Writers should never assume people already know what they're talking about." I.E The first time you mention something in an article, spell the entire thing out rather than using abbreviations.

So although we're not technically "writers", we arewriting. (preemptive snark)

Maybe you have no sympathy, but as someone who's never played anything blizzard aside from warcraft 3 and Diablo(1) I am having some trouble keeping up here.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By phampire

@SargeGulp: What do you find hard to keep up with? If you can be more specific I can probably help out. Ironically you assume that I know what you are talking about.

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By MrCandleguy

@Vitor: Dude you want a guest pass? I'll give you one.

@doobie said:

surpised you think the greaphics suck. i think it looks fucking amazing.

Me too, well.. not 'graphically'. It's not trying to be a Crysis joint. I think it's Art Style is amazing, and thats what they were going for.

EDIT: Actually I got all 3 they give you when you buy it. Anyone want one? I'll happily give them away.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By vitor

@MrCandleguy said:

@Vitor: Dude you want a guest pass? I'll give you one.

@doobie said:

surpised you think the greaphics suck. i think it looks fucking amazing.

Me too, well.. not 'graphically'. It's not trying to be a Crysis joint. I think it's Art Style is amazing, and thats what they were going for.

EDIT: Actually I got all 3 they give you when you buy it. Anyone want one? I'll happily give them away.

Ha, thanks so much for the offer! I was desperate for one a week ago but then I found the game for £32 online and gave in and got it anyway... Really appreciate the sentiment though!

There's a thread on the Diablo 3 forums here where loads of people are asking for passes. You should visit there and make someone very happy!

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You started out okay, but within a few sentences you started sounding like an old grandpa, shitting on Blizzard and using words like "these days".

Gross.

By the way, I didn't buy the game because I strongly disliked the beta. I played the shit out of 1 & 2 and loved SCII, as well.

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By SargeGulp

The junky loot thing doesn't ring true with me, I have the opposite problem. Too damn much! What exactly am I supposed to do with it all? Sadly this game punishes my pack rat mentalities.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#84  Edited By DoctorWelch

I actually completely agree with everything you said, the difference is I never actually got way into any Blizzard game before WoW, so I really don't have anything to get super disappointed about. I understand your complaints, but because it's basically a new experience for me than I'm fine with it. I didn't read most of the posts, but I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of them are something along the lines of "stop complaining you whining asshole". Just realize your points are valid, but people are going to react negatively to almost anything subjective on the internet.

Avatar image for phantomgardener
    PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By PhantomGardener

@PapaLazarou said:

First of all I hate the DRM they use, I'm not against it as I love Steam but Battlenet doesn't offer me anything over not having a service. They could have just allowed LAN and I'd play over Hamachi with friends and it would be a better experience. Instead I have to put up with being disconnected, losing the last half hour of gameplay because it didn't save, having 200-500 ping and lagging around in a Single Player game and not being able to play if I don't have access to the net or their service is down. At least Steam has offline mode and lets me play games I've activated without the net.

The loot system doesn't make me excited for loot, they give you far too much and I just end up getting tired of having to loot everything and then selling it just so my character progresses. Just drop money and loot that I'll use and be interested in, there is no need to keep dropping useless trash from every mob I kill. This is such a tired mechanic that I hate and it's become like this in lots of games now, I'd rather just have stuff that is useful and fun to use. Batman AC just gives you XP and lets you unlock stuff that is fun and you actually want, it's a much better system than having to go through lots of useless crap.

Where is the character customization? I mean in 2012 I at least though we could make our own character instead of having to use these pre set models. It just doesn't make any sense to what this game is, it's not like your characters look is important to the story....

Talking about the story, I just found it to be lacklustre, I loved Diablo 2's back in 2000 and got so drawn into it but Diablo 3's is crap and drops the ball for today's standards. I just expected something epic but instead they actually managed to deliver something worse than Starcraft 2's which managed to take the good work from the first game and butcher it with a love story... go play the original and there is one bit of flirting and that is it. Blizzard's last good game was Warcraft 3 and everything they've done since has been crap, they ignored their franchises to make WoW which was great until they butchered it and dumbed it down. Then they finally got round to SC2 and D3 and they suck.... I bet when they do WC4 they'll count WoWs mess of a story as actual lore and skip the who Arthas thing which was why I was looking forward to WC4.

The graphics suck for something released in 2012, not only that but it looks like Warcraft and not Diablo. The music sucks, I used to love the music in Diablo 2 and always remember it but Diablo 3 is like SWTOR where they should have had such memorable music and they did nothing with the source material. The voice acting and dialogue is just so bad way too often and just comes off cheesy and cringe worthy, should have seen it coming in the cinematic "you do believe me, don't you Leah?" lol. The gameplay just feels like Diablo........ it's barely changed and tbh for 2012 I expected something more modern and innovative. Even Torchlight did more than Diablo and thank god they let you sell all the trash loot via the pet, so it made it less tedious than Diablo 3s dated system.

