Hitting the "Auction Wall"

#1 Posted by Ratsor (26 posts) -

So I've been trying to get through ACT 1 of Nightmare with my Barbarian and have hit a very hard difficulty wall. I've gotten to the point where I HAVE to trade or use the Auction House to continue moving on. I have 0 interest in that. The auction house isn't very user friendly. I am not interested in researching what items I should have or how much is a fair offer... so my question is am I done with Diablo 3? I've put a few bids in for things but I have to wait for those auctions to finish to make any progress. Should I just go grind? Does that even work? Do I just not play Diablo until those auctions are done?

I don't like this situation. I want to play more. My current solution is starting new characters with different classes.

#2 Posted by Ares42 (2442 posts) -

Act 1 in NM seems quite early to having to resort to AH. Might wanna investigate builds some, or maybe as a last resort replay act 4 of normal a few times. However, if you're really anti-AH it's really just a matter of time before the game ends for you. The game is specifically designed to make the AH a big part of the game. Trying to progress through Inferno without using the AH at all would pretty much mean spending hundreds of hours just to have a chance at doing anything, and probably thousands of hours to make any significant progress.

#3 Posted by destruktive (1068 posts) -

If you have friends playing you could check if they have the Nightmarish staff of herding and go on farm trips there. But your friends needs to be somewhat good as Whimsyshire is basically Act 4 when it comes to difficulty.

I see more and more people talking about having problems with Nightmare and I really don't get it. I didn't get into any trouble until Act 3 on Hell but I might have been lucky with itemdrops.

#4 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

Act 1 on nightmare was pretty easy for me. I think I was level 33 or 34 after the normal playthrough. Maybe your build is messed up or something. I'm on Act 3 of nightmare with my barbarian now and still haven't used the AH.

#5 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

Sorry but if you have problems in nightmare so much so, that you are sure you have to go to the auction house you're doing something terribly wrong, not the game.

Act 2 Inferno, that's where you may hit that wall, not earlier, with no class.

#6 Posted by Binman88 (3679 posts) -

I don't think you're done, you just have to accept that AH use is pretty necessary if you want to make swift progress (not impossible to progress without it). All you need to be concentrating on below Inferno difficulty is DPS and maybe Vitality. So for your barbarian, you just want gear that ups your Strength, I guess. I play a Monk and just skyrocketed my Dexterity and bought fairly cheap weapons on the AH that had damage % increases, attack speed % increases, sockets (for more Dex or Attack Damage), stuff like that. As for armour, again I just bought level appropriate gear with high dexterity and other attack bonuses. It's quite easy to filter those things in the AH and set a buyout limit. Don't bother bidding on things. You should find gear that'll help you progress for a decent price.

#7 Posted by Twinsun (462 posts) -

just set the buyout price to something you can afford I can almost guarantee you will find something that will help you out alot.

#8 Posted by NorthSarge (211 posts) -

use buyout. faster buying = faster results from the AH.

#9 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

I had no problem on Nightmare simply using gear I found or crafted with the blacksmith.

Hell, on the other hand, is a huge leap in difficulty and pretty much requires you to either have been incredibly lucky, or resort to the AH. It's a shame, because it seems so inbalanced, I'm sure that's the point most people will call it quits. They really have to improve the items the blacksmith can make.

#10 Posted by StarvingGamer (7547 posts) -

So far I am on Act III of Inferno and have yet to use the AH.

Post your build and maybe the type of weapon(s) you're using and advice can be given.

But it sounds like the bottom line is you need to start killing with skill.

#11 Posted by ajamafalous (11590 posts) -

You really shouldn't be hitting any sort of wall before Act II Inferno. Post your build, let's see if we can fix it because I'm guessing that's what's wrong.

#12 Posted by Subjugation (4693 posts) -

I didn't have to use the AH until Act IV of Hell because my weapon dps was too low. I find it strange that you already need it for Nightmare, but that's beside the point. You can grind if you like, just repeating the last act you were successfully completing or killing champions. It may also help if you play through with a buddy that is competent. If your partner isn't good it would just make the game much harder. Also, don't bother with bids. I practically always use buyout because I hate waiting. The only time I even gave bidding a chance was when the item was really good and the buyout was unreasonably high, yet the starting bid was super low.

#13 Posted by Ratsor (26 posts) -

Here's my skills. I just went and bought new armor, shield, and weapon from AH so maybe I'll be alright. I'm also replaying act 4 on normal just for funs

#14 Posted by J12088 (430 posts) -

You shouldn't be having any troubles at that point. If you REALLY need better gear the smith will sort you out. Switch out whirlwind for Cleave and use the second rune for it (i think? the one that does damage on explosion) and remove wrath of the bezerker for earthquake. Probably want to drop ground stomp for the jumping move too.

See if that makes it any easier. I'm sure any build will work but those 3 skills did me fine on nightmare.

#15 Posted by mosdl (3223 posts) -

Are you playing in public games? That can help

#16 Edited by Ares42 (2442 posts) -

I might be off on the level restrictions, but I would recommend a build like this. Maybe replace Battle Rage with Ground Stomp/Wrenching Smach.

#17 Posted by Binman88 (3679 posts) -

I'm going to bet that anyone here who says they haven't needed the AH for Act 1 Inferno is talking out of their ass, unless they're just running past everything. Maybe I'm just shit at the game (I'm willing to believe that), but I am getting decimated by certain elite mobs in Act 1 Inferno (around the burning village area) even with purchased gear far better than anything I've found, and after trying numerous builds.

#18 Edited by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

@Binman88 said:

I'm going to bet that anyone here who says they haven't needed the AH for Act 1 Inferno is talking out of their ass, unless they're just running past everything. Maybe I'm just shit at the game (I'm willing to believe that), but I am getting decimated by certain elite mobs in Act 1 Inferno (around the burning village area) even with purchased gear far better than anything I've found, and after trying numerous builds.

While it seems technically possible to roll your own gear for A1 Inferno, it would certainly be a more time consuming/more expensive process because, in my experience, that blacksmith doesn't want to make ANYTHING for your class. That dick.

#19 Posted by mikeeegeee (1534 posts) -

@Ratsor: Quick and easy guide to the Auction House, Barbarian Edition:

1. Select the slot you'd like to upgrade. Personally, I'd go through every slot with this process. This should not take more than ten minutes.
  2. Set the level parameters for [x-5] - [x] where X is your level. So if you're level 25, search for items 20-25.
  3. Don't worry about rarity.
  4. Set your parameters to filter for "STRENGTH" and "VITALITY." Vitality is a universal stat that every class wants. Strength/vitality for barbs, Dex/vitality for monks and demon hunters, Intelligence/vitality for witch doctors and wizards.
  5. This last part is important: Set your max buyout to something very reasonable. If you have 100k gold, paying 5k for each item shouldn't be too bad. I've set my max buyout to 5k all the way through level 55 and have had no trouble finding gear that suits my needs. And i've saved 500k gold in the process, which I'm sure I'll need when gear becomes rapidly more expensive at level 60.

One last important tip: If you do nothing else, choose to upgrade your weapon. A decent weapon upgrade yields spectacular results.

Also,

@StarvingGamer said:

So far I am on Act III of Inferno and have yet to use the AH.

Buuuuuulllllshit. What class and how much of a grind has it been?

#20 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Rerun older stuff for more gear, nightmare will be tough for sure ( especially first time around and if you're unlucky with drops) but its cake compared to what's coming after.
Try to enjoy yourself and play for some more gear! Its very possible to progress far and get hit by a wall because the enemies damage jumped up and your gear hasn't.

#21 Posted by Ares42 (2442 posts) -

@Binman88 said:

Nah, it's just people playing Wizard or DH. They just completely ignore any survivability and go max DPS gear and kite. While they die on a regular basis they're still very able to make progress that way, unlike melee classes.

#22 Posted by StarvingGamer (7547 posts) -

@mikeeegeee: Demon Hunter, not much of a grind. I did I think 8 total Butcher runs and 3 Magda runs before tackling the rest of Act II and doing 2 Belial runs. About half the Butcher runs, one of the Madga runs and one of the Belial runs were solo. The rest were duoing with my Barb friend.

