Diablo III is indeed coming to the 360

#1 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/06/diablo-iii-hitting-ps3-and-xbox-360-in-september

Huge news for me, I was under the impression it was only coming to the Playstation...

I have Diablo III on PC/Mac but I haven't played in awhile and rather than go back on PC I'd prefer to experience it again on a console. It will have local multiplayer as well as online, it'll be like playing Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance again!!!

I'm excited. It's probably going to get revealed for the Xbox One at E3, so we'll see. I'd hope so, that'd be an awesome game to have in its library. Kinect integration to take potions and such would be nice as well.

#2 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I don't want to touch this game on a console. I much prefer my PC setting for those loot-driven, hack-and-slash games. But to those who couldn't experience it on PC, this is exciting news.

And yes, I do love Diablo III. Even though it's hated by a lot of divas.

#3 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

I think it'll work well on consoles. Dark Alliance worked fine on consoles and it was a lot like Diablo II in my opinion. It'll actually be more comfortable to play because you won't be constantly clicking and mashing keys. You'll move your character with the analog stick and map abilities to the buttons / triggers / etc., making for a comfortable and efficient way to control the action.

Another example would be Torchlight. I had both the PC and 360 version and greatly preferred the 360 version.

#4 Posted by Kidavenger (3556 posts) -

The only thing appealing about this game on consoles is that it probably won't have the auction house / the loot drops should be more appropriate.

Even when I played this when it came out, I didn't realize how much that auction house bummed me out until long after I quit playing.

#5 Posted by SomeJerk (3251 posts) -

No auction house is confirmed, unconfirmed is if they improve droprates and loot quality enabling the game to actually be played from start to inferno finish without months of farming because of the "lets make money on RMAH activity, it'll work great" enhanced game design. Even if it had been fixed that way it would pale in comparison to the competition and the past in pure design, storytelling, gameplay and fun. Still worth getting since Torchlight 2 isn't touching consoles until $dogknows.

#6 Posted by cheishxc (92 posts) -

I'm sure it'll be fine, Torchlight on Xbox showed those kinds of games can work well, I just don't have any desire to re-buy a game I've already played for 100+ hours. I'm still a bit burned out on Diablo until an expansion comes out in 20 years because it's Blizzard.

#7 Edited by tescovee (359 posts) -

so where is the outcry that the PS4 demo was showing old gen games and tech demos?

OmGZ0rz! DRM MAH rightz! an oldE Gamez!!!

#8 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@cheishxc said:

I'm sure it'll be fine, Torchlight on Xbox showed those kinds of games can work well, I just don't have any desire to re-buy a game I've already played for 100+ hours. I'm still a bit burned out on Diablo until an expansion comes out in 20 years because it's Blizzard.

I really hope they'd do some sort of tie in where PC players can get some sort of loot / acknowledgement on the console version when they play. They do cross game tie-ins (ex: Get this mount / pet in Warcraft for playing Diablo) let's hope they do cross platform.

What excites me the most is the local multiplayer. I can sit down and drink beers with 3 other people and play Diablo. No dragging computers around and setting up a LAN (which no one wants to do).

It'll also be fun to play with my girlfriend.

I had so much fun playing Dark Alliance 1 + 2 on the Xbox with my buddies, this will bring back many memories.

#9 Edited by jaycrockett (451 posts) -

My time with Marvel Heroes last night leads me to believe I just don't want to click on the ground anymore to play a game. So this announcement increases my interest in Diablo slightly.

#10 Edited by EXTomar (4736 posts) -

Local co-op on Diablo 3 would be a problem with Champions that do multiple "area denial" effects. Before the major patch adjustment, it was bad getting into unwinnable fights with random monsters in in confined spaces like sewers or ramparts because there is not enough space and that was with other players with their own machines/clients/displays. They would have to restrict Champion effects even farther to make it remotely fair for local co-op.

#11 Edited by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

Day one for me! D3 was my 2012 game of the year. Annoying that they won't say if it's coming to both PS4 and Xbox One or only PS4 though.

#12 Edited by pweidman (2336 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

I think it'll work well on consoles. Dark Alliance worked fine on consoles and it was a lot like Diablo II in my opinion. It'll actually be more comfortable to play because you won't be constantly clicking and mashing keys. You'll move your character with the analog stick and map abilities to the buttons / triggers / etc., making for a comfortable and efficient way to control the action.

Another example would be Torchlight. I had both the PC and 360 version and greatly preferred the 360 version.

Boom.

And no RMAH alone is gonna make this version superior, let alone the convenience of using VC on XBL. Although I put way too many hrs. into D3 on my pc, I'm still looking forward to playing D3 with my XBL friends.

#13 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (410 posts) -

Played it at Pax East on the ps3. I was expecting a very watered down and somewhat clunky port, instead it turned out to be quite enjoyable and very unique.

It's basically been completely redeveloped for console play and they take into account pretty much everything from the way you interact with loot and items to mobility tweaks to monster density. The interface and the control scheme is probably the biggest departure. For a game that utterly hinges on keyboard and mouse support I have to say I was impressed how easy navigating all the menus was with the ps3 controller. It was quick, very clearly laid out and used some interesting tricks to get everything to work (and work well) with only a couple buttons.

Tthe weirdest thing was having direct control over your character. If you've played any diablo game for any length of time, essentially driving your character around with a joystick is going to feel intensely strange.

It is not at all like diablo 3 on the PC though but I found it to be very enjoyable in it's own right. The biggest differences sort of work to it's advantage though. The game is enough of a departure from the PC version that I think there will be a lot of people interested in playing it even if say they've put several hours into the PC game already. After all Diablo is a game built around multiple playthroughs.

#14 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

It's going to be interesting to see if console D3 is more D than D3 on PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.