Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

Hint: Turn elective mode off to lock skills in place

eternalshades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By eternalshades

Stupid thing happened to me just now.

Had the Nephalem Valor buff stack up to 5, got startled from an enemy popping up near me and tried to quickly move away. Accidentally moved the mouse just a little bit too far away and ended up clicking-and-dragging one of my skills off my action bar instead of moving. Since this constituted a change in skill set, I lost my stack :(

So, yeah... If you're level 60 trying to maintain your NV stack, just disable Elective Mode as that will prevent skills from being dragged off the action bar. *IMPORTANT NOTE* turning it off will keep your current skill set, even if it's a set that required elective mode to make.

Might be a little annoying to have to hit the option menu whenever you wish to change skills around, but I know of no other way to lock the action bar.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Cheers, I've had this happen.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By valrog

Can someone please explain to me what exactly is Elective Mode?

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Trilogy

@valrog said:

It allows you to move your skills to other slots on your skill bar and it also allows you to use multiple skills of the same type. So if you play a Barb for example, you could be using Wrath of the Bezerker and Earthquake at the same time.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MikeGosot
    @valrog said:

Diablo III starts with a mode where you need an offensive skill, a defensive skill, etc. Elective Mode gives you more freedom when choosing skills, letting you dick around with your builds, the way Diablo was meant to be played.
    kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By kindgineer

Holy crap, this mode exists?!?!

Damn, there are some mobs I can Faceroll with a new skill line-up I didn't know was possible.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By valrog

@Trilogy: @MikeGosot: Ah. Thanks. It does seem a lot better this way, too. Tips could've at least mention it...

doe3879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By doe3879

I notice elective mode when I 1st started, and I through the only use for it was to move the skill icon around. Basically a "Lock" feature so I just ignore.

Then I got to lvl 40ish and my friends laugh at me for not using it.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By DeF

@ck1nd said:

Holy crap, this mode exists?!?! Damn, there are some mobs I can Faceroll with a new skill line-up I didn't know was possible.

It's incredibly baffling to me that Blizzard felt like hiding this option. Especially since many people have a reaction like you because it would drastically alter (and often times even improve) their playstyle!

I only found it because I'm obsessed with clicking through all the options and settings when I get a new game. Instead of nerfing skills, Blizz should patch in a big tooltip that says "HEY! LISTEN! you can change your skills around if you enable this!"

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Metzo_Paino

I'm currently playing through Normal as a Monk and found that I don't need it. Though that might change as the difficulty increases I suppose. Currently I just use whatever I unlocked at that level until I unlock something to replace it. Makes gameplay quite refreshing.

NobodyHIFI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NobodyHIFI

The skill catagories were mashed together in one the the last patches in closed beta. Sometimes the grouping make sense... Other times they make no sense at all, making it not practical to play with it on. My biggest issue with my DH and having elective mode off is the preperation skill, it makes no sensing being lumped together with any other skill since its functionality is unique. Also, it is grouped togther with Vault,... I can't bring myself to leave town without preperation AND Vault in my build.

Leekspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Leekspin

@eternalshades: Had that happen to me last night on inferno butcher, I had to go find 5 more packs to get it stacked up again

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.