Diablo III - What are we fighting for?

#1 Posted by StarvingGamer (8558 posts) -

LOOT!

The official Diablo III website just put up a database of what looks like every item in the game. The SoJ makes a triumphant return as well as a number of other key Diablo II items. They also show us which items can be crafted and how the simplified Gem system works. The welcome inclusion of Dyes will help differentiate characters since everyone is likely to be going for the same equipment. I'll probably try to rock a lovely set, but I'm curious how many people will want to make all their gear invisible. Most exciting is the fact that there seems to be no restriction class-wise in regards to generic equipment. This means that making an effective Melee-wizard is going to be significantly easier than I thought.

Here are a few choice pieces to salivate over while we wait for 2012.

#2 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

I love loot, I need to upgrade my pc so I can play this when it comes out.

#3 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1474 posts) -

The Grand Vizier staff looks a little silly.

#4 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

@Ghost_Cat said:

It's like someone stuck a rubber glove on a stick.

#5 Posted by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

As much as I love loot, I'm going to avoid looking at this. I'd rather go in as blindly as possible with my first character.

#6 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

Holy fuck that Soj seems godly.

#7 Posted by FateOfNever (1855 posts) -

I find myself far more interested in the fact that all of that gear has massive "better chance to find magic items" stats on them. Since that stat was rather rare in D2, and often came on shit gear that you wore JUST so you could have a better chance of finding magic items. This gives me some hope.

#8 Posted by JCTango (1366 posts) -

I have a love/hate relationship with loot. I love getting it, but I hate having that itch to keep on finding a better replacement for it.

#9 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Eeeeehhhhhh... still not buying this until it becomes available offline. Right now my internet is shut off because I can't afford it. So I'm either using a schools computer or my stupid slow ass Metro PCS phone.

#10 Edited by StarvingGamer (8558 posts) -

@FateOfNever: I kinda cherry picked them out of the list, there are actually very few items with innate +MF on them and all the ones I posted are majorly end-game.

EDIT: And the rarest of the rare since they're almost all set pieces.

#11 Posted by FateOfNever (1855 posts) -

@StarvingGamer: Yeah, it does look like the guaranteed MF is on mostly legendary/set items, but, not all of them are late game items, and a lot of the other magic items seem to have things like "+3 random properties", and I imagine MF is one of those possible random properties. So, it sort of still gives me hope, or, at least hope that you can make a magic find character/gear set that doesn't make them almost complete shit on the rest of their stats.

#12 Posted by Eurobum (247 posts) -

Looks like they went the route of LoD, randomizing properties of named items.  Thus diluting the meaning of said names!
LoD was a bummer, a case of diminishing something perfectly fine by one-upsmanship. (Let's put teleport on an item...)

Then again maybe it's not so bad to have stuff that isn't in any way perfect or complete.

The Design choice for an item system is this: 
1) either make items distinct PUZZLE PIECES --> can't have to many or it will become overwhelming.  (Classic Diablo II)
2) make every item smudgy BUILDING BLOCKS --> they go with whatever, Items and attributes are more or less interchangeable, The game can have as many as you want. (D2: Lord of Defecation)

#13 Posted by StarvingGamer (8558 posts) -

@Eurobum: Item stat randomization is what's going to make the real-money AH work. For set items that are already going to be the rarest drops in the game, only 1/500,000+ will actually manage to be perfect. Imagine how much an Immortal Kings Stone Crusher with perfect stats might go for.

#14 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Delicious loot!

Man, if there's any game that would finally get me to bite the bullet and get a new computer, Diablo III might be the one.

#15 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -
@Azteck

@Ghost_Cat said:

It's like someone stuck a rubber glove on a stick.

Sounds OP to me
#16 Posted by Eurobum (247 posts) -
@StarvingGamer said:

@Eurobum: Item stat randomization is what's going to make the real-money AH work. For set items that are already going to be the rarest drops in the game, only 1/500,000+ will actually manage to be perfect. Imagine how much an Immortal Kings Stone Crusher with perfect stats might go for.

Botters will end up selling them unidentified, i'm sure. Cause that's how you make profit from deg. gamblers.
 Again that's what made D2 Classic so great, Sets have been just an easy guideline for beginners, sort of like matching track suits vs. custom tailored attire. 

Fan service demands high level sets. That's what fans get: a high level track suit with a large Immortal King logo. Possibly three stripes, since this is Diablo III
#17 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

I really am curious to know why Blizzard did this.

#18 Posted by StarvingGamer (8558 posts) -

@Eurobum: That's an interesting thought, but I wonder if Blizzard will even allow the selling of unidentified items.

@BoG: Why not?

#19 Posted by Enigma777 (6059 posts) -

I fight for the children.

#20 Posted by ICryCauseImEmo (513 posts) -

I'd be lying if I said I don't want this game right now god damnit.

#21 Posted by Vigil80 (435 posts) -

I clearly didn't spend enough time in D2; some of this is over my head. Why are set items now the best and most rare?

#22 Posted by StarvingGamer (8558 posts) -

@Vigil80: A couple possible reasons off the top of my head:

• Gives casual players a set goal to strive for once they reach max level without requiring a lot of loot knowledge
  • Makes sure that top level maxed-out characters look cohesively cool, rather than a mish-mash of random ass shit
  • Probably some design culture carryover from the raid sets in WoW
  • Sets were kinda worthless in D2 since they were so hard to get that you would be way over-leveled by the time you completed one
  • People buying items with real money will be motivated to buy all the items in a set rather than one or two legendaries

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.