Don't like the way Diablo III looks? Check this out.

#1 Edited by Zithe (1045 posts) -

EDIT 2: Come on you guys, I know reading is hard and all, but I am not complaining about the look of the game or bringing back any kind of argument. This is simply an alternative for those that weren't satisfied. If you like the way the game looks by default, that's perfectly fine. This isn't for you.

Source: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3967848172

I know some of you guys are unhappy with the lighter visual tone Diablo III is taking relative to the first two games, and I think you will be very pleased by this. Someone has created a filter for the game using shaders that makes it look almost entirely different. I can't believe the difference it makes. I almost want to believe that the filter is making the original game blurrier than it was to fool me. The only downside is that the sharpening effects make some of the item text look really muddy, but I absolutely think it's worth it for the results (plus you can toggle the filter on and off instantly whenever you want in-game). The package comes in different varieties depending on how dark you want it to look.

I was going to post some screenshots I took, but I can't seem to get them large enough for you to really see the detail, so I would just recommend looking at the ones in that forum post I linked to above.

EDIT: Links for the lazy

Before: http://i.imgur.com/BqQM4.jpg

After: http://i.imgur.com/ZIYw2.jpg

Before: http://i.imgur.com/ETUzC.jpg

After: http://i.imgur.com/UMuPj.jpg

#2 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

People like him (and the audience he gets like e.g. you) probably make real artists cry.

"Herp derp I created a filter, look everyone, it's darker!!"

#3 Posted by Zithe (1045 posts) -

@NaDannMaGoGo: I am not one of those who cry out about the art style changes they made. I was already enjoying the game before I found this. The real difference maker is the sharpness that adds the needed detail to the game. I think you would see that if you actually bothered to look at the before and after shots. The darkness is just a taste issue.

#4 Posted by DeF (4957 posts) -

there are still people bitching about this?

man, seriously ...

#5 Posted by dyong (331 posts) -

I'm hoping Torchlight 2 will look grimdark and grimy enough that someone will come along and create a cartoon lighting filter for it.

#6 Posted by Galiant (2195 posts) -

It hardly makes any difference at all and it's a stupid complaint to begin with.

#7 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1233 posts) -

Must use FXAA, so no thanks. I think the colors look quite bad as well.

#8 Edited by Gnubberen (780 posts) -

Never got the whole "it looks too bright", but that filter does seem to make things look sharper. Don't see a big change in the contrast though..

#9 Posted by Zero_ (1977 posts) -

I always though the controversy was not so much the light colour palette, but the more polygonal WoW look as opposed to a more gothic look. Hard to put my finger on it... Dark Souls had it.

#10 Posted by Megasoum (361 posts) -

Not only does that filter makes the game look worse (I personnally think it's fine by default btw) but those screenshots are clearly photoshops since those shots are not from the beta...

#11 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@Zero_ said:

I always though the controversy was not so much the light colour palette, but the more polygonal WoW look as opposed to a more gothic look. Hard to put my finger on it... Dark Souls had it.

Nope. The argument was that it was too "colorful".

#12 Posted by CaptainObvious (3000 posts) -

So it's just a little darker? MAN WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE.

#13 Posted by TheHBK (5549 posts) -

This is pretty fucking stupid.

#14 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1194 posts) -

Cool that they give them the option. But the people complaining about it being to "colorful" are crazy.

Diablo II only really had 4 colors and that was pretty lame:

Act 1: Red/Brown

Act 2: Yellow

Act 3: Dark Green

Act 4: Gray

Ignoring expansions because I don't know if those added new colors.

#15 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

wait...this shit argument is back? like...really?

#16 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@DeF said:

man, seriously ...

Seriously. You know how I know people are whining over nothing? Those filters barely did anything. They're slightly darker, that's it.

#17 Posted by Bucketdeth (8041 posts) -

The only thing I really hold against the game is that it looks like an overhead view of Wow.

#18 Posted by Zithe (1045 posts) -

@Megasoum said:

Not only does that filter makes the game look worse (I personnally think it's fine by default btw) but those screenshots are clearly photoshops since those shots are not from the beta...

I'm using the filter in the beta and I enjoy it. Your claim about photoshopped images is irrelevant. Even if they are, this is what the game looks like in real time.

@CaptainObvious said:

So it's just a little darker? MAN WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE.