Blizzard have lost a fan, not interested in them any more and funnily enough none of my friends like their games any more either after they butchered WoW. The problem with Blizzard now is they're like Nintendo and they just make the same game over and over with very little change. So it's gotten to the point where my friends and I just feel that we're bored of them now...

Too much loot? There can never be to much loot. and if you don't pick up the useless loot to sell it, how are you gonna make that extra money? Comparing it to Batman AC? yeah that makes fucking sense..

Character customization has NEVER been a part of the Diablo franchise. They way you customize your character in Diablo, is by putting on different loot, cause in the end you will barely see the pre set model.

Again story has never been a major aspect of the Diablo franchise, and for a Diablo game, the story in Diablo III is decent. And you get to listen to some pretty interesting lore by picking up journals.

The graphics isn't the best, but the art style is fantastic in this game. And by toning the graphics will allow more people to run the game and enjoy it.

To be honest, after reading your post I think that you have never been a Blizzard/Diablo fan.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Hitchenson

@Jimbo said:

"Just drop money and loot that I'll use and be interested in, there is no need to keep dropping useless trash from every mob I kill. This is such a tired mechanic that I hate and it's become like this in lots of games now, I'd rather just have stuff that is useful and fun to use." Diablo aside, I find myself thinking this in games more and more - just drop shit if there's at least a chance it might be of some use to my character/s or if it's a unique item or something. Also, I really appreciated the thing in Dragon Age 2 where you could just hit a key and your dude would run to the next nearest lootable thing on screen. That was probably the best thing about Dragon Age 2 and all games with loot need to have that now. Another mechanic that needs to fuck off is loose change being hidden in every other barrel / crate / vase etc. you come across. Stop making me feel compelled to do a lap of the room like an idiot before talking to the super important NPC stood there waiting for me.

I'm just going to go ahead and say not wanting tons of loot in a game that's supposed to have tons of loot is nuts and also it isn't just lose change in barrels and such, I've had so many rares drop from them.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By hwy_61

I agree with the DRM issue. Funny how the internet shat all over Ubisoft for doing the EXACT SAME THING with AC2. I know; "it's has multiplayer blah blah"; but just know that there are actually people that have shitty schedules which don't allow much room for multiplayer. Fuck Blizzard, and fuck their DRM.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By hwy_61

When I say 'room for multiplyer' I mean playing with friends who level way too fast. No edit on iPhone.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Grixxel

The DRM is about the only inexcusable fuck up in this game. The rest is pretty much Diablo, I think people disappointed in this had wrong expectations.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Jimbo
    @Hitchenson said:

@Jimbo said:

"Just drop money and loot that I'll use and be interested in, there is no need to keep dropping useless trash from every mob I kill. This is such a tired mechanic that I hate and it's become like this in lots of games now, I'd rather just have stuff that is useful and fun to use." Diablo aside, I find myself thinking this in games more and more - just drop shit if there's at least a chance it might be of some use to my character/s or if it's a unique item or something. Also, I really appreciated the thing in Dragon Age 2 where you could just hit a key and your dude would run to the next nearest lootable thing on screen. That was probably the best thing about Dragon Age 2 and all games with loot need to have that now. Another mechanic that needs to fuck off is loose change being hidden in every other barrel / crate / vase etc. you come across. Stop making me feel compelled to do a lap of the room like an idiot before talking to the super important NPC stood there waiting for me.

I'm just going to go ahead and say not wanting tons of loot in a game that's supposed to have tons of loot is nuts and also it isn't just lose change in barrels and such, I've had so many rares drop from them.

Yeah I should probably have put 'Diablo aside' at the start of my post or something. 

Anyways, I'm ok with 'Looting' as a mechanic, where 'loot' implies that the items have value, but I'm less ok with Litter Picking as a mechanic, which is what it often turns into.  Diablo is one thing, because that whole game seems designed around people having 'loot' fueled OCD, but I don't think it needs to be quite so prevalent in RPGs in general. It's often just busy work and an unnecessary distraction from what is supposed to be happening in the game.
    Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Toxeia

While Diablo 3 isn't necessarily raising the bar on graphics, is it really that bad? The graphics are great in my eyes. All this bull about "everything's so blurry and muddy" really confuses me when I can look at the screen and interpret exactly what's going on at any time.

I suppose with it being the big blockbuster game right now, with all the attention and good reviews, it's going to attract a ton of people who feel the need to put it down because "That's not my point of view!" But, point by point...

1) You don't lose a half hour of game play. It saves every minute, so there's hardly any loss of character progress.

2) The loot system doesn't do anything for you? Too much loot? Don't pick up the gray and white loot. Salvage anything you can't use, craft stuff you might be able to use, salvage that if you can't use it. The thrill is in "Oh god, is this an upgrade?" and when it is you get a rush. Otherwise you get beat down but you come back from it when you find more loot. That's the point of a game in the genre of Loot Lust.

3) Diablo 2's story was so cut and dry... I don't see why you'd compare Diablo 3 to it. Honestly, I'm finding more and more that I'm getting really into the Diablo 3 story - more the side stories actually. If you follow up on Covetous Shen's story it balances some comic relief and some heavy shit that might go down in an expansion. If you don't like the story in Diablo 3 and you aren't talking to all the NPCs then you're doing yourself a disservice. If you've talked to them all and still genuinely dislike the story, then that's fine.

4) When I'm on the road or going over to a friend, you know what I play Diablo 3 on? A really bad, out dated Acer netbook. It runs pretty good for it being a POS computer. When I'm at home I play it on a gaming PC. Graphics aren't mind blowing, but they serve the mood of the game very well. I won't discredit you for saying that the game has poor graphics because some people just need that visual candy to get their rocks off, but comparing it to other games that are capable of running on that wide range of hardware, it looks great. Also - if the game looks too cartoony for you, set your brightness and contrast to where they should be. The game's not all rainbows and shit like people have said.

5) So you'd play D3 over Hamachi (Ew, btw) with all the friends you have that don't like Diablo 3? Online DRM's the future. Which region are you playing in by the way? Because I've had almost no issues with playing the game as far as not being able to connect to the servers - minus downtime for patches, which should be expected for an online game.

Hey look, wall of text.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By EXTomar

....wait I missed that in the original post. People still use Hamachi? I mean that was tech made around 2000 to do tunneling when broadband wasn't so available. Why would anyone want to use "retro-tech" like that when modern tech offers high availability and low configuration??? This is like insisting that someone really only wants to play id games with SPX.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#93  Edited By veektarius

I don't understand the pervasive disappointment with the story. It wasn't the Witcher 2, but the voices were well-performed, it had several interesting twists (if not entirely unpredictable ones) and I think it did a better job letting you know you're a badass than your average RPG. I guess the story of Act III was a little simplistic, but the setting was a lot of fun.

duggshammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By duggshammer

In my opinion, D3 is fucking amazing. It's just simply... fun to play. The games graphics are good, but its art is mind-blowing. This is the most fun I've had with a game in a very long time actually. So that's my opinion, and you have yours. But, since you like to make threads about your opinion, I'll give you commentary on it: it sounds like your not giving it a chance. You hate every aspect of the game... dude chillax.

krisgebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By krisgebis

@tooPrime: YES. You are right sir. I played Diablo 1 up until the launch of D2, and I was stunned how bad D2 looked.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#96  Edited By Klei

@PapaLazarou said:

The graphics suck for something released in 2012, not only that but it looks like Warcraft and not Diablo. The music sucks, I used to love the music in Diablo 2 and always remember it but Diablo 3 is like SWTOR where they should have had such memorable music and they did nothing with the source material. The voice acting and dialogue is just so bad way too often and just comes off cheesy and cringe worthy, should have seen it coming in the cinematic "you do believe me, don't you Leah?" lol. The gameplay just feels like Diablo........ it's barely changed and tbh for 2012 I expected something more modern and innovative. Even Torchlight did more than Diablo and thank god they let you sell all the trash loot via the pet, so it made it less tedious than Diablo 3s dated system.

What the? This game is made in such a way that its almost supposed to run on fucking iphones to allow everybody to play it. What these artists did with animations, monster death, sound effect and visual effects are of an insane level of quality. Why does the gameplay have to change? What is it that you expected? Gears of War cover mechanics? World of Warcraft-like combat? The music sucks now and you prefer D2's? You know why? Because you're full of nostalgia and you can't even see it. You say the voice acting is horrible, that's just so untrue. I don't know what you expected, but it seems to be fucking sky-high.

Zaxex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#97  Edited By Zaxex

Love it. The always-online DRM is unfortunate; but even with that I've spent many hours playing my favourite game of late.

As fun as cynicism is, it doesn't hurt to just play a game and enjoy it for what it is. It's clear that people who're angered by Diablo III are much more likely to talk about it than the millions of people playing the game, and presumably enjoying it.

And as soon as you boycotted Blizzard you joined the chorus of the thousands of entitled children posturing about a lot of nothing. I find it funny that you would undermine your own integrity to allegedly boycott a company. By integrity I mean buying and playing games that you like and think are good.

There must be a more constructive way to vent, maybe throwing toys around?

Reale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Reale

I have played diablo 1 through to 3 and have to say, this is my fave Diablo yet ... the art style is what I have always wanted from diablo (even if I dont like some of the locals) but also I like playing the game through from start to finish without grinding bosses...

they may have lost a fan in you but they have gained one in me.

I never really could get in to D1 or D2 as much as I wanted to and fuck knows I tried but D3 feels right for me ... I am happy grinding and am already wanting an expansion...

p.s - wasnt into the story but I played normal through with the scoundrel and that guy made the game for me ... now finishing up Nightmare and still loving it.

NobodyHIFI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By NobodyHIFI

Good luck getting through inferno mode with your Wall of Text build

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.