On one hand I've gotten a bit lucky with my Barb friend getting a decent 750 DPS bow on one of our runs but on the other hand, all of my amazing armor drops were Str/Vit/Resist All ie completely useless to me. Since I don't sell on the AH either I ended up just giving them all to my friend and am still running around in middling Dex gear. I was actually using level 22 pants until my third Magda run.

My DPS is around 20k and I'm rocking 37k HP with around 3k Armor and 100-170 in each resist. Granted I only JUST got to Act III yesterday but the first few packs of enemies I killed didn't seem significantly different from the Act II enemies. Actually they might have been easier.

#23 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4477 posts) -

Act 3 on Nightmare, not used Auction House until today and that was just to check it out. You're just bad. Also "The auction house isn't very user friendly. I am not interested in researching what items I should have or how much is a fair offer..." Fucking hell, it's not that hard. Just search for whatever you want and compare it's stats to your own.

#24 Edited by Robot_Moses (110 posts) -

Fellow Barb here, I never had to use the auction house or grind for gear until near the end of Act 2 on Hell. What level are you? Most people are 30ish by the start of Nightmare, that would be an issue if you're underleveled. Did you just bolt past all of the side stuff in Act 4 normal? Are you making sure to gear for STR/VIT primarily? There's little need to worry about other stats until Hell. Your build is also a little shaky, in my opinion, but it should be viable. Try this http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WVYkXR!bec!aaZaab build if you'd like and see if it does any better. Wrath of the Berserker is also a great skill once you unlock the Insanity rune at level 40, so try to fit that in where appropriate.

#25 Posted by Robot_Moses (110 posts) -

Other than that, try fighting Izual in Act 4 a few more times for gear and a super secret recipe that will eventually get you into a super secret place with some of the best gear on each difficulty. 

#26 Posted by gamefreak9 (2327 posts) -

I have no idea how your having trouble with Nightmare, I finished nightmare faster than I finished normal. My gear wasn't even great... you absolutely don't need good gear. Normal is the tutorial, nightmare you just need to be carful with skills, hell needs loot, and inferno needs divine intervention!

#27 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

"I'm having a problem getting through Nightmare..."

I literally cannot fathom that phrase. I just can't. I don't understand how ANYONE is having a problem getting directly into Hell difficulty. I mean, I ROLLED through Normal and Nightmare with absolutely no problems. Hell didn't even present too many problems until Act 4.

I mean, I'm not saying "oh, you suck, blah blah blah". I'm just saying that I don't understand what is hard about Nightmare at all, but I keep seeing people all around the internet (especially on the Diablo 3 forums themselves) that seem to be having a ton of issues getting through Nightmare stuff. It's just baffling.

#28 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

lol what's everyone's problem with the auction house? If I'm leveling up a new character I use it pretty much every 5-10 levels.

#29 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1782 posts) -

You don't need the auction house till inferno. Just go play Act 4 normal and grind levels, if it's too much.

#30 Posted by Sjupp (1901 posts) -

@StarvingGamer: How on earth can you make it through Act 2 Inferno with only 20k dps?!

#31 Posted by StarvingGamer (7547 posts) -
@Sjupp Snares and kite like a motherfucker. I once had to kite a Champ pack from Alcarnus all the way back to Caldeum.
#32 Posted by Enigmatical (132 posts) -
@haffy

lol what's everyone's problem with the auction house? If I'm leveling up a new character I use it pretty much every 5-10 levels.

This.

I friggin love the auction house. I've got a level 60 barbarian (my only character) that I just got to Act 2 Inferno with.

A typical hour of gameplay for me consists of running through Act 1, getting 5 stacks of Valor, and gathering a bunch of gold. Hop out. Hit the auction house. 350K gold? That's two really nice upgrades or maybe one -really- nice upgrade. Sell my stuff (using my handy-dandy Excel sheet I made that helps determine what I should sell at). Rinse, repeat.

I love the auction house. Gold is now equal to XP for me.
#33 Posted by Enigmatical (132 posts) -

On a side note, Blizzard did say 80% of characters are knee deep in nightmare.

If I could stomach it, using my high level barb to farm gear in the 35-50 level range pretty much guarantees the largest pool of customers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.