You must be blind if you don't see the difference in detail.

@Rhaknar said:

wait...this shit argument is back? like...really?

No argument is back. Please check my edit.

#19 Edited by FateOfNever (1855 posts) -

This filter didn't remove the rainbow from the first set of screenshots, this is bullshit! Bullshit I say! Who the fuck wants rainbows in their dark, gritty world! We need more fucking blacks and brows and I don't want to see anything more than 10 feet in front of my character! Gah! Garbage I say!

#20 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

slider sucks bro

#21 Posted by iPliskin (117 posts) -

Thanks for the info. Indeed it looks sharper and with better contrast.

#22 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

it seems like the filter adds quite a bit of detail not just darker

#23 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@DeF said:

man, seriously ...

Seriously. You know how I know people are whining over nothing? Those filters barely did anything. They're slightly darker, that's it.

actually, if anything the filters fucked up the UI. Go back and look at how the game's UI looks with the filter, it's kinda harder to read the lettering.

#24 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1547 posts) -

Crushing the blacks and over-sharpening the game, oh boy.

#25 Posted by Lautaro (448 posts) -

You guys are acting as if OP forced you to install this or something, furthermore some of you have taken it personal or something that he even linked this (why?). If you don't like it don't install it, I don't understand the crazy hostility that he is getting.

#26 Posted by SlashDance (1839 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Crushing the blacks and over-sharpening the game, oh boy.

This.

Some people have strange taste. See most Skyrim FXAA injector mod for reference.

#27 Posted by Veektarius (4976 posts) -

None of those example pictures were colorful, so it's hard to see the complaint that your have remedied.

#28 Posted by Grimluck343 (1156 posts) -

@Lautaro said:

You guys are acting as if OP forced you to install this or something, furthermore some of you have taken it personal or something that he even linked this (why?). If you don't like it don't install it, I don't understand the crazy hostility that he is getting.

Gotta be angry about something.

#29 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE

#30 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Sometimes I wish I could care this much about pointless bull shit.

#31 Posted by benspyda (2042 posts) -

I think the game looks fine the way it is. It just needs to actually come out now.

#32 Posted by Hector (3375 posts) -

I'll just stick to the default look. I'm fine with it.

#33 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (443 posts) -

Diablo 2 was a very colorful game. Sometimes garishly. Why D3 looks odd is because they unnecessarily color parts of the world with weird tints. A whole dungeon might have a purple tint without any actual purple lighting. You end up making the really colorful parts less stand-out by washing the entire game with various tints.

#34 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

-The difference is insignificant.

-The game looks fine as it is.

-People are fucking insane releasing this before the fucking game comes out.

#35 Posted by TobbRobb (4817 posts) -

The after photos looks way better, it's not just darker, it's sharper. looks a bit more detailed.

#36 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Is everyone just so blinded by their nonsensical anger that they don't see that the textures look way sharper in the After photos?

#37 Posted by GaspoweR (3354 posts) -

Man, it did look more muddled and blurry in the before pictures. I like the fact that it makes it look sharper and also will not make me prone to headaches unlike prior to adding the filter.

#38 Posted by yyZiggurat (1023 posts) -

I'm playing Skyrim with a sharpened filter. This isn't my thing but if people enjoy D3 with this more power to them. I hope Blizzard allows it.

#39 Edited by kindisaurus (2791 posts) -

I find myself enjoying the pastel-y look more than the sharpened. Sometimes we don't need everything to look HD-ified or surreal.

#40 Posted by Tebbit (4480 posts) -

I don't like the new filter. All the colours are mad compressed. The before shots look much more naturalistic, the only thing the after-photos have is that they're sharper.

Yo, this is a PC game: You can turn the resolution up.

#41 Posted by Zithe (1045 posts) -

@Tebbit: You really think I'm not playing at the maximum resolution available?

#42 Posted by Tebbit (4480 posts) -

@Zithe: Heck son, I dunno. 1920x1200 is pretty sharp. 'sall I'm saying.

#43 Edited by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

I am convinced that every person here saying they see no difference or the only difference is color is blind. The first picture is ridiculously muddy, the after is much sharper. You can actually see some semblance of detail. The change is in fact so extreme it doesn't even look like something a simple filter can do, and I'm pretty sure the original was taken at a lower resolution and then upscaled.

And it still looks like shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.