How Addictive is Diablo III

#1 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

#2 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

At first I was like... 'yeah - Diablo III's fun, I just don't see the addicitve quality of it - way too dull'. Then I played some more, difficulty ramped up, and everything started to come together.

I caught myself today starting up Diablo III while eating breakfast. I first killed the boss of Act II, before I got around to finish my meal. I just had all that pent up frustration from yesterday's broken auction house, that I just couldn't resist checking it out this moring. Miraculously, it was fixed. One thing led to another. And somehow breakfast time turned into Diablo III time. For an hour at least, before I recollected a more rational composure. Breakfast beats Diablo any day. At least that much, I get right.

I'm too old to be dangerously addicted to videogames anymore. Been there, done that. But damn, if Blizzard didn't bring the crack to a cocaine fight.

#3 Posted by AlisterCat (5480 posts) -

The feedback loop is addictive, but it depends on the person. I've played too much, but I've stopped plenty of times.

#4 Posted by gamefreak9 (2338 posts) -

Hell i'm taking whole days off from exam revision!

#5 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -

It's fairly addictive, but as with all games like this, the repetition usually stops me from playing too long at a time.

#6 Posted by yoshisaur (2634 posts) -

Depends on the type of person you are I think. I hav way too much responsibility to play like I use to when I was a teenager, but if I had the time I'm sure it would be different.

#7 Edited by Venatio (4482 posts) -

It´s pretty damn addictive and that desire for better loot and higher levels is big

But luckily I'm easily bored so I need breaks to keep the game fresh and fun

That's one of the reasons MMO's bore me fairly quickly

#8 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

I don't own Diablo III yet, but I've been watching streams of it... way~ too much.

#9 Posted by Brodehouse (9576 posts) -

I dont know, dude. That feedback loop is so small as to be completely unrewarding to me. I don't get excited when I get anything because I'll just get something better in 30 minutes. So much stuff drops that sorting through it to see if its better is a chore, and it doesn't necessarily feel like it's having an impact when I put it on. :/

I've tried really hard to get into the game, and aside from rare moments when the gameplay feels fresh and challenging it's been a real chore. I'm 24 or 25 and I don't know if I'll be able to finish it.

On the plus side I've been able to listen to several podcasts I'm behind on.

#10 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

I dont know, dude. That feedback loop is so small as to be completely unrewarding to me. I don't get excited when I get anything because I'll just get something better in 30 minutes. So much stuff drops that sorting through it to see if its better is a chore, and it doesn't necessarily feel like it's having an impact when I put it on. :/ I've tried really hard to get into the game, and aside from rare moments when the gameplay feels fresh and challenging it's been a real chore. I'm 24 or 25 and I don't know if I'll be able to finish it. On the plus side I've been able to listen to several podcasts I'm behind on.

I felt bored every now and then too on my normal difficulty playtrough.

Diablo III seems to truely begin in NG+. The normal difficulty is more of a class tutorial, rather than the 'real' Diablo experience. Blizzard put a lot of work into making NG+ NG++ and NG+++ a true step up everytime - more challenging and attention demanding gameplay, as well as ever increasing depth to itemization and stats-management. For my taste, it gets better and better the farther my hero progesses. I guess I'll start playing coop on Hell difficulty, which will be yet again a whole other ballgame.

Lootwise - you're doing it wrong. You sell everything for gold, except the very best pieces. You'll learn what's good quick enough. The modern Diablo player gets his upgrades from the AH. It's way less frustrating than what I imagine oldschool Diablo was like. I'm getting good loot every so often, but usually not stuff suited for my character. Everybody's in the same boat, hence there's loads of good stuff in the AH.

You'll also keep a very different pace in NG+. Always forward. Always be killin'. Always be lootin'. Gone through 3 Acts on Nightmare in the time I beat Act I on my first playthrough. No more silly 'uncovering the last corner of the map' bullshit. Forward. Forever forward.

#11 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

Dangerously. I come home from an exam at 4pm and don't stop playing until 2am. Then I wake up at 11am and don't stop playing until 6.30pm. The only reason I stop is cause others have shit to do or their fingers hurt from all the RSI.

#12 Posted by Irvandus (2809 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

The feedback loop is addictive, but it depends on the person. I've played too much, but I've stopped plenty of times.

Yeah, I play in about hour - hour and a half sessions. Its hard to stop during those sessions but around the hour fifteen mark I find my self bored of clicking and go do something else, and people say focus issues are bad for you.

#13 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

I've been playing a lot less than I thought I would. Younger me would be pissed at how little I've played.

#14 Posted by CaLe (3910 posts) -

I thought it would be. I played through normal and enjoyed it and could feel that draw to keep going and keep getting stronger, but after a while it just felt empty and I wanted to get back to my studying. I'm lucky in that I enjoy what I study more than gaming so I don't think addiction can become an issue for me.

#15 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@CaLe said:

I thought it would be. I played through normal and enjoyed it and could feel that draw to keep going and keep getting stronger, but after a while it just felt empty and I wanted to get back to my studying. I'm lucky in that I enjoy what I study more than gaming so I don't think addiction can become an issue for me.

You are studying the art of pleasing pussy I take it?

#16 Posted by Cubidog1 (214 posts) -

I wish I had Diablo 3, but I think I'll buy it later in the year. Mainly because I have such a huge backlog of games I need to finish(Red Dead Redemption, LoZ: Wind Waker, Saints Row The Third, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, etc.).

#17 Posted by Grillbar (1795 posts) -

i have played alot

started Wednesday i had been at work everyday and have allready played 36 hours and 12 min. though a small amount has been idle-ling. i completed all acts on nightmare in one go but i can control it, really i can.

#18 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1383 posts) -

Yeah, as you get older, you have less time to get addicted to games. But D3 still has that crack-feel, so it's still enjoyable.

#19 Posted by Lukeweizer (2606 posts) -

My PC broke down and I haven't been able to play for almost 2 days. I want to curl into the fetal position and cry.

#20 Posted by CaLe (3910 posts) -

@Seppli said:

@CaLe said:

You are studying the art of pleasing pussy I take it?

That wouldn't even make my top 10 of enjoyable things to spend time on.

#21 Posted by el_tajij (705 posts) -

Dangerously addictive. I was just talking to a guy who is in rehab after taking an overdose of heroin a month ago and everything he was talking about totally mirrors my Diablo 3 playing habits. =/

It's quite worrying.

#22 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Meh.

#23 Posted by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

I'm probably and old and jaded 23-old year man, but I'm nowhere near as addicted to Diablo III as I was to Diablo II. Then again, times change.

#24 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

The game is fun, but I already know what game addiction can do and it made me do summer school after graduation to have me keep my diploma : / Thanks to working nights full time, high school and raiding in WoW 4nights a week + pvp.. I want to play it more but honestly, Little here, a little there and I get my fill slowly which is all i need.

#25 Posted by JJOR64 (18904 posts) -

IT WILL CONSUME YOUR SOUL

#26 Edited by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

This addictive:

#27 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1035 posts) -

Addictive enough that I (mostly) ignore the occasional lag in my single-player monster slaying but not addictive enough for me to ignore the pain in my back from sitting on my suck-ass desk chair for two to three hours, thus forcing me to take an extended break.

#28 Posted by liquidmatt (230 posts) -

I have friends who played it for 15 hours straight, and did plan to join them. Instead, I've played roughly an act or half an act each day, and find it much nicer instead of making my wrists ache. It's nothing close to how addictive I remember D2 and LOD being.

#29 Posted by Xymox (2063 posts) -

26 hours played / 2 days

Not addicting at all. I'm perfectly fine. Truly.

#30 Edited by Skald (4367 posts) -

To be honest? I find it kind of boring and tiresome. Certainly not the evolutionary step in the series I was hoping it would be.

I mean, the gameplay is still pretty good, but the setting, story and voice acting are all terribly mediocre.

#31 Posted by myketuna (1651 posts) -

I think it would be even more addictive if my wrist/forearm wasn't ALREADY getting sore. I'm going down a dark path...

#32 Edited by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

I simply cannot get into it, but I was never a big Diablo fan to begin with.

It just seems like a single player MMO to